Coaching Carousel

D1 Womens Lacrosse
8meterPA

Re: Coaching Carousel

Post by 8meterPA »

September 21st and I believe there are still 3 D1 schools without a head coach - St Bonaventure, Iona, and St Francis. Feel badly for the kids, most fall ball starts next weekend.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

8meterPA wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:11 pm September 21st and I believe there are still 3 D1 schools without a head coach - St Bonaventure, Iona, and St Francis. Feel badly for the kids, most fall ball starts next weekend.
Do you see this as a byproduct of the explosion of interest in the sport? Just not enough coaches to meet the demand?
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

Absolutely is a large part of it...throw in D2, D3, club and high school and there just isn’t enough coaches to fill the spots. Problem is that it doesn’t pay nearly enough to make a career of it, so doesn’t get the numbers.
casuallaxfan

Post by casuallaxfan »

8meterPA wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:28 pm Absolutely is a large part of it...throw in D2, D3, club and high school and there just isn’t enough coaches to fill the spots. Problem is that it doesn’t pay nearly enough to make a career of it, so doesn’t get the numbers.
The pay is the issue. There are plenty of more than capable high school coaches that would love to make the leap but they can't afford the pay cut. Outside of the top 10 or 15 programs who get paid a decent salary and can make nearly what they make in salary in camps, high school teachers who coach make more than nearly everyone else. I did a post on the old site about this and i was shocked how low people get paid (any state schools salary are public record).

Iona is in one of the most expensive zip codes in the nation to live. I bet they pay much less than a local teacher (and the local teachers can't afford to live there). Bonaventure and St. Francis are much cheaper to live but like Iona i bet the pay is garbage for the hours required to build a competitive team.
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

St. Bonnie's not having a coach has nothing to do with the explosion of the sport or lack of qualified candidates. Their problem is: they don't support the program within the department and the coaching community knows that. Coaches aren't beating down the door to get that job; knowing when they arrive their budget will be putrid, they will be making a first year teacher's salary, scholarships non existent, etc, etc.
Bart

Post by Bart »

LaxPundit07 wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:48 am St. Bonnie's not having a coach has nothing to do with the explosion of the sport or lack of qualified candidates. Their problem is: they don't support the program within the department and the coaching community knows that. Coaches aren't beating down the door to get that job; knowing when they arrive their budget will be putrid, they will be making a first year teacher's salary, scholarships non existent, etc, etc.
Don't really know much about St Bonnie but they did just start a men's team. They hired an established coach away from Canisius (100-157, 74-65 MAAC w/2 NCAA bids) but I have no idea as to what his status is at the time. Buffalo news reported that the school plans to ramp up scholarship opportunities over the next four years (this was june 2017) to the full 12.6 level. I would think if the men have 12.6 the women would have the same allotment as well? No idea on the salary.
lax1823

Post by lax1823 »

LaxPundit07 wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:48 am St. Bonnie's not having a coach has nothing to do with the explosion of the sport or lack of qualified candidates. Their problem is: they don't support the program within the department and the coaching community knows that. Coaches aren't beating down the door to get that job; knowing when they arrive their budget will be putrid, they will be making a first year teacher's salary, scholarships non existent, etc, etc.
Spot on LP07. I know one championship winning lower level college coach who was offered the position and turned it down for the exact reasons you specified.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

Lauren Kahn is the new head coach of Iona.
Delco Transplant

Post by Delco Transplant »

Tough to see Lauren Kahn leave Columbia, but her hiring at Iona is well deserved. Good luck to her

https://icgaels.com/news/2019/9/30/laur ... coach.aspx
cltlax

Post by cltlax »

Anyone heard about the new Wofford coach dropping all of their 2020 commits? Apparently the current Freshmen and Sophomores have to try out for the team. :shock:
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

Allow me to take the cold hearted approach re: Wofford. What exactly has anyone on the current roster done to cement their roster spot? Program is 6-28 in their first two seasons. Yes, the Goucher South experiment didn’t work. Perhaps new staff will bring Division 1 flavor to this program. To be fair to program and players, I have no clue what type of support the administration offers the program.
cltlax

Post by cltlax »

LaxPundit07 wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:13 pm Allow me to take the cold hearted approach re: Wofford. What exactly has anyone on the current roster done to cement their roster spot? Program is 6-28 in their first two seasons. Yes, the Goucher South experiment didn’t work. Perhaps new staff will bring Division 1 flavor to this program. To be fair to program and players, I have no clue what type of support the administration offers the program.
I agree with the current players. It really sucks for the 2020 commits that don't have a spot now. I guess they can still go to Wofford and just try out like all the rest...
wlaxnut

Re: Kathy Taylor - Colgate

Post by wlaxnut »

Not sure if this is old news here, but just thought I would throw it out there in case it is new news.

https://www.uslaxmagazine.com/college/w ... to-colgate
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

St Francis announces the hiring of Tracy Coyne as head coach, who left George Washington last year. I had no idea that there were still programs without a head coach...what the heck did they do for fall ball? recruiting?

I checked and it looks like St Bonaventure is still without a head coach, feel for the kids. Any other programs without a coach?
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

8meterPA wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:15 pm St Francis announces the hiring of Tracy Coyne as head coach, who left George Washington last year. I had no idea that there were still programs without a head coach...what the heck did they do for fall ball? recruiting?

I checked and it looks like St Bonaventure is still without a head coach, feel for the kids. Any other programs without a coach?
I am available to coach the Bonnies but not on Fridays. My band usually has a gig on Fridays.
If we need that extra push over the cliff, ya know what we do...eleven, exactly.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Nigel wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:51 pm
8meterPA wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:15 pm St Francis announces the hiring of Tracy Coyne as head coach, who left George Washington last year. I had no idea that there were still programs without a head coach...what the heck did they do for fall ball? recruiting?

I am available to coach the Bonnies but not on Fridays. My band usually has a gig on Fridays.
You get the call yet?
HVGuy

Post by HVGuy »

Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Hmmm. Any news on interim?
cltlax

Post by cltlax »

Awkward timing - just a couple days after signing day...
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

cltlax wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:02 am
Awkward timing - just a couple days after signing day...
That is awkward.....and it was the first day of IWLCA Convention in Palm Beach....I was wondering if Bucknell has a rep at the convention looking for a replacement....I would.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”