Loyola University Lacrosse 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
houndace1

Re: Loyola University Lacrosse 2020

Post by houndace1 »

Peter Brown wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:02 am
NovaHound wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:18 am You forgot Railey. Handled the position very well after missing two full seasons. I think he's going to be a confident and vocal leader out there because he's gone through 1 full season and got his chops in. And I don't think he'll be concerened about reinjuring anything. Also - He plays smart defense.

I've heard good things about LeBlanc and he's also battled injuries. Seems like half of Toomey's defensemen have had their share of injuries but someone always seems to step up. That's good coaching and recruiting.

Have not heard how Hughes is doing after his injury. If he's 100% watch out. And I do like the 4 SSDMs you mentioned. I think a couple of them got dinged up last year too. Depth is so important.

Anyway - great lax discourse. :)

An area where this thread has forgotten to discuss (have we?...I am too tired to read back too many pages) is LSM. I actually think this is our greatest strength.

McNulty, Middleton, Shires, and the kid, vandenHeuvel. These four guys are beyond legit. When you pair any of these guys with our SSDM, that is a phenomenal squad with actual depth, not pretend depth. If one guy goes down with an injury, we won't lose much in production.

Btw, I note that the roster page has Pacheco at FO, not middie, even though I think Toomey will use him more at middie provided he doesn't go at .600+ when he takes FO's, then it's on like donkey-kong among Pacheco, Savio, and Cottone for the starting FOGO role.
But did Shires, and Middleton get adequate playing time to really show how much potential they have? They got time when Johnson and another were injured. But where do they fit in now, with Railey, Johnson, Mcnulty, Hughes (if he's 100% healthy)

Vandenheuvel- hes the rookie here. All we have is highlights, which is just to show exactly highlights of performance in games. A small sample.

Slight problem with the SSDMS- Boland and Higgins are seniors and Benus is a junior. In one year we will lose the senior defensive midfielders, this position needs to be addressed

On another note I will give credit to Toomey, the fact that many defenseman/players were nicked up and the team was still able to make a quarterfinals run albeit it with the greatest player to ever play for Loyola along with a top goalie, shows that maybe if fully healthy they can replicate success.

We only know weekend games and their on field results, but we don't know the extent of locker rooms, player dynamics, treatment, injuries, and on field practice (UNLESS one of us actually attends practices to watch)

The only one that knows what it's like on the inside for college athletics is thatsmell as he actually played for Evergreen, at least i think so.
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

I feel that is very unfair that wgsdr and o'canada have been having a running five-page incoherent argument about something-something recruiting related to Dom Starsia and UVA, on the Hopkins thread, artificially boosting Hop's page count, all because of an argument wholly unrelated to the Hopkins team! :lol:

If you are going to boost page counts, at least restrict it to a topic partially related to Hopkins.

Come to think of it, perhaps one of those fellers is bashing Petro's previous recruiting style, which to be fair to Petro was similar to most blueblood coaches' styles, which was to sign LOI's with unborn children still in their mother's womb if both parents had played college lacrosse (on the hope that said unborn child would be a boy and further would grow up to be on IL's 'Top-100 Young Guns' nonsense list.

As for us lowly Hounds' fans, I am simply looking at this site to receive inside skinny on the team! Fall ball! Let's go!!!!!
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

houndace1 wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:48 am
NovaHound wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:23 am Ah... One more thought to keep the page count up :lol:

I think PB is on to something about the 2020 team. They will forge their own identity and much like the 2012 Champs will leverage the lack of respect to create a culture "we'll show them" or something to that effect. They've got holes to fill but Toomey has the pieces to plug the holes.
Does he though?? i get that these defensemen we named were injured in 2019 but that's it- Defense. Loyola 2020 is a defensive laden team. Who does Toomey have in the bench or in the recruit pipeline for now or 2021 that can organically reproduce points that Spencer, Scanlan, Duffy, Mcgovern gave last year? Thats about 61% of the total points that Loyola scored- and all of that is gone?
I think we have some very good pieces. That special sauce of them all Gelling is another question.

