Johns Hopkins 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Sagittarius A*

Re: Two Major Official DocBarrister Predictions

Post by Sagittarius A* »

a fan wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:05 am
Sagittarius A* wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:05 am
DocBarrister wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:27 pm 1. The Johns Hopkins University Blue Jays men’s lacrosse team will reach the Final Four in 2020.

2. Coach Dave Pietramala will consequently receive a contract extension.

I have spoken.

DocBarrister 8-)
I’d say if that’s his only hope of a contract extension he’s in trouble. Nobody is reaching the final four saving 45% in goal.
That's what I used to think. Not the case anymore. Yale made it just last year at 45%. Goalies aren't all that important anymore. It's crazy.
Yale had a face off man winning 90%
Sure if you can dominate at the x and you have a great offense you can mask a bad defense. While I expect the JHU faceoffs to be improved in 2020 I don’t see the kind of domination to mask a defense giving up 13 goals a game. Against playoff teams the save percentage dipped to 41%. That’s first found exit territory
a fan

Re: Johns Hopkins 2020

Post by a fan »

Not disagreeing. Just pointing out that the need for a solid goalie if you want to advance in the tournament disappeared while we weren't looking.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

a fan wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:35 pm Not disagreeing. Just pointing out that the need for a solid goalie if you want to advance in the tournament disappeared while we weren't looking.

Alex Rode was the tournament MVP last year...on the team that won the tournament...and is his team's goalie.

Or 'weren't you looking'?

:lol:
a fan

Post by a fan »

That does nothing to diminish my point. Don't need a top, or even solid goalie to advance in the tournament anymore.

The goalie with the highest regular season save percentage in the Final Four was Penn St.'s goalie. He was ranked #44 in the NCAA. That doesn't strike you as a tad strange, given our sport's history?

Rode finished sub .500, btw. Maryland lit him up in the QF's. 12 goals, 6 saves. Didn't matter. Virginia still advanced.

Edited to clarify I was speaking about the regular season save percentage...before the NCAA Tournament.
Last edited by a fan on Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wood Sticks 4ever

Post by Wood Sticks 4ever »

Good video of Johnny Cohen interview (from May):

https://wsbt.com/sports/content/burger- ... hnny-cohen

Incidentally, the roster says he is 5'4", but he looks bigger (reported as 5'9" in the video and looks to be about the same height as his lax teammates). Makes me wonder if somebody just fat-fingered the roster data
The dogs bark, but the caravan moves on
Antonio114

Post by Antonio114 »

a fan wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:54 pm That does nothing to diminish my point. Don't need a top, or even solid goalie to advance in the tournament anymore.

The goalie with the highest save percentage in the Final Four was Penn St.'s goalie. He was ranked #44 in the NCAA. That doesn't strike you as a tad strange, given our sport's history?

Rode finished sub .500, btw. Maryland lit him up in the QF's. 12 goals, 6 saves. Didn't matter. Virginia still advanced.
Rode finished the year at 51%. Stopped 61% against Duke (19 saves/12 goals allowed) and 61% against Yale (13 saves/8 goals allowed). You can at the very least make the case that UVA would have lost the Duke game with a less competent goalie.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

A fan's point can be supported however. 2014 is prime example
Luke Aaron's stats from the quarterfinal to championship game
29 goals allowed 15 Saves - Wolf, Class, Jones and Fowler etc. can make up for alot of ills
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

steel_hop wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:35 am
a fan wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:32 am
steel_hop wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:31 pm As I said, what i hope is short term pain, for what I hope is long term gain, might be a thing.
Fixed it for you. ;)

There are no guarantees.
well, there is only one guarantee but I know what you are saying.

And sometimes change is needed.
Like moving from Ann Arbor...
a fan

Post by a fan »

Antonio114 wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:53 pm Rode finished the year at 51%. Stopped 61% against Duke (19 saves/12 goals allowed) and 61% against Yale (13 saves/8 goals allowed). You can at the very least make the case that UVA would have lost the Duke game with a less competent goalie.
Sure.

All I wrote was that "you don't need a top or even solid goalie to advance in the Tournament anymore."

It's true. Rode finished the regular season sub .500, and wasn't in the top 40 for save percentage. He was a below average goalie in the regular season, and clearly had a great Final Four. I was simply remarking that this wasn't the case for decades. For years you had the top goalies...at least one or two....in the Final Four every year.

