Loyola University Lacrosse 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Peter Brown

Re: Loyola University Lacrosse 2020

Post by Peter Brown »

houndace1 wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:43 pm
as an accountant, i believe in numbers and what story or end result they can tell - what can i say?

PB, does each coach at their respective school have a certain way they recruit? i've seen on twitter that they look for certain attributes/types of athletes and students but i've always wondered what they mean by this

Houndace1: U know the definition of an accountant? A guy who wanted to be a mortician but didn’t have the personality. ;)

Grading high school lacrosse players is an art, not a science. I love Ty X as much as anyone (I appreciate anyone who devotes themselves to this sport), but Ty'd the be the first to tell you he misses some, which can happen now that the sport is a national sport. Who's gonna go scout Evan James in Ohio?
How often does James get to play Calvert Hall so the IL crew can jump in an Uber and watch the game? Zero.

Treat the 'star system' with raised eyebrows. It's fun to look at, but it means less to know who will absolutely star in D1 than you'd think. There are some no-miss players like St. Anthony's Brennan O'Neill, but don't forget that Pat Spencer was rated like #28 in his class.

As far as how coaches recruit, I suspect some have their own ways...but frankly, I think it's more 'blocking and tackling' by assistant coaches to try to get a kid to come to your school, not to mention the allure (or not) of the school's culture.

Speaking of Johns Hopkins, we are tied on their page count. :lol:
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

houndace1 wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:27 am
kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:13 pm Congrats to Loyola for having zero players on Ty Zander's Top 100 of the class of 2019 players list!
Quite a remarkable feat and it undoubtedly bodes well for their future.

this is playful sarcasm right?? unfortunately we don't get the top recruits every single year which frustrates me beyond belief
Houndace,

MY point is: don't sweat ANY list.

My comment was because the Hounds rarely have highly hyped kids or classes according to this zander guy and always do great. Conversely, look at Hopkins, OSU, etc etc. Their recruiting classes are "stacked" year over year by the guy and have no recent hardware of note to show for it. Theres no real science or knowledge to it. These publications are just trying to get clicks and hits.

Just trust in Toomey, Dwan, GVA and Vaikness. There's not much difference between a lot of these kids out of h.s. It's all about culture, work ethic and talent development. The Loyola coaching staff knows what they are looking for and know how to develop it.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

WAS tied. We now lead.
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

Peter Brown wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:54 pm
as an accountant, i believe in numbers and what story or end result they can tell - what can i say?

PB, does each coach at their respective school have a certain way they recruit? i've seen on twitter that they look for certain attributes/types of athletes and students but i've always wondered what they mean by this

Houndace1: U know the definition of an accountant? A guy who wanted to be a mortician but didn’t have the personality. ;)

Grading high school lacrosse players is an art, not a science. I love Ty X as much as anyone (I appreciate anyone who devotes themselves to this sport), but Ty'd the be the first to tell you he misses some, which can happen now that the sport is a national sport. Who's gonna go scout Evan James in Ohio?
How often does James get to play Calvert Hall so the IL crew can jump in an Uber and watch the game? Zero.

Treat the 'star system' with raised eyebrows. It's fun to look at, but it means less to know who will absolutely star in D1 than you'd think. There are some no-miss players like St. Anthony's Brennan O'Neill, but don't forget that Pat Spencer was rated like #28 in his class.

As far as how coaches recruit, I suspect some have their own ways...but frankly, I think it's more 'blocking and tackling' by assistant coaches to try to get a kid to come to your school, not to mention the allure (or not) of the school's culture.

Pat Spencer was #6 in his class by IL the fall of his freshman year at Loyola.
https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... ings/32996
At this point Xanders was off doing his own thing at Recruiting Rundown, but I can't find his list. He also liked to wait until much closer to the spring to release his list, probably so that it was more accurate than IL's.

Regarding the numbers and how they tell a story, I am also an accountant, and I know to figure out how good the numbers are that are being inputted. Garbage in garbage out is pretty close to how things were at IL with their ratings system. Sean Donnelly (IMG class of 19, committed to Syracuse) had one evaluation by IL, and he received an 84 rating, which is pretty good and had him among the top attackmen in the class. Maybe he had a good day that day. Maybe he is that good. Maybe the evaluator was brand new and gave everyone a high rating at the beginning. Without a number of evaluations, the number is pretty worthless.

IL has done more evaluations and their ratings system will only improve as they do even more, but we're not at the point yet where we can use these numbers to rank players.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

ohmilax34 wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:42 pm

At this point Xanders was off doing his own thing at Recruiting Rundown, but I can't find his list. He also liked to wait until much closer to the spring to release his list, probably so that it was more accurate than IL's.

