The Nation's Financial Condition

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
CU88

Re: The Nation's Financial Condition

Post by CU88 »

“What do you call two farmers in a basement?” Mr. Perdue asked near the end of a testy hourlong town-hall-style event. “A whine cellar.”

Or welfare kings
by cradleandshoot » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:57 am
Mr moderator, deactivate my account.
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
This is cradle and shoot signing out.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:51 pm
HooDat wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:34 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:13 pm Making products at a lower cost is not 'dumping', it's capitalism. Now, there IS such a thing as "dumping" and it's illegal in international trade, and I'm all for international enforcement, but 99.9+% of all Chinese trade is not 'dumped'. It's made less expensively.
lots of good points in what you say in the broader post that I clipped this from, but the problem comes in what constitutes dumping. There are advantages to trade (obviously) but the question is who receives those advantages. Capital holders first and foremost benefit from the dramatically reduced cost of labor you get from China or developing countries. Often those workers are technically paid something resembling a wage in a currency (as my 20-yr old likes to say). The ugly truth is that the "compensation" those workers receive is less than the cost of owning slaves would be in the US and their living conditions may or may not be a whole lot better.

So, is it competition or is it dumping when the labor laws of another country are such that you would go to jail in the US for half the employment practices in those countries?

It’s competition. We send the crappy jobs abroad and focus on the more value add here. When China’s standard of living improves and the society “advances” the jobs will be shipped to somewhere else. Remember when Japan was China?
TLD - it is not FAIR competition, because those countries don't play by the same rules. Those jobs are "crappy" because those countries LET them be crappy. In the US those jobs would be far less crappy, and your cheap plastic crap would be more expensive. So maybe we would buy less cheap plastic crap.

The jobs get shipped somewhere else, because the corporations are seeking workers they can exploit. Plain and simple.

and our lower functioning citizens pay the price.
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

HooDat wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:47 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:13 pm Making products at a lower cost is not 'dumping', it's capitalism. Now, there IS such a thing as "dumping" and it's illegal in international trade, and I'm all for international enforcement, but 99.9+% of all Chinese trade is not 'dumped'. It's made less expensively.
lots of good points in what you say in the broader post that I clipped this from, but the problem comes in what constitutes dumping. There are advantages to trade (obviously) but the question is who receives those advantages. Capital holders first and foremost benefit from the dramatically reduced cost of labor you get from China or developing countries. Often those workers are technically paid something resembling a wage in a currency (as my 20-yr old likes to say). The ugly truth is that the "compensation" those workers receive is less than the cost of owning slaves would be in the US and their living conditions may or may not be a whole lot better.

So, is it competition or is it dumping when the labor laws of another country are such that you would go to jail in the US for half the employment practices in those countries?

It’s competition. We send the crappy jobs abroad and focus on the more value add here. When China’s standard of living improves and the society “advances” the jobs will be shipped to somewhere else. Remember when Japan was China?
TLD - it is not FAIR competition, because those countries don't play by the same rules. Those jobs are "crappy" because those countries LET them be crappy. In the US those jobs would be far less crappy, and your cheap plastic dump would be more expensive. So maybe we would buy less cheap plastic dump.

The jobs get shipped somewhere else, because the corporations are seeking workers they can exploit. Plain and simple.

Not sure I mentioned anything to the contrary. We had unions in this country for a reason. After the Air Traffic controllers were S*canned it was open season on labor..... break the unions and then send the jobs overseas anyway to exploit labor even more..... But hey those that are able to take advantage of investing, have seen their 401k benefit. People are suprised to hear that a good segment of the country that gets up and goes to work each day are not in a position to put money away and retrieve it in 30 years..... I was given a hard time in business school about the USA being disadvantaged by an uneven playing field. You would have thought I had two heads... long time ago. Our politicians and corporate leaders decided on that path. Now it is China and Mexico's fault. They are "taking advantage" of the USA....
“I wish you would!”
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

CU88 wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:54 am “What do you call two farmers in a basement?” Mr. Perdue asked near the end of a testy hourlong town-hall-style event. “A whine cellar.”

