All Things Russia & Ukraine

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
MDlaxfan76

Re: All Things Russia

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:30 am
CU88 wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:02 am US extracted top spy from inside Russia in 2017!

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2019/09/09/poli ... ssion=true

U.S. extracted a top spy from Russia in part due to "concerns that President Donald Trump and his administration repeatedly mishandled classified intelligence and could contribute to exposing the covert source as a spy."

DEPLORABLE and the r's love it!

Just a reminder: this was a guy who literally ran his campaign based around the idea that his opponent’s private email server was a national security risk and she couldn’t be trusted to handle sensitive national security matters.
CNN CIA & FBI expert Phil Mudd waves the BS flag on CNN's version of this story.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news ... rom-russia

I picked up Mudd's book today at the library. Looks like a good quick read.

The CIA & NYT are also waving the BS flag on CNN's story.
Leakers burned him in 2016. Trump wasn't President yet.
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/cia-sl ... filtration

The Central Intelligence Agency on Monday evening slammed what it called CNN's "misguided" and "simply false" reporting, after the cable channel's chief national security correspondent authored a hole-filled piece claiming that the CIA had pulled a high-level spy out of Russia because President Trump had "repeatedly mishandled classified intelligence and could contribute to exposing the covert source as a spy."

The extraordinary CIA rebuke came as The New York Times published a bombshell piece late in the evening, which largely contradicted CNN's reporting. According to The Times, CIA officials "made the arduous decision in late 2016 to offer to extract the source from Russia" -- weeks before Trump even took office.

Concerns about media reporting on Russian election interference drove the decision, according to the Times, which described the source as "the American government’s best insight into the thinking of and orders” from Russian President Vladimir Putin.

"Former intelligence officials said there was no public evidence that Mr. Trump directly endangered the source, and other current American officials insisted that media scrutiny of the agency’s sources alone was the impetus for the extraction," the Times wrote.

The purported spy refused the 2016 offer of extraction, the Times reported, citing family concerns. But the CIA "pressed again months later after more media inquiries" threatened the source, and he relented, according to the paper.

"CNN's narrative that the Central Intelligence Agency makes life-or-death decisions based on anything other than objective analysis and sound collection is simply false," CIA Director for Public Affairs Brittany Bramell said in a statement.
Bramwell continued: "Misguided speculation that the President's handling of our nation's most sensitive intelligence — which he has access to each and every day — drove an alleged exfiltration operation is inaccurate."

It was not clear from the CNN piece how exactly Trump's comments in the Oval Office would have further compromised the Russian source.
Numerous other holes quickly surfaced in CNN's reporting. Commentator Aaron Mate pointed out in a Twitter thread that several major news organizations had previously cited a high-level source in the Russian government as a source -- suggesting that the intelligence community itself, not Trump, had compromised the spy.

For example, The Washington Post reported in June 2017 of "'sourcing deep inside the Russian government' -- so deep that it purportedly 'captured Putin’s specific instructions" to launch a pro-Trump influence campaign," Matte noted.

And the Times reported in August 2018 of "anonymous intel officials complaining that their 'vital Kremlin informants have largely gone silent.'" But "if these Kremlin informants are so vital, why are US intel officials talking about them?" Matte asked.

The source resurfaced in May 2019, when the Times "reported on intel fears of this source being exposed."

"Again, the irony is lost that it's the ones who are complaining who are the ones revealing this supposed source," Matte wrote. "So there's a pattern here of intel leaks in order to: create a false link between Trump-Russia; to reveal supposed high-level Russian sources that advance the Russiagate narrative & then falsely blame Trump for these sources' supposed vulnerability."
I hadn't seen Mudd's comments but he certainly has always come across to me as a straight shooter. You do realize that he's on the CNN payroll and is very much a part of how they are reporting and analyzing this story, right?

So, I bothered to watch the clip.

He does NOT raise any such "BS flag on CNN's version of the story" other than to say that he "suspects there's more to the story" than just Trump's loose lips being the issue; he then goes on to confirm that the intel community is quite suspicious of Trump beyond this particular topic.

From all I've read, that sounds likely. They were concerned for this guy's life before Trump became President due to increased attention and potential leaks, but grew far more concerned as greater attention to the Russian interference grew and Trump's seeming to not be willing to believe the intel presented to him, along with his demonstrated willingness to put allies' agents in danger through what he told the Russians directly.

Maybe it went down differently, with more emphasis on one aspect more than another, but the general progression to decision to extract makes sense to me.

BTW, if you haven't watched the 6 episode short series "The Spy" on Netflix, it's worth the time. True story of Israeli spy in Syria late-50'svthru mid '60's, Eli Cohen. I won't spoil the conclusion, but suffice it to say there are some parallels to the discussion of extraction we're having here.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Listen again (closely} at 1:43 --
he questions the premise of CNN's story, which was subsequently debunked by NYT & NBC reporting & the CIA statement.

The CIA wanted to withdraw the spy in 2016 because of the leaks to the media claiming the dossier details were confirmed by someone close to Putin,
then it became more urgent when his presence was confirmed when the IC chiefs briefed Obama then Trump on the ICA on Russian interference in Jan 2017.

The MSM, by publishing, all helped the leaker burn the informant & now, by publishing his presence & location, place him in further danger by causing Vlad to lose face.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

old salt wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:40 pm Listen again (closely} at 1:43 --
he questions the premise of CNN's story, which was subsequently debunked by NYT & NBC reporting & the CIA statement.

The CIA wanted to withdraw the spy in 2016 because of the leaks to the media claiming the dossier details were confirmed by someone close to Putin,
then it became more urgent when his presence was confirmed when the IC chiefs briefed Obama then Trump on the ICA on Russian interference in Jan 2017.

