Johns Hopkins 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
HopFan16

Re: Johns Hopkins 2020

Post by HopFan16 »

houndace1 wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:34 pm
But... Towson does have great athletes every single year. Does stick skills and fast shots outweigh athleticism in terms of scoring and production?
Petro has never lost to the Tigers at Homewood. He's 16-3 in his career against Towson, with all three losses coming on the road. Towson hasn't beaten Hopkins at Homewood in decades. Which team looked more "athletic" in 2018? Or 2016? Or...1997-2014?

Those super athletic and strong Tigers sure seem to lose their athlete powers whenever they venture down Charles St. to play the Jays.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

luvlaxlife wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:24 pm
I didn't have time to scroll...where was Loyola on the list?

I found it! Here, read carefully.

Loy Hop Final.jpg
Loy Hop Final.jpg (188.24 KiB) Viewed 2856 times
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Hm. Any of those guys returning?
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:55 pm
houndace1 wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:34 pm But... Towson does have great athletes every single year. Does stick skills and fast shots outweigh athleticism in terms of scoring and production?
Petro has never lost to the Tigers at Homewood. He's 16-3 in his career against Towson, with all three losses coming on the road. Towson hasn't beaten Hopkins at Homewood in decades. Which team looked more "athletic" in 2018? Or 2016? Or...1997-2014?

Those super athletic and strong Tigers sure seem to lose their athlete powers whenever they venture down Charles St. to play the Jays.
It still would have been a wipe out last year, even if the game was played at Homewood.

This year ?

I give a decided edge in athletes to the Jays, realizing also the Tigers lost a lot.
Wouldn’t be at all surprised to see a complete reversal.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Well that was interesting. Speaking of history I can remember a Loyola game. 1st quarter Hopkins is ahead 8-0 and coach tells the team not to score. Goalie throws an outlet that was intercepted for a score. 9-0 and a future HOFer is pulled.

I can recall a LC team that went undefeated during the season and had the #1 seed playing at home. They lost. Has any other undefeated team lost a first round home playoff game? Seems many on the team were out past 2:00 AM at the Green Turtle.

Side note: I watched, with Joe Boylan the last lax game Diane Geppi-Akens coached vs Yale in the NCAAs. Mo one could have beaten them that day. She died not long after. I didn’t know my future wife’s daughter was playing for Yale. Small but would run through a wall.

It’s amazing how much mental shelf space Hopkins occupies in a few of Loyola fans’ minds. They have an elite coach and a great program but can’t quite shake that inferiority thing

Towson has a long history of physical play and getting the best out of their players. Nads has them well coached and disciplined but except for a few years they have not had enough depth but they are usually a tough out in one way or another.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

OCanada wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:52 pm Well that was interesting. Speaking of history I can remember a Loyola game. 1st quarter Hopkins is ahead 8-0 and coach tells the team not to score. Goalie throws an outlet that was intercepted for a score. 9-0 and a future HOFer is pulled.

I can recall a LC team that went undefeated during the season and had the #1 seed playing at home. They lost. Has any other undefeated team lost a first round home playoff game? Seems many on the team were out past 2:00 AM at the Green Turtle.

Side note: I watched, with Joe Boylan the last lax game Diane Geppi-Akens coached vs Yale in the NCAAs. Mo one could have beaten them that day. She died not long after. I didn’t know my future wife’s daughter was playing for Yale. Small but would run through a wall.

It’s amazing how much mental shelf space Hopkins occupies in a few of Loyola fans’ minds. They have an elite coach and a great program but can’t quite shake that inferiority thing

Towson has a long history of physical play and getting the best out of their players. Nads has them well coached and disciplined but except for a few years they have not had enough depth but they are usually a tough out in one way or another.
Because hopkins is a program that many strive to be like in terms of prestige, achievement, tradition with the 180+ All Americans and 44 national championships. Sure Hopkins hasn't had the greatest success in the last couple years, but it doesn't change the fact that when you think of lacrosse powers, you think of JHU

The record between our school is 8-47 (48?)? so of course we feel the inferiority complex (i most certainly do). Peter Brown might not feel that, given the last 7 years and the head to head record that has produced but Loyola is a tiny catholic school in Baltimore with 5000 students, that is not nationally ranked academically, doesn't produce world leaders/politicians/STEM leaders, running out of funding etc etc
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

And isn’t very funny.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Loyola provides the kind of education that enables its students to go on and become anything they want to be if they have the will Always has as far as I can remember.