But we are incredibly fortunate to have Marc Van Arsdale. He's our Offensive MVP. He's the straw that stirs our drink. He's a HOF offensive coach. He's done it for decades, everywhere he's been. Couple him with Toomey who is a HOF coach at developing talent, and the future is bright at Evergreen.
NovaHound

Post by NovaHound »

I gotta wear shades :lol:
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Peter Brown wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:24 pm I feel that is very unfair that wgsdr and o'canada have been having a running five-page incoherent argument about something-something recruiting related to Dom Starsia and UVA, on the Hopkins thread, artificially boosting Hop's page count, all because of an argument wholly unrelated to the Hopkins team! :lol:

If you are going to boost page counts, at least restrict it to a topic partially related to Hopkins.

Come to think of it, perhaps one of those fellers is bashing Petro's previous recruiting style, which to be fair to Petro was similar to most blueblood coaches' styles, which was to sign LOI's with unborn children still in their mother's womb if both parents had played college lacrosse (on the hope that said unborn child would be a boy and further would grow up to be on IL's 'Top-100 Young Guns' nonsense list.

As for us lowly Hounds' fans, I am simply looking at this site to receive inside skinny on the team! Fall ball! Let's go!!!!!
yeah, largely not related to hopkins, i'd say. but yet it was tangentially. i think. in any event, the irony isn't lost on you that save your throwaway line at the end, these posts aren't either. and no, i was not bashing anyone in the hopkins program. and yes, recruiting style of nabbing children became pretty pervasive everywhere, especially bluebood-everywhere.

though some programs didn't limit the player's procreators to being lacrosse players. wise move.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:00 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:24 pm I feel that is very unfair that wgsdr and o'canada have been having a running five-page incoherent argument about something-something recruiting related to Dom Starsia and UVA, on the Hopkins thread, artificially boosting Hop's page count, all because of an argument wholly unrelated to the Hopkins team! :lol:

yeah, largely not related to hopkins, i'd say. but yet it was tangentially. i think. in any event, the irony isn't lost on you that save your throwaway line at the end, these posts aren't either. and no, i was not bashing anyone in the hopkins program. and yes, recruiting style of nabbing children became pretty pervasive everywhere, especially bluebood-everywhere.

though some programs didn't limit the player's procreators to being lacrosse players. wise move.

I hope you're saving some of your hard-earned dosh for my 2 dozen crabs, wgdsr!! Today's prices: $119/for a doz XL (no jumbo's which we agreed to, but they have none!). I am sooooo hungry. My team is hungry, too! r.e.s.p.e.c.t., as Aretha famously said. Our team is foaming at the mouth.
thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

houndace1 wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:54 am
NovaHound wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:18 am You forgot Railey. Handled the position very well after missing two full seasons. I think he's going to be a confident and vocal leader out there because he's gone through 1 full season and got his chops in. And I don't think he'll be concerened about reinjuring anything. Also - He plays smart defense.

I've heard good things about LeBlanc and he's also battled injuries. Seems like half of Toomey's defensemen have had their share of injuries but someone always seems to step up. That's good coaching and recruiting.

Have not heard how Hughes is doing after his injury. If he's 100% watch out. And I do like the 4 SSDMs you mentioned. I think a couple of them got dinged up last year too. Depth is so important.

An area where this thread has forgotten to discuss (have we?...I am too tired to read back too many pages) is LSM. I actually think this is our greatest strength.

McNulty, Middleton, Shires, and the kid, vandenHeuvel. These four guys are beyond legit. When you pair any of these guys with our SSDM, that is a phenomenal squad with actual depth, not pretend depth. If one guy goes down with an injury, we won't lose much in production.

