Orange Duce

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
old salt

Re: Orange Duce

Post by old salt »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:57 pm
seacoaster wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:55 pm
old salt wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:39 pm
seacoaster wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:51 amThe President is the sort of moron that muses about this sort of thing, which will never happen. The President's advisors appear to be toadying morons who not only think nothing of the President -- in his limited executive time -- musing about these sorts of idiotic things, they encourage it. It's like the President of the United States saying, "Gee, let's buy the Algarve." But you toady-up too, as if on cue, to normalize the musings of this knucklehead.
seacoaster wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:46 pm C'mon now. Comparing the state of things now with the conditions of the world at the time of the Louisiana Purchase or Seward's Folly is comparing apples to sea urchins, which you certainly know. My point -- which you also get, even if you don't agree with it -- is that these are the sort of silly, pointless things that take up the mind of our President, and are condoned and encouraged by the little yes-men with whom he has surrounded himself. The issue is where we are now and the likelihood that the purchase of Greenland is any more or less liable to happen in the 65 years since Harry Truman couldn't get the deal done. Tell me: how would you place a value on Greenland? What are the due diligence metrics? Etc., etc., etc.
Gillian Tett (of FT) today on MSNBC, in response to Andrea Mitchell calling Trump's Greenland purchase statement "crazy" :
With all due respect, actually, I think the idea has been talked around quite a bit in recent months. People I've been speaking to in Washington have been talking about this. It's something that wasn't on the table at all a year ago, in fact the Americans were offered a chance to actually invest in air bases & things & ports & they actually turned some of that down. What I expect to see going forward is not so much a debate about whether the govt should buy Greenland as a whole, but whether you're going to start seeing American private equity companies & financial companies investing in hard assets & strategic assets, because quite apart from the mineral issue & the geopolitical issue to do with the Arctic Circle & the military aspect, there's also a big debate about climate change & Greenland is one of the places that you actually want to be in if you believe any of the climate change projection in the coming years are going to be true. There are people inside the US military right now who absolutely can see that equation. ...the military does believe in climate change & that's impacting the date in the WH.
Andrea Mitchell was clearly not happy with this Brit Trumpist toady (from FT) pushing back on her TDS Resistance snarkfest.
It is a waste of the Administration's time, or another shiny object with which to avoid the problems presented by income inequality, gun violence, climate change, racial division, the resurgence of public white supremacists and Modern Klan activities, and what to do when the steroidal juice of the tax changes run out of gas. So let's talk about buying Greenland. But keep it up; you're doing great!
funny, of course you're right, that's what this is, just a way to distract.
:lol: The BBC is taking it seriously. They're reporting it in depth (mentioning rare earth mineral deposits, ...& a 9 hole golf course).
They're airing a Danish journalist from Copenhagen who says the Danes are trying to find a balance, ...both govts in Copenhagen & Nuuk are trying to indicate clearly that they're not rejecting increased American interest. They'd like American investments. Even increased American military presence in Greenland, would probably be welcomed. When asked if it's being seen as a joke, he replied :
No, I wouldn't say that. ...there's a history here. The US tried to buy Greenland after WW II & in the 18th century, when they bought Alaska. ...the US has indicated clearly that the Arctic is now a strategic arena for the US. They have lambasted the militarization of the Russian Arctic & are looking very closely, with some trepidation, at China's inroads in the Arctic, which are not military, but political & economic. So here is a rivalry that the Americans have called very clearly. They're looking very closely & energetically on how they can increase their own presence, & their own footprint among military powers in the Arctic. Greenland stands out clearly since the US has already had a substantial military presence in Greenland since the 2nd WW at Thule AFB which is tremendously important for US missile defense. They have a standing deal with Denmark & Greenland that they can increase their presence there if they want, so this is a very easy call for the American President to say we want something there.
Too bad we have to look to the Brits for serious reporting.
Last edited by old salt on Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

ABV 8.3% wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:57 pm In reference to the Polar bear knockout game comment........it's working.....howz my spelln ?