Or welfare kings
Have you ever had a conversation with a dairy farmer? There is the life of Riley for you. 16 hour days, 24/7/365 there ain't no vacation or days off there. Those girls gotta be milked every damn day. So why are you hating on the farmers? If you are a dairy farmer the gubmint decides how much you can get for your milk. Maybe all those farmers should just say eff it and wait for the Dems to give them their 1000 dollars a month for sitting on their arse and doing nothing. I just have to laugh at you condescending lily white candy arse FLP folks who hate the folks working their arse off every day and struggling to make ends meet but you all will have a case of premature ejaculation falling in love with giving folks 1000 a month just because they are entitled to it. Some of you folks prove this simple fact to me here every dog gone day... FLP extremism clearly is a mental disorder... :roll:
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
old salt

Post by old salt »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:30 am Old Salt,

I am going to apologize for that last post. Traveling all day yesterday and was just in an off mood. I also should have just let your "just move the jobs to the Northern Triangle" comment go. I was too testy and should not have "dumped the shooter".
No sweat. My skin's all wrinkled from all that time in the bath tub. Safe travels.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:54 am

TLD - it is not FAIR competition, because those countries don't play by the same rules. Those jobs are "crappy" because those countries LET them be crappy. In the US those jobs would be far less crappy, and your cheap plastic dump would be more expensive. So maybe we would buy less cheap plastic dump.

Not sure I mentioned anything to the contrary. We had unions in this country for a reason. After the Air Traffic controllers were S*canned it was open season on labor..... break the unions and then send the jobs overseas anyway to exploit labor even more..... But hey those that are able to take advantage of investing, have seen their 401k benefit. People are suprised to hear that a good segment of the country that gets up and goes to work each day are not in a position to put money away and retrieve it in 30 years..... I was given a hard time in business school about the USA being disadvantaged by an uneven playing field. You would have thought I had two heads... long time ago. Our politicians and corporate leaders decided on that path. Now it is China and Mexico's fault. They are "taking advantage" of the USA....
The air traffic controllers had a very clear clause in their contract that said they were not allowed to strike. The reason should be freaking obvious to any person with a tiny amount of smarts. They were given a lawful order to go back to their jobs or they would be fired. They took a gamble and they lost. They were willing to put themselves above the people they were suppose to protect. They made their decision and they got what they deserved. Did it suck? yes it did, that is what happens when you work for the gubmint. You play by their rules or else. When I was in the army if we had decided to strike they would not have fired us... they would have thrown us all in jail... very quickly at that.
Bob Ross:
Typical Lax Dad

cradleandshoot wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:38 pm

The air traffic controllers had a very clear clause in their contract that said they were not allowed to strike. The reason should be freaking obvious to any person with a tiny amount of smarts. They were given a lawful order to go back to their jobs or they would be fired. They took a gamble and they lost. They were willing to put themselves above the people they were suppose to protect. They made their decision and they got what they deserved. Did it suck? yes it did, that is what happens when you work for the gubmint. You play by their rules or else. When I was in the army if we had decided to strike they would not have fired us... they would have thrown us all in jail... very quickly at that.
Where did I say they did not get what they deserved? What I said is that is was the beginning of the war on labor. You have another inflection point that you have identified. I will be happy to read it. It is conceivable that I can learn something.
“I wish you would!”
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:44 pm

Where did I say they did not get what they deserved? What I said is that is was the beginning of the war on labor. You have another inflection point that you have identified. I will be happy to read it. It is conceivable that I can learn something.
Your comparing apples to oranges. The air traffic controllers knew they couldn't strike. That is not the case with most non government bargaining units. I was a member of the Teamsters for 5 years. The dance around negotiating a new contract was very simple. The company offered diddly squat and the Union begged for fiddy cents. Since the Union folks would not authorize a strike I think we settled for like 10 cents an hour. I don't know where the death blow began for organized labor. I think it began long before the air traffic controllers went on strike. It had nothing to do with the workers, from my own experience it had more to do with the leadership of various unions who got their share and then slithered off into the dark of night when there was no money left for them.
Bob Ross:
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

cradleandshoot wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:58 pm It had nothing to do with the workers, from my own experience it had more to do with the leadership of various unions who got their share and then slithered off into the dark of night when there was no money left for them.
yep - they got co-opted when they got into politics.
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
Typical Lax Dad

