Loyola University Lacrosse 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
stupefied

Re: Loyola University Lacrosse 2020

Post by stupefied »

admin wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:56 am
stupefied wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:42 am2014 class didn't work out for Syracuse either outside Mellen but some good players came out of that list. Rerank top ten?

Spencer#26
Conrad #1
Ament #24
Bucaro #3
Mathias #28
Van Rapphorst #18
Smith #19
Baretto # 31
Mellen #9
Rowlett #11
2019 AAs: http://fanlax.com/fanlax/wp-content/upl ... -AA_D1.pdf
Thanks Admin, 14 class yielded some top talent.

PB, JHU hit gold with Epstein in 18 class , he certainly lived up to his IL billing as #1 recruit. The frosh years of Epstein and Brandau of Yale were almost as impressive as Spencer 1st year . Lindley vg but JHU will have the best player in immediate neighborhood and some of his future highlights will be seen on Loyola's new gorgeous video board . Good luck dealing.

As far as 18'. frosh Scanlan greatly exceeded expectations for Hounds (hopefully doesn't recede much for Cuse without PS ) and Wyers had a year very comparable to Saustad . Be interesting to see how Pridemore does stepping in. .

Im going to make an effort to catch 2020 Loyola-JHU game but agree with houndace1 that it's 50-50 after the grads
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

“What a colossal waste of superb talent by the decaying institution just a few blocks south of us. “

PB if I were you I would restrict my infantile rants to the lax field rather than venturing into the institutions.
Last edited by OCanada on Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

:lol:

Like they say on the Salisbury thread- "If you want to talk academics and 'institutions,' that means we just kicked your ass on the lax field."

But given their AMAZING lax history, and ton of attention/money received due to their internationally recognized namesake hospital, the lax program at Hopkins is clearly decaying. It's heading the way of Hobart lacrosse.

It's apparent that talent there is either: A) poorly evaluated and overrated coming in or B) undercoached/underperforming once they get there.

Which is it?
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

stupefied wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:47 am
admin wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:56 am
stupefied wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:42 am2014 class didn't work out for Syracuse either outside Mellen but some good players came out of that list. Rerank top ten?

Spencer#26
Conrad #1
Ament #24
Bucaro #3
Mathias #28
Van Rapphorst #18
Smith #19
Baretto # 31
Mellen #9
Rowlett #11
2019 AAs: http://fanlax.com/fanlax/wp-content/upl ... -AA_D1.pdf
Thanks Admin, 14 class yielded some top talent.

PB, JHU hit gold with Epstein in 18 class , he certainly lived up to his IL billing as #1 recruit. The frosh years of Epstein and Brandau of Yale were almost as impressive as Spencer 1st year . Lindley vg but JHU will have the best player in immediate neighborhood and some of his future highlights will be seen on Loyola's new gorgeous video board . Good luck dealing.

As far as 18'. frosh Scanlan greatly exceeded expectations for Hounds (hopefully doesn't recede much for Cuse without PS ) and Wyers had a year very comparable to Saustad . Be interesting to see how Pridemore does stepping in. .

Im going to make an effort to catch 2020 Loyola-JHU game but agree with houndace1 that it's 50-50 after the grads
wouldnt spencer and the others be considered the 15 class while stanwick/tinney/fraser be the 14? Anyway thank you for the nice write up between two schools.

Epstein will be a problem to deal with for the next 3 years, as well as Zinn who has jets for legs if he gets solid production in the midfield line.

The way i see it in comparing the two schools with their units

Attack- this goes to hopkins solely because of Epstein, Cole Williams and whoever the last slot will go to
Midfield- Hopkins edges out our midfield slightly. Zinn, Concannon, Desimone as the 1st midfield will outrun our line of Devereaux, Cox, Swindell.
SSDMs- Here goes to Loyola with several starters returning to a decent line from last year. Hopkins SSDM's unfortunately get run off the field by bigger, stronger guys.
FO's- This is a toss up. Hopkins has two good FOGO's, Loyola only has one proven guy in Bailey Savio, but the additions of Cottone and Pacheco might help.
LSM's- Loyola all the way with McNulty, Shires, Middleton, Hughes
Defense- Again loyola as 5 of 6 starters last year were all relatively new. They had a year to learn the system
Goalie- Biggest question marks for both teams
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

Peter Brown wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:47 pm For a change of pace, and a great example why Loyola is pulling away from the neighborhood pack, take a gander at these Fall camps at Loyola!

http://www.greyhoundlaxcamps.com/events

All sophomores and juniors welcome. October 13th young men...tell Mom and Dad to cough up the $150 and visit the best campus and stadium in Baltimore City, while playing alongside some great college players!! Let's do this!
PB--Seriously? Is this sarcasm? Try and find a half way good program that does not do this.