NO.....the cops saw the entire thing. we all pointed to the kids across the street in front of the bank, laughing......bla bla bla......more to the story, but, really tough to get thru to someone who doesn't get the sub-titles of mastery and your mystical, mythical personnal hommage to thee self.

I told you a story

You said you never heard of it. (what do MOST people view this action/interaction as? passive aggressive, dickish, insecure??)

I pointed out that I had just told you a story.

You will argue that you forgot to type, "before your story, I had never heard of...."

I will point out that you didn't. You never do. Hence, the disrespect.
huh, sure I'd never heard your personal story, indeed I definitely didn't understand exactly what it was your telling us. Said so.

Nor did 'polar bear knockout game' ring a bell.
But absolutely did ring a bell when I googled it. It had a moment of flame up in the media then died out.

What the heck does "the sub-titles of mastery" mean???
Do I really have to google everything you write in order to decipher your meaning?

But back to your 'story'. You telling me that the cops saw a group of black men or youngsters come up and knock out your friend, zero provocation, and then came to arrest your buddy rather than the "kids" laughing across the street, and then a mob of other folks backed the black pig cops off?

Quite a story.

But ok, what does that have to do with the topic we were discussing?
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:45 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:57 pm
seacoaster wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:55 pm
old salt wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:39 pm
seacoaster wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:51 amThe President is the sort of moron that muses about this sort of thing, which will never happen. The President's advisors appear to be toadying morons who not only think nothing of the President -- in his limited executive time -- musing about these sorts of idiotic things, they encourage it. It's like the President of the United States saying, "Gee, let's buy the Algarve." But you toady-up too, as if on cue, to normalize the musings of this knucklehead.
seacoaster wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:46 pm C'mon now. Comparing the state of things now with the conditions of the world at the time of the Louisiana Purchase or Seward's Folly is comparing apples to sea urchins, which you certainly know. My point -- which you also get, even if you don't agree with it -- is that these are the sort of silly, pointless things that take up the mind of our President, and are condoned and encouraged by the little yes-men with whom he has surrounded himself. The issue is where we are now and the likelihood that the purchase of Greenland is any more or less liable to happen in the 65 years since Harry Truman couldn't get the deal done. Tell me: how would you place a value on Greenland? What are the due diligence metrics? Etc., etc., etc.
Gillian Tett (of FT) today on MSNBC, in response to Andrea Mitchell calling Trump's Greenland purchase statement "crazy" :
With all due respect, actually, I think the idea has been talked around quite a bit in recent months. People I've been speaking to in Washington have been talking about this. It's something that wasn't on the table at all a year ago, in fact the Americans were offered a chance to actually invest in air bases & things & ports & they actually turned some of that down. What I expect to see going forward is not so much a debate about whether the govt should buy Greenland as a whole, but whether you're going to start seeing American private equity companies & financial companies investing in hard assets & strategic assets, because quite apart from the mineral issue & the geopolitical issue to do with the Arctic Circle & the military aspect, there's also a big debate about climate change & Greenland is one of the places that you actually want to be in if you believe any of the climate change projection in the coming years are going to be true. There are people inside the US military right now who absolutely can see that equation. ...the military does believe in climate change & that's impacting the date in the WH.
Andrea Mitchell was clearly not happy with this Brit Trumpist toady (from FT) pushing back on her TDS Resistance snarkfest.
It is a waste of the Administration's time, or another shiny object with which to avoid the problems presented by income inequality, gun violence, climate change, racial division, the resurgence of public white supremacists and Modern Klan activities, and what to do when the steroidal juice of the tax changes run out of gas. So let's talk about buying Greenland. But keep it up; you're doing great!
funny, of course you're right, that's what this is, just a way to distract.
:lol: The BBC is taking it seriously. They're reporting it in depth (mentioning rare earth mineral deposits, ...& a 9 hole golf course).
They're airing a Danish journalist from Copenhagen who says the Danes are trying to find a balance, ...both govts in Copenhagen & Nuuk are trying to indicate clearly that they're not rejecting increased American interest. They'd like American investments. Even increased American military presence in Greenland, would probably be welcomed. When asked if it's being seen as a joke, he replied :
No, I wouldn't say that. ...there's a history here. The US tried to buy Greenland after WW II & in the 18th century, when they bought Alaska. ...the US has indicated clearly that the Arctic is now a strategic arena for the US. They have lambasted the militarization of the Russian Arctic & are looking very closely, with some trepidation, at China's inroads in the Arctic, which are not military, but political & economic. So here is a rivalry that the Americans have called very clearly. They're looking very closely & energetically on how they can increase their own presence, & their own footprint among military powers in the Arctic. Greenland stands out clearly since the US has already had a substantial military presence in Greenland since the 2nd WW at Thule AFB which is tremendously important for US missile defense. They have a standing deal with Denmark & Greenland that they can increase their presence there if they want, so this is a very easy call for the American President to say we want something there.
Too bad we have to look to the Brits for serious reporting.
Remember when anything and everything the US President said publicly could be taken not just seriously but as actual policy?

