Johns Hopkins 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
HopFan16

Re: Johns Hopkins 2020

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:27 pm we're not going to wait until we're 1-2 in the b1g and bubble out to see changes.
What exactly does this mean and who is the "we" in this statement? The Jays could go 0-13 and they wouldn't axe the guy in the middle of the season. It doesn't even happen in pro sports very often—much less in college sports and pretty much never in college lacrosse unless there's some Batesian incident. Petro might be an intimidating dude but I can't see him ever taking his frustrations out physically on an opposing player no matter how many slides are missed or assignments botched. More likely he'd take it all out on a big $25 plate of veal involtini at Sammy's after the game.
steel_hop wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:55 pm Yeah, it was awful to see UVA worse off for that one 1 year and win a title less than 3 years after showing Dom his walking papers. Just awful.
Ok Dr. Hindsight I'm sure if you were a UVA fan in 2017 when they went 0-4 in the conference and missed the NCAA tournament again that you'd be the absolute model of serenity. No way you would have been calling for his head right? It would have been total calm and confidence in the new staff, 100% committed to staying the course and seeing things through. You definitely would have made it to 2019 without once raising the idea that maybe Tiffany was the wrong guy and that they needed to try again elsewhere.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

We are ALREADY being hurt in recruiting by this ongoing foolishness. And potentially getting poached.

Which is why I am saying, repeatedly, take care of it ALREADY.

Put some colored smoke out the chimney for heaven sakes.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

As I said people who prefer the simple over the complex. Much easier to find a simple solution. Did you really graduate from JHU?

The sheer idiocy of taking the IL ranking system as gospel is absurd. Selection bias.

In order for comparables to be comparable there needs to be, well, comparability. Fail. The narcissism is amazing.

Not long ago, I think it was you, established you didn’t understand the job of them AD. You know less about the job of coach from the employer’s perspective best I can tell.

Why did those vacancies you mentioned open up by the way.

Basically there is an outcome you don’t like but rather than look at all the variables that feed into producing the outcome you draw a conclusion and inductively reason your way to justify the conclusion you have already drawn. You use selection bias as a tool disregarding anything that would diminish it. Faulty approach. I have an 8 yo that is better than that.

It took Gray about two weeks to enter the transfer portal s d end up at UNC. Scanlan to Cuse wasn’t much longer. Letlan to Yale about the same. The top players can transfer pretty much as they wish.

Bloomberg has helped mitigate one of our major front end of the funnel issue. That is the kind of mitigation we need.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

Bloomberg has certainly helped JHU to be competitive with the Ivies in terms of financial aid. Yes that should help recruiting. But even with great recruiting the program seems to be falling short. Many of us see too much loyalty to unproductive players. It doesn’t matter who you recruit if you don’t play them.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

The worst stretch of Hopkins Lacrosse was The Drought.

17 years. And thankfully, the staff and players broke that one.

But, Hopkins is now at 12 and counting.

Sure, the landscape has changed, but Hopkins could still win again.

But the downward trend with 6 or more losses per season is telling.

Good luck with your meeting, OC. Do you need help putting together a list of questions?

Ask her how she evaluates performance.
Ask her if she’s ever fired people.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

I just wanted to take a timeout from your regularly scheduled internecine Hopkins fans fighting to tell O'Canada "Congratulations!!!" on Bianca Andreescu, my new favorite sports star! Love her!
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

jhu06 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:27 pm
OCanada wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:39 pm Kiss that next class good by. At least the top players. A few people who know squat
we've had a decade of top 5 in many cases top 1 classes, none of whom delivered titles and most of which were busts. I don't remember a mass desertion at duke after Danowski came in, at terp u after tilman arrived, at uva after lars came over. If he doesn't have a new deal-and he hasn't earned one, he's coaching for his job which means if connor disimone is a bust again, if having a midfield full of ex attackmen doesn't work out, if the ssdms aren't able to stay with guys, if the goalie can't stop shots, we're not going to wait until we're 1-2 in the b1g and bubble out to see changes. Whomever is on the sideline in 2021, Petro or someone else will still have the resources, tradition, networks, best uniforms, academics, location, the energy of cornell willis, the greatest band in land, most passionate/kind/informed message board commenters, berger cookies from eddies, almost all games on tv, and about 234121 other things the kids were high on when the signed on and maybe some new reasons. I can imagine the exact same convo is happening on cuse lax blogs and message boards right now and what this would be like if we had their recruiting rankings. Put up or shut up time. let's go.
Orange 19 recruiting class is rated mediocre by IL . Won't matter this year with what is returning but in later years if following classes are mediocre as well. They had a top five 20 " recruiting class before several decommits to Ivyish destinations and that brought all recruiting and retention issues to the forefront with some changes and directives meant to address.

