Johns Hopkins 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
tech37

Re: Johns Hopkins 2020

Post by tech37 »

a fan wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:53 pm
ABV 8.3% wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:27 am This is an unrealistic comment. Every single goalie in Div. 1 is solid.
Of course they are. You're arguing just to argue. I'm speaking relatively.
ABV 8.3% wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:27 am Guess you are yearning for the 80's, where shooters had one foot outside the restraining line.
Nope. For one, save percentages have been dropping like a stone the last 20 years, which I find interesting.
That's because of the sticks ;)
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Wood Sticks 4ever wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:07 pm
ABV 8.3% wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:29 am
Wood Sticks 4ever wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:16 pm Good video of Johnny Cohen interview (from May):

https://wsbt.com/sports/content/burger- ... hnny-cohen

Incidentally, the roster says he is 5'4", but he looks bigger (reported as 5'9" in the video and looks to be about the same height as his lax teammates). Makes me wonder if somebody just fat-fingered the roster data
Only the best.....probably the same person that couldn't spell Quinn's name right.
Good news - Cohen grew 4" over night and is now listed at 5'8". Sadly though he has gone from playing ATTACK to playing ATTACL. Only the best indeed
Petro is trying a new approach: long-stick attack.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

44WeWantMore wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:54 pm
Wood Sticks 4ever wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:07 pm
ABV 8.3% wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:29 am
Wood Sticks 4ever wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:16 pm Good video of Johnny Cohen interview (from May):

https://wsbt.com/sports/content/burger- ... hnny-cohen

Incidentally, the roster says he is 5'4", but he looks bigger (reported as 5'9" in the video and looks to be about the same height as his lax teammates). Makes me wonder if somebody just fat-fingered the roster data
Only the best.....probably the same person that couldn't spell Quinn's name right.
Good news - Cohen grew 4" over night and is now listed at 5'8". Sadly though he has gone from playing ATTACK to playing ATTACL. Only the best indeed
Petro is trying a new approach: long-stick attack.
Consult Mr. Wehrum if that's the case...
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

The save % discussion is interesting, but i think misses the point. Seems to me that save % is a terrible performance metric, akin to a pitcher's W-L record in baseball. It depends on as many things outside the control of the goalie as within his control. Seems to cry out for an advanced metric.

In today's game, two things strike me as essential in a top goalie: 1) save a very high percentage of "savable" (not a word) shots, and 2) excellence in the clearing game.

Re: "savable" shots, this is on the defense, not on the goalie. Again, advanced stats would help, but a few thoughts. I would argue the first 3 are more related to the defense than the goalie.
- "Primary" vs "secondary" shooters. Shooting is much better across the board than it was 10 years ago. Probably due to stick technology and better strength training. The result: the best shooters on the team are going to score with a high % (assuming shots are put on goal). To put it simply: no goalie on earth is stopping half of Ryan Brown or Mac O'Keefe's shots. Period. Defenses have to figure out ways not to give these guys good looks. Easier said than done, but critical. I would be interested in seeing #s, but it occurs to me that Petro's defenses early in his career were very good at this, while more recently they've been poor. I won't go into complexity of slide packages, but...
- Time-and-room shots: see above
- Shot location: related to better shooting ability/ velocity across the board. Shots bound for the corner or right inside the pipe are going in, regardless of who's in goal.
- Shot distance. This is completely on the goalie. Shots from 12+ yards have to be stopped, unless placement is outrageous. This was a glaring hole in Hopkins' goalie play last year (and, honestly, has been a problem for awhile).

Bottom line, someone should be able to put together a "savable shot" metric, and goalies should be judged on this rather than overall save %. Saving "unsavable" shots is nice; can definitely change game momentumand get into shooters heads. But coaches should decisions based on important stats and not the eye-candy of the amazing save. Darby is a good example; the guy definitely made his share of outrageous saves (especially on close in shots), but seemed to give up too many soft goals. And he wasn't helped by a D that gave up a ton of great shots to primary shooters.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

primitiveskills wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:16 pm The save % discussion is interesting, but i think misses the point. Seems to me that save % is a terrible performance metric, akin to a pitcher's W-L record in baseball. It depends on as many things outside the control of the goalie as within his control. Seems to cry out for an advanced metric.

In today's game, two things strike me as essential in a top goalie: 1) save a very high percentage of "savable" (not a word) shots, and 2) excellence in the clearing game.

