2020 Elections - Trump FIRED

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
a fan

Re: 2020 Elections - A Reckoning

Post by a fan »

Media picked ol' Hill from the word go. 21-30 year olds don't vote.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

a fan wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:54 pm Media picked ol' Hill from the word go. 21-30 year olds don't vote.
Did they 'pick' her or did they simply accurately predict the net outcome of the primaries?

Seems to me that the DNC actually put their thumb on the scale for HRC, though I doubt it mattered all that much.

This go round, I'm worried that Biden doesn't have the juice.
He doesn't have HRC's negatives, but does he have the juice to win?

And that Warren gives too many an excuse to pull the lever for Trump. Same for Bernie.
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

How does Warren give voters a reason to vote for Trump, exactly?

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

dislaxxic wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:26 am How does Warren give voters a reason to vote for Trump, exactly?

I wish this wasn't the case but I'd put it in two broad areas:

1) Sexism. Quite a few men, and some (typically older) women, find someone like Warren too "pushy", too "strident". I'd confess to understanding how her voice can be grating, sometimes sounding more like a whine than not. For many of those folks, who might otherwise be persuaded, this is a factor, though mostly an unconscious one. This is a challenge for most women, but some across less gratingly than others.

2) Unabashedly far left policies that lend themselves to conservatives' and moderates' fears of the far left, make her easy to label, easy to be alarmed by.

Put those two together and it could be the difference in the swing states that are critical to winning the Electoral College.
old salt

Post by old salt »

The cable news channels (all 3) are damaging Biden by re-running his telling of his jumbled war story, over & over. It's killing him softly.
How would a young(?) Navy Captain find himself rappelling down a ravine at a remote FOB in Afghanistan & be awarded a Silver Star in the field ?
Joe's stubborn refusal to acknowledge his memory lapse & confusion just makes it worse.
His over-dramatization in the telling also makes it worse. It's an unnecessary embellishment with a whiff of stolen valor.
Stories like that, you gotta get 'em right. They should be respectfully understated, not hyped for dramatic effect.
It's the soldier's story Joe, it's not about you. Don't insert yourself into it.
It's good to acknowledge the heroics & sacrifices of our warriors, but they shouldn't be exploited as fodder for political infomercials.
Uncle Joe is probably sincere & means well, but... it's just sad to watch it play out this way.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Rachel Bitecofer predicted last year's midterms with incredible accuracy. Her 2020 forecast is ...
https://www.salon.com/2019/08/17/this-p ... -forecast/
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

CU77 wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:31 pm
Rachel Bitecofer predicted last year's midterms with incredible accuracy. Her 2020 forecast is ...
Interesting analysis.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:38 am
CU77 wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:31 pm
Interesting analysis.
Saw a brief interview with her. I forgot how impactful 3rd party candidate was. That factor along with the Russian arm of the campaign was enough to tilt the election to Trump’s favor. Not sure that will be duplicated next time but it’s a different election. Time will tell.
“I wish you would!”
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Elizabeth has some splainin’ to do: https://www.instagram.com/p/B15A0AHnCNc ... 90d96tphb8
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

old salt wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:20 am The cable news channels (all 3) are damaging Biden by re-running his telling of his jumbled war story, over & over. It's killing him softly.
How would a young(?) Navy Captain find himself rappelling down a ravine at a remote FOB in Afghanistan & be awarded a Silver Star in the field ?
Joe's stubborn refusal to acknowledge his memory lapse & confusion just makes it worse.
His over-dramatization in the telling also makes it worse. It's an unnecessary embellishment with a whiff of stolen valor.
Stories like that, you gotta get 'em right. They should be respectfully understated, not hyped for dramatic effect.
It's the soldier's story Joe, it's not about you. Don't insert yourself into it.
It's good to acknowledge the heroics & sacrifices of our warriors, but they shouldn't be exploited as fodder for political infomercials.
Uncle Joe is probably sincere & means well, but... it's just sad to watch it play out this way.
Agreed. This criticism also applies to the current Commander in Chief.

Biden is definitely not my first choice and probably shouldn't have entered the race this year.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

holmes435 wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:50 pm
old salt wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:20 am The cable news channels (all 3) are damaging Biden by re-running his telling of his jumbled war story, over & over. It's killing him softly.

Biden is definitely not my first choice and probably shouldn't have entered the race this year.
Here is a rare occurrence... I am in agreement with you Holmes. The problem the Democrats have is once they throw Biden to the sharks they have no other front runner that will ever gain any traction with mainstream Americans. Defeating Trump should be childs play for the Democrats. They are so freaking blind that they are willing to put Bernie and Liz potentially at the top of their ticket and think that either of those two candidates can beat Trump. If I didn't know better I honestly think you folks want Trump to win again. :?
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
seacoaster

Re: 2020 Elections - The Don in Trouble

Post by seacoaster »

Frank Bruni on Biden:

"To go by much of the coverage of Joe Biden lately, he’s a candidate flirting with disaster, fumbling toward mortification, his footing unsure, his purpose unclear, his political demise just a matter of time. And maybe that’s so.

But the Biden story so far has actually been one of surprising durability. He led the Democratic field when he entered the race more than four months ago. In the latest surveys, with the exception of one outlier a week and a half ago, he leads the field still — by double digits in several polls.

