Loyola University Lacrosse 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
thatsmell

Re: Loyola University Lacrosse 2020

Post by thatsmell »

Hate to sound like Peter, but the Hounds went from having literally just one guy on the whole team who can faceoff to having a heckuva good FOGO Corps.
Savio and Seay are solid and proven at the D1 college level. And Pacheco is highly touted coming out of CO. And the Calvert Hall kid was one of the best I saw n the MIAA last year.

Certainly promising on paper.
I never knew no Godfather. I got my own family, Senator."
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

thatsmell wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:57 pm Hate to sound like Peter, but the Hounds went from having literally just one guy on the whole team who can faceoff to having a heckuva good FOGO Corps.
Savio and Seay are solid and proven at the D1 college level. And Pacheco is highly touted coming out of CO. And the Calvert Hall kid was one of the best I saw n the MIAA last year.

"hate to sound like Peter". geez.

:lol:

Anyhoo, indeed, we go from middling to actually very strong. I think this kid Pacheco will surprise.
thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

Peter Brown wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:09 pm
thatsmell wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:57 pm Hate to sound like Peter, but the Hounds went from having literally just one guy on the whole team who can faceoff to having a heckuva good FOGO Corps.

We're a tough crowd.

;)
thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

houndace1 wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:06 pm
thatsmell wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:09 pm He wasn't on the '99 team, but Loyola did land one of the greatest mid-year transfer of all time heading in to their 2000 season too.

Gannon University in Erie, PA cancelled its lax program in the fall of '99. D2 leading scorer and Canadian box phenom Gavin Prout was welcomed at Loyola and he ended up as a 2-time All American for the Hounds. He graduated from Evergreen as another 1st teamer and eventual 1st overall pick in the NLL. Pretty sure he was Colorado Mammoth's all time assist leader.

Like Toomey, Cottle really found some hidden gems.
Looking back with a quick history search, Loyola really does take in transfers and makes a fair amount of them shine. I'm sure other programs do that as well but still... impressive. A query of this would yield names like

Alex McGovern (Originally Unc)
Gavin Prout (Gannon University)
Brian Sherlock (Unc)
I'm blanking on his name (Colin Finnerty) but the transfer who came in from Duke in 05-06
And Nick Mazza came from Penn State and played for us his JR and SR year. He was amassed at least 20 goals and 20 Assists his Sr year. It was great to get him.
thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

thatsmell wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:54 pm
thatsmell wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:09 pm He wasn't on the '99 team, but Loyola did land one of the greatest mid-year transfer of all time heading in to their 2000 season too.

Gannon University in Erie, PA cancelled its lax program in the fall of '99. D2 leading scorer and Canadian box phenom Gavin Prout was welcomed at Loyola and he ended up as a 2-time All American for the Hounds. He graduated from Evergreen as another 1st teamer and eventual 1st overall pick in the NLL. Pretty sure he was Colorado Mammoth's all time assist leader.

Looking back with a quick history search, Loyola really does take in transfers and makes a fair amount of them shine. I'm sure other programs do that as well but still... impressive. A query of this would yield names like

Brian Sherlock (Unc)
I'm blanking on his name (Colin Finnerty) but the transfer who came in from Duke in 05-06
And Nick Mazza came from Penn State and played for us his JR and SR year. He was amassed at least 20 goals and 20 Assists his Sr year. It was great to get him.
Sean O'Sullivan was a great transfer for the Hounds too. He came from Army West Point and was an absolute beast midfielder.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

thatsmell wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:54 pm

Brian Sherlock (Unc)
I hate to burst the bubble but he only scored two goals in his junior year (2016) for us with two gb''s. A majority of his points (17 goals and 20 assists) in 10 games came at CCBC Essex. He was supposed to be a starting midfielder in 2017 but.. well it's not my place to say.
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

There's 3 in 2020 which is great. Add in the FO guy they have coming in from Fairfield prep for the class of 2024, then the team has 4 FO guy's. Talk about bench depth!
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Peter Brown wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:57 pm
10stone5 wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:48 pm Guess they didn’t think much of Seay coming out of SC, maybe due to size, maybe due to competition in prep/high school.

