Loyola University Lacrosse 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
kramerica.inc

Re: Loyola University Lacrosse 2020

Post by kramerica.inc »

Familiar with Glenelg County but not the Vandenhuevel kid.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Peter Brown wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:06 pm
NovaHound wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:25 pm Dang - that was beautiful :D I did not realize a Pole had a hand in what might arguably be one of the best #7 highllights from last season. That was so sweet.

If Toomey unleashes the Hounds, watch out!

Coach T will unleash the boys next year...just watch.

Also, McNulty is just a beast with the ball. Watch this kid VandenHeuvel when he motors...he's a McNulty clone.
can we get a little more info on Vandenheuvel? Seems like you're the only one PB who's seen either tape or actual live game minutes for him.
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

houndace1 wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:54 pm
NovaHound wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:25 pm Dang - that was beautiful :D I did not realize a Pole had a hand in what might arguably be one of the best #7 highllights from last season. That was so sweet.

Also, McNulty is just a beast with the ball. Watch this kid VandenHeuvel when he motors...he's a McNulty clone.
can we get a little more info on Vandenheuvel? Seems like you're the only one PB who's seen either tape or actual live game minutes for him.

I can only find spotty 10 second clips online, but here's what to know: Calder is a true lefty, which is a nice asset to have on defense (most D are righties). He's very rangy, his ball anticipation is excellent, he can motor like McNulty, he played on Glenelg's FO unit (helpful), and he has a great crank shot if he's coming down on a fast break (Like McNulty).

From the team site: Graduated from Glenelg Country School in Ellicott City, Maryland, where he earned nine varsity letters, earning four in lacrosse, three in soccer and a pair in ice hockey… Named to the All-Maryland Interscholastic Athletic Association (MIAA) B Conference Team in 2017 and 2018… Earned Glenelg Country's Coaches Award in 2017 and 2018 and was a captain his last two years… Named to the Under Armour Uncommitted Team in 2018… Helped the Dragons reach the MIAA B Conference title game in 2016 and 2019… Captain of the soccer team in 2018 and earned the ice hockey team's Dragon Award in 2019… Played club for Baltimore Breakers.

This to me is the ideal recruit; a completely overlooked developing asset. I think by his senior year he will be a mainstay of this team. This year, I see him learning from McNulty and the other LSM's.

I am hearing good things about another completely overlooked kid: Billy Weiss from Memphis.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Peter Brown wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:41 am
houndace1 wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:54 pm

I can only find spotty 10 second clips online, but here's what to know: Calder is a true lefty, which is a nice asset to have on defense (most D are righties). He's very rangy, his ball anticipation is excellent, he can motor like McNulty, he played on Glenelg's FO unit (helpful), and he has a great crank shot if he's coming down on a fast break (Like McNulty).

From the team site: Graduated from Glenelg Country School in Ellicott City, Maryland, where he earned nine varsity letters, earning four in lacrosse, three in soccer and a pair in ice hockey… Named to the All-Maryland Interscholastic Athletic Association (MIAA) B Conference Team in 2017 and 2018… Earned Glenelg Country's Coaches Award in 2017 and 2018 and was a captain his last two years… Named to the Under Armour Uncommitted Team in 2018… Helped the Dragons reach the MIAA B Conference title game in 2016 and 2019… Captain of the soccer team in 2018 and earned the ice hockey team's Dragon Award in 2019… Played club for Baltimore Breakers.

This to me is the ideal recruit; a completely overlooked developing asset. I think by his senior year he will be a mainstay of this team. This year, I see him learning from McNulty and the other LSM's.

I am hearing good things about another completely overlooked kid: Billy Weiss from Memphis.
I think Calder has some minute long clips on maxpreps if you wanna check that out.

Regarding Weiss and other hidden gems, do you have friends watching practices to relay the info?
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Ocanada said:
I can recall a LC team that went undefeated during the season and had the #1 seed playing at home. They lost. Has any other undefeated team lost a first round home playoff game? Seems many on the team were out past 2:00 AM at the Green Turtle.
A Hop fan should certainly understand having a talented team and being highly disappointed come playoff time...

:lol:

Besides, you’re embellishing that one. Loyola’s awesome undefeated team in ‘99 didn’t lose a first round playoff game. It lost in the ncaa quarterfinals in Princeton, NJ to a good Syracuse and a Powell brother it beat earlier in the season. And there is no Green Turtle in Mercer Co. NJ...