Btw, I note that the roster page has Pacheco at FO, not middie, even though I think Toomey will use him more at middie provided he doesn't go at .600+ when he takes FO's, then it's on like donkey-kong among Pacheco, Savio, and Cottone for the starting FOGO role.
But did Shires, and Middleton get adequate playing time to really show how much potential they have? They got time when Johnson and another were injured. But where do they fit in now, with Railey, Johnson, Mcnulty, Hughes (if he's 100% healthy)

Vandenheuvel- hes the rookie here. All we have is highlights, which is just to show exactly highlights of performance in games. A small sample.

Slight problem with the SSDMS- Boland and Higgins are seniors and Benus is a junior. In one year we will lose the senior defensive midfielders, this position needs to be addressed

On another note I will give credit to Toomey, the fact that many defenseman/players were nicked up and the team was still able to make a quarterfinals run albeit it with the greatest player to ever play for Loyola along with a top goalie, shows that maybe if fully healthy they can replicate success.

We only know weekend games and their on field results, but we don't know the extent of locker rooms, player dynamics, treatment, injuries, and on field practice (UNLESS one of us actually attends practices to watch)

The only one that knows what it's like on the inside for college athletics is thatsmell as he actually played for Evergreen, at least i think so.
I did play for Toomey and the Hounds so I have an idea of what his demeanor is like as a coach and what the Loyola lacrosse culture is all about, but it was still many years ago at this point.

I can say that our lockeroom was ALWAYS incredibly competitive, extremely motivated and very close. In everything- team runs, wallball, individual field/shooting reps, end of practice sprints, indoor pickup lacrosse games, everything. You were always looking out for your teammates, trying to win and beat your teammates. In a good way.

My junior year was the most competitive year for me. And there were some parallels to what this current hounds team is facing.

We had just lost one of the most talented SR classes ever the previous year (including at least 3 AAs) and started the season outside of the top 10 for the first time in many years. We were ranked 11-13 depending on what publication you read. The chips on everyone's shoulders were immense. It did not sit well with the team. We had a lot to prove. And we did. We finished the season ranked in the top 3 and had a new crop of AAs.

The lockeroom dynamic changes on a yearly basis. I can say, that year was the best lockeroom I was ever a part of. The guys on the team took ownership of everything. It' wasn't all Toomey. We as a team pushed eachother and held everyone accountable- From runs to stickwork to academics and how clean the lockerooom was. That is the key to those GREAT years.
I never knew no Godfather. I got my own family, Senator."
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Does he though?? i get that these defensemen we named were injured in 2019 but that's it- Defense. Loyola 2020 is a defensive laden team. Who does Toomey have in the bench or in the recruit pipeline for now or 2021 that can organically reproduce points that Spencer, Scanlan, Duffy, Mcgovern gave last year? Thats about 61% of the total points that Loyola scored-
and all of that is gone?

Are you sure you're a Hounds' fan?

C'mon, man. We have all the tools we need. Not saying I wouldn't love to have Pat back for another season, but you're overlooking the superior ability of some of these Hounds who now don't have a huge shadow to live under.

You'll see Lindley go bananas this year, as will Olmstead. I wouldn't take another attackman in the country over these two, and yeah I'm looking right at you, Ament. You should see the bench of attackman vying for the 3rd spot.

Let's go to FOGO. What was for most of last season a rough .490 figure, this year will approach .600. What we lose with Pat we make back up at FO. You'll see.

LSM: best in the country. All four guys. 'Nuff said.

SSDM: probably the best in the country.

Defense: by far the best squad in D1. No one close.

Goalie.... :o OK, I can't make promises here. But I have faith in these four guys just like I do with Joseph, Mary, and Jesus, when not taking their name in vain.

Coaches: with Tillman and Nadelin, Toomey is best in the country. It's those three then everyone else.

