Johns Hopkins 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
44WeWantMore

Re: Johns Hopkins 2020

Post by 44WeWantMore »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:44 pmWe've talked previously about Hop's issues with net play over much of the past decade, with a few terrific moments of glory interspersed, just not enough. It seems to me that ER was a huge part of the problem, though one does have to wonder whether there have been other coaching style issues also at play.

Did I skim a treatise of yours on that very topic a couple of years ago? I intend to re-read it at leisure, and was disappointed to have been denied the opportunity.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Joey's done a lot of great things already in his young career but being voted a captain by his teammates as a sophomore is probably the most impressive. It's one thing to shatter all sorts of points records and make AA teams, it's another to earn the respect of the upperclassmen so quickly. That doesn't just happen in the stat sheet. There were a lot of seemingly tall tales about the kid's worth ethic prior to his freshman year but it's clear now that they were probably true. He's cut different. Just have to pray he stays healthy.

Also impressed by Smith's career trajectory—from a promising rookie campaign to essentially getting benched as a sophomore (amid reported injuries and some unconfirmed transfer rumors) to reinventing himself as a middie junior year and becoming a two-time captain. Those of you who go to the games know that outside of Jake Fox, Forry is probably the most animated guy in every huddle and on the sideline when he's not on the field. Interesting that they're still calling him a midfielder—may not mean anything but it seems like he's trending toward staying put while perhaps someone like Murphy will be getting a crack at starting at that third attack spot.

There are reasons to worry about this team—we've discussed them ad nauseam—but at the very least I think this is a strong group of captains.
DaneFan wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:58 pm Complete speculation on my part here. The Albany v Hopkins regular season series was put on hold when Kyle enrolled at Hopkins and there was talk that the series would resume after he graduated. While it would be really tough to get the game back on the schedule now that Hopkins is in the Big 10, wondering if they found a way to make it work. With the Albany v Syracuse now being pushed back, Albany now has its traditional first game date open in mid February.

Also, Tal Bruno is the volunteer assistant at Albany this year.
Wouldn't rule that out but also probably worth noting that the teams in this fall event seem to be rotating playing one another each year. Hopkins played Army in 2017 at BL, but not in 2018 at Albany, and now they're back to playing the Black Knights. Hop and Albany have played the last two years, so maybe it's their turn to not play each other.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

As a reluctant Hopkins fan, allow me the pleasure to say one thing positive about your program. Or, actually, about Joey Epstein (your program stinks).

I saw a game at Landon when Epstein was a freshman, or 6 years ago. I actually cannot recall who Landon played that day. Epstein was this tiny little guy on a Landon attack which had some real horses; his size (or lack of size) stood out to me.

I mentioned something smart-alecky to the guy I was with, along the lines of 'I wonder who this kid knows on the staff to be a starter'.

Epstein wasn't dominant in the game by any stretch, but what he was was a grinder and very smart. The kid was phenomenal at an on-field issue which bugs me about even the smartest attack, which is, he was always near the midfield line hoping to get a loose ball coming back his way. I think in that game he was able to secure 3-4 extra Landon possessions that would have gone the other way, simply because he had the hustle to be near the midfield line, and was small enough to get under the defenseman's stick and secure the loose GB.

He wasn't big enough to do any real damage on offensive ISO's, but he had a preternatural ability to know where to be, and when to be. I think he scored 2x that day.

Epstein had a grittiness that one does not often associate with private schools. He hustled, he fought, and he kept going like the Energizer bunny.

I didn't have the ability to see into the future that he would one day be a star in D1; in fact, I'd probably have said he'd be a D3 player at a school like Denison or Salisbury.

But obviously the kid is smart academically, and obviously he was born with a toughness that a coach is simply not able to teach; you have it or you don't.

Call me a fan of young Epstein. I hope he continues to shine.

Your team on the other hand... :lol:
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

Very impressive to be a sophomore Captain at a program like Hopkins or anywhere else. An amazing fact to me as a Villanova guy is that Ryan Arcidiacono was a four time captain for the Basketball team and led them to a National Championship in 2016. I was at one of those event where Coach Jay Wright took questions and I asked him how a freshman was named captain and he said " the team at the time needed leadership and we just knew he could handle it and had the respect of his team mates". Rare stuff but some guys just have what it takes. I wish him well.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Congratulations to the kids. where's the motivational speaker about not losing ncaa tournament games by an average of 7 goals over the last 12 years?
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

44WeWantMore wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:11 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:44 pmWe've talked previously about Hop's issues with net play over much of the past decade, with a few terrific moments of glory interspersed, just not enough. It seems to me that ER was a huge part of the problem, though one does have to wonder whether there have been other coaching style issues also at play.