Since your memory seems to be failing, let me refresh it. I think the final was 14-5 that year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXdS8EHBQOE&app=desktop
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Thanks for the correction but you have the wrong game because my memory failed on the ranking and record. It was more than 25 years ago.

LC lost at home to Brown in their first playoff game. it was 1994 ranked 2 with a record of 11-1. I recall it was Brown. The daughter of the woman I was dating - RPC - knew a lot of the players and was there also . When I saw her the morning of the game she predicted LC would lose the game because.... Why were those players not in bed at 2AM. Everyone was shocked they lost except maybe Brown
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

what was she doing out at the turtle until 2 a.m.?
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Hopkins fans prefer discussing lacrosse from 25 years ago, like a comatose patient waking up after a few decades. :lol:

So let's be real for a minute, you Hopkins lurkers: among other matters, Homewood is kind of a dreary spot to play lacrosse; I'd argue that Homewood is potentially the least attractive lacrosse-focused venue in all of D1. Show me a worse venue. I'm all ears and eyes.

And, what do you get for playing there? Tons of online commentary about how 'this class' or 'that class' didn't live up to its overhyped billing while the elephant in the room is this coaching staff's inability to get the best out of some very good players. You have guys like DocB who will die on Mount Petro, saying the coaches don't have a stick in their hands, without once admitting that a ton of really good players end up there and somehow, miraculously, most are never heard from again. Why do you think that is?

We know. That program needs a shot in the arm. And soon.

Hopkins could possibly have a revitalized season this year (good frosh class, let's see if Petro actually plays them), but after that novelty wears off, what then? More mediocrity? Bloomberg's dosh won't make up for the fact that this program has been in a decade-long downfall. Take the dude's cash and offer Nadelin the highest pay in the country to leave Towson. There is your answer, and I would bet even more Jumbo crabs that JHU would see its lacrosse fortunes rise immediately.

Ya heard her here first, argh....I hate helping that program, but I am a moral philanthropist and need the competition again.
Lenwood117

Post by Lenwood117 »

Peter Brown wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:43 am Hopkins fans prefer discussing lacrosse from 25 years ago, like a comatose patient waking up after a few decades. :lol:

So let's be real for a minute, you Hopkins lurkers: among other matters, Homewood is kind of a dreary spot to play lacrosse; I'd argue that Homewood is potentially the least attractive lacrosse-focused venue in all of D1. Show me a worse venue. I'm all ears and eyes.

And, what do you get for playing there? Tons of online commentary about how 'this class' or 'that class' didn't live up to its overhyped billing while the elephant in the room is this coaching staff's inability to get the best out of some very good players. You have guys like DocB who will die on Mount Petro, saying the coaches don't have a stick in their hands, without once admitting that a ton of really good players end up there and somehow, miraculously, most are never heard from again. Why do you think that is?

Hopkins could possibly have a revitalized season this year (good frosh class, let's see if Petro actually plays them), but after that novelty wears off, what then? More mediocrity? Bloomberg's dosh won't make up for the fact that this program has been in a decade-long downfall. Take the dude's cash and offer Nadelin the highest pay in the country to leave Towson. There is your answer, and I would bet even more Jumbo crabs that JHU would see its lacrosse fortunes rise immediately.

Ya heard her here first, argh....I hate helping that program, but I am a moral philanthropist and need the competition again.
I have to say Pete has a good point,I live on LI, DeSimone and Keogh are the same year has my boy 2017, and they both were amazing players in HS. And I wonder are they allow to do their own thing, or do they have set plays every time>
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Lenwood117 wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:19 am
Peter Brown wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:43 am Hopkins fans prefer discussing lacrosse from 25 years ago, like a comatose patient waking up after a few decades. :lol:

I have to say Pete has a good point,I live on LI, DeSimone and Keogh are the same year has my boy 2017, and they both were amazing players in HS. And I wonder are they allow to do their own thing, or do they have set plays every time>

It's almost unfathomable to anyone who has even a remote understanding of the game that both Keough and Desimone were not mainstays immediately. Anyone who ever saw Desimone play in HS had to know the kid had the game to go big Day 1; same with Keough. Let me put it in a way that Hopfan16 might understand: if you gave me a choice between Scanlan and Desimone, I will take Desimone every day plus pay you money for the right. And between the two, who supposedly is Syracuse's savior again? Puhlease...

Look I am not in the helping-Hopkins business, 50% of me wants them to go D3 so I can really dance on their grave, but 50% of me wants them to succeed.