HooDat wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:04 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:58 pm It had nothing to do with the workers, from my own experience it had more to do with the leadership of various unions who got their share and then slithered off into the dark of night when there was no money left for them.
Have you seen the new documentary produced by Obama’s production company on Netflix? I plan on watching it. That plant is a good example of what has happened in this country. You should watch the Frontline program on Dayton, Ohio which is where the recent mass shooting took place. Good overview.
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

cradleandshoot wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:58 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:44 pm

Your comparing apples to oranges. The air traffic controllers knew they couldn't strike. That is not the case with most non government bargaining units. I was a member of the Teamsters for 5 years. The dance around negotiating a new contract was very simple. The company offered diddly squat and the Union begged for fiddy cents. Since the Union folks would not authorize a strike I think we settled for like 10 cents an hour. I don't know where the death blow began for organized labor. I think it began long before the air traffic controllers went on strike. It had nothing to do with the workers, from my own experience it had more to do with the leadership of various unions who got their share and then slithered off into the dark of night when there was no money left for them.

Again, I am not talking about whether Reagan had a right to fire the workers. My point was that it was a line in the sand for private sector labor relations. Just how it evolved.....Not some plan Reagan had but the genie was out of the bottle. Let me know how these articles are "incorrect".
Also, let me know if you want me to read about a different inflection point. I don't know it all and will be happy to learn something today.

Some old news:

https://www.fool.com/investing/general/ ... labor.aspx

https://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/03/opin ... nions.html

https://truthout.org/video/the-conseque ... rs-strike/
“I wish you would!”
CU88

Post by CU88 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:29 pm
CU88 wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:54 am “What do you call two farmers in a basement?” Mr. Perdue asked near the end of a testy hourlong town-hall-style event. “A whine cellar.”

Or welfare kings
Have you ever had a conversation with a dairy farmer? There is the life of Riley for you. 16 hour days, 24/7/365 there ain't no vacation or days off there. Those girls gotta be milked every damn day. So why are you hating on the farmers? If you are a dairy farmer the gubmint decides how much you can get for your milk. Maybe all those farmers should just say eff it and wait for the Dems to give them their 1000 dollars a month for sitting on their arse and doing nothing. I just have to laugh at you condescending lily white candy arse FLP folks who hate the folks working their arse off every day and struggling to make ends meet but you all will have a case of premature ejaculation falling in love with giving folks 1000 a month just because they are entitled to it. Some of you folks prove this simple fact to me here every dog gone day... FLP extremism clearly is a mental disorder... :roll:
Ha, your rant should be aimed at o d not me!

TRUMP'S SECRETARY OF AGRICULTURE TELLS JOKE ABOUT WHINING FARMERS

https://www.newsweek.com/agriculture-se ... ke-1453914

But I expect now that you know it is from your heros guy; you will agree with him fully!

DEPLORABLE
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

CU88 wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:17 pm

Or welfare kings

But I expect now that you know it is from your heros guy; you will agree with him fully!

DEPLORABLE
It is not a rant... it was a very simple question. Have you ever had a long chit chat with a dairy farmer? Back in 1996 I rented a house from a dairy farmer whose cows lived in the back yard just beyond the fence. He was at work long before I left at 7am and he was still milking cows in the barn at 8pm. If you are going to take the typical FLP hate mongering attitude about Americas farmers you should at least take a moment to actually talk to an American farmer. What is deplorable is the ignorance and stupidity that you put center stage. You would not last a half a day on a dairy farm... have you ever smelled the wonderful odor of fermented corn? Have you ever walked into a barn and actually watched a farmer milk 100 cows. This has nothing to do with Trump NUMBNUTS.
Bob Ross:
CU88

Post by CU88 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:46 pm

Or welfare kings

DEPLORABLE
This has nothing to do with Trump NUMBNUTS.
So you are now the one calling farmers stupid?

