Who is supporting the immigrant caravan?

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
old salt

Re: Who is supporting the immigrant caravan?

Post by old salt »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:44 pm
old salt wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:27 pm
a fan wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:49 pm If this doesn't tell you that Trump isn't the least bit serious about fixing immigration, nothing will....

Indictments of workers mount after the Mississippi immigration raids, but no employers have been charged

Meet the new boss....

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/21/us/missi ... index.html
OK Mr Instant Gratification.
The CNN article you posted explains why it is so difficult, & takes so long, to make these cases against the employers.
Prosecutors have to prove that the employers knowingly hired workers with fake id. One of the employers was even using E-verify.
How do you expect them to bring charges before they build a case based on evidence secured in the raid ?
That's what made the case that Ratcliffe lead against Pilgrim Poultry in 2007 so significant.
It took 2 years, but his office finally secured a non-pros agreement after he left office.
So, we raid a business, lock up a bunch of employees, including some who were legal apparently, but didn't actually know whether the employer was doing anything wrong before the raid?

Come on, can't we do a polite request for documentation of e-verify compliance, an inspection of worker papers, and if not forthcoming get a warrant and go in and look at the books without locking the employees up?

Or is that really not the point?

This ain't rocket science.

But then again, the whole thing is a farce. We should be making it much, much easier for green card, guest worker programs, path to citizenship, etc while at the same time doing tough screening for actual criminals and terrorists, etc and using e-verify to ensure compliance.

But, hey, that wouldn't make the white nationalist sorts happy would it? "We shall not be replaced".
You have to have probable cause to get a warrant to stage the raids.
Then you have to build a case that will stand up in court. When hired, the workers can present fake id, using a ssn# from identity theft.
If the ssn# matches the name it can pass e-verify.

The first step is to verify the employees who are illegal, then use them as evidence in building a case against the employer.

Has the US Atty yet said that no charges will be brought against the employer or that the investigation is still active ?
Give them time to do their jobs before going off half cocked.
old salt

Post by old salt »

a fan wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:07 pm
old salt wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:27 pm OK Mr Instant Gratification.
The CNN article you posted explains why it is so difficult, & takes so long, to make these cases against the employers.
:lol: Instant gratification? So we're back to this, then? Trump hasn't been in office long enough to fix the system? I'm asking for too much too soon? His last year is going to be the big one where he gets stuff done?

Further, your defense of Trump----you know, the guy who is the head of the Republican F'ing party that ran government for two years----- when it comes to fixing immigration is: "a fan, you don't understand...the visa and immigration system is broken".

Yeah. I think I got that part. The reason folks voted for Trump and the Republican was so that he could get into office, and get off his *ss and FIX our immigration system...... remember?

SMH. Do you not realize that the "defense" you just gave me as to why Trump hasn't done his job is "well, a fan, the immigration system is broken. What do you expect Trump to do?"

Jeezus, you're a piece of work sometimes. :lol: ;)

Here's the phrase you're looking for: "no, a fan, Trump didn't fix our immigration system and secure our borders as he promised he would. And I'm disappointed in him for not getting that done".

You're welcome. ;) Totally reasonable criticism. No TDS needed.
You're incoherently ranting about the entire immigration system by citing a case that has just been started, prejudging the final outcome.
I'm talking about this specifics of the case. Give the US ATTY's office time to do their job.
Buried at the bottom of the CNN article you linked :
Cliff Johnson, director of the MacArthur Justice Center at the University of Mississippi School of Law, said it could take months or years for federal agents and prosecutors to review evidence seized from companies to determine whether the employers should face charges.
"Now I suspect there's pressure on this US attorney's office to move quickly due to the high profile of this case and the number of people asking what's going to happen to these corporate defendants," Johnson said.
"But I don't think anyone should read anything into the fact that corporate officials weren't hauled out in handcuffs on the day of the raids."
a fan

Post by a fan »

I'm not ranting about anything. You just don't want to hear it, because you start every conversation surrounding Trump with the angle, "hmmm, how do I defend Trump from taking responsibility here?"