Did I skim a treatise of yours on that very topic a couple of years ago? I intend to re-read it at leisure, and was disappointed to have been denied the opportunity.
I did try to detail the various issues in a post on LP, in response to an interesting back and forth discussion.

The discussion intersected the specifics of goalie development at various stages, the dynamics endemic to ER, and, more speculatively, Hop's goalie recruitment and management in specific.

I wish there was an easy way to retrieve that discussion as it went into considerable detail!

In short, my thesis is that:

1) Goalie development early on tends to spotlight/reward particular early maturation of athletic aptitudes far more than either a) mental aspects (resilience, leadership, full game perspective, etc) or b) technical excellence. Yet the latter two aspects are more determinative of later steady success than is the early maturation. There is a minimum bar of hand eye athleticism that all top tenders must have but the differential in steady performance is far more determined by the mental and technical aspects.

2) ER selects for this early spotlight on early maturity of athleticism (rather than mental or technical) and is further biased by the 'luck' of the player in terms of older tenders at his school. The HS player who starts on his varsity as a freshman or sophomore is assumed to be 'special' when others simply have juniors and seniors above them fully deserving of their opportunities to play.

3) Early success and acclaim has the unfortunate drag on player motivation to develop technical excellence. Moreover it is a drag on HS coaching attention to technical excellence as many HS coaches take for granted the player's performance. Some players overcome this drag in their own motivations and seek out external coaching development. Unfortunately there is a limited supply of truly excellent coaching of the position (club coaching also tends be very poor in this regard). As goalies come in all sorts of sizes and shapes, the technical aspects need to be adjusted based on their physical attributes. That said, there are some very fundamental aspects (for any tender) of hand positioning, footwork, and building of muscle memory that appear, at least this observer's eye, starkly ignored in the HS development process in many programs. And since the position becomes more and more differentiated by mental aspects the further up the pyramid of play, the harder it becomes to 'train' proper techniques for previously successful goalies.

4) This is why we see so-so performance of previously highly successful goalies as they hit top college play, faster pace, speed and placement of shots. The game moves much faster and likewise the demands on the tender to understand and even direct far more complex defensive schemes tends to really challenge tenders whose HS experiences didn't expose them to these sorts of development challenges. Yet, for a brief burst of play they can simply focus on stopping shots and excel in the moment. More power to these efforts, but it's because they get out of their heads briefly, not because they are reliably prepared to direct their defenses and be a steady bulwark under duress.

5) Indeed, the mental aspects become by far the most important differentiator. Back to ER: if a tender gets a ton of early acclaim based upon early physical maturation of strong talent, it can be very difficult for them to be resilient when success is inevitably challenged. Goalies constantly face a certain amount of 'failure' as balls go in...and they do, a lot. Some of these youngsters really struggle with the psychology of the position and 'wear down'. Terrific coaches understand how to manage this psychology, but that sort of recognition tends to be rare. ER doesn't pick-up on these challenges.

As to Hop, Petro had a tendency to be a first-mover at selecting goalies, earlier and earlier. Frankly, every single one of those very early choices did not live up to that sort of very high expectation. Several either did not end up at Hop or transferred out. Others have struggled.

On LP, a poster wrote a rather scathing, purportedly first-hand account of the experience of being a tender at Hop, primarily how 'mistakes' were treated by Petro and the damage that tone had on various players, including goalies. The LP moderators quickly removed those posts as 'unsubstantiated'.

I have no such inside information so anything I would suggest would be speculative in that regard.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:04 pm Joey's done a lot of great things already in his young career but being voted a captain by his teammates as a sophomore is probably the most impressive. It's one thing to shatter all sorts of points records and make AA teams, it's another to earn the respect of the upperclassmen so quickly. That doesn't just happen in the stat sheet. There were a lot of seemingly tall tales about the kid's worth ethic prior to his freshman year but it's clear now that they were probably true. He's cut different. Just have to pray he stays healthy.

Also impressed by Smith's career trajectory—from a promising rookie campaign to essentially getting benched as a sophomore (amid reported injuries and some unconfirmed transfer rumors) to reinventing himself as a middie junior year and becoming a two-time captain. Those of you who go to the games know that outside of Jake Fox, Forry is probably the most animated guy in every huddle and on the sideline when he's not on the field. Interesting that they're still calling him a midfielder—may not mean anything but it seems like he's trending toward staying put while perhaps someone like Murphy will be getting a crack at starting at that third attack spot.