Iowa corn farmers to Trump: The government put us in 'one hell of a bad situation'

https://thehill.com/homenews/administra ... l-of-a-bad
Typical Lax Dad

Or welfare kings

DEPLORABLE
It is not a rant... it was a very simple question. Have you ever had a long chit chat with a dairy farmer? Back in 1996 I rented a house from a dairy farmer whose cows lived in the back yard just beyond the fence. He was at work long before I left at 7am and he was still milking cows in the barn at 8pm. If you are going to take the typical FLP hate mongering attitude about Americas farmers you should at least take a moment to actually talk to an American farmer. What is deplorable is the ignorance and stupidity that you put center stage. You would not last a half a day on a dairy farm... have you ever smelled the wonderful odor of fermented corn? Have you ever walked into a barn and actually watched a farmer milk 100 cows. This has nothing to do with Trump NUMBNUTS.
I have heard so many Grapes of Wrath stories about your family that I thought you were against folks taking a hand out?
“I wish you would!”
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

CU88 wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:56 pm

Or welfare kings

DEPLORABLE

Iowa corn farmers to Trump: The government put us in 'one hell of a bad situation'

I promised MD I would refrain from using this term but are you freaking brain damaged or what? I am talking about DECADES of hardships our nations farmers have been dealing with. If you would pull your head out of your arse you might welcome the smell of the fresh air. You remind me of why Archie Bunker called his son in law meathead... dead from the neck up... :roll:
Bob Ross:
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:56 pm

Or welfare kings

DEPLORABLE
I have heard so many Grapes of Wrath stories about your family that I thought you were against folks taking a hand out?
I like the John Steinbeck comparison. I lived on Tummonds Rd in the town of Ontario NY from 1995/96 Larry the owner of the farm never asked for or wanted jack squat from anybody. I don't even know if he is alive today. I know the man worked more hours in a day than you or I do and he did not get vacations or days off and never complained about it. He didn't drive a BMW or a Mercedes but he drove an old beat up Ford pickup truck. I do remember when the tanker truck came to pick up his milk and his primary gripe was how much the gubmint told him he could sell it for. If he was being paid by the hour he sure as hell never earned a living wage. Go expand your horizons and visit a dairy farm and have a chat with the farmer. They will be glad to tell you all about the business. Maybe you should have your own grapes of wrath experience in your life. To be honest my favorite Steinbeck story was Of Mice and Men.
Bob Ross:
CU88

Post by CU88 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:01 pm
CU88 wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:56 pm

Or welfare kings

DEPLORABLE

I promised MD I would refrain from using this term but are you freaking brain damaged or what? I am talking about DECADES of hardships our nations farmers have been dealing with. If you would pull your head out of your arse you might welcome the smell of the fresh air. You remind me of why Archie Bunker called his son in law meathead... dead from the neck up... :roll:
You said "This has nothing to do with Trump"; and you are wrong.
Typical Lax Dad

cradleandshoot wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:11 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:56 pm

Or welfare kings

DEPLORABLE
I like the John Steinbeck comparison. I lived on Tummonds Rd in the town of Ontario NY from 1995/96 Larry the owner of the farm never asked for or wanted jack squat from anybody. I don't even know if he is alive today. I know the man worked more hours in a day than you or I do and he did not get vacations or days off and never complained about it. He didn't drive a BMW or a Mercedes but he drove an old beat up Ford pickup truck. I do remember when the tanker truck came to pick up his milk and his primary gripe was how much the gubmint told him he could sell it for. If he was being paid by the hour he sure as hell never earned a living wage. Go expand your horizons and visit a dairy farm and have a chat with the farmer. They will be glad to tell you all about the business. Maybe you should have your own grapes of wrath experience in your life. To be honest my favorite Steinbeck story was Of Mice and Men.
This is what I know for certain..... based on your hard scrabble grandparents..... mine would have thought they were rich! So you are against the farmers taking handouts from Trump? yes or no?
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

HooDat wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:04 pm
This is the documentary that I saw on Frontline.

Corporate America sold these people down the river.......after the Unions were crushed, this is what was left in its wake.... Guess who brought some jobs back for these people...... Chinese. SMH
“I wish you would!”

Return to “POLITICS”