I'll rephrase. When you say "give the US atty time to do their job"-----i'm not blaming the US Attorney, who's following the current laws.

I'm saying: if you have ICE show up at a factory, and they haul off the entire freaking workforce at a plant with hundreds of works after months of investigation----and not one single manager/owner of the plant is walked off in handcuffs with them?? The system is still broken.

In other words, they're 100% sure of indicting/arresting/deporting/whatever hundreds of illegal workers---so much so that they show up with dozens of freaking busses----and yet they're magically not sure enough to even make an arrest of one single person in charge of hiring these illegal workers?

What is this a joke? You don't see the systemic problem here? Straight face, and everything?

Why would it take "months" to figure out if the employers hired illegal workers? They figured out that illegals worked there....in the hundreds. Now why wouldn't they be able to indict the people who hired and exploited them?

Because the system is broken. That's why. That's my "rant". And as I said before Trump took office, he's going to do absolutely nothing to fix the system.

And shocker, here we are, with the same broken system we had under Obama. Stop defending this. You want it fixed, too.
old salt

Post by old salt »

a fan wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:18 pm I'm not ranting about anything. You just don't want to hear it, because you start every conversation surrounding Trump with the angle, "hmmm, how do I defend Trump from taking responsibility here?"

I'll rephrase. When you say "give the US atty time to do their job"-----i'm not blaming the US Attorney, who's following the current laws.

I'm saying: if you have ICE show up at a factory, and they haul off the entire freaking workforce at a plant with hundreds of works after months of investigation----and not one single manager/owner of the plant is walked off in handcuffs with them?? The system is still broken.

In other words, they're 100% sure of indicting/arresting/deporting/whatever hundreds of illegal workers---so much so that they show up with dozens of freaking busses----and yet they're magically not sure enough to even make an arrest of one single person in charge of hiring these illegal workers?

What is this a joke? You don't see the systemic problem here? Straight face, and everything?

Why would it take "months" to figure out if the employers hired illegal workers? They figured out that illegals worked there....in the hundreds. Now why wouldn't they be able to indict the people who hired and exploited them?

Because the system is broken. That's why. That's my "rant". And as I said before Trump took office, he's going to do absolutely nothing to fix the system.

And shocker, here we are, with the same broken system we had under Obama. Stop defending this. You want it fixed, too.
This was the largest ICE raids in years, I'm just pleased that we finally have a POTUS with the cojones to enforce our immigration laws & pizz off the special interests in both parties that are impacted by these raids & the deterrence factor they are.

In your biased, shallow, superficial analysis, it's a failure if a CEO is not frog marched in front of the cameras on the day of the raid.
That's not the way our immigration laws are written, enforced & adjudicated.
You have to prove that the employers knowingly hired illegal aliens. The employers don't have the ability to screen out the fake id's based on identity theft. Even e-verify fails if it's a valid name - ssn# match. You have to prove that the employer facilitated the fake id.

The disruption of the raids & loss of workers has an immediate negative financial impact on the employer.
Give the US Atty's the necessary time to do their job in building a case against the employer with the evidence gathered in the raid.
https://www.apnews.com/e7113c50a6fd4d2688fc2f2b8a9a91cd

Lawyers and experts agree that investigating managers takes longer and is far more difficult than arresting workers. A key hurdle that predates the Trump administration is that federal law makes it a crime to “knowingly” hire workers who are in the U.S. illegally.

“The ‘knowingly’ term has proved to be a huge defense for employers,” said Muzaffar Chishti, a senior fellow at the Migration Policy Institute. “The employer says, ‘I’m sorry, I didn’t know they were unauthorized.’”