And of course there is always the allure of Baltimore City:

Baltimore Crime Data

Crime Index : 1
(100 is safest)
Safer than 1% of U.S. Cities
Baltimore Annual Crimes
Violent 12,492
Property 30,661
Total 43,153
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Dip&Dunk wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:56 am
Peter Brown wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:47 pm For a change of pace, and a great example why Loyola is pulling away from the neighborhood pack, take a gander at these Fall camps at Loyola!

http://www.greyhoundlaxcamps.com/events

All sophomores and juniors welcome. October 13th young men...tell Mom and Dad to cough up the $150 and visit the best campus and stadium in Baltimore City, while playing alongside some great college players!! Let's do this!
PB--Seriously? Is this sarcasm? Try and find a half way good program that does not do this.

And of course there is always the allure of Baltimore City:

Baltimore Crime Data

Crime Index : 1
(100 is safest)
Safer than 1% of U.S. Cities
Baltimore Annual Crimes
Violent 12,492
Property 30,661
Total 43,153

Most of these statistical horrors are committed close to the Homewood Campus. ;)
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

houndace1 wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:30 am
Epstein will be a problem to deal with for the next 3 years, as well as Zinn who has jets for legs if he gets solid production in the midfield line.

Zinn might see a few minutes until his senior year, then he'll be inserted into the toughest game as a starter against the toughest opponent in the worst weather. Petro will scream at him on the sidelines after a dropped pass, at which point he'll be a shell of his natural talent self. He'd be better off transferring to the Hounds today; we'll get him the minutes he deserves. All our talent improves. It's what college lacrosse should be. Let's roll!!!!

Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

stupefied wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:42 am
Peter Brown wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:59 am
admin wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:32 am #26 - Pat Spencer. https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... ings/29707

:cry:

Embarrassing. The very definition of why we can not trust the media.

A side note to this calamity of talent prognosis is I spy Hopkins with FIVE (5!!) players in the top 50, almost none of whom were ever heard from again. What a colossal waste of superb talent by the decaying institution just a few blocks south of us. Henry Grass should have attended Loyola...he'd have made AA something at least. Instead, he and Sells and many more unwisely chose to go to where talent dies and the average age of the fan is 87. :lol:
2014 class didn't work out for Syracuse either outside Mellen but some good players came out of that list. Rerank top ten?

Spencer#26
Conrad #1
Ament #24
Bucaro #3
Mathias #28
Van Rapphorst #18
Smith #19
Baretto # 31
Mellen #9
Rowlett #11

Where is JACOB STOVER!!!!! Why is IL biased against my team?!!??

I can't wait to win D1 Natty this year.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Peter Brown wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:15 pm

Zinn might see a few minutes until his senior year, then he'll be inserted into the toughest game as a starter against the toughest opponent in the worst weather. Petro will scream at him on the sidelines after a dropped pass, at which point he'll be a shell of his natural talent self. He'd be better off transferring to the Hounds today; we'll get him the minutes he deserves. All our talent improves. It's what college lacrosse should be. Let's roll!!!!

i get it you're the optimist but i really really do not see how the team will get better as a whole when the sum of its parts is missing KEY cogs to even function properly. Lost our primary dodger, ball carrier, feeder in spencer. Lost our best goalie. Lost two scoring midfielders in Scanlan and Duffy. Lost a reliable two way guy in Mcgovern who could also score. Our 2nd midfield line from 2019 consists of Deveraux, Cox and Wigley even though he got first line minutes.

for you to say we're going to win the PL and run the Natty is optimism beyond belief. Who in the world do we have waiting in the bench, or as recruits that can replace the production the 2019 team had? Programs can't always be great, a ton of programs have rebuilding seasons only to start experiencing success again. I really do predict a possible 9-5 regular season record next year.
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

houndace1 wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:24 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:15 pm

i get it you're the optimist but i really really do not see how the team will get better as a whole when the sum of its parts is missing KEY cogs to even function properly. Lost our primary dodger, ball carrier, feeder in spencer. Lost our best goalie. Lost two scoring midfielders in Scanlan and Duffy. Lost a reliable two way guy in Mcgovern who could also score. Our 2nd midfield line from 2019 consists of Deveraux, Cox and Wigley even though he got first line minutes.

for you to say we're going to win the PL and run the Natty is optimism beyond belief. Who in the world do we have waiting in the bench, or as recruits that can replace the production the 2019 team had? Programs can't always be great, a ton of programs have rebuilding seasons only to start experiencing success again. I really do predict a possible 9-5 regular season record next year.

Caesar said, It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience. (Loyola are the latter, Hopkins the former). Caesar was referring of course to the very first lacrosse practice of the season in 75 B.C..

