Johns Hopkins 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Typical Lax Dad

Re: Johns Hopkins 2020

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

DMac wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:15 pm None of this supports Doc's claim that diversity will help Hop's lacrosse recruiting. I don't think the 31% Asains of the 63% people of color has helped Hop's lacrosse recruiting one iota, for example. Inasmuch as Hop is nowhere near the dominant powerhouse they once were, one could argue that all the diversity has had a detrimental effect on Hopkins lacrosse, no?
8-)
It is hard to tell what the impact has been. Hopkins is in a strange spot. D1 sport on a D3 campus. I don't know to what extent at Hopkins the student body matters. At many schools, kids either like the campus vibe or not and there are a lot of things that go into the campus vibe. Hard to tell if "diversity" moves the needle or not. You don't have a real time comparison. My take is that if it is good for the school overall, then it is good for the lacrosse program similarly. All of the schools are different and a player either is or isn't attracted. The kid happy at Maryland may not be happy at Hopkins for a variety of reasons.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
DMac

Post by DMac »

44WeWantMore wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:42 pm
DMac wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:15 pm None of this supports Doc's claim that diversity will help Hop's lacrosse recruiting. I don't think the 31% Asains of the 63% people of color has helped Hop's lacrosse recruiting one iota, for example. Inasmuch as Hop is nowhere near the dominant powerhouse they once were, one could argue that all the diversity has had a detrimental effect on Hopkins lacrosse, no?
8-)
Of course the facts do not support that claim. It is a fallacy (absent any other evidence) to claim increased "diversity" is the cause of our lax woes, but just because correlation does not necessarily imply causation, it is another thing to hand-wave the two trends which are completely opposed to the fact-free conclusion.
Yup, I pretty much knew that, I just like rattling Doc's cage with all of his diversity stuff.
Typical Lax Dad

xxxxxxx wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:33 pm True diverse players are interested in diversity, for better or worse there are still very few diverse players. I bet the reasons for choosing a school are something like this:
1. How good is the program / history?
2. How is the gear / swag ?
3. Is it a fun school to attend?
4. Will I have a good chance to play?
5. How hot are the girls?
6. Is the stadium/locker room sic?
7. Are any of my buddies there?
8. Is it close to home?
9. Academics
10. Alumni network
11. Coaching staff
12. Did that smoking babe on the tour notice me?
Most of those reasons are awful reasons to pick a school but unfortunately you might be right.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

DocBarrister wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:07 am But the fact remains, Johns Hopkins is more popular than ever, and I think diversity is a big part of that. No way the Hopkins of Old could compete for students today if the school didn’t change. That popularity can only help lacrosse recruiting.

DocBarrister 8-)

Yeah, every time I attend a game at Homewood, I'm just stunned by the diversity of the crowd. I mean, when Catholics and Episcopalians sit near each other, its just warms the cockles of one's liberal heart.

(GTFOOH with that bs)
a fan

Post by a fan »

This is the break in the dam, I think.

If you can sponsor NCAA athletes nationally, Hopkins fans should rejoice. This would be a huge advantage for the most televised team in our sport.

Assuming that TV coverage continues, that is...

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/sto ... ls-harmful
GSP

Post by GSP »

According to the University published diversity numbers, 11.4% of the white males in the incoming class are on the JHU Lacrosse team!
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

DocBarrister wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:07 am
ABV 8.3% wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:20 am
DocBarrister wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:58 pm Amazing diversity at Johns Hopkins, which should only help lacrosse recruiting. Here are the stats for the Class of 2023.
:o
https://hub.jhu.edu/2019/08/22/class-of ... e-numbers/

63% are students of color (including 31% who are Asian)
14% are international students.
54% are women
98% were in the top ten percent of their class
Median SAT of around 1515 out of 1600

In the days that Wombat and I were prowling around campus, the numbers were probably around:

25% students of color
5% international students
45% women
80% in the top ten percent
Median SAT of our class was 1286

:shock:

:o

Hopkins is a much more diverse and interesting place to go to school these days!

DocBarrister :D
It's amazing that all these top schools still use the racist SAT.
The SAT is less racist than before. You won’t find infamous questions like “Andover is to Exeter as Harvard is to ______.”
DocBarrister 8-)
As Harvard is to Yale.
Unless of course Harvard and or Yale are racist.
Or maybe, analogies are racist.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

xxxxxxx wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:33 pm True diverse players are interested in diversity, for better or worse there are still very few diverse players. I bet the reasons for choosing a school are something like this:
1. How good is the program / history?
2. How is the gear / swag ?
3. Is it a fun school to attend?
4. Will I have a good chance to play?
5. How hot are the girls?
6. Is the stadium/locker room sic?
7. Are any of my buddies there?
8. Is it close to home?
9. Academics
10. Alumni network
11. Coaching staff
12. Did that smoking babe on the tour notice me?
Hah :!:
Great satire, except ...
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

PB’s take on Hopkins crowds was ironic re: Episcopalian sitting next to Catholics given the homogenous compositions at Loyola where Catholics sit next to Catholics with maybe an athlete interspersed.

The Hopkins Banana group is led by a Chinese and has been for decades. A significant portion are Jewish. Then there are those Protestants like some Episcopalians interspersed with Presbyterians and Methodists. There are a few Hindus and Buddhists too. Mea culpa
Last edited by OCanada on Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ABV 8.3%

Post by ABV 8.3% »

Diver$e?????

How many students from Haiti, El Salvador, Peru, Poland, Romania?