If you're not aware why this team doesn't show better on a field, or at crunch time (NCAA's...), then I can not offer much advice. It's not my baby to mold...but being a neighbor school's #1 fan, I can't lie and say the state of Hopkins lacrosse doesn't hurt some.

It's so obvious, but I am not sure the school that gave us Alger Hiss has the stomach for revolution, which is exactly what is needed.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

DeSimone started at midfield next to Joel Tinney immediately his freshman year. He's started pretty much every game of his career. I get you've made it your life mission to never stop talking about the Hopkins program, but you're really telling on yourself here when you say exceedingly dumb stuff like that.

Keogh was injured his senior year of high school and came into school banged up. Wasn't anywhere near 100%. Showed some progress this past season, earned more playing time.

The Jays have so much real estate in your head, it's incredible.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:35 am DeSimone started at midfield next to Joel Tinney immediately his freshman year. He's started pretty much every game of his career. I get you've made it your life mission to never stop talking about the Hopkins program, but you're really telling on yourself here when you say exceedingly dumb stuff like that.

Keogh was injured his senior year of high school and came into school banged up. Wasn't anywhere near 100%. Showed some progress this past season, earned more playing time.

Connor Desimone had 4 goals last year. The whole season. Scanlan scored 4 goals against Hopkins, in one game.

But yeah, I'm the 'dumb one'. It's not a wonder to me why Hopkins abides by their mediocrity with fans like Hopfan16.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

OCanada wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:22 am Thanks for the correction but you have the wrong game because my memory failed on the ranking and record. It was more than 25 years ago.

LC lost at home to Brown in their first playoff game. It was 1994 ranked 2 with a record of 11-1. I recall it was Brown. The daughter of the woman I was dating - RPC - knew a lot of the players and was there also . When I saw her the morning of the game she predicted LC would lose the game because.... Why were those players not in bed at 2AM. Everyone was shocked they lost except maybe Brown
https://loyolagreyhounds.com/schedule.a ... edule=1338

Understandable. When you said undefeated and #1, that immediately made me think of '99.

It was a home game, and the Hounds lost in the Quarterfinals but It wasn't too much of a shocker when you consider that Brown had some "ok" players too...Greg Cattrano and David Evans come to mind.

:shock:

I'm also not sure if the Loyola boys were really out the previous night or just STILL out celebrating Loyola's first win EVER over JH two weeks prior...That was the track meet where the Hounds beat John Hopkins 17-15.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Peter Brown wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:40 am
HopFan16 wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:35 am DeSimone started at midfield next to Joel Tinney immediately his freshman year. He's started pretty much every game of his career. I get you've made it your life mission to never stop talking about the Hopkins program, but you're really telling on yourself here when you say exceedingly dumb stuff like that.

Connor Desimone had 4 goals last year. The whole season. Scanlan scored 4 goals against Hopkins, in one game.

But yeah, I'm the 'dumb one'. It's not a wonder to me why Hopkins abides by their mediocrity with fans like Hopfan16.
Hey Peter, let me introduce you to my friend, Pete:
Peter Brown wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:28 am
It's almost unfathomable to anyone who has even a remote understanding of the game that both Keough and Desimone were not mainstays immediately. Anyone who ever saw Desimone play in HS had to know the kid had the game to go big Day 1; same with Keough.
Does Hop occupy so much space in your brain that you forgot what you already said an hour ago? Such a shame.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:05 am
Peter Brown wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:40 am

Hey Peter, let me introduce you to my friend, Pete:
It's almost unfathomable to anyone who has even a remote understanding of the game that both Keough and Desimone were not mainstays immediately. Anyone who ever saw Desimone play in HS had to know the kid had the game to go big Day 1; same with Keough.
Does Hop occupy so much space in your brain that you forgot what you already said an hour ago? Such a shame.

I think you might misunderstand what I mean by 'mainstay'...by 'mainstay', I mean a guy who is central to a team, whose production underscores said 'centrality'. If you think a guy who puts 4 goals in net over an entire season (who was a leading HS scoring machine on LI) is a mainstay, that might explain Hopkins mediocrity better than anything I could ever say.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Stating the obvious that D1 is different than high school lax. Some highly ranked players disappoint, some relative unknowns surprise.

Coaching can certainly play a part in one realizing full potential but the truly talented when given opportunity normally perform to a degree to matter some. Should Petro be lauded for bringing out the best in Epstein?

