Informal survey for those participating on this women’s Div 1 forum

D1 Womens Lacrosse
wlaxnut

Informal survey for those participating on this women’s Div 1 forum

Post by wlaxnut »

Have you ever played or coached lacrosse—women’s or men’s?

Do you know someone close to you, a family member or a friend’s family member, playing or having played women’s or men’s lacrosse?

If you were to guess, how many current members participating, regularly or not, on this women’s division 1 board fit into either or both categories above?

How many have never played, coached, refereed, or had a family member or a friend’s family member play lacrosse, past or present?
wlaxnut

Re: Informal survey for those participating on this women’s Div 1 forum

Post by wlaxnut »

Long, long time ago my oldest son played lacrosse briefly during one year in middle school. Apart from that, I have had no previous involvement with the sport.
Last edited by wlaxnut on Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
4girls

Post by 4girls »

I have played men's lacrosse, coached men's lacrosse as well as coached women's lacrosse. I have 4 daughters that all play lacrosse.
cltlax

Post by cltlax »

I run the middle school girls lacrosse program and have 2 daughters that currently play (8th grade and 11th grade)
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

Daughter currently plays D1 lacrosse...many years on club circuit and top HS team. Through that interaction over the past 10+ years we know many current college players and families across pretty much every conference.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

8meterPA wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:56 am Daughter currently plays D1 lacrosse...many years on club circuit and top HS team. Through that interaction over the past 10+ years we know many current college players and families across pretty much every conference.
Ditto on the above....Additionally, youngest D is a 2021 and is going through recruiting now. I have played lax (not college) and coached Girl's rec.
laxfan22

Post by laxfan22 »

never played, daughter is HS sophomore who plays. Great game!
HkyLvr

Post by HkyLvr »

Daughter played D1 lacrosse, is currently a D1 assistant coach...involved over 12 years with a club program, and local HS team. Coached Youth, MS and HS for 14 years. Know many current college players and families across pretty much every conference and division.
hsllax

Post by hsllax »

Played college lacrosse, former college HC, coached high level high school and club lacrosse, several former players are current D1 athletes.
Anotherlaxdad

Post by Anotherlaxdad »

I played rec through HS and coached boys and girls rec teams, then was an assistant coach on my daughter's HS team.

My son started to play at four years old and played for two rec teams, several clubs and three years of varsity lacrosse with one state championship and one year of D3 lax.

My daughter is currently a freshman playing D1. She started playing at age six and played for two rec teams and two club teams, three years of HS varsity and two state championships.
lax1823

Post by lax1823 »

Never played, became a lacrosse fan from watching indoor Box lacrosse (NLL & OLA), had children and ended up coaching boys & girls youth/rec when no other parent stepped up. Transitioned from coaching youth to becoming a High School Lacrosse Official. Currently have a daughter who plays D1 (Junior).

Between the coaching, officiating in a hot bed, and years on the club circuit, know a ton of players and familys across all divisions and conferences.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Have you ever played or coached lacrosse—women’s or men’s?

Yes, coached boys and girls youth lacrosse and now coach girls high school lacrosse. Never played; grew up in Jersey in the 60s and 70s when only the prep school kids played; Delbarton didn't even have a lacrosse program -- imagine.

Do you know someone close to you, a family member or a friend’s family member, playing or having played women’s or men’s lacrosse?

Yes; daughter played.

If you were to guess, how many current members participating, regularly or not, on this women’s division 1 board fit into either or both categories above?

A lot, maybe all.

How many have never played, coached, refereed, or had a family member or a friend’s family member play lacrosse, past or present?

Few, maybe none.

I started coaching boys, because the local rec league supplied a guy with good flow and stick skills who had no earthly idea how to manage 20 or so 8-year olds. So a buddy of mine and I started at U11 and coached boys through U15, and then I learned the girls game when my daughter started to show interest. I ended up liking the women's game much more than men's, partly because the men's game -- which I like a lot and follow avidly; don't get me wrong -- is usually overcoached and slow, and often emphasizes a lot of macho sh*t that I abhor. The girl's and women's games, once the kids know how to catch and throw at speed, is just a really fun, elegant and athletic game to watch and coach.
ILLaxParent

Post by ILLaxParent »

Coached girls' rec and reffed girls' rec and HS.

Similar to others with children playing in college (1 currently, 1 is a 2021 in recruiting now), know a lot of people from club, recruiting, and college relationships.
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

Former Division 1 and 3 Head Coach. Played Division 3. Coached high school and club.

Love the sport and want to see it flourish at all levels. Hate early recruiting. Believe the game is over-coached and under-taught. Too many coaches coaching and not teaching. Micromanaging and not empowering their young women to be autonomous adults.
nomofogo

Post by nomofogo »

Grew up next to Onondaga Nation where lacrosse is more than a game. First year varsity sport my senior year in HS. Walked on at a Ivy league University, 3 Ivy Champs, two Natl Champs. Coached two sons primarily in youth and early HS and daughter in grade school. Sons continued to play at Penn State, Albany, and on the Latvian National Lacrosse Team (yes there is one). Daughter a Jr in HS is expected to play at Ohio State and on the Latvian team at the world games in Towson 2021. My nieces coach lax HS in NJ and Colorado and coach/play for team Latvia, my sons coach lax in Los Angeles. I am not Native but I plan on taking my lacrosse stick with me through the next transition.
Latvia in European games:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vY-kI0dtjKM
nomofogo

Post by nomofogo »

Lyle and Miles Thompson show their appreciation for the sport at six minutes into this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tbvj8pNs_g
crusader

Post by crusader »

3 daughters 2 D1 and a D3 college player. I was D3 college athlete now coaching club and ex HS coach. No experience on Mens side just parent coach of D's
Ipayforlax

Post by Ipayforlax »

Son played at D1 level and daughter currently plays D1. I played soccer in college and coached in the Clubs for over a decade. Never played lacrosse but sure have watched a lot of it!
Maryland75

Post by Maryland75 »

Played in college, have three boys who played in HS. I started two men’s lacrosse programs which developed into state champions in New York and Pennsylvania and have coached youth and club lacrosse.
Turtles Lax

Couldn’t play...

Post by Turtles Lax »

...because lax had not yet been invented when TL was a little tyke.

Seriously, lax was found nowhere near home in TL’s formative years. First exposure was in college. First game was at the behest of the original GOAT; hooked immediately. 2020 will be TL’s 20th season with the greatest team in all the land.

That includes six (6!) Natty ‘Ships, lotsa conference titles, Cindy and Coach Cathy, many friendships, multiple weddings attended, one (1!) marriage officiated (truth), and a whole lotta fun long the way.

Founder of The University of Maryland Women’s Lacrosse Invitational Golf Classic the 16th edition of which will be held tomorrow, September 20. It is one of the three very largest sports fundraising initiatives at the University. Approaching one million dollars net! :o

Peace, out.

TL

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”