Re: "savable" shots, this is on the defense, not on the goalie. Again, advanced stats would help, but a few thoughts. I would argue the first 3 are more related to the defense than the goalie.
- "Primary" vs "secondary" shooters. Shooting is much better across the board than it was 10 years ago. Probably due to stick technology and better strength training. The result: the best shooters on the team are going to score with a high % (assuming shots are put on goal). To put it simply: no goalie on earth is stopping half of Ryan Brown or Mac O'Keefe's shots. Period. Defenses have to figure out ways not to give these guys good looks. Easier said than done, but critical. I would be interested in seeing #s, but it occurs to me that Petro's defenses early in his career were very good at this, while more recently they've been poor. I won't go into complexity of slide packages, but...
- Shot location: related to better shooting ability/ velocity across the board. Shots bound for the corner or right inside the pipe are going in, regardless of who's in goal.
- Shot distance. This is completely on the goalie. Shots from 12+ yards have to be stopped, unless placement is outrageous. This was a glaring hole in Hopkins' goalie play last year (and, honestly, has been a problem for awhile).

Bottom line, someone should be able to put together a "savable shot" metric, and goalies should be judged on this rather than overall save %. Saving "unsavable" shots is nice; can definitely change game momentumand get into shooters heads. But coaches should decisions based on important stats and not the eye-candy of the amazing save. Darby is a good example; the guy definitely made his share of outrageous saves (especially on close in shots), but seemed to give up too many soft goals. And he wasn't helped by a D that gave up a ton of great shots to primary shooters.
Excellent
“I wish you would!”
HGK25

Post by HGK25 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:42 pm
primitiveskills wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:16 pm The save % discussion is interesting, but i think misses the point. Seems to me that save % is a terrible performance metric, akin to a pitcher's W-L record in baseball. It depends on as many things outside the control of the goalie as within his control. Seems to cry out for an advanced metric.

Could not agree more
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

https://deadspin.com/rutgers-center-not ... 1838314635

for some reason I saw this clip and it reminded me of this forum.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

No one is disagreeing about the inability to stop outside shots. We’ve been complaining about this issue for a while now on this board. As far as I know there is no official metric for save % v shooter location. But poor ssdm play and the inability to stop long range shots has led to the 13 GAA disaster that is the worst defense in the Petro era
But after 2 saves against UMD and an abysmal performance against penn state a change should have been made. Had the switch been made sooner the season outcome could well have been different. We don’t feel the Coaches are using the talent they do have intelligently.
Anyway I’m hoping the lack of a contract extension will be a serious wake up call for this staff. The writing may well be on the wall.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:31 pm No one is disagreeing about the inability to stop outside shots. We’ve been complaining about this issue for a while now on this board. As far as I know there is no official metric for save % v shooter location. But poor ssdm play and the inability to stop long range shots has led to the 13 GAA disaster that is the worst defense in the Petro era
But after 2 saves against UMD and an abysmal performance against penn state a change should have been made. Had the switch been made sooner the season outcome could well have been different. We don’t feel the Coaches are using the talent they do have intelligently.
Anyway I’m hoping the lack of a contract extension will be a serious wake up call for this staff. The writing may well be on the wall.
Maybe he will be offered a position within the Athletic Director’s hierarchy. Or to Annual Giving. Like TC. Bump “upwards” and out.

Maybe he could take over the “Student-Athlete Success” Associate Athletic Director position. He could run some brutal academic practices...
johnnyonthegunpowder

Post by johnnyonthegunpowder »

jhu06 wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:13 pm https://deadspin.com/rutgers-center-not ... 1838314635

for some reason I saw this clip and it reminded me of this forum.
Look saccurate, 06. The QB is Cohen, and the center who clocks him in the face is this thread. This thread is approaching PLL preseason photoshoot levels of cacospectamania.
ABV 8.3%

Post by ABV 8.3% »

ABV 8.3% wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:27 am This is an unrealistic comment. Every single goalie in Div. 1 is solid.
Of course they are. You're arguing just to argue. Sure, guess I am the one that critiqued a goalie. Lots of causeNeffect denialist on fanlax, must be a sympton of TDS, relatively speaking. I'm speaking relatively.
ABV 8.3% wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:27 am Guess you are yearning for the 80's, where shooters had one foot outside the restraining line.
Nope. For one, save percentages have been dropping like a stone the last 20 years, which I find interesting. And for two, I thought it was interesting that we're not seeing the top goalies in the Final Four like we used to. Because NO ONE SHOOTS with one foot outside the restraining today.....GEEZubus

That's all. No need to make a Federal case of it.
Also, many video editing has simple tools to determine distance (think drone/engineering-videos ) and it's use for determining distance of shot, is pretty good. Trying to track release points, relative to the goal....and also projectory of the ball. Also if the goalie was screened (often missed )
Waiting for scouting software to automatically include this function. Got a kid working on AI to scout the games, stats, etc.
oligarchy thanks you......same as it evah was
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Oct. 12:

12pm vs. Penn

2pm Headstrong ceremony

2:30pm vs. Army

Both games at Penn. Albany is also involved but the Jays are not playing them this year.

https://pennathletics.com/news/2019/9/1 ... ?path=mlax
tech37

Post by tech37 »