Regarding the numbers and how they tell a story, I am also an accountant, and I know to figure out how good the numbers are that are being inputted. Garbage in garbage out is pretty close to how things were at IL with their ratings system. Sean Donnelly (IMG class of 19, committed to Syracuse) had one evaluation by IL, and he received an 84 rating, which is pretty good and had him among the top attackmen in the class. Maybe he had a good day that day. Maybe he is that good. Maybe the evaluator was brand new and gave everyone a high rating at the beginning. Without a number of evaluations, the number is pretty worthless.

IL has done more evaluations and their ratings system will only improve as they do even more, but we're not at the point yet where we can use these numbers to rank players.
Ohmilax, any advice from one accountant to another? i start at my firm next month in audit
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

houndace1 wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:06 pm

Ohmilax, any advice from one accountant to another? i start at my firm next month in audit
I'll PM you.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

The amazing thing is how many kids DON'T pan out that are on the list.
It just goes to show you there is no such thing as a sure thing when it comes to sports, player development and recruiting.
You never know if a kid will work hard, if they will suddenly "get it," or is a late bloomer.
I've seen a lot of blue chips think they are the bees knees and get ran past in college by no names. You just never know until the bullets start flying.
thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

Loyola's 2019 year in review from College Cross:

https://www.collegecrosse.com/2019/8/29 ... pencer-lax
I never knew no Godfather. I got my own family, Senator."
thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

GEPPI-AIKENS, TO BE INDUCTED INTO IWLCA HALL OF FAME:

https://www.uslaxmagazine.com/college/w ... ll-of-fame
thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

FYI...Beware of Golden Dike.

The Spanish National Team player that joined the Hounds will be taking the PL Hardwood by storm this fall/winter...

Reitz will be rockin’ as always!
thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

It’s common sense, really. The earlier you rank/recruit a player before college, the worse the result. Same with early recruiting. Having coached college lax for years and sat at hundreds of recruiting tournaments, you still never really know till the kid steps on campus and gets to actually compete at the college level. The more info you can get the better. Thank God early recruiting was banned. I’ve seen a million more late bloomers than sure things pan out. Especially true for Kids from outside the MIAA.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

thatsmell wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:11 am It’s common sense, really. The earlier you rank/recruit a player before college, the worse the result. Same with early recruiting. Having coached college lax for years and sat at hundreds of recruiting tournaments, you still never really know till the kid steps on campus and gets to actually compete at the college level. The more info you can get the better. Thank God early recruiting was banned. I’ve seen a million more late bloomers than sure things pan out. Especially true for Kids from outside the MIAA.

I'm not taking a gratuitous swipe at Hopkins, because this is a sober assessment. But if you look at that early ranking by IL, almost every 'major' recruit to Hop flamed out in D1, some spectacularly. Does Hopkins, both because of its proximity to the MIAA and also its heritage, tend to recruit the 'names' rather than the athletes? Towson mines te public school Maryland scene with great results; does Hopkins avoid that scene because it's a harder job, or do they simply not want that kind of kid?

As for us, we mine Ct publics somewhat well. The bottom line is IL rankings are overrated to some extent, plus we are going to win the D1 natty this year, and the day is still early! :lol:
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

thatsmell wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:02 pm FYI...Beware of Golden Dike.

The Spanish National Team player that joined the Hounds will be taking the PL Hardwood by storm this fall/winter...

Reitz will be rockin’ as always!
Thatsmell, the real kid you should look out for in Loyola basketball is Santi Aldama. He was recruited by major programs and is a legitimate NBA prospect per college scouts from seeing him play in Spain. The fact he came here shows that Tavares Hardy and his staff know how to mine international talent
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Where's Houndace1 when we need him!!!

The Hopkins posters are railing DocBarrister (what else is new... :lol: ) because he is adamant that Pietremela not only is the best D1 recruiting legend of the last two decades, but he's also a really excellent developer of talent once it arrives on the Homewood campus. I mean, those claims alone are worth 50 pages of comments in the off season, with some Hop fans glumly realistic (WOMBAT), while others like DocB seriously delusional!!

We need some more dissent here, I suppose, to increase page count. The problem is, we're a happy RAC lacrosse family and we support Coach T to the end, win lose or draw.

I hope the Hounds boys are doing sprints til they puke and stare at IL high school position rankings before they suit up against the blue bloods next February. Need some taste of the bitter in us to get the engines roaring.

DocB is costing us the page count lead.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Peter Brown wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:24 am
thatsmell wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:11 am It’s common sense, really. The earlier you rank/recruit a player before college, the worse the result. Same with early recruiting. Having coached college lax for years and sat at hundreds of recruiting tournaments, you still never really know till the kid steps on campus and gets to actually compete at the college level. The more info you can get the better. Thank God early recruiting was banned. I’ve seen a million more late bloomers than sure things pan out. Especially true for Kids from outside the MIAA.