Spare us the "international " $tudent tripe. Hopkins has NEVER had a Native American lacrosse player. Sounds about right, Hopkins endowment can't afford free rides. Neither can Dartmouth, who's mission statement.......... :roll:
oligarchy thanks you......same as it evah was
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Really??? Factually incorrect. First your focus appears to be centered on Homewood not Hopkins. One campus in Bologna Italy and another in Beijing. The School of Advanced International Studies has a large international presence. So to does the business school. Nursing school and Public Health School as well.

Don’t understand the Indian Comment at all. Although an Indian player would add to the international flavor. Hopkins Nursing has Indian students off and on going back decades or don’t they count as much as lax players
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

OCanada wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:28 pm PB’s take on Hopkins crowds was ironic re: Episcopalian sitting next to Catholics given the homogenous compositions at Loyola where Catholics sit next to Catholics with maybe an athlete interspersed.

The Hopkins Banana group is led by a Chinese and has been for decades. A significant portion are Jewish. Then there are those Protestants like some Episcopalians interspersed with Presbyterians and Methodists. There are a few Hindus and Buddhists too. Mea culpa
Not to mention the best player on the team right now is Jewish.
ABV 8.3% wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:35 pm Spare us the "international " $tudent tripe. Hopkins has NEVER had a Native American lacrosse player.
Jake Fox and his brother, Hayden, who literally just arrived on campus a few weeks ago, are Native (Metis tribe). He's written about it for the student newspaper: https://www.jhunewsletter.com/article/2 ... ecognition

Pay more attention.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

ABV 8.3% wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:35 pm Diver$e?????

How many students from Haiti, El Salvador, Peru, Poland, Romania?

Spare us the "international " $tudent tripe. Hopkins has NEVER had a Native American lacrosse player. Sounds about right, Hopkins endowment can't afford free rides. Neither can Dartmouth, who's mission statement.......... :roll:
jake fox is native.
most likely, as he's just recent, they've had others as well.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

OCanada wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:47 pmAlthough an Indian player would add to the international flavor. Hopkins Nursing has Indian students off and on going back decades or don’t they count as much as lax players

Glad to know the Hopkins lacrosse thread is now a nursing school thread. Sorta tells you all you need to know about the state of the program.

:lol:
Typical Lax Dad

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:10 pm
OCanada wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:28 pm PB’s take on Hopkins crowds was ironic re: Episcopalian sitting next to Catholics given the homogenous compositions at Loyola where Catholics sit next to Catholics with maybe an athlete interspersed.

ABV 8.3% wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:35 pm Spare us the "international " $tudent tripe. Hopkins has NEVER had a Native American lacrosse player.
Jake Fox and his brother, Hayden, who literally just arrived on campus a few weeks ago, are Native (Metis tribe). He's written about it for the student newspaper: https://www.jhunewsletter.com/article/2 ... ecognition

Pay more attention.
Probably not a real native.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Incidentally, I am predicting here and now that Mount St. Mary's beats Hopkins this year. It was just yesterday when #3-ranked Johnny U got slapped silly by an unranked Princeton Tiger squad, 18-7...those will be recalled as 'the good old days'. You read it here first.

JHU.png
JHU.png (157.27 KiB) Viewed 1926 times
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

TLD

I would be careful on that. They are recognized in Canada as an original indigenous people. They have another of other recognitions as well.

Some links if anyone wants to connect.
http://www.native-languages.org/metis.htm

In the USA it is an issue in Indian Country. The test to be a recognized tribe by the USA is anthropological determined by the DOI. Not all tribes have received recognition and some should not. Each tribe determines the qualification for membership. For a great majority it’s a blood quantum test of 25%. This is causing some angst as the test wax established decades ago and intermarriage is threatening numbers.

It’s interested me over the years how under appreciated the influence of Indian culture is. Indians are a separate culture with differing values and traditions. That Scanlan, after not getting the aid he needed from Cuse ended up at a catholic institution run by a religious order that did do much harm to Indians in the past was a shock. The divorce want inevitable but it would have taken effort to avoid. He is probably where he should have been all along. That or Albany.

Anyway Métis are considered a tribe
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:10 pm

Pay more attention.
It looks as if Mark Greenberg is not that far of shape, and Jesse Schwartzman seemed to carry a couple of pounds without trouble by May. Sneak them onto the field too.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

OCanada wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:36 pm TLD

I would be careful on that. They are recognized in Canada as an original indigenous people. They have another of other recognitions as well.

In the USA it is an issue in Indian Country. The test to be a recognized tribe by the USA is anthropological determined by the DOI. Not all tribes have received recognition and some should not. Each tribe determines the qualification for membership. For a great majority it’s a blood quantum test of 25%. This is causing some angst as the test wax established decades ago and intermarriage is threatening numbers.

It’s interested me over the years how under appreciated the influence of Indian culture is. Indians are a separate culture with differing values and traditions. That Scanlan, after not getting the aid he needed from Cuse ended up at a catholic institution run by a religious order that did do much harm to Indians in the past was a shock. The divorce want inevitable but it would have taken effort to avoid. He is probably where he should have been all along. That or Albany.

it wasn't that he didn't get the aid that he needed.
his quote (paraphrasing) was essentially that $$ didn't come through the lacrosse program, but rather (probably) thru the haudenosaunee promise scholarship (if he lived on tribal land. honors maybe otherwise)... thinking that the coaches didn't have as much "invested" in him, and that he wouldn't get as much of a chance as others that did.
outside looking in, he probably could've used some counsel on this take, too, at the time. but sometimes you have to go through things to learn and as you mature.

as far as anything being inevitable, catholics and history --- i don't think anyone but him can speak for his take on that.
Typical Lax Dad

OCanada wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:36 pm TLD

No problem. I was being sarcastic....as ABV 8.3%( Double IPA) usually knows it all.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”