Obituaries - Gone but not forgotten.

General Chatter
Brooklyn

Re: Obituaries - Gone but not forgotten.

Post by Brooklyn »

one of my all time fave openings:

Peter Fonda, 79, RIP.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

Philadelphia is today mourning the loss of a titan of the youth lacrosse community here, Peter Samson...RIP, Pete.

Peter Samson, 67

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Not a recent obit. Truly gone but not forgotten.

If we need that extra push over the cliff, ya know what we do...eleven, exactly.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Whitaker

Jack Whitaker - https://awfulannouncing.com/cbs/longtim ... at-95.html

Imagine all the stories he had over his many years in pro sports.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Leslie Gelb, renowned journalist, author of the Pentagon Papers, and foreign affairs commentator:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/ob ... story.html

"It took 36 people 18 months to complete the project, which resulted in a series of monographs and documents totaling 47 volumes. By the time it was finished in 1969, McNamara was no longer defense secretary. Dr. Gelb was waved away when he brought the finished volumes to McNamara.

The Pentagon Papers detailed — often in forthright terms — a haphazard history, fraught with chaos and ineptitude, of U.S. military and diplomatic efforts in Vietnam.

“Part of the tragedy of Vietnam,” Dr. Gelb wrote in his summary of the report, “was that the compromises our Presidents were prepared to offer could never lead to an end to the war.”

Moreover, he wrote, before troops were sent to Vietnam, “no systematic or serious examination of Vietnam’s importance to the United States was ever undertaken within the government.”
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

The media's publication and extensive coverage of the Pentagon Papers led to the end of the criminal war on Vietnam. Sadly, the media failed to do the same with the Downing Street Memo as the British press did or the criminal war on Iraq could have been ended as well.

ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

Eddie Money at 70. Great band.

A year and a half ago I was in Pittsburgh to visit the Andy Warhol Museum. I was reluctant to go because I’m not a big fan of his work, but it was a really interesting exhibit. The gift shop was unusually interesting especially when I came upon a metal tumbler. It made me erupt in laughter. On the outside it said,

I’ve
got
two
chickens
to
paralyze
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

This one sucks. She was a great lady. Been watching this week going back to David Brinkley hosting it and she was just an excellent source of balanced, thoughtful and considerate wisdom in the face of the ralph reeds and Katrina VanDerHuyeven (sp) they’d put on there yelling and being overly dogmatic and wrong.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Oldbarndog

Post by Oldbarndog »

Antonio Brown's career?
"Dear Naps. Sorry I was such a jerk to you when I was a kid"
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Oldbarndog wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:12 pm Antonio Brown's career?

Released one day before his bonus payment was due. Management sure knows how to renege on a contract with impunity. But at least his net worth is well into the multi millions so he'll do all right.

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Wow, not the response I would’ve expected. There’s three teams that are carrying actual cash and salary cap hits for this clown. He needs to go away like rae carruth and Greg hardy.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Robert Hunter, Grateful Dead Collaborator and Lyricist, Dead at 78
One of rock’s most ambitious and dazzling lyricists was literary counterpoint to the band’s musical experimentation

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi ... ad-889788/

Robert Hunter, the poet and writer who provided the Grateful Dead with many of their vivid and enduring lyrics, died Monday night. He was 78. No cause of death was provided.

“It is with great sadness we confirm our beloved Robert passed away yesterday night,” Hunter’s family announced in a statement. “He died peacefully at home in his bed, surrounded by love. His wife Maureen was by his side holding his hand. For his fans that have loved and supported him all these years, take comfort in knowing that his words are all around us, and in that way his is never truly gone. In this time of grief please celebrate him the way you all know how, by being together and listening to the music. Let there be songs to fill the air.”

Awesome lyricist.

Trinity

Post by Trinity »

Hunter wrote a line for everything, and had to convince his editor Jerry Garcia that it was perfect, worth singing a million times. He saw us as gamblers, sailers, cowboys, losers and lovers. When my first publisher realized I was a Deadhead, he told me most of the novelists in NYC were fans. A great writer. Rip.
“I don’t take responsibility at all.” —Donald J Trump
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Upstate NY music legend Bat McGrath... gone at 73. To all of you... go get a damn colonoscopy.
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
6x6

Post by 6x6 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:40 am Upstate NY music legend Bat McGrath... gone at 73. To all of you... go get a damn colonoscopy.
Yup Cradle, he and Don Potter were some duo. They had a great run back in the day.
Also agree about the colonoscopy, it can also catch prostate cancer early. Both take many guys our age.

I just completed the Distinguished Gentleman’s Ride in Rochester. https://www.gentlemansride.com/.
Worldwide ride that raises money for research of prostate cancer, testicular cancer and men’s mental health issues such as suicide. You should think about riding next year, about 150 of your neighbors this year.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Ginger Baker, 80, RIP:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/ ... es-aged-80

Known for his strange and often erratic behavior - but a darn good drummer.

Trinity

Post by Trinity »

Cradle, were you familiar with Wool? Great upstate cover band that played the college circuit in the 60s and 70s.
“I don’t take responsibility at all.” —Donald J Trump
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Brown Lacrosse's Pete Zidlicky.

dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

Elijah Cummings, 68

A HUGE loss for Maryland and our nation. RIP.

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”