It realizes it’s mission very well. There are many tryst don’t. ^5
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Practice started yesterday. There are some photos and short videos on the team's Instagram. Epstein taking Colwell to the rack in 1-on-1 drills and Finley-Ponds dislodging the ball from the stick of who I think was Jack Hawley. What does it all mean?? Time to over-analyze some five-second snippets of video. Is Finley-Ponds the next Mike Pellegrino?
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:31 am And isn’t very funny.

Houndace is a plant...I'm convinced.

FFS Houndace, Hopkins graduated ALGER FRIGGIN HISS! ! Stop kissing their fake diamond ring. The place is straight out of The Wire. 99% of the campus studies molecular biophysics and embraces LARP'ing as a social construct. Most wouldn't pass a mental health background check. The lacrosse team is like a leper colony among this homogenously nerdy campus of perfect SAT'ers, treated like a freak show of normals at a circus of bizzarro.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Peter Brown wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:36 am

FFS Houndace, Hopkins graduated ALGER FRIGGIN HISS! ! Stop kissing their fake diamond ring. The place is straight out of The Wire. 99% of the campus studies molecular biophysics and embraces LARP'ing as a social construct. Most wouldn't pass a mental health background check. The lacrosse team is like a leper colony among this homogenously nerdy campus of perfect SAT'ers, treated like a freak show of normals at a circus of bizzarro.
Why do all the Loyola girls come to Hopkins parties then?
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:38 am
Peter Brown wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:36 am

Why do all the Loyola girls come to Hopkins parties then?
More money and bigger dicks?
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

I was waiting for WOMBAT's post to be denied, but alas, our standards have slipped... :D

Anyway, I was gonna reply with a rapier witty post, but the early afternoon bloody mary's have got my cranium destabilized.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Some Zapruder film here if anyone wants to try to figure out who comes up with this very slick GB during practice:

https://twitter.com/jhumenslacrosse/sta ... 4513374210

Video is too grainy to see the jersey numbers. Looks like a righty attackman or midfielder.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

Peter Brown wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:08 pm I was waiting for WOMBAT's post to be denied, but alas, our standards have slipped... :D

Anyway, I was gonna reply with a rapier witty post, but the early afternoon bloody mary's have got my cranium destabilized.
The Wombat is running free now.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:11 pm Some Zapruder film here if anyone wants to try to figure out who comes up with this very slick GB during practice:

https://twitter.com/jhumenslacrosse/sta ... 4513374210

Video is too grainy to see the jersey numbers. Looks like a righty attackman or midfielder.
zapruder films are nice, better would be an camera fallball video preview q+a like most big boy programs do to engage fans/alumni with an sid discussing what incoming kids he's excited to see, what rising kids could push for spots, why he felt last year was a dissapointment, and how they went from nearly knocking off penn st to that notre dame disaster. none of those things are state secrets and it's time for some light, transparency, accountability and fresh air at homewood.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:59 am
Peter Brown wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:08 pm I was waiting for WOMBAT's post to be denied, but alas, our standards have slipped... :D

The Wombat is running free now.

The 6'5" and 3" combo is a disappointment to the ladies, I hear.
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

But... Towson does have great athletes every single year. Does stick skills and fast shots outweigh athleticism in terms of scoring and production?

Considering the "rankings" of the Hopkins classes vs Towson classes, a 3-5 record vs Nadelen isn't all that great.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

foreverlax wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:58 am

Considering the "rankings" of the Hopkins classes vs Towson classes, a 3-5 record vs Nadelen isn't all that great.
You mean 5-3?
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:30 pm
foreverlax wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:58 am

You mean 5-3?
Correct, my bad...Petro is 5-3 vs Nads as HC

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”