There are reasons to worry about this team—we've discussed them ad nauseam—but at the very least I think this is a strong group of captains.
DaneFan wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:58 pm Complete speculation on my part here. The Albany v Hopkins regular season series was put on hold when Kyle enrolled at Hopkins and there was talk that the series would resume after he graduated. While it would be really tough to get the game back on the schedule now that Hopkins is in the Big 10, wondering if they found a way to make it work. With the Albany v Syracuse now being pushed back, Albany now has its traditional first game date open in mid February.

Also, Tal Bruno is the volunteer assistant at Albany this year.
Wouldn't rule that out but also probably worth noting that the teams in this fall event seem to be rotating playing one another each year. Hopkins played Army in 2017 at BL, but not in 2018 at Albany, and now they're back to playing the Black Knights. Hop and Albany have played the last two years, so maybe it's their turn to not play each other.
Interesting observation Hopfan16.
IMO strong captains who truly have the respect of their team mates can make an enormous difference during crunch time.
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

nyjay wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:53 pm A sophomore captain. How many of those have there been? https://hopkinssports.com/news/2019/9/2 ... tains.aspx
Epstein, who will be the first sophomore captain at Johns Hopkins since Kevin Mahon in 1975.
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:19 am Congratulations to the kids. where's the motivational speaker about not losing ncaa tournament games by an average of 7 goals over the last 12 years?
Do you ever get tired of your own posts?

Maybe you should be their motivational speaker. I'm sure the players being told they're worthless and that you're glad to be rid of them by an anonymous internet poster who says some variation of the same two points in every comment is exactly the kind of guy that can turn this program's playoff performance around. Someone get this guy on the payroll!

In other news, the Jays picked up their second 2021 commit—Nick Kaufman, a D/LSM from St. Mary's.
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

Alumni game info?
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Hoponboard wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:44 pm Alumni game info?
I think 5 OCT, but I’m not 100% sure.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:57 am
I think 5 OCT, but I’m not 100% sure.
Stopped Watch is right twice a day!

Email came out on 12 AUG. HOB, I assume you know how to register?

Hopkins Lacrosse Alumni Weekend

Friday, October 4, 2019
Men’s Lacrosse Golf Outing
1:00pm
The Suburban Club of Baltimore

Saturday, October 5, 2019
Men’s Lacrosse Alumni Game
6:00pm
Homewood Field

Lacrosse Tent Party
7:30pm
Homewood Field

(I’m doubtful - I’m awaiting a movement order.)
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Who you lining up against? McDonogh girl's?
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Peter Brown wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:28 am Who you lining up against? McDonogh girl's?
That's kind of a silly troll isn't it? - many many programs have an alumni vs. current team game as it gives the current players a chance to run around against somebody different and it doesn't count against your "event" total. Probably lots of things to pick at Hopkins for - this isn't one of them.
NOVALax2015

Post by NOVALax2015 »

Peter Brown wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:28 am

In which case I assume we can expect to see you there in a raincoat?
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

for anybody that cares - Hopkins has a midfield recruit from the junior class
Sam Teachout from Dallas Jesuit - no smurf at 6'3" - doesn't mind shooting from distance with right hand
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

51percentcorn wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:03 am for anybody that cares - Hopkins has a midfield recruit from the junior class
Sam Teachout from Dallas Jesuit - no smurf at 6'3" - doesn't mind shooting from distance with right hand
That's three recruits in the 2021 class so far (same as Maryland). It does not appear that the uncertainty surrounding Petro's status beyond 2020 has deterred kids from committing. I'm also aware of at least a couple "top ranked" guys in that class who have taken official visits to Homewood but have yet to make final decisions. Almost a month after Sept. 1, 5 of IL's top 10 and 12 of its top 20 remain uncommitted.
NOVALax2015 wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:06 am
Peter Brown wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:28 am

In which case I assume we can expect to see you there in a raincoat?
Probably with some binoculars and a bag of candy too.
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

Teachout has an impressive Sophomore highlight tape. Cannon shot, pinpoint passing on assists, good off the ground, swim moves on clears and can play some defense.

From MaxPreps: https://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/sam-te ... videos.htm
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

I’m probably going to make it to the Alumni Game, courtesy of the USN.

Might try for the press box.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Hoponboard wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:15 am Teachout has an impressive Sophomore highlight tape. Cannon shot, pinpoint passing on assists, good off the ground, swim moves on clears and can play some defense.

From MaxPreps: https://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/sam-te ... videos.htm
HOB you'll be there next weekend with the camera I hope?

One scrimmage for the winter confirmed—Marquette at Homewood January 25.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”