In a statement Tuesday, U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement Acting Director Matthew Albence said that anyone found to have broken the law in the Mississippi case would be held accountable, including “the employers who profit off their crimes.” Warrants unsealed after the Mississippi arrests allege that managers at two processing plants participated in fraud.
Last edited by old salt on Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:51 pm In your biased, shallow, superficial analysis, it's a failure if a CEO is not frog marched in front of the cameras on the day of the raid.
That's not the way our immigration laws are written, enforced & adjudicated.
Dude. You're not reading a word I'm writing again. Strawman Bullsh*t, and you're doing it on purpose.

It's a failure of the SYSTEM if you have intel that says to a prosecutor "hey, we're 100% sure that there are HUNDREDS of illegal workers at this plant", while at the same time, "gee whiz, we just can't tell if the employers knew or not".

How can you tell one, and not the other? Arresting hundreds, and boy, "we just had no idea they were illegal". :roll: Yeah, right.
old salt wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:51 pm You have to prove that the employers knowingly hired illegal aliens
Under our current laws and systems, yes.
old salt wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:51 pm The employers don't have the ability to screen out the fake id's based on identity theft. Even e-verify fails if it's a valid name - ssn# match. You have to prove that the employer facilitated the fake id.
old salt wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:51 pm Give the US Atty's the necessary time to do their job in building a case against the employer with the evidence gathered in the raid..

You can't get into my iPhone without facial recognition---instantaneously---and you're telling me that "gee whiz, employers just can't figure out if these workers are here legally or illegally....it takes months, if not years".

These systems are broken. You agreed with this statement all of a few months ago. But when I dare hold your buddy Trump responsible for fixing the system, you get your panties in a bunch, and call me biased, shallow, and superficial.

Stop it. It's ok to criticize our leaders.
old salt

Post by old salt »

a fan wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:49 pm If this doesn't tell you that Trump isn't the least bit serious about fixing immigration, nothing will....
Indictments of workers mount after the Mississippi immigration raids, but no employers have been charged

Meet the new boss....

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/21/us/missi ... index.html
.:lol:. ...you specifically attacked Trump & implied that he's not doing anything differently,
& used the fact that no employers have yet to be charged as proof of your claim.
^^^ That's what you posted. It's not a strawman.
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:18 pm .:lol:. ...you specifically attacked Trump & implied that he's not doing anything differently,
& used the fact that no employers have yet to be charged as proof of your claim.
Yes!

That's direct proof that the system hasn't changed, and Trump has no intention of changing the system. What else do you need to see to know it's same old, same old? Arresting a few immigrants is a big, fat, pointless nothing-burger that is trying to hold the ocean back with a pail.

We said this during the Obama admin.: the moment they start hauling off OWNERS/Managers is the moment the situation will change overnight.

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

And yep, it's now on Trump. He's in charge now.
CU88

Post by CU88 »

r's so proud of their hero o d and his 1,000 points of hate program.

Sad to know that the r's are also now anti-vaxxers...

"And the government is making no concerted effort to protect the children in its custody against flu by making sure they have access to the appropriate vaccines."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... n-disease/

How easy and cheap is it to give these kids a simple shot?
by cradleandshoot » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:57 am
Mr moderator, deactivate my account.
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
This is cradle and shoot signing out.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

CU88 wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:51 am r's so proud of their hero o d and his 1,000 points of hate program.

Sad to know that the r's are also now anti-vaxxers...

"And the government is making no concerted effort to protect the children in its custody against flu by making sure they have access to the appropriate vaccines."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... n-disease/

How easy and cheap is it to give these kids a simple shot?
Isn't that immoral or against their rights if the parents do not want immunization? Pick your poison...
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:13 am
youthathletics wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:48 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:41 am
youthathletics wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:36 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:31 am
youthathletics wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:51 am Do you know where it came from? Often, what is NOT in the story matters.
The manufacturer is forcing those two to sell?
You missed the point, his post was more about the wall, which is why I asked how they obtained it.
So the implication is that we have fentanyl labs in this country that is not being reported on by MSM and a wall may not have an impact (it would be negligible at best). Is that the line of thinking? His post was about these two law enforcement criminals and the wall is designed to keep criminals and drug dealers out... that was my take on his post. The wall was a throwaway statement...tongue in cheek...but I can be wrong.
I thought his sarcastic point was the wall will keep out "drugs" like fentanyl.
There is a case to be made that we have Fentanyl labs here that the media isn’t covering?
Instead of a case to be made about labs in the US, there is evidence of Mexican labs with the deadly drugs entering our lower 48.
DEA: 1.1 million fentanyl pills seized in Arizona this fiscal year