Scanlan? He is no savior nor needs to be but proof is in the pudding , not everyone capitalizes when opportunity presents. Prefer to credit those that realize their talent.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

stupefied wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:14 am Stating the obvious that D1 is different than high school lax. Some highly ranked players disappoint, some relative unknowns surprise.

Coaching can certainly play a part in one realizing full potential but the truly talented when given opportunity normally perform to a degree to matter some. Should Petro be lauded for bringing out the best in Epstein?

Scanlan? He is no savior nor needs to be but proof is in the pudding , not everyone capitalizes when opportunity presents. Prefer to credit those that realize their talent.

Desimone is like the one Hopkins player I actually have more than a little passing familiarity with.

How does a kid put up 16 goals his freshman year then regress to 4 the next? This isn't some weak-kneed MIAA preppie, this is a Long Island kid who came from a public, a kid who has all the moves, the smarts, the speed, the strength. On any other team last year, ANY OTHER TEAM, he'd have been on an All-American list, AT THE VERY LEAST! If he was on Loyola this year, he'd be our top returning middie. And yet, we don't have him and we will still smoke Hopkins this year.

Sure, some kids don't pan out when they hit D1...but they also don't flourish year-one, then disappear the next without a pretty good GD reason!

This kid can flat-out ball.

There is a problem on Charles Street/University Parkway. And it ain't the players.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:36 pm Ocanada said:
I can recall a LC team that went undefeated during the season and had the #1 seed playing at home. They lost. Has any other undefeated team lost a first round home playoff game? Seems many on the team were out past 2:00 AM at the Green Turtle.
Besides, you’re embellishing that one. Loyola’s awesome undefeated team in ‘99 didn’t lose a first round playoff game. It lost in the ncaa quarterfinals in Princeton, NJ to a good Syracuse and a Powell brother it beat earlier in the season. And there is no Green Turtle in Mercer Co. NJ...

Great viewing.
A real eye opener on how good that defense was.
Still bums me out to this day.
There were some VG teams in that timeframe, and that Hounds team was one I definitely tracked.
Hounds completely shut down John Grant Jr. and one of my fav Hens teams.
thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

10stone5 wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:19 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:36 pm Ocanada said:

Great viewing.
A real eye opener on how good that defense was.
Still bums me out to this day.
There were some VG teams in that timeframe, and that Hounds team was one I definitely tracked.
Hounds completely shut down John Grant Jr. and one of my fav Hens teams.
The crazy part is that 99 Loyola team had 7 AAs that year.

A Oshea (2nd)
A Shindler (HM)

M Mark Frye (1st)
M Todd Vizz (2nd)

D Ohara (3rd)
D Metz (3rd)
G Brown (3rd)

But you don't realize how deep they were in almost every position, especially on the defensive side of the ball.

After gradating the 6 of those AAs in 99, 7 underclassmen on that roster stepped up and ended up making AA in either 2000, 2001 or both:

M Mike Battista (1st)
A Tim Goettleman (2nd)
M Bobby Horsey (HM)
D Dave Metz (3rd)
D Joe Rodriguez (HM)
M Michael Sullivan (HM)
LSM Mike Stromberg (3rd)
I never knew no Godfather. I got my own family, Senator."
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Lenwood117 wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:19 am

It's almost unfathomable to anyone who has even a remote understanding of the game that both Keough and Desimone were not mainstays immediately. Anyone who ever saw Desimone play in HS had to know the kid had the game to go big Day 1; same with Keough. Let me put it in a way that Hopfan16 might understand: if you gave me a choice between Scanlan and Desimone, I will take Desimone every day plus pay you money for the right. And between the two, who supposedly is Syracuse's savior again? Puhlease...

Look I am not in the helping-Hopkins business, 50% of me wants them to go D3 so I can really dance on their grave, but 50% of me wants them to succeed.

If you're not aware why this team doesn't show better on a field, or at crunch time (NCAA's...), then I can not offer much advice. It's not my baby to mold...but being a neighbor school's #1 fan, I can't lie and say the state of Hopkins lacrosse doesn't hurt some.

It's so obvious, but I am not sure the school that gave us Alger Hiss has the stomach for revolution, which is exactly what is needed.
'Hell has no fury like a avid Hounds fan scorned'

2019 take

" Chase Scanlan is a remarkable talent"

"Scanlan imo is the single best freshman in the country. His dodging skills plus his confidence are what was missing from last year's team. Scanlan gives the Hounds this other iso threat beside Spencer, opening the field up for exceptionally talented finishers like Lindley and Olmstead (and Duffy and McGovern and Brown etc...)."

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”