If a top lax player is strong academically then Cuse is at a disadvantage but so is JHU to a lesser degree when the Ivies and total packages of several ACC teams come knocking . I might add Michigan into that group as well . Think most bright kids want the total college experience as well as degree from top tier and not sure JHU truly offers the former.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

OCanada wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:21 pmI have an 8 yo that is better than that.
you have an 8 year old?
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Well a granddaughter. Typed to quickly
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

OC has always been precocious.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

https://navysports.com/schedule.aspx?path=mlax
St Patricks day in annapolis. should be a great enviornment.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

jhu06 wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:18 pm https://navysports.com/schedule.aspx?path=mlax
Since when is March 14th St. Patrick’s day?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Glad the game is back. It's no late April but March 14 is definitely better than Feb. 7.

That's the weekend we've been playing Delaware...I wonder if that game gets bumped a week into the old Virginia slot.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

AreaLax wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:29 pm
jhu06 wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:18 pm https://navysports.com/schedule.aspx?path=mlax
Since when is March 14th St. Patrick’s day?
most people have to work during the week so the revelry is generally the weekend prior if march 17 is not on a weekend and nice job by navy as the first school to get their schedule out. We've brought in what IL describes as stud recruiting classes before only to watch them beaten by less heralded programs and as for hop not being a desirable place to play the recruits decisions show the reality there.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Well, I don't know about the Irish bars near you but the in the ones near me - the people drinking on March 14th will have little or nothing to do with St. Patrick's Day. On Tuesday the 17th however, the lines start around 7 AM. Along with the Monday after the Super Bowl St. Patty's Day is probably the numero uno vacation/sick Day. I imagine before the Hopkins Navy game you can go to Molloys or Fado etc and get your pint or shot with relative ease.
middleAgedBear

Post by middleAgedBear »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:18 am I recall IL had both Ryan Brown and Tucker Durkin ranked somewhere in the 20’s of their respective classes and those two turned into some of your best Players ever at their positions. They also had higher ranked players in both classes who never achieved the same level of play. Wasn’t John Crawley ranked #77 or something? He started as a freshman and was one of our best middies. I’d say the jury is still out on our incoming class. I sure hope they are right about Grimes and McDermott though. But Grimes made the U19 team which really means something in my opinion. Foley was on U19 as I recall but he wasn’t selected for UA AA team. He was definitely flying under IL’s limited radar. I think they’re using an older system from 1940 or something.
Foley didn't start playing lacrosse until 9th grade :o
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Roster updated.

Lucas Capobianco-Hogan is the only one from last year not listed for 2020. No other transfers in or out as far as I can tell (besides Cattoni).

No #19 or captains other than Forry yet—assume those will be announced soon.

Prouty is now #13. Haven't noticed any other number changes for those keeping track.

There are indeed 18 freshmen, numbered as follows:

#10 Tim Marcille (G)
#18 John Schreiber (M)
#22 Brett Handsor (M)
#23 Jacob Angelus (A)
#25 Lucas Heverly (M/FO)
#30 Quinn Chambers (M)
#38 Ian Krampf (A/M)
#41 Eddy Glassmeyer (M)
#42 Owen Murphy (A)
#43 John Cohen (A)
#45 Hayden Fox (D)
#47 Jack Burnett (A/M)
#55 Cole Finley-Ponds (LSM)
#77 Hunter Jaronski (D)
#88 Blake Rodgers (D)
#89 Dylan Rahm (D)
#91 Jack Ruddy (D)
#99 Jacob Brunner (M)

Heverly is listed at 6'5'', which would be the tallest faceoff guy I've ever heard of. I wonder if they've got other plans for him.

The law firm of Rodgers, Ruddy, and Fox are all 6'3'' or taller.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

6' 5" - peter jacobs was in that neighborhood at least. if you've never heard of him, you should look him up. he could play. great guy, too.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

From the team twitter - Jake Fox selected 19th in the National Lacrosse League draft to New York and Kyle Marr selected 51st to Philadelphia
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

My observations (caveated of course by the fact that the labels don't necessarily mean anything but IF you took them at face-value)
- Just when you thought it could be safe to go back in the water with Hopkins trending towards a smaller roster of 44 in 2019 now we are back at 52 - using my magic number of 23 - about 29 players are going to have a swell time
- First time I have seen - to my memory - Hopkins identify the defensive middies - Lilly has joined that group along with Hubler and Pion and 2 freshmen - McManus appears to have joined the long stick corp - makes sense - there's clearly not enough defensemen on the roster
- 17 long-poles - again makes complete sense
- Zach Ernst appears to have departed as well
- Smith is identified as an attackman - probably always has been - I didn't check
- Is Krampf really 5'8" and 200 lbs?
- Didn't realize Hawley is Petro's nephew
- John Cohen is 5'4" 150 lbs - finally someone to stand in front of Concannon during the national anthem
- Again - taking the positions listed at face-value - you have 11 middies and 3 Attack/Middies - don't see the mid-field scoring unless DeSimone completely turns it around and Zinn explodes

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”