Nah, don't take him literally.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:48 pm
ABV 8.3% wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:57 pm In reference to the Polar bear knockout game comment........it's working.....howz my spelln ?

NO.....the cops saw the entire thing. we all pointed to the kids across the street in front of the bank, laughing......bla bla bla......more to the story, but, really tough to get thru to someone who doesn't get the sub-titles of mastery and your mystical, mythical personnal hommage to thee self.

I told you a story

You said you never heard of it. (what do MOST people view this action/interaction as? passive aggressive, dickish, insecure??)

You will argue that you forgot to type, "before your story, I had never heard of...."

huh, sure I'd never heard your personal story, indeed I definitely didn't understand exactly what it was your telling us. Said so.

But absolutely did ring a bell when I googled it. It had a moment of flame up in the media then died out.

Do I really have to google everything you write in order to decipher your meaning?

But back to your 'story'. You telling me that the cops saw a group of black men or youngsters come up and knock out your friend, zero provocation, and then came to arrest your buddy rather than the "kids" laughing across the street, and then a mob of other folks backed the black pig cops off?

Quite a story.

Sounds to me like just another bad cop.
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

I told you a story

Quite a story.

https://thinkprogress.org/media-feeding ... 3ba5ea2dc7

Juvenile delinquents with nothing better to do than assault some easy marks should be usher off to a juvenile penitentiary before they grow up to to be an adult criminal. I remember when the reports of these incidents spiked up and then went away. Sort of like all the BLM protest. What happened to all those people. Been awfully quiet since the elections. Seems Antifa is the new bogeyman.

I am leery of Double IPA’s posts...the anti-vaccine folks raise my suspicions on anything so I look for myself.
“I wish you would!”
old salt

Post by old salt »

foreverlax wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:42 am Today's WSJ
Trump Administration Extends License Enabling Huawei to Work With U.S. Customers
Commerce Department officials grant 90-day extension to license that has allowed Chinese company to do some business within the U.S.
What Trump actually said -
Q On Huawei — is the administration going to allow U.S. businesses to continue selling to Huawei? Is there going to be an extension of the license tomorrow?

THE PRESIDENT: No. That was reported. And, actually, it’s the opposite. Huawei. Huawei is a company we may not do business with at all. And it was sort of reported, I think the opposite, today — I was surprised — that we are open to doing business. We’re actually open not to doing business with them. So I don’t know who gave the report.
It's an extension to allow US suppliers to continue to sell sub-components to Huawei & to allow rural ISP's to buy what they need to sustain connectivity. No national security implications.

Huawei is a national security issue, not just a trade issue.
ABV 8.3%

Post by ABV 8.3% »

Quite a story. I detect some old school blue blood sardonic spice roasting in the BS egg. You mean to tell me that cops choked a guy to death because he was selling untaxed smokes. Do YOU mean that kind of UNbelievable kinda story :roll:

oligarchy thanks you......same as it evah was
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

ABV 8.3% wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:04 pm

Quite a story. I detect some old school blue blood sardonic spice roasting in the BS egg. You mean to tell me that cops choked a guy to death because he was selling untaxed smokes. Do YOU mean that kind of UNbelievable kinda story :roll:

You're quoting me, with a sarcastic reference I assume, but I didn't post anything about anyone selling untaxed smokes.
Try TLD.
Don't think the 'blue blood' crack will stick, but go ahead.
ABV 8.3%

Post by ABV 8.3% »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:10 pm

You're quoting me, with a sarcastic reference I assume, but I didn't post anything about anyone selling untaxed smokes.
Try TLD.
Anyone that is on first name basis with their congressperson is a blue blood........don't kid yourself.