I'm not taking a gratuitous swipe at Hopkins, because this is a sober assessment. But if you look at that early ranking by IL, almost every 'major' recruit to Hop flamed out in D1, some spectacularly. Does Hopkins, both because of its proximity to the MIAA and also its heritage, tend to recruit the 'names' rather than the athletes? Towson mines te public school Maryland scene with great results; does Hopkins avoid that scene because it's a harder job, or do they simply not want that kind of kid?

As for us, we mine Ct publics somewhat well. The bottom line is IL rankings are overrated to some extent, plus we are going to win the D1 natty this year, and the day is still early! :lol:
I thought we also get kids from non hot bed areas? Looking at our roster, a majority of the guys are from places like Jersey, Long Island, CT, Canada as the main hotbeds, but they have guys from Minnesota, California, Colorado. Maybe they play with a chip on their shoulder because they come from a place that's not recruited as much as the Northeast.
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Peter Brown wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:01 pm Where's Houndace1 when we need him!!!

The Hopkins posters are railing DocBarrister (what else is new... :lol: ) because he is adamant that Pietremela not only is the best D1 recruiting legend of the last two decades, but he's also a really excellent developer of talent once it arrives on the Homewood campus. I mean, those claims alone are worth 50 pages of comments in the off season, with some Hop fans glumly realistic (WOMBAT), while others like DocB seriously delusional!!

We need some more dissent here, I suppose, to increase page count. The problem is, we're a happy RAC lacrosse family and we support Coach T to the end, win lose or draw.

I hope the Hounds boys are doing sprints til they puke and stare at IL high school position rankings before they suit up against the blue bloods next February. Need some taste of the bitter in us to get the engines roaring.

Presenttt, well i know that in 2012 when the team was not ranked in the top 25 to start the season, the assistant coaches made the guys do sprints for every team that was ranked ahead of them
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

houndace1 wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:10 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:24 am

I thought we also get kids from non hot bed areas? Looking at our roster, a majority of the guys are from places like Jersey, Long Island, CT, Canada as the main hotbeds, but they have guys from Minnesota, California, Colorado. Maybe they play with a chip on their shoulder because they come from a place that's not recruited as much as the Northeast.
The kids from the MIAA, DC etc. enter college with a much more solid floor.

But the kids from non traditional areas generally have a much higher ceiling as they haven't been coached as well, and are often new (er) to the sport of lacrosse than kids form the hotbeds. Additionally, those kids who are new(er) to the sport have spent many years playing other sports, which helps tremendously with your lacrosse development.
thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

houndace1 wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:11 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:01 pm Where's Houndace1 when we need him!!!

Presenttt, well i know that in 2012 when the team was not ranked in the top 25 to start the season, the assistant coaches made the guys do sprints for every team that was ranked ahead of them
https://www.baltimoremagazine.com/2013/ ... ampionship
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Liam Bateman going to get more PT this season.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
NovaHound

Post by NovaHound »

Ok - I'll give it the old college try...

Great article - was fun to read the recap on 2012. It's been too long since the last Title. I love watching teams play fast and nothing gets a team and fans more fired up than seeing a goal made by a long pole in transition. Ratliff was good at it in 2012. Get a stop. Find the outlet man. Fast Break down the field. Shoot. Score. Grab some momentum. Some of the Poles for the Hounds have cannons and are accurate. Just give them a chance. They work hard for it. (Note: And it seems to work well for UVA. Just putting that out there.) I'm agreeing with PB that this Hound defense is going to be a strength if they remain healthy. A Basketball Coach I once knew made sure his guards fed the big man (Center) inside. Why? The Big Man does the dirty work and gets the rebound for you. You got to feed the Big man. So I think we'll see more transition scoring this year. LSM McNuulty is going to have a big year.

Speaking about the rest of the Defense. I want to see the Hound SSDMs become a strength and I've got a lot of confidence in them. They have experience and athleticism. Some of the miscues and penalties could be atrributed to youth last year. For some reason, not sure why, I believe the SSDM is the most undervalued yet important position on the field. SSDMs don't get the respect they deserve from many casual fans because they don't throw up gaudy offensive or defensive numbers. But just make the slightest mistake and BAM - GOAL. (Just a side note... if you have a true stud Middie like Conrad from UVA you're in luck. He did have impressive offensive and defensive stats - something like 50 points and 80 GBs.) That's crazy. I'll be ecstatic if our Middies can produce half of that per player. Yeah - good numbers to strive for.

Hope this gets our page count up. :lol: I've got a few more thoughts :idea: too if needed.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”