The MSM, by publishing, all helped the leaker burn the informant & now, by publishing his presence & location, place him in further danger by causing Vlad to lose face.
What interference? It was fake news. Russia has nothing to do with campaigning for Trump.
“I wish you would!”
old salt

Post by old salt »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:31 pm

What interference? It was fake news. Russia has nothing to do with campaigning for Trump.
I never denied Russia's interference. In 2014, Devin Nune's told us it was coming.
I just don't think it made that much difference. Weak sore loser excuse.
It revealed how the HRD/DNC rigged their primary.
Had Assange received the emails from a US leaker like Snowden,
he'd have won some more Pulitzers for the WP & NYT.
Typical Lax Dad

old salt wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:48 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:31 pm

I never denied Russia's interference. In 2014, Devin Nune's told us it was coming.
I just don't think it made that much difference. Weak sore loser excuse.
It revealed how the HRD/DNC rigged their primary.
Had Assange received the emails from a US leaker like Snowden,
he'd have won some more Pulitzers for the WP & NYT.
No big deal. It was fake news. People were just mad they Hillary lost.
“I wish you would!”
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:48 pm I never denied Russia's interference. In 2014, Devin Nune's told us it was coming.
I just don't think it made that much difference.
Yes, but your idea here is that we wait around until it DOES make a difference. And you have no Earthly idea what to do if the American people don't believe the results of a major election because Russian shenanigans are found to have tipped the scales.

And if any of us on the Forum don't like that Russia is clearly TRYING to make a difference in our elections....you make fun, and call us Russiaphobes.

You're out on an island on this one, I'm afraid.
old salt

Post by old salt »

a fan wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:09 pm
old salt wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:48 pm I never denied Russia's interference. In 2014, Devin Nune's told us it was coming.
I just don't think it made that much difference.
Yes, but your idea here is that we wait around until it DOES make a difference. And you have no Earthly idea what to do if the American people don't believe the results of a major election because Russian shenanigans are found to have tipped the scales.

And if any of us on the Forum don't like that Russia is clearly TRYING to make a difference in our elections....you make fun, and call us Russiaphobes.

You're out on an island on this one, I'm afraid.
On my island, we don't get our news, info or ideas via social media (other than this anti-social forum).
No way in for those sinister, devious Rooskie influencers. ...other than this :
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

Their dark money doesn’t matter?
“I don’t take responsibility at all.” —Donald J Trump
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:57 am On my island, we don't get our news, info or ideas via social media (other than this anti-social forum).
No way in for those sinister, devious Rooskie influencers. ...other than this :
So you're going to keep playing your childish game where you pretend like all this is about is fake Russian facebook accounts.

Sweet. You are piling up the "I told you so's".

Since we're handing out snarky responses....how's that sweet new Iran deal going? Boy, you really called it on that one. Things are going great. Good thing you thought it was brilliant to hold out for an unobtainable deal that did things like make Iranians take the trash out on Wednesdays instead of Fridays. Totally worth reneging on the deal. BTW, we're all still waiting for you to tell us "what now?"

Any stock tips you'd like to give us while you're on this roll of yours?
old salt

Post by old salt »

I still rate Boeing & Lockheed-Martin a buy.
a fan

Post by a fan »

Yep. Ya got nothing. You don't know what to do.

Message received, zero distortion. ;)
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

old salt wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:02 pm I still rate Boeing & Lockheed-Martin a buy.
You loved it back in March, at this same price...did you get any when it was in the $320-$340.

Looks pricey...SP500 multiple around $21, BA has to deliver a ton of earnings to get it's PE ratio back in line.
old salt

Post by old salt »

I only do long term buy & hold. The MAX will fly again. F-15/F-18 production extended for both new US & foreign military sales
Typical Lax Dad

foreverlax wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:43 pm
old salt wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:02 pm I still rate Boeing & Lockheed-Martin a buy.
You loved it back in March, at this same price...did you get any when it was in the $320-$340.

Looks pricey...SP500 multiple around $21, BA has to deliver a ton of earnings to get it's PE ratio back in line.
Motley Fool basically feels the same way.
“I wish you would!”
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
CU88

Post by CU88 »

The man who released classified intel to Kremlin agents in the Oval Office and released classified intel to the man who had a Post reporter assassinated and released classified intel about our military on Twitter doesn't want you to see his "pitch-perfect" discussion with Ukraine
by cradleandshoot » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:57 am
Mr moderator, deactivate my account.
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
This is cradle and shoot signing out.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
ToastDunk

Post by ToastDunk »

Senate Intel report finds Kremlin directed Russian social media meddling in 2016
https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/464 ... eddling-in
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

ToastDunk wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:50 pm Senate Intel report finds Kremlin directed Russian social media meddling in 2016
https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/464 ... eddling-in
And part of that was suppressing Black votes - may very well have made the difference in Michigan if not Wisconsin...
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

“We uncorked a tiny bottle of champagne ... took one gulp each and looked into each other’s eyes .... We uttered almost in unison: ‘We made America great’”

-- Operative at Kremlin-directed IRA after Trump won the election, per Senate Intel report
“I don’t take responsibility at all.” —Donald J Trump
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

Trinity wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:07 pm “We uncorked a tiny bottle of champagne ... took one gulp each and looked into each other’s eyes .... We uttered almost in unison: ‘We made America great’”

-- Operative at Kremlin-directed IRA after Trump won the election, per Senate Intel report
Sounds about right...it's what we would do.

Return to “POLITICS”