SO, you weren't being sardonic? You agree the story happened?
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

old salt wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:39 pm
Trump Administration Extends License Enabling Huawei to Work With U.S. Customers
Commerce Department officials grant 90-day extension to license that has allowed Chinese company to do some business within the U.S.
Q On Huawei — is the administration going to allow U.S. businesses to continue selling to Huawei? Is there going to be an extension of the license tomorrow?

THE PRESIDENT: No. That was reported. And, actually, it’s the opposite. Huawei. Huawei is a company we may not do business with at all. And it was sort of reported, I think the opposite, today — I was surprised — that we are open to doing business. We’re actually open not to doing business with them. So I don’t know who gave the report.
It's an extension to allow US suppliers to continue to sell sub-components to Huawei & to allow rural ISP's to buy what they need to sustain connectivity. No national security implications.

As noted in this article. https://www.theverge.com/2019/3/17/1826 ... -spying-5g
Last edited by youthathletics on Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Typical Lax Dad

ABV 8.3% wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:17 pm

Try TLD.
Anyone that is on first name basis with their congressperson is a blue blood........don't kid yourself.

I don’t believe I have ever posted on Eric Garner being choked out. Cop was fired today. We should stand for extra judicial killing in this country.
“I wish you would!”
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

ABV 8.3% wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:17 pm

Try TLD.

Which story?
I didn't post anything about anyone getting choked over selling smokes. Is that what you're asking about?

If that story, it has nothing to do with my posts. That was someone else. Focus the blue blood comment there.

or your story?
I wasn't there, so how the heck would I know whether you were telling an accurate and complete account, or rather were inebriated yourself and you and your buddy were actually the instigators?

All I have to go on is your account.
I don't have any reason to think you're a dishonest person, a false story teller.

However, I do have some basis that you are going off half cocked and quite insultingly with me, so there's that to mediate total trust that you didn't do something to instigate a response in return on some street in the middle of 'happy hour'.

Am I "grimly mocking" or being "cynical" about your story? Take it that way if you wish. Only you know whether your story is 100% accurate and complete.

But let's assume it's 100% accurate. What did it have to do with the topic??
That white people have it rough in America?

Yes, that's "grimly mocking".

As to "blue blood", it's a fair enough whack at me.
I have some ancestors who qualify in some people's books.
Not really in my control.
Nor is it something I have a shred of pride about, unlike those who do care about such.
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

ABV 8.3% wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:09 pm
holmes435 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:58 pm
ABV 8.3% wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:33 pm Twist facts all you want, but the black on white crime in the District is legend. Especially in the kill for sneakers era. ,
Just pointing out that being white, was, and still is, a problem is many areas.

Yeah, I can't find those stories of you can't join our gang until you shot a white person on Anacostia pkwy..........either.

I google it. Even though that is exactly what THEY want to do. Narrative. You remove porn websites (boooo), and than see how long it takes for people to notice the surpression of facts on google, etc.
Not sure where I'm twisting the facts, what I said is completely true.

Then you come along and say, here are a few incidents where black people are committing crime against white people as if that somehow relates to the discussion in a meaningful way. We're talking about problems due to the history of ones skin here in America. Let me ask you a simple question. At any point in the history of this country, including today, do you think you would have it easier being born an average black man, or an average white man?

Do you want to talk about homicide facts? Black people usually kill black people. White people usually kill white people. By a large majority. FBI Source. But hey, a few black people killed some white people because of the color of their skin, so that means white people in this country have it just as hard as black people due to the color of their skin. :roll:
What part of a "few nutjobs with rapid fire guns " part won't you understand?