This year we didn't have any of the top 30 goalies in the Final Four. I just thought that was noteworthy. I'd imagine that coaches have noticed.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

I don't think anyone here has argued that you need a top goalie to go far in the playoffs. Pretty sure most of us would settle for average at this point, or even below average. What we've had recently is well below even "below average."

In the 4 quarters + OT of the Penn State game and the first quarter of the ND game, we had 9 saves on 24 goals allowed. 27%. Sure, it's possible to get around that if you're pretty much perfect in every other facet of the game, but that's a great way to lose. Obviously the defense had a lot to do with that but it feels like I've pointed out this fact a million times already—there were D1 defenses as bad or worse as Hop's in 2019 that had better save percentages. At a certain point you just need to be getting a better number there no matter what the defense as a whole is like. The Jays do not have a superhuman faceoff guy or an unstoppable juggernaut of an offense to mask a woeful deficiency in the goal. I think both faceoffs and offensive play are pretty solid on this team, with the potential to be even better in 2019 than they were in 2020, but they won't be good enough to make up for 45% saves on the season and sub 30% in big games late in the year.

There are now two UA goalies on the roster and another top kid who didn't miss out on the UA game by much. No excuse IMO for none of these guys to be able to get to 50%. It would make quite the difference I think. From what I've heard, at least one of the goalies put in an incredible amount of work during the offseason.
ABV 8.3%

Post by ABV 8.3% »

a fan wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:54 pm That does nothing to diminish my point. Don't need a top, or even solid goalie to advance in the tournament anymore.

The goalie with the highest regular season save percentage in the Final Four was Penn St.'s goalie. He was ranked #44 in the NCAA. That doesn't strike you as a tad strange, given our sport's history? NO. Our sports history had US world team members arriving at college without having played ONE minute of lacrosse.

Edited to clarify I was speaking about the regular season save percentage...before the NCAA Tournament.
This is an unrealistic comment. Every single goalie in Div. 1 is solid. Guess you are yearning for the 80's, where shooters had one foot outside the restraining line. Calling Rode NOT a solid goalie ? :roll:

What mind set comes to mind when you eat up Maryland taking 27 shots, but UVA taking 16 more shots. (43) But Dolan, Terps goalie, only had 3 more saves.

It's really simple, unless you are ignoring shot location. Your perogative .
oligarchy thanks you......same as it evah was
ABV 8.3%

Post by ABV 8.3% »

Wood Sticks 4ever wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:16 pm Good video of Johnny Cohen interview (from May):

Incidentally, the roster says he is 5'4", but he looks bigger (reported as 5'9" in the video and looks to be about the same height as his lax teammates). Makes me wonder if somebody just fat-fingered the roster data
Only the best.....probably the same person that couldn't spell Quinn's name right.
ABV 8.3%

Post by ABV 8.3% »

a fan wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:40 pm
Antonio114 wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:53 pm Rode finished the year at 51%. Stopped 61% against Duke (19 saves/12 goals allowed) and 61% against Yale (13 saves/8 goals allowed). You can at the very least make the case that UVA would have lost the Duke game with a less competent goalie.
Sure.

All I wrote was that "you don't need a top or even solid goalie to advance in the Tournament anymore."

It's true. Rode finished the regular season sub .500, and wasn't in the top 40 for save percentage. He was a below average goalie in the regular season, and clearly had a great Final Four. I was simply remarking that this wasn't the case for decades. For years you had the top goalies...at least one or two....in the Final Four every year.

This year we didn't have any of the top 30 goalies in the Final Four. I just thought that was noteworthy. I'd imagine that coaches have noticed.
So, you are off the BIG or ACC juice, and worshipping the MAAC or NEC higher save percentage goalies as the best. Why doesn't the AA committee vote that way? Certainly, CTO's matter for poles? Top people just don't get the votes.

Laundry matters.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Do you mean that the first four in save percentage got AA awards, but numbers 5-8 did not? Goss (Brown) Kneese (Nitme Lions) didn't really have much better save % #'s than Rode. Or, related to Hopkins, Darby's save percentage not much worser than Starr's (Yale), who also played in the championship game. It's like caring about Shaq's free throw percentage.

Hopkins having only ONE offensive player, in the top 100, for PPG , is NOT a problem ?

Important stats like APG, Shooting %, (rare that a championship isn't in the top 5 for these vital stats ) don't add to facing more shots?

UVA finished 5th, with 8.89 Assists per game, Hopkins a respectable 19th, with 7.25 APG

UVA, certainly an outlier, stats wise, was 13th in shooting percentage. .311. HOPKINS? finished 30th, with a .290 shooting percentage.