the pills known as "Mexican oxy" are largely manufactured south of the border and smuggled into the United States by drug cartels. He says the growing number of pills that law enforcement is encountering is "alarming."
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Trinity wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:59 am U.S. Atty says enough fentanyl to kill 600,000 ppl was seized from home of retired W. Va. county sheriff & son, who were indicted on drug trafficking charges.

Build that wall?
If ever there was a problem calling out for deployment of the neutron bomb (multiple), it is Waste Virginia.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
LandM

Post by LandM »

You have obviously not been to WV - beautiful country and nice people;
This is going after the Distributor (rightly) but you are not hitting the Manufacturer - guess which of two countries that would be?
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Just 1 of 5 rapes this August from illegals in Montgomery County alone

Interesting story I heard on local WTOP today. MS13 gang members pray on the illegals by taking pictures of the known illegals in their area, robbing their mailboxes so they see where their family is back home via return postage, then MS13 sends those pictures to their family back home south the border proving they know who their family is back in the states and demand money from the family south of the border or they will kill the family here in the states.
~Livy

a fan

Post by a fan »

Boy, if I didn't know any better, I'd think that Trump and McConnell should probably bring an immigration reform bill to the floor to fix this problem.

Naaaaaaah. They should blame the Dems instead, and campaign on fixing the problem.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

This is even worse where the county is at odds with ICE. MC is also one of the sanctuary areas. County Executive Elrich was walking a political razors edge on the show today.....he’s in a bind and made sure to say he is just following existing laws on the books.
~Livy

a fan

Post by a fan »

Sanctuary cities are moronic.

More so now that the Dems took the House. Pass your bill, Pelosi, THEN you have a leg to stand on.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Mexico’s new drug war may be worse than old one: LINK

Is this is byproduct of the belt tightening at our border and the flow of cash and drugs is slowing....causing unrest? OR is this just cartels being cartels fighting over turf and a new president of Mexico?
~Livy

MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:04 am Mexico’s new drug war may be worse than old one: LINK

Is this is byproduct of the belt tightening at our border and the flow of cash and drugs is slowing....causing unrest? OR is this just cartels being cartels fighting over turf and a new president of Mexico?
Pretty sure that there's been little diminution in $ flowing through the drug trade due to any 'belt tightening at our border' so more likely your second possibility explains the current swell in violence. Big money.
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

Cooter wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:50 am Illegal Immigrants Drive Child Sex Crime Charges in North Carolina
North Carolina data indicates massive hidden problem nationwide
https://www.theepochtimes.com/illegal-i ... 06558.html

Not me.
Thanks, Dems!
Things are hitting a little closer to home now:
https://www.foxnews.com/us/illegal-immi ... -six-weeks

7 sexual crimes in the last 5 weeks in Montgomvery Maryland. Yikes!
Isn't it nice living in a sanctuary county. :evil:
Live Free or Die!
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

LandM wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:41 am 72,
You have obviously not been to WV - beautiful country and nice people;
This is going after the Distributor (rightly) but you are not hitting the Manufacturer - guess which of two countries that would be?
Been there a thousand times, no place more scenic. No place more blessed with natural resources. Love the place. People are also nice and friendly - it's their job! They are too stupid to live however. Any state where 65% of the population is made up of trumpnista boot licks deserves no mercy. F***ing irradiate them with neutrons. Make the MFs glow in the dark! In 5 years we can resettle the state with sane people who will protect their environment.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM

Return to “POLITICS”