Define a few? A day, a week, a decade?

Guessing you don't know, or remember, the white couple in Tennassee being brutally murdered by 5 blacks.....not a hate crime. Remember their names? Just another "few". Who cares? Is this what you are saying, who cares about "a few" ? Unless it fits YOUR narrative.......understood. No need to reply.
You completely missed the point of all of the previous posts. It happens, sorry you're having a hard time with the discussion. Have a good week.
Last edited by holmes435 on Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ABV 8.3%

Post by ABV 8.3% »

holmes435 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:09 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:11 am Since when have we remotely accepted all legal applicants???
Recently enough in our history for many to think it helps their talking points: "My grandparents immigrated legally, why can't others?" :lol:

I had ancestors come over on the Mayflower, in some were in Jamestown, and I had others come just a couple of generations back fleeing Russian imperialism who legally immigrated.

They filled out some forms, sat on a boat for two weeks in quarantine and bam, they were citizens. Two whole weeks even. My great-grandparents immigrated here legally, is it so hard to ask others to do the same thing? :roll:
To fill out some forms? No, not hard at all, nor is it hard to ask someones future great- grandparents to immigrate legally. So what forms is an illegal, UNDOCUMENTED worker filling out?
ABV 8.3%

Post by ABV 8.3% »

holmes435 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:24 pm
ABV 8.3% wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:33 pm Twist facts all you want, but the black on white crime in the District is legend. Especially in the kill for sneakers era. ,

Yeah, I can't find those stories of you can't join our gang until you shot a white person on Anacostia pkwy..........either.

I google it. Even though that is exactly what THEY want to do. Narrative. You remove porn websites (boooo), and than see how long it takes for people to notice the surpression of facts on google, etc.

Then you come along and say, here are a few incidents where black people are committing crime against white people as if that somehow relates to the discussion in a meaningful way. We're talking about problems due to the history of ones skin here in America. Let me ask you a simple question. At any point in the history of this country, including today, do you think you would have it easier being born an average black man, or an average white man?

Do you want to talk about homicide facts? Black people usually kill black people. White people usually kill white people. By a large majority. FBI Source. But hey, a few black people killed some white people because of the color of their skin, so that means white people in this country have it just as hard as black people due to the color of their skin. :roll:

Guessing you don't know, or remember, the white couple in Tennassee being brutally murdered by 5 blacks.....not a hate crime. Remember their names? Just another "few". Who cares? Is this what you are saying, who cares about "a few" ? Unless it fits YOUR narrative.......understood. No need to reply.
You completely missed the point of all of the previous posts. It happens, sorry you're having a hard time with the discussion. Have a good weekend.
weekend? are you ok? But, I did as you requested and I am fairly certain I was directly replying to YOUR post and the topic of said post. Went back lots of pages too. Lots of points in all of the previous posts. Fairly certain my favorite points in previous posts were :

1. Which sheep produces the best wool for snow, best for misty rain. (from Trumps golf course comments )

2. That the Holy Grail witch scene is being played out, live, as we speak. Just substitute, "she's a witch" with " she's a racist" Remember, if she floats............

3. Whites can never be the victims, of crimes,unless, of course, you are a too big to fail, or jail, wall street bankster victims. that what you do, you always help the victims, never the perps. This IS what happens, right?

4. ddfd Pmes os p;a,p /a;lp and other code talk from pilots.

Guess my point is that I am glad you feel, as a white person, confident and calm to grab a bite to eat and then window shop in certain areas of our country. Heck, we could just start at Smith College and feel the hate filled eyes wish harm upon white males. Do you really think people are making this issue up?
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

ABV 8.3% wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:19 pm
holmes435 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:24 pm

You completely missed the point of all of the previous posts. It happens, sorry you're having a hard time with the discussion. Have a good weekend.
weekend? are you ok? But, I did as you requested and I am fairly certain I was directly replying to YOUR post and the topic of said post. Went back lots of pages too. Lots of points in all of the previous posts. Fairly certain my favorite points in previous posts were :

1. Which sheep produces the best wool for snow, best for misty rain. (from Trