Syracuse 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Matnum PI

Re: Syracuse 2020

Post by Matnum PI »

While there's something to be said for cross-training, I think Helmer would've been a better player at one position if he just played one position. And, from where I'm sitting, I think that position should've been LSM.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Matnum PI wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:45 pm While there's something to be said for cross-training, I think Helmer would've been a better player at one position if he just played one position. And, from where I'm sitting, I think that position should've been LSM.
well, if kennedy stays at lsm, they've got 2 top notch guys there. and kennedy is crazy good. that's plenty at lsm.
spots have opened down low. if he can play d, he's got an opportunity to be on the field.

will be interesting to see what the attack ends up being and producing. they can make up for it as deep as they are with middies, but that's the one area where they may go into games against top teams losing the production battle.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Syracuse's attack unit may not produce eye popping stats compared to some others ie UVA but it should be good. Their offense tends to spread the wealth around but their scheme and players fit Scanlan's game well so any drop-off from him should be minimal. He has passing abilities as well so a 35/20/55 seems reasonable. Refhuss has talent, was All ACC in 2018 and expecting him to have a fine final year , he'll deliver the ball to Scanlan and others in good spots but also see him being more assertive so thinking he could post a 25/25/50 year . Orange have a few good options for 3rd attack spot, just have to choose one wisely without any prejudices.

Yale coach Shay praised Cook last year after a scrimmage so maybe he takes that big step up with a year under his belt as Rice did for Orange years ago. He sometimes gets compared to that former Orange great though the comparison may be somewhat based on size but unit would be very good if he's real and ready. If not, probably see a mid dropping who'll enhance dodging and breakdown abilities unless another attackman emerges.

Helmer a versatile player who arrived as lsm/d but Firman and Fusco were in place then came Kennedy and Fernandez.. Kennedy is terrific defensively and in transition so may be too valuable there to shift down despite Fernandez being very capable. Helmer was a top close defender in high school , could see him grabbing one of two open spots there if ssdm is as deep as it appears.

As far as 2020, the addition of Scanlan and return of Dordevic probably puts Syracuse near top five preseason. They still have a few questions to answer as most do but their core is talented and most now have 2-3 years of good playing experience.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

stupefied wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:03 pmHelmer a versatile player who arrived as lsm/d but Firman and Fusco were in place then came Kennedy and Fernandez.. Kennedy is terrific defensively and in transition so may be too valuable there to shift down despite Fernandez being very capable. Helmer was a top close defender in high school , could see him grabbing one of two open spots there if ssdm is as deep as it appears.
This is where I think SU has made the biggest strides and quickly. Kennedy and Fernandez have been a major upgrade from where the lsm position was. Dearth and Helmer have done same with ssm.

IMHO, you've got to have both Helmer and Dearth on field at same time so hopefully Helmer will transition to close D. I expect 2020 to be a fun year for SU fans, present company...included.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Appears he mover Gary Gait to attack so he could get Jalbert in. Paul was a great player too.
D2fan

Post by D2fan »

https://cuse.com/news/2019/8/21/mens-la ... ogram.aspx

So does Desko hire another coach with a full time role being open?

I wonder if he takes the Danowski/Starsia route and hires his son Tim, who is currently the Offensive Coordinator at Le Moyne.
Mack

Post by Mack »

A few worth considering, not in any order.
John Galloway
Pat McCabe
Matt Abbott
Mack

Post by Mack »

A few worth considering, not in any order.
John Galloway
Pat McCabe
Matt Abbott

I think whomever the hire is will be the next head coach.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Mack wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:16 pm A few worth considering, not in any order.
John Galloway
Pat McCabe
Matt Abbott

Love Coach Donahue, sad to see him go. Time marches on...

I have always thought that, if he wants it, Gary Gait would be next in line to follow JD.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Morrissey or Rogers?

Weren’t Desko and Zurich fairly tight? I’d think he’d of learned the son lesson from Scotty basically getting his dad pushed out hard at GTown towards the end.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
DMac

Post by DMac »

tech37 wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:29 am I have always thought that, if he wants it, Gary Gait would be next in line to follow JD.
Think it's that if he wants it part that throws a ton of garbage in the game with Gait, tech, I really don't think he does. He seems to have fallen in love with the girl's game and I believe is a big part of the reason for the drastic changes that have been brought to that game. He's also got a pretty darn good team coming back this season, I'd be very surprised to see him walk away from that. Taylor just got a coaching job out in San Diego too...any bets we'll see a trip to the left coast by the Cuse wlaxers for a scrimmage/game (and vice versa)? I think wlax is on the verge of an explosion, it's a really exciting game these days and Gary's liking being a part of it, I think. JMHO.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

I have been told Gait doesn’t want it for what it is worth
tech37

Post by tech37 »

DMac wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:30 am
tech37 wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:29 am I have always thought that, if he wants it, Gary Gait would be next in line to follow JD.
Think it's that if he wants it part that throws a ton of garbage in the game with Gait, tech, I really don't think he does. He seems to have fallen in love with the girl's game and I believe is a big part of the reason for the drastic changes that have been brought to that game. He's also got a pretty darn good team coming back this season, I'd be very surprised to see him walk away from that. Taylor just got a coaching job out in San Diego too...any bets we'll see a trip to the left coast by the Cuse wlaxers for a scrimmage/game (and vice versa)? I think wlax is on the verge of an explosion, it's a really exciting game these days and Gary's liking being a part of it, I think. JMHO.
Good points DMac...appreciate the info as always...
oldjayfan

Post by oldjayfan »

OCanada wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:32 am I have been told Gait doesn’t want it for what it is worth
Casey Powell?
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

tech37 wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:29 am
Mack wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:16 pm A few worth considering, not in any order.
John Galloway
Pat McCabe
Matt Abbott

Love Coach Donahue, sad to see him go. Time marches on...

I have always thought that, if he wants it, Gary Gait would be next in line to follow JD.
Agreed on Donahue; hope we can still see him on the sidelines.

I think Galloway and McCabe have gigs they really like. Unless...Galloway is conceivably the HC after Desko.
sholokov2

Post by sholokov2 »

Brodie Merrill
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

sholokov2 wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:53 pm Brodie Merrill
Just a guess but, I'm thinking he makes more money running The Hill School than what Coach Donahue was paid.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

oldjayfan wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:28 am
OCanada wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:32 am I have been told Gait doesn’t want it for what it is worth
Casey Powell?
I would guess Ryan before Casey, since he has already been helping out. See improved scoring by Trimboli for example.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Strange timing so maybe someone is already in place and just a matter of days before announcing the new assistant. Initially rumored to be R Powell but many guesses now out there. Guessing be someone from offensive side with a strong background, somewhat youthful but with good experience as OC. Being ex Cuse be a plus but likely has to have a known name, engaging personality and local ties for recruiting.

Donahue is a very good coach and fine man who was heavily immersed. Wont be easily replaced . Hurts if he quickly recedes from the practices and sidelines. Maybe he's told Desko and AD that he'll be there this year to see the transition through and that his true retirement comes a year later.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”