LET'S GET THIS SEASON STARTED SO I DON'T HAVE TO KEEP MAKING PROMISES!!!! I want to deliver!
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Peter Brown wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:09 pm
wgdsr wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:00 pm

I hope you're saving some of your hard-earned dosh for my 2 dozen crabs, wgdsr!! Today's prices: $119/for a doz XL (no jumbo's which we agreed to, but they have none!). I am sooooo hungry. My team is hungry, too! r.e.s.p.e.c.t., as Aretha famously said. Our team is foaming at the mouth.
it's a dozen crabs. and 3 suds apiece for your thirsty men.
i believe it was BigTom4 who jumped in also, so you may make a separate (or coinciding) date with him.

and yes, we did say jumbo, so expecting -- as you know your way around the place -- that you can get that squared away by then.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

thatsmell wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:14 pm
houndace1 wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:54 am

I did play for Toomey and the Hounds so I have an idea of what his demeanor is like as a coach and what the Loyola lacrosse culture is all about, but it was still many years ago at this point.

I can say that our lockeroom was ALWAYS incredibly competitive, extremely motivated and very close. In everything- team runs, wallball, individual field/shooting reps, end of practice sprints, indoor pickup lacrosse games, everything. You were always looking out for your teammates, trying to win and beat your teammates. In a good way.

My junior year was the most competitive year for me. And there were some parallels to what this current hounds team is facing.

We had just lost one of the most talented SR classes ever the previous year (including at least 3 AAs) and started the season outside of the top 10 for the first time in many years. We were ranked 11-13 depending on what publication you read. The chips on everyone's shoulders were immense. It did not sit well with the team. We had a lot to prove. And we did. We finished the season ranked in the top 3 and had a new crop of AAs.

The lockeroom dynamic changes on a yearly basis. I can say, that year was the best lockeroom I was ever a part of. The guys on the team took ownership of everything. It' wasn't all Toomey. We as a team pushed eachother and held everyone accountable- From runs to stickwork to academics and how clean the lockerooom was. That is the key to those GREAT years.
Toomey first took the job in 2006, he's been the HC for 14 years. Quick scroll of Loyola's history and schedules i would(shot in the dark) guess you played between 2007-2010, at least those years some publications ranked Loyola in the 11-16 range.

That being said, what is Toomey like as a coach in practice vs a coach in games? What's the culture like- is it as blue collared as i've read about in interviews? All i can infer is that he's intense in both settings.
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Peter Brown wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:22 pm
Does he though?? i get that these defensemen we named were injured in 2019 but that's it- Defense. Loyola 2020 is a defensive laden team. Who does Toomey have in the bench or in the recruit pipeline for now or 2021 that can organically reproduce points that Spencer, Scanlan, Duffy, Mcgovern gave last year? Thats about 61% of the total points that Loyola scored-
and all of that is gone?

Are you sure you're a Hounds' fan?

C'mon, man. We have all the tools we need. Not saying I wouldn't love to have Pat back for another season, but you're overlooking the superior ability of some of these Hounds who now don't have a huge shadow to live under.

You'll see Lindley go bananas this year, as will Olmstead. I wouldn't take another attackman in the country over these two, and yeah I'm looking right at you, Ament. You should see the bench of attackman vying for the 3rd spot.

Let's go to FOGO. What was for most of last season a rough .490 figure, this year will approach .600. What we lose with Pat we make back up at FO. You'll see.

LSM: best in the country. All four guys. 'Nuff said.

SSDM: probably the best in the country.

Defense: by far the best squad in D1. No one close.

Goalie.... :o OK, I can't make promises here. But I have faith in these four guys just like I do with Joseph, Mary, and Jesus, when not taking their name in vain.

Coaches: with Tillman and Nadelin, Toomey is best in the country. It's those three then everyone else.

LET'S GET THIS SEASON STARTED SO I DON'T HAVE TO KEEP MAKING PROMISES!!!! I want to deliver!
I base my thoughts off of 1 year of history. 2014 the team graduated Justin Ward, Joe Fletcher, Jack Runkel, All key playmakers and Inside Lacrosse/ US LAX was high on the Hounds in the preseason of the 2015 season (my freshman year). School was hyped for the season as we were ranked 7th in the country. What happened? We didn't have a playmaker/distributor/ solid Goalie and wounded up with a 7-8 regular season record. I went to every home game in my 4 years at Loyola- you all know I take this team and their success very seriously. I was infuriated how we got wrecked at home by Colgate 11-4, and giving up a 4 goal lead with 4 minutes to go against Army in the PL Quarterfinals to be knocked out of NCAA contention.