He had an awful first debate; his lead held. He had a mediocre second debate; ditto. His oratorical errors multiply. Still he’s the front-runner.

So is the negative media coverage a reflection of our own restlessness and insistence on a story line less static than the current one? To a minor extent, yes.

But we’re also flagging undeniable shortcomings of Biden’s that are likely to become even more apparent as the exhaustion of a long campaign kicks in. They’ll also become more noticeable to voters, many of whom aren’t paying especially close attention yet. We’re rightly sending up a flare about that.

Biden doesn’t project the energy that he once did. He seems less sharp, less crisp. Maybe that’s vitally important, maybe it’s of negligible concern: Voters can and should decide which. Either way, it would be derelict of us to ignore it.

But that’s precisely what many Democrats want us to do. They feel that unflattering appraisals of any of the most likely nominees are a crack in party solidarity and a gift to Donald Trump. I know because some of these Democrats are readers of this newsletter, and you’ve contacted me to urge me and my colleagues to go easy on the party’s prime contenders in light of the stakes: four more years of Trump.

I don’t think that’s an appropriate tack journalistically, and I don’t think it’s a wise one tactically. A rigorous vetting of the primary candidates is the route to the best nominee, and it’s not as if flaws that we turn a blind eye to now will then be missed by Trump and his allies. They’ll go in for the kill, and the primary process is partly about discovering how well various Democratic candidates will respond to that. We can’t know unless they’re navigating similar criticisms before the general election.

What we in the media do need to be careful about is reducing any of the Democratic candidates to a single narrative or letting one facet of their bids eclipse all others, because that prevents a candidate from getting his or her full message out and the public from hearing it.

We arguably did that with Hillary Clinton and her emails four years ago. Let’s not do that with Biden’s gaffes this time around."

FYI, I am not a Biden supporter; I just thought Bruni's take was worth posting here.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

cradleandshoot wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:10 pm
holmes435 wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:50 pm

Here is a rare occurrence... I am in agreement with you Holmes. The problem the Democrats have is once they throw Biden to the sharks they have no other front runner that will ever gain any traction with mainstream Americans. Defeating Trump should be childs play for the Democrats. They are so freaking blind that they are willing to put Bernie and Liz potentially at the top of their ticket and think that either of those two candidates can beat Trump. If I didn't know better I honestly think you folks want Trump to win again. :?
Bingo. Why? For the reasons afan has stated before...Trump is a true democrat with an r next to his name. And by them NOT having a true Kennedy type democrat to put in against Trump, they are better off putting someone they know will likely be beat....AND if Trump does lose to a Warren or Sanders type, they can easily deal with that on the senate and house floor.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
HooDat

Re: 2020 Elections - the Reckoning

Post by HooDat »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:45 pm Bingo. Why? For the reasons afan has stated before...Trump is a true democrat with an r next to his name
and they can sit back and blame the R's for anything that doesn't go right.
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

“I don’t take responsibility at all.” —Donald J Trump
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Typical French....glom on after someone else does the dirty work. :lol:
~Livy

a fan

Post by a fan »

Who cares? I like Trump's policies. Making a big deal about willfully losing your country's sovereignty and your elections is just Russiaphobia.

Stupid liberals.

Do you know how the Chinese can ruin the legitimacy of US Elections in 30 seconds?

Have Smithfield Foods, which is owned by China's WH Group, run a 100% legal campaign commercial supporting (or not, it doesn't matter which) a State Ballot initiative. But sure to make viewers see the WH Group's logo at the end of the political ad.

Whoops? What's that you say? Citizens United made it totally legal to run Corporate political Ads? Sweet.
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

afan - your truth is depressing. Can I go back to the times when we were stupidly ignorant and just let our politicians sell us to the highest bidder? :cry: ;)
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

a fan wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:03 pm
Who cares? I like Trump's policies. Making a big deal about willfully losing your country's sovereignty and your elections is just Russiaphobia.

Stupid liberals.

Do you know how the Chinese can ruin the legitimacy of US Elections in 30 seconds?

Have Smithfield Foods, which is owned by China's WH Group, run a 100% legal campaign commercial supporting (or not, it doesn't matter which) a State Ballot initiative. But sure to make viewers see the WH Group's logo at the end of the political ad.

Whoops? What's that you say? Citizens United made it totally legal to run Corporate political Ads? Sweet.
Chinese may go all in this election. Get their guy in and the set up factories here to be their cheap source of labor.
“I wish you would!”
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

Meet the People Behind Donald Trump's Popularity

The Big Picture
This set of facts, culled from a series of surveys conducted by one of the U.S.'s most respected public opinion research centers, leaves us with a clear picture of those behind Trump's rise to political prominence. They are primarily white, older men with low levels of education and income. They believe that immigrants and free trade deals have harmed their earning power (and they're right about the free trade deals), and they prefer an America in which white people are the majority. Trump's worldview and platform ​seem to resonate with them.
Yet, following the election, exit poll data shows that Trump's appeal was far broader than polling and voting during the primaries suggested. He captured the votes of the vast majority of white people, regardless of age, class, or gender. This racial division in the electorate further played out in the ten days following the election, when a surge of hate crimes, fueled by an embrace of Trump's rhetoric, swept the nation.

So, will old, white guys, with low levels of education and income support trump this time around?

Are they better off then 4 years ago?

Return to “POLITICS”