That class looks a lot better with Seay in it.

And also, Teitelbaum is a top 100 player.
If Teitelbaum has half the quickness of his brother Chre, Colton should be just fine.

The most underrated class in D1...I'd have them #1 but you guys would accuse me of being un-objective. That said, this is the best incoming class in the United States. As you shall soon see.
I really really wanna pick your brain for reasons behind this. DO you think this in terms of holes that can be plugged by this incoming class? What's your take for the 2020 kids coming in, because that class is stacked with talent as well
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

10stone5 wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:48 pm Guess they didn’t think much of Seay coming out of SC, maybe due to size, maybe due to competition in prep/high school.

That class looks a lot better with Seay in it.

And also, Teitelbaum is a top 100 player.
If Teitelbaum has half the quickness of his brother Chre, Colton should be just fine.
Najee Taylor helps bolster a possible midfield corps. The class rating took a hit when 5 star carson raney decommitted to go to Ohio State, but Taylor switching from Notre Dame to us kept it afloat
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

The Nick Mazza transfer tale told earlier in this thread is pure fiction.
NovaHound

Post by NovaHound »

Hounds do loose Seniors to graduation this year - those middies would be Higgins, Boland, Cox, Swindell and Devereaux. So new (and imposing) players will need to step up in 2021. Looks like Incoming class and last years class can fill that void and more.... :)
thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

I remember Mazza having a good showing at the very end of ‘16 with some very limited time. Perhaps I’m getting him confused/conflated with Sherlock, which is quite possible... I am getting to be that age...
thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

Throwing it back quite a while...Loyola was also a Transfer stop for the famous Rusty Pritzlaff back in the day...

Rusty was a Severn School grad from Chestertown, Md, son of Bob Pritzlaff (of Washington College) that had a knack for scoring.

Rust played Attack and put up solid numbers at 3 schools. He was one of the few to be named both a D1 (Loyola) and D3 (Salisbury) AA.

86- Hobart -
88- Loyola HM AA
91- Salisbury HM AA
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

thatsmell wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:16 pm I remember Mazza having a good showing at the very end of ‘16 with some very limited time. Perhaps I’m getting him confused/conflated with Sherlock, which is quite possible... I am getting to be that age...
Towson’s Jon Mazza’s brother
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Anyhoo, indeed, we go from middling to actually very strong. I think this kid Pacheco will surprise.
fwiw, seay didn't take one faceoff last year. on a team that struggled at faceoff. with a starter that was out for a stretch. against middling competition.
if he's taking faceoffs, might indicate more trouble than depth.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:31 am

fwiw, seay didn't take one faceoff last year. on a team that struggled at faceoff. with a starter that was out for a stretch. against middling competition.

"middling competition". Well, I guess since Bellarmine and UVA both lost to High Point by 1 goal, UVA is also 'middling'?
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Peter Brown wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:35 am
wgdsr wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:31 am

"middling competition". Well, I guess since Bellarmine and UVA both lost to High Point by 1 goal, UVA is also 'middling'?
teams play 13-15 games per season in lacrosse.
the fact that you named one team (they played several) endorses the adjective.
strength of teams doesn't always indicate strength of faceoff groups. stereotyping. but small sample high point --- they edged duke and lost the faceoff #s to uva... combined below .500 (and still managed to win)... while having an excellent season percentage and playing in the same conference.
the point stands. his team struggled at faceoff and he didn't take any. i'm guessing loyola had some guys on their roster last year that took some faceoffs in high school. if he's a reason why you prognosticate loyola's crushing the dot next year --- i see you.
thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

Cottone was pushing 70% win percent in the MIAA last year.
His team was stacked, but he was the best I saw in the A last year.
Calvert Hall was stacked but he did much of the work on his own.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Was Cottone the Lefty Fogo at CH last year?
thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

Not positive, but I had heard that he was. Anyone know for sure?
It's interesting when you think about it. Certainly gives the fogo an even bigger advantage if he wins it forward.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”