For the love of God, i do not want this to happen again in 2020.
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

kramerica.inc wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:49 pm
NovaHound wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:23 am Ah... One more thought to keep the page count up :lol:

I think PB is on to something about the 2020 team. They will forge their own identity and much like the 2012 Champs will leverage the lack of respect to create a culture "we'll show them" or something to that effect. They've got holes to fill but Toomey has the pieces to plug the holes.
Does he though?? i get that these defensemen we named were injured in 2019 but that's it- Defense. Loyola 2020 is a defensive laden team. Who does Toomey have in the bench or in the recruit pipeline for now or 2021 that can organically reproduce points that Spencer, Scanlan, Duffy, Mcgovern gave last year? Thats about 61% of the total points that Loyola scored- and all of that is gone?
I think we have some very good pieces. That special sauce of them all Gelling is another question.

But we are incredibly fortunate to have Marc Van Arsdale. He's our Offensive MVP. He's the straw that stirs our drink. He's a HOF offensive coach. He's done it for decades, everywhere he's been. Couple him with Toomey who is a HOF coach at developing talent, and the future is bright at Evergreen.
maybe this is me with inferiority complex, i do agree that MVA is an offensive genius, where he and Toomey recruit nice pieces to complement the offensive and defensive guys, but how does one explain the eggs laid against Duke every year, or the occasional slip ups to Bucknell/BU? Or the giant What the heck loss to Army this year in the PL semi's who had virtually no face off unit?
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

tech37

Post by tech37 »

houndace1 wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:21 pm

maybe this is me with inferiority complex, i do agree that MVA is an offensive genius, where he and Toomey recruit nice pieces to complement the offensive and defensive guys, but how does one explain the eggs laid against Duke every year, or the occasional slip ups to Bucknell/BU? Or the giant What the heck loss to Army this year in the PL semi's who had virtually no face off unit?
Easy, two words... Surdick & Barretto. Surdick owned Spencer and Barretto was a wall.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

tech37 wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:09 am

Easy, two words... Surdick & Barretto. Surdick owned Spencer and Barretto was a wall.

Exactly.

If you ever saw how Surdick matched up against Pat, it was muscle/size/speed/brains versus muscle/size/speed/brains. I'm not sure there was any other defender in the country who had Surdick's combinations.

The problem then for the Hounds was once Pat was taken out of the equation, our offense was somewhat disjointed, as if we had lost one hand. That does not mean, Houndace1, that we will be similarly disjointed this year. When a senior leader accounts for so much of the initiating offense, and your other two stars are sophomores with a not-perfect midfield as complements, there's a good chance you won't perform ideally. Couple that with Baretto in cage, it's not hard to see how we fumbled some in that game.

This season will be a different story! Let's roll!
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

tech37 wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:09 am

Didn’t see it coming either. Spencer lit up both in the first matchup.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

NovaHound wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:54 pm I gotta wear shades :lol:
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

The third clip is beautiful.

5 passes in transition and a goal. The LSMs making things happen.

https://www.instagram.com/loyolamlax/p/BuXewOWBp7E/
NovaHound

Post by NovaHound »

Dang - that was beautiful :D I did not realize a Pole had a hand in what might arguably be one of the best #7 highllights from last season. That was so sweet.

If Toomey unleashes the Hounds, watch out!
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

NovaHound wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:25 pm Dang - that was beautiful :D I did not realize a Pole had a hand in what might arguably be one of the best #7 highllights from last season. That was so sweet.

If Toomey unleashes the Hounds, watch out!

Coach T will unleash the boys next year...just watch.

Also, McNulty is just a beast with the ball. Watch this kid VandenHeuvel when he motors...he's a McNulty clone.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”