Yeah, goalie saving , or NOT saving, 3 yard shots is the problem. :shock:
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

ABV 8.3% wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:27 am

The goalie with the highest regular season save percentage in the Final Four was Penn St.'s goalie. He was ranked #44 in the NCAA. That doesn't strike you as a tad strange, given our sport's history? NO. Our sports history had US world team members arriving at college without having played ONE minute of lacrosse.

This is an unrealistic comment. Every single goalie in Div. 1 is solid. Guess you are yearning for the 80's, where shooters had one foot outside the restraining line. Calling Rode NOT a solid goalie ? :roll:

What mind set comes to mind when you eat up Maryland taking 27 shots, but UVA taking 16 more shots. (43) But Dolan, Terps goalie, only had 3 more saves.

Begs the obvious question: do you think that a 'not-solid' goalie is more a result of a leaky defense than the goalie himself? I do. Most D1 goalies are incredibly talented. And I think that observation is more relevant to the Hopkins goalie save % than what posters here might want to admit.

For last year's Loyola Hop game, with the exception of Duffy's first goal crank left handed (admittedly, far out), most of Loyola's goals were doorstep goals. Whoever #23 is for Hopkins, he treated Scanlan like Scanlan had rabies...leading to Scanlan waltzing in to the goal numerous times.

Hard to blame goalies alone if your defense is disjointed.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Peter Brown wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:35 am

Begs the obvious question: do you think that a 'not-solid' goalie is more a result of a leaky defense than the goalie himself? I do. Most D1 goalies are incredibly talented. And I think that observation is more relevant to the Hopkins goalie save % than what posters here might want to admit.

For last year's Loyola Hop game, with the exception of Duffy's first goal crank left handed (admittedly, far out), most of Loyola's goals were doorstep goals. Whoever #23 is for Hopkins, he treated Scanlan like Scanlan had rabies...leading to Scanlan waltzing in to the goal numerous times.

I kind of agree with Brownie here. Think at least some (but certainly not all) of the poor save percentage was due to the Blue Jays’ inconsistent defense.

Brownie, you’re doing a heck of a job!

DocBarrister ;)
@DocBarrister
Wood Sticks 4ever

Post by Wood Sticks 4ever »

ABV 8.3% wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:29 am
Wood Sticks 4ever wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:16 pm Good video of Johnny Cohen interview (from May):

Only the best.....probably the same person that couldn't spell Quinn's name right.
Good news - Cohen grew 4" over night and is now listed at 5'8". Sadly though he has gone from playing ATTACK to playing ATTACL. Only the best indeed
The dogs bark, but the caravan moves on
PeteStreet

Post by PeteStreet »

DocBarrister wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:48 am
Peter Brown wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:35 am

I kind of agree with Brownie here. Think at least some (but certainly not all) of the poor save percentage was due to the Blue Jays’ inconsistent defense.

Brownie, you’re doing a heck of a job!

DocBarrister ;)
The Blue Jays defense thinks its ok to ball watch since the goalie is allowed to. I saw way too many shots from the crease last year. I have a harder time attributing poor save percentage from outside shots to anyone but the goalie, but the defense has been noticeably sloppy at protecting the crease area in front of the goal.
a fan

Post by a fan »

ABV 8.3% wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:27 am This is an unrealistic comment. Every single goalie in Div. 1 is solid.
Of course they are. You're arguing just to argue. I'm speaking relatively.
ABV 8.3% wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:27 am Guess you are yearning for the 80's, where shooters had one foot outside the restraining line.
Nope. For one, save percentages have been dropping like a stone the last 20 years, which I find interesting. And for two, I thought it was interesting that we're not seeing the top goalies in the Final Four like we used to.

That's all. No need to make a Federal case of it.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

a fan wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:53 pm
ABV 8.3% wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:27 am This is an unrealistic comment. Every single goalie in Div. 1 is solid.
Of course they are. You're arguing just to argue. I'm speaking relatively.
ABV 8.3% wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:27 am Guess you are yearning for the 80's, where shooters had one foot outside the restraining line.
Nope. For one, save percentages have been dropping like a stone the last 20 years, which I find interesting. And for two, I thought it was interesting that we're not seeing the top goalies in the Final Four like we used to.

That's all. No need to make a Federal case of it.
Roommate is in my alma mater’s HOF as a Goalie. He told me just about 20 years ago that he’s had to stop playing lacrosse because of stick technology. Goalie’s at a big disadvantage now. He was in the Mammoth front office as a side gig many years ago, BTW.
“I wish you would!”

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”