The Nation's Financial Condition

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
holmes435

Re: The Nation's Financial Condition

Post by holmes435 »

old salt wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:19 pm
holmes435 wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:34 pm Lowering the payroll tax sounds great!

But how are we gonna pay for it? Ooh, how about taxing capital gains like labor, or going back to higher taxes on the wealthy like when our economy was booming in the 50's.
Because they're not labor. For individual private investors, they're long term investments of earnings which were already taxed once as labor.
For traders whose labor is trading, short term cap gains are already taxed as labor.
Carried interest should be taxed like labor.
Sure the investment was already taxed, but the earnings weren't. That's new income.

For traders (and many wealthy families) whose labor is trading and holding onto things longer than a year, capital gains aren't taxed as labor.
CU88

Post by CU88 »

r hero o d and their crushing of America.

Trump’s Two Strategies to Reduce the Debt
Candidate Trump had two strategies to reduce the U.S. debt. He promised to grow the economy 6 percent annually to increase tax revenues. But once in office, he lowered his growth estimate to 3.5 percent to 4 percent.

These projections are above the 2-3 percent healthy growth rate. When growth is more than that, it creates inflation. Too much money chases too few good business projects. Irrational exuberance grips investors. They create a boom-bust cycle that ends in a recession. Trump’s Fiscal Year 2020 budget lowered annual growth rates down to between 2.4 percent and 2.9 percent annually.

Trump promised to achieve 4 percent growth with tax cuts. In his first 100 days, he released the outline of would become the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act. It cut the corporate tax rate from 35 percent to 21 percent beginning in 2018. The top individual income tax rate drops to 37 percent. It doubles the standard deduction and eliminates personal exemptions. The corporate cuts are permanent, while the individual changes expire at the end of 2025.

But Trump's tax cuts won't stimulate the economy enough to make up for lost tax revenue. According to the Laffer curve, tax cuts only do that when the rates were above 50 percent. It worked during the Reagan administration because the highest tax rate was 70 percent.

Trump’s second strategy is to “eliminate waste and redundancy in federal spending.” He demonstrated cost-consciousness in his campaign. He used his Twitter account and rallies instead of expensive television ads. He outlined his cost-cutting strategies in his book, "The Art of the Deal."

https://www.thebalance.com/trump-plans- ... ebt-411440

DEPLORABLE
by cradleandshoot » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:57 am
Mr moderator, deactivate my account.
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
This is cradle and shoot signing out.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

None of the Republican income tax cuts have paid for themselves since the 1970. Zero.

Reagan raises taxes 7? Times after he cut them including the largest social security tax crease as I recall.

Tax cuts generally generate enough revenue to pay back a about 1/3. The rest is myth.
a fan

Post by a fan »

CU88 wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:03 pm

But Trump's tax cuts won't stimulate the economy enough to make up for lost tax revenue. According to the Laffer curve, tax cuts only do that when the rates were above 50 percent. It worked during the Reagan administration because the highest tax rate was 70 percent.
It 100% did NOT work during the Reagan administration-----the deficit EXPLODED during the Reagan Administration.
CU88

Post by CU88 »

Trump Credit Card spending =

Federal Deficits to Grow More Than Expected Over Next Decade, CBO Says

https://www.wsj.com/articles/cbo-boosts ... 1566399611

r's don't care.
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Are you all indulging about the deficit again....must be election cycle time.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
a fan

Post by a fan »

Nopity, nope, nope, nope.

Sorry buddy, you don't get to play this game. We told you BEFORE the bill was signed what would happen. And put up reminders as to the consequences of the Tax Bill almost monthly.

And what was the BS reaction from the Water Cooler right?

Well, we got a mix of "how can you possibly know what will happen because of this bill", to "you need to be patient" to see how it all works out. And now that your mathematical dumbassery ( ;) ) has reached a point where you acknowledge the problem, you want to blame elections? Nope. Sell it somewhere else.

You were wrong before the bill was signed. You're wrong now. And rather than admit that your party's idea of never paying your bills is a bad idea, you go all in, and blame it on an election season.

Your party is intellectually bankrupt. Dance around this fact all you want.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

a fan wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:42 pm Your party is intellectually bankrupt. Dance around this fact all you want.
The GOP is the Venality of Evil. As long as they are doing OK economically, nothing -- really, nothing -- else matters.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

a fan wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:42 pm Nopity, nope, nope, nope.

Sorry buddy, you don't get to play this game. We told you BEFORE the bill was signed what would happen. And put up reminders as to the consequences of the Tax Bill almost monthly.

Well, we got a mix of "how can you possibly know what will happen because of this bill", to "you need to be patient" to see how it all works out. And now that your mathematical dumbassery ( ;) ) has reached a point where you acknowledge the problem, you want to blame elections? Nope. Sell it somewhere else.

You were wrong before the bill was signed. You're wrong now. And rather than admit that your party's idea of never paying your bills is a bad idea, you go all in, and blame it on an election season.

We already went over this a few times. Hint - DIck Cheney on National Debt being inconsequential. No need to fill up pages on it again.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
a fan

Post by a fan »

Yes, we have gone over it, and I disagreed then, and I disagree now.

You don't understand what we have set in motion. We have made it impossible to raise taxes, and impossible to make cuts.

And Trump has to figure out how to increase spending to keep the party going. So next up, is infrastructure. Do you think we're going to raise taxes to pay for it? Or do you think we're going to borrow more?
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

CU88 wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:08 pm Trump Credit Card spending =

Federal Deficits to Grow More Than Expected Over Next Decade, CBO Says

https://www.wsj.com/articles/cbo-boosts ... 1566399611

r's don't care.
who does?
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
a fan

Post by a fan »

Those of us who know that when you eat a nice dinner, someone eventually shows up with the bill.

I don't want my daughter paying for this inability to add and subtract.
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

The U.S. budget deficit is set to top $1 trillion 2 years sooner than expected, CBO says. Also—frog juggling hand grenades drops one.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/us-cr ... 2019-08-21

500 k fewer actual jobs than previously reported. Labor Department
“I don’t take responsibility at all.” —Donald J Trump
a fan

Post by a fan »

Bourbon sales plummet by 21% year over year from the EU tariffs.

It's ok. It's not me who's getting hit, so who cares, right?

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/old-fore ... 50264.html
CU88

Post by CU88 »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:37 pm
a fan wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:42 pm Nopity, nope, nope, nope.

We already went over this a few times. Hint - DIck Cheney on National Debt being inconsequential. No need to fill up pages on it again.
Pray tell, why do we even bother to tax if this is fact?
CU88

Post by CU88 »

Looks like the r's have been cooking the books:

U.S. created 500,000 fewer jobs since 2018 than previously reported, new figures show

Shocker...
a fan

Post by a fan »

CU88 wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:37 pm Pray tell, why do we even bother to tax if this is fact?
Bingo. This is where the nonsense falls apart.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

CU88 wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:39 pm Looks like the r's have been cooking the books:

U.S. created 500,000 fewer jobs since 2018 than previously reported, new figures show

Shocker...
More BS. Obviously a Deep State plot to derail The Chosen One. Probably Nellie Ohr behind this one.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

a fan wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:31 pm Bourbon sales plummet by 21% year over year from the EU tariffs.

It's ok. It's not me who's getting hit, so who cares, right?

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/old-fore ... 50264.html
Coincides with Japan and EU breaking down their existing tariffs....not to mention Japanese whiskey over the past few years.
~Livy

a fan

Post by a fan »

Trump doesn't care, and we don't anyone who works for him smart enough to formulate an actual Trade Plan. At this point, that's what's infuriating. This is not part of a larger plan. This is Trump trying to act tough. Pointless, and costing Americans billions of dollars. And no one in the Republican party has the stones to call him out for it.

Our trade plan is now tweet by tweet. Sooner or later, posters other than myself are going to start losing money over this nonsense. This is the first time I've been able to tell who is in the White House....in the sense that the person effects my business one way or another.

Return to “POLITICS”