ABV 8.3% wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:24 am
Of course they are. You're arguing just to argue. Sure, guess I am the one that critiqued a goalie. Lots of causeNeffect denialist on fanlax, must be a sympton of TDS, relatively speaking. I'm speaking relatively.
Nope. For one, save percentages have been dropping like a stone the last 20 years, which I find interesting. And for two, I thought it was interesting that we're not seeing the top goalies in the Final Four like we used to. Because NO ONE SHOOTS with one foot outside the restraining today.....GEEZubus

Also, many video editing has simple tools to determine distance (think drone/engineering-videos ) and it's use for determining distance of shot, is pretty good. Trying to track release points, relative to the goal....and also projectory of the ball. Also if the goalie was screened (often missed )
Waiting for scouting software to automatically include this function. Got a kid working on AI to scout the games, stats, etc.
Again, what's changed over the past 20 years?...the equipment/sticks. Defenses are not able to stop offensive players as in past and perhaps goalies are facing more shots. I'd like to see how much shots-on-goal has increased with all the other factors you want to look at. Along with more shots for goalies to deal with, I'd say shooting skill/placement level has improved as well. Just my 2 cents...
DaneFan

Post by DaneFan »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:47 pm Oct. 12:

12pm vs. Penn

2pm Headstrong ceremony

2:30pm vs. Army

Both games at Penn. Albany is also involved but the Jays are not playing them this year.

https://pennathletics.com/news/2019/9/1 ... ?path=mlax
Complete speculation on my part here. The Albany v Hopkins regular season series was put on hold when Kyle enrolled at Hopkins and there was talk that the series would resume after he graduated. While it would be really tough to get the game back on the schedule now that Hopkins is in the Big 10, wondering if they found a way to make it work. With the Albany v Syracuse now being pushed back, Albany now has its traditional first game date open in mid February.

Also, Tal Bruno is the volunteer assistant at Albany this year.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

A sophomore captain. How many of those have there been? https://hopkinssports.com/news/2019/9/2 ... tains.aspx
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

nyjay wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:53 pm A sophomore captain. How many of those have there been? https://hopkinssports.com/news/2019/9/2 ... tains.aspx
Says last time was 1975, when Gerald Ford was president and when many on this forum were wearing bell-bottom pants and plush velvet suits. ;)

Congratulations to the three captains.

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

nyjay wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:53 pm A sophomore captain. How many of those have there been? https://hopkinssports.com/news/2019/9/2 ... tains.aspx
Kudos to those that chose Joey and allowed this to happen, The stereotypical 'only seniors' can be captain is quite dumb, IMHO. I can somehow see it at service academies only because of their silly seniority/rank rules,
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

Congrats to all three, very special to have a sophomore captain, and for Forry to be one of only 15 to be named captain twice in Hopkins history.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

xxxxxxx wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:50 pm Congrats to all three, very special to have a sophomore captain, and for Forry to be one of only 15 to be named captain twice in Hopkins history.
Great accomplishment for Forry. Kudos to Colwell.

As for Epstein, I’m sure a big part of it was his work ethic. Great example, even for the seniors.

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:25 pm
Of course they are. You're arguing just to argue. I'm speaking relatively.
Nope. For one, save percentages have been dropping like a stone the last 20 years, which I find interesting. And for two, I thought it was interesting that we're not seeing the top goalies in the Final Four like we used to.

Roommate is in my alma mater’s HOF as a Goalie. He told me just about 20 years ago that he’s had to stop playing lacrosse because of stick technology. Goalie’s at a big disadvantage now. He was in the Mammoth front office as a side gig many years ago, BTW.
It is indeed a more challenging position to play today than the decades ago that many of us were playing, just as the game was more challenging in my era than in my dad's. Both stick technology and athlete conditioning are better for far more players. But likewise, the athletes in the net today are better conditioned and trained, with better equipment.

Goalie saves % have declined from the high 50's or low 60's being expected for an AA level player to mid to high 50's, rarely a 60+
% for a player facing top competition. But there's certainly every reason to expect a solid starter in today's game to me above 50% over the course of a season. Below that and it really starts to hurt the team. That doesn't mean a team can't have success nevertheless, just as it can be done with a sub 50% FOGO crew, but it's sure as heck harder. It's particularly impressive when a tender manger to achieve above 50% with a defense that gives up a lot of shots, especially a lot of shots from good positions. But this is what any strong team should be looking for from their goalie.

That shouldn't be confused with the capability to play exceptionally well over a short stretch of games. Most of the top teams have a guy or two or even three who can perform at a very high level, time to time. Doing it reliably is the challenge.

We've talked previously about Hop's issues with net play over much of the past decade, with a few terrific moments of glory interspersed, just not enough. It seems to me that ER was a huge part of the problem, though one does have to wonder whether there have been other coaching style issues also at play.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”