Johns Hopkins 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
HopFan16

Re: Johns Hopkins 2020

Post by HopFan16 »

51percentcorn wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:14 am My observations (caveated of course by the fact that the labels don't necessarily mean anything but IF you took them at face-value)
- Just when you thought it could be safe to go back in the water with Hopkins trending towards a smaller roster of 44 in 2019 now we are back at 52 - using my magic number of 23 - about 29 players are going to have a swell time
- First time I have seen - to my memory - Hopkins identify the defensive middies - Lilly has joined that group along with Hubler and Pion and 2 freshmen - McManus appears to have joined the long stick corp - makes sense - there's clearly not enough defensemen on the roster
- 17 long-poles - again makes complete sense
- Zach Ernst appears to have departed as well
- Smith is identified as an attackman - probably always has been - I didn't check
- Is Krampf really 5'8" and 200 lbs?
- Didn't realize Hawley is Petro's nephew
- John Cohen is 5'4" 150 lbs - finally someone to stand in front of Concannon during the national anthem
- Again - taking the positions listed at face-value - you have 11 middies and 3 Attack/Middies - don't see the mid-field scoring unless DeSimone completely turns it around and Zinn explodes
Weird, it was updated again since I last checked. Pretty sure Ernst was there originally.

Mildly confused why Handsor isn't listed with the D-middies.

Jaronski now listed at LSM after being at D a few hours ago. That was quick! (Though makes sense, IMO).

5 FOGOs seems like a lot—none of them are seniors—and we're getting another one next year. Again, wonder if the 6'5'' Heverly could find the field in a different way.

Baskin is listed at midfield while Keogh is A/M—how on earth do they make that distinction?

Krampf is indeed a pretty stocky kid. Built like Matt Rambo.

Pretty amazing Cohen was such a good basketball player in high school at 5'4''.

Brunner and Schreiber appear to have decent size for midfield—and are actual midfielders, not converted attackmen.
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

Pretty amazing Cohen was such a good basketball player in high school at 5'4''.

Our own Mugsy Bogues!
Wood Sticks 4ever

Post by Wood Sticks 4ever »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:26 am Pretty amazing Cohen was such a good basketball player in high school at 5'4''.
As I recall, the Jerry Schnydman theory was that the closer to the ground you were, the more ground balls you can get.
The dogs bark, but the caravan moves on
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

Wood Sticks 4ever wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:44 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:26 am Pretty amazing Cohen was such a good basketball player in high school at 5'4''.
As I recall, the Jerry Schnydman theory was that the closer to the ground you were, the more ground balls you can get.
+1 :lol:
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

steel_hop wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:55 pm Yeah, it was awful to see UVA worse off for that one 1 year and win a title less than 3 years after showing Dom his walking papers. Just awful.
Ok Dr. Hindsight I'm sure if you were a UVA fan in 2017 when they went 0-4 in the conference and missed the NCAA tournament again that you'd be the absolute model of serenity. No way you would have been calling for his head right? It would have been total calm and confidence in the new staff, 100% committed to staying the course and seeing things through. You definitely would have made it to 2019 without once raising the idea that maybe Tiffany was the wrong guy and that they needed to try again elsewhere.
[/quote]

No, I wouldn't. In fact, if he didn't make the tournament, I wouldn't be upset. I understand there is a process. First years are generally up and down but it is seeing if there is development of the players to the system. Even two years there can be ups and downs. By year 3 and he is 0-4 in the conference, there certainly would be a case for alarm. It is why the plug should have been pulled 3-4 years ago.

As I said, sort term pain for long term gain is definitely a thing.
Last edited by steel_hop on Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
DocBarrister

Two Major Official DocBarrister Predictions

Post by DocBarrister »

1. The Johns Hopkins University Blue Jays men’s lacrosse team will reach the Final Four in 2020.

2. Coach Dave Pietramala will consequently receive a contract extension.

I have spoken.

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
a fan

Post by a fan »

steel_hop wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:31 pm As I said, what i hope is short term pain, for what I hope is long term gain, might be a thing.
Fixed it for you. ;)

There are no guarantees.
44WeWantMore

Re: Two Major Official DocBarrister Predictions

Post by 44WeWantMore »

DocBarrister wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:27 pm 1. The Johns Hopkins University Blue Jays men’s lacrosse team will reach the Final Four in 2020.