Trust the process young Houndace1, trust the process. Coach T has never been so pumped. Let's roll!!!
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Kraft. It’s not binary. It’s nether. It is certainly true that Hopkins has not had the athletes to win the title recently. It’s all about having the horses. LC has had a good run thx in part to PS who I thought, before he played a game, would be an elite player. Now Scanlon was made by PS but the other two attackers will be better without him.

Petro helped establish the LC program, restored Cornell and won more titles at Hopkins than Loyola has won in its history I believe. Desko and Petro didn’t forget how to coach. The issue lies on the input side of the equation. They have not had the horses to win it.

You mentioned the Hospital. You neglected the Applied Physics Lab. School of Advanced International Studies, Hubble Space Telescope, Engineering School, biggest private employer in Maryland, biggest real estate company, School of Public Health, foreign campuses, Nursing School etc etc.

The sport has changed and with it the location of where the advantages lie. It will change again. The Ivies have been making the ground shift the last few years for example.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

OCanada wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:55 pm Kraft. It’s not binary. It’s nether. It is certainly true that Hopkins has not had the athletes to win the title recently. It’s all about having the horses. LC has had a good run thx in part to PS who I thought, before he played a game, would be an elite player. Now Scanlon was made by PS but the other two attackers will be better without him.

Petro helped establish the LC program, restored Cornell and won more titles at Hopkins than Loyola has won in its history I believe. Desko and Petro didn’t forget how to coach. The issue lies on the input side of the equation. They have not had the horses to win it.

You mentioned the Hospital. You neglected the Applied Physics Lab. School of Advanced International Studies, Hubble Space Telescope, Engineering School, biggest private employer in Maryland, biggest real estate company, School of Public Health, foreign campuses, Nursing School etc etc.

The sport has changed and with it the location of where the advantages lie. It will change again. The Ivies have been making the ground shift the last few years for example.
The input has certainly been lacking at JHU. Why is that?

Because the most storied program in the history of the sport, with such a prestegious school with a world-renowned hospital, the Applied Physics Lab. School of Advanced International Studies, Hubble Space Telescope, Engineering School, biggest private employer in Maryland, biggest real estate company, School of Public Health, foreign campuses, Nursing School etc etc. has undoubtedly had pick of the prep lax litter.

I'm sure Petro still knows how to coach. But perhaps Petro really isn't coaching the right things. Or perhaps he isn't as good at seeing how the game has evolved? Or perhaps, his recruiting message has grown stale?

Starsia, Cottle and other HOF guys looked outside of the college coaching profession when their time was up. I think Petro may have take the same route when the Hopkins faithful finally pull the plug on him. I just don't see Petro being tasked to grow a mid major like Tierney.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Why has the input been lacking? You might want to ask the same thing about Cuse.

I could go through the chronology but that’s already been done. Factors outside the control of the particular program account for a huge part of it.

Lacrosse has not been standing still. It has been evolving in terms of its player composition, finances, rules etc all those changes cumulatively have an effect.

It isn’t age if coaches. Danowski is how old? He was on the verge of being let go before the Duke situation opened up? One major reason was he couldn’t keep LI players home. Kids mostly want to go away if they can. So he gets Duke and voila suddenly he can coach? No, he could always coach. Tierney has had the same problem. It’s mostky behind their ability to control. Plus he has Coach K to close deals. His son was probably going to Hopkins until he spent over an hour with K. He was a gun rat.

Tierney dominated for awhile. Then he didn’t. The reason? Not that he forgot how to coach. One reason is he lost the individual who could get the players he really wanted admitted and because the rest of the lax world began to develop strategies to overcome the perceived advantage of PU. He was not happy about it and eventually moved to Denver where his talent pool is greater.

The professional risk is it’s always the coaches fault because fans generally don’t understand the dynamics at play and it’s the easy answer.

It’s as predictable as families whose kid commits and atrocious crime saying not my kid. He is a good kid. Mostky they are wrong. Or a lax program having a major pr disaster whode fans and players circle the wagons to deny s y possibility their program had an issue. Like omertà. They know better but..., sometimes they are right mostly they are covering up. Predictable.
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

I blame the band.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Dip&Dunk wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:44 am I blame the band.

I agree. There can not be a more annoying and brain-dead song in the universe as the Jay's '1-2-3-4 we want more'....ugh. ESPECIALLY FOR A TEAM WHICH LOSES SO MUCH!!

What a tune wedgie.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

OCanada wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:51 am Why has the input been lacking? You might want to ask the same thing about Cuse.

I could go through the chronology but that’s already been done. Factors outside the control of the particular program account for a huge part of it.

Lacrosse has not been standing still. It has been evolving in terms of its player composition, finances, rules etc all those changes cumulatively have an effect.

It isn’t age if coaches. Danowski is how old? He was on the verge of being let go before the Duke situation opened up? One major reason was he couldn’t keep LI players home. Kids mostly want to go away if they can. So he gets Duke and voila suddenly he can coach? No, he could always coach. Tierney has had the same problem. It’s mostky behind their ability to control. Plus he has Coach K to close deals. His son was probably going to Hopkins until he spent over an hour with K. He was a gun rat.

Tierney dominated for awhile. Then he didn’t. The reason? Not that he forgot how to coach. One reason is he lost the individual who could get the players he really wanted admitted and because the rest of the lax world began to develop strategies to overcome the perceived advantage of PU. He was not happy about it and eventually moved to Denver where his talent pool is greater.

The professional risk is it’s always the coaches fault because fans generally don’t understand the dynamics at play and it’s the easy answer.

It’s as predictable as families whose kid commits and atrocious crime saying not my kid. He is a good kid. Mostly they are wrong. Or a lax program having a major pr disaster whose fans and players circle the wagons to deny s y possibility their program had an issue. Like omertà. They know better but..., sometimes they are right mostly they are covering up. Predictable.

1. Danowski is actually beloved by his players and the player's parents. Petro, ummm...not so much.

2. Coach K is a rat-faced ingrate who gets hoops players because he's in cahoots with Nike and payoffs (if you think Zion chose Duke because of the education, I have a bridge in Brooklyn for ya!); also, if you attend Duke to play lacrosse because of one meeting with Coach K, good luck in life.

3. The Gang of 88 still teaches at Duke, secure in their undeserved tenure, unburdened by even a sliver of guilt for trying to incarcerate 3 innocent kids to 20+ years hard time for crimes they never committed; the same Gang of professors is extraordinarily hostile to every lacrosse player who shows up in a Duke classroom.

Ipso facto, Danowski has hurdles other coaches will never see. As a lacrosse player, one goes to Hop to die not flourish. Awful program. Awful band music. No coeds.

I want to beat Hop this year by 10.

Lenwood117

Post by Lenwood117 »

Peter Brown wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:38 am
OCanada wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:51 am Why has the input been lacking? You might want to ask the same thing about Cuse.

It’s as predictable as families whose kid commits and atrocious crime saying not my kid. He is a good kid. Mostly they are wrong. Or a lax program having a major pr disaster whose fans and players circle the wagons to deny s y possibility their program had an issue. Like omertà. They know better but..., sometimes they are right mostly they are covering up. Predictable.

1. Danowski is actually beloved by his players and the player's parents. Petro, ummm...not so much.

2. Coach K is a rat-faced ingrate who gets hoops players because he's in cahoots with Nike and payoffs (if you think Zion chose Duke because of the education, I have a bridge in Brooklyn for ya!); also, if you attend Duke to play lacrosse because of one meeting with Coach K, good luck in life.

3. The Gang of 88 still teaches at Duke, secure in their undeserved tenure, unburdened by even a sliver of guilt for trying to incarcerate 3 innocent kids to 20+ years hard time for crimes they never committed; the same Gang of professors is extraordinarily hostile to every lacrosse player who shows up in a Duke classroom.

Ipso facto, Danowski has hurdles other coaches will never see. As a lacrosse player, one goes to Hop to die not flourish. Awful program. Awful band music. No coeds.

I believe Honor, Duty, Country will always be in coach K character. you would last one hour at West Point.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Peter Brown wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:38 am

Jesus lord, how many shots do you need to take against schools that Loyola plays? who cares if a college doesn't have attractive coeds. it's one piece of an extraordinary blank puzzle that college students want to create for their own individual lives.

All these low ball shots are very sour tasting to read. Take shots at a rival program? okay that's fine to an extent. Taking shots at an institution as a whole with ridiculous claims that have yet to be proven? Disdainful in my book
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

houndace1 wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:15 am
Jesus lord, how many shots do you need to take against schools that Loyola plays? who cares if a college doesn't have attractive coeds. it's one piece of an extraordinary blank puzzle that college students want to create for their own individual lives.

All these low ball shots are very sour tasting to read. Take shots at a rival program? okay that's fine to an extent. Taking shots at an institution as a whole with ridiculous claims that have yet to be proven? Disdainful in my book
He's a deeply insecure troll. The nonstop rantings are done specifically to get a rise out of people. I would just try to ignore it. I appreciate your good-faith efforts to actually discuss the sport of lacrosse in a human matter. You're a much better representative of Loyola than he.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

houndace1 wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:15 am Jesus lord, how many shots do you need to take against schools that Loyola plays? who cares if a college doesn't have attractive coeds. it's one piece of an extraordinary blank puzzle that college students want to create for their own individual lives.

I see you don't deny the coed snark. ;)

Houndace1: my posts are uttered in almost 100% humour (except hating on Coach K, that I stand by), but shhhhh, don't tell the Blue Jay faithful who take the jibes so seriously. We're almost up to their page count! The tides are turning in Bmore.

And, I still want to beat them by 10 this season. Just sayin'.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”