I have spoken.

DocBarrister 8-)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2O8gTIr4lys
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

DocBarrister wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:27 pm 1. The Johns Hopkins University Blue Jays men’s lacrosse team will reach the Final Four in 2020.

I have spoken.

DocBarrister 8-)
I’d say if that’s his only hope of a contract extension he’s in trouble. Nobody is reaching the final four saving 45% in goal.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

I have spoken.

DocBarrister 8-)
Indeed, you have spoken, in a way sure to draw responses. Final Four, well Hop did it in 2015, and I would like to see it happen again (providing they don't knock off Yale or another Ivy to get there), BUT, geez, there are some other teams that will probably be very good in 2020. Not impossible if JHU plays like it did in the two Maryland games and the Penn State overtime game, and the luck of the draw favors the Jays, but that's several needles that need to be perfectly threaded. Would the program be better off with a new coach?
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

I have spoken.

DocBarrister 8-)

There is only one B1G team you should beat, Michigan (though even Michigan is improving fast); every other B1G game Hopkins will be the decided underdog.

As for your OOC schedule, assuming (for argument's sake) you play the same teams this year as last, you might beat The Mount (though no gimme like last year; they are significantly improved) and perhaps Delaware, though again, no gimme since it would be an away game. Maybe Towson, as they will be in rebuilding mode, although they seem to have Hop's number now. That's 4 games out of 16 where Hop will be the favorite going in and 12 games where Hop is the underdog. Stacking a team with IL and UA 5 Stars doesn't do much good when the culture isn't optimal.

The law of averages say you go close to 4-12. And you're counting on a FF?!? :lol:
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

So many predictions. ;)
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Peter Brown wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:33 am

I have spoken.

DocBarrister 8-)

There is only one B1G team you should beat, Michigan (though even Michigan is improving fast); every other B1G game Hopkins will be the decided underdog.

As for your OOC schedule, assuming (for argument's sake) you play the same teams this year as last, you might beat The Mount (though no gimme like last year; they are significantly improved) and perhaps Delaware, though again, no gimme since it would be an away game. Maybe Towson, as they will be in rebuilding mode, although they seem to have Hop's number now. That's 4 games out of 16 where Hop will be the favorite going in and 12 games where Hop is the underdog. Stacking a team with IL and UA 5 Stars doesn't do much good when the culture isn't optimal.

The law of averages say you go close to 4-12. And you're counting on a FF?!? :lol:
This is like your sixth or seventh post where you've demonstrated a complete inability to understand basic math concepts...I'm beginning to get genuinely worried.

Hop has 13 games on its regular season schedule—the three extra games you are counting to get to 16 came in the Big Ten and NCAA tournaments. So the worst they can possibly go is 4-9, which isn't going to happen, but for the sake of dumb arguments let's say it does. That means the season is over. Try to follow along with me here. If they're playing 16 games, that means they would have had to win at least 8 (probably more) just to get to that point. Get it?

Also, can you explain, without trolling, why Hopkins would be the underdog against Rutgers, a team they've beaten three times in a row? In the words of John Harbaugh, the last time they played, Rutgers couldn't cover a corpse with a blanket—much less Joey Epstein (or even Cole Williams). Hopkins will be favored against Michigan and Rutgers, underdogs against Penn State and Maryland (though both those games are at Homewood, so who knows) and probably a toss-up with Ohio State. The Jays have never gone worse than 3-2 in conference play. Since you bring up conference play though—is Loyola ever going to win the puny Patriot League again? There's like one other decent team in that conference and apparently they can't even beat them.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

a fan wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:32 am
steel_hop wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:31 pm As I said, what i hope is short term pain, for what I hope is long term gain, might be a thing.
Fixed it for you. ;)

There are no guarantees.
well, there is only one guarantee but I know what you are saying.

And sometimes change is needed.
ABV 8.3%

Post by ABV 8.3% »

I have spoken.

DocBarrister 8-)
don't fall for the tricksteer lawyer word craft. Doc was NOT specific about "which" Final Four, now was he. Yup, you're claiming Hopkins will make the Big TEN FF :D I predict even this won't happen. Michigan has Hopkins number, in 2020, someone with a spine in the Terps locker room will be upset about the two losses last year. Or, one could hope. that's two BiG losses . OSU will be better, in 2020.

But, you know what I predickt? That Hopkins will NOT make the BiG FF, but WILL make the N$aa's, based on rpi/sos, etc. IE: losing.
s
oligarchy thanks you......same as it evah was
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:07 am
Peter Brown wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:33 am

I have spoken.

DocBarrister 8-)

This is like your sixth or seventh post where you've demonstrated a complete inability to understand basic math concepts...I'm beginning to get genuinely worried.

Hop has 13 games on its regular season schedule—the three extra games you are counting to get to 16 came in the Big Ten and NCAA tournaments. So the worst they can possibly go is 4-9, which isn't going to happen, but for the sake of dumb arguments let's say it does. That means the season is over. Try to follow along with me here. If they're playing 16 games, that means they would have had to win at least 8 (probably more) just to get to that point. Get it?

Also, can you explain, without trolling, why Hopkins would be the underdog against Rutgers, a team they've beaten three times in a row? In the words of John Harbaugh, the last time they played, Rutgers couldn't cover a corpse with a blanket—much less Joey Epstein (or even Cole Williams). Hopkins will be favored against Michigan and Rutgers, underdogs against Penn State and Maryland (though both those games are at Homewood, so who knows) and probably a toss-up with Ohio State. The Jays have never gone worse than 3-2 in conference play. Since you bring up conference play though—is Loyola ever going to win the puny Patriot League again? There's like one other decent team in that conference and apparently they can't even beat them.

Kyle Prouty is the luckiest thing to happen to Hopkins since Paul Rabil...without Prouty last year, you'd have been smoked by Rutgers and several others (disguising what is actually a not very good team due to a toxic culture). As I recall, and I do since I was regrettably dragged to Homewood for that game, Rutgers only ran out of time, they were not thoroughly beaten. I'm not vested enough here to look up the stats, but trust me when I say the game got reallllllllllllly close in Q4.

As for the # of games Hopkins plays in the regular season, maybe it seems to the fan in me that you guys play more than you do....your season is interminably long, trying to crawl to .500 to give needed cover to the NCAA Committee to get you into the post-season (only to see you guys get hammered yet again!). :lol:
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

ABV 8.3% wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:40 am

I have spoken.

DocBarrister 8-)
don't fall for the tricksteer lawyer word craft. Doc was NOT specific about "which" Final Four, now was he. Yup, you're claiming Hopkins will make the Big TEN FF :D I predict even this won't happen. Michigan has Hopkins number, in 2020, someone with a spine in the Terps locker room will be upset about the two losses last year. Or, one could hope. that's two BiG losses . OSU will be better, in 2020.

But, you know what I predickt? That Hopkins will NOT make the BiG FF, but WILL make the N$aa's, based on rpi/sos, etc. IE: losing.
s

If it isn't obvious by now, the Committee does everything but publicly copulate to get Hopkins into the NCAA's. And every year, like clockwork, they get absolutely, unreservedly, clobbered. Meanwhile, a more deserving team watches from the stands, hacked off and bent on revenge for the next year.

Some year soon, Hopkins will go 3-10...mark my words, it's coming.
a fan

Post by a fan »

steel_hop wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:35 am
a fan wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:32 am
Fixed it for you. ;)

There are no guarantees.
well, there is only one guarantee but I know what you are saying.

And sometimes change is needed.
No argument there.
a fan

Post by a fan »

Peter Brown wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:19 am If it isn't obvious by now, the Committee does everything but publicly copulate to get Hopkins into the NCAA's. And every year, like clockwork, they get absolutely, unreservedly, clobbered. Meanwhile, a more deserving team watches from the stands, hacked off and bent on revenge for the next year.
Not Hopkins, Big Ten, or ACC teams' fault that other coaches are too dumb to understand what SOS and RPI does to their chances of getting a bid.

Change the criteria, or get used to more of it. But stop whining. And learn how math works.
a fan

Post by a fan »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:05 am

I have spoken.

DocBarrister 8-)
I’d say if that’s his only hope of a contract extension he’s in trouble. Nobody is reaching the final four saving 45% in goal.
That's what I used to think. Not the case anymore. Yale made it just last year at 45%. Goalies aren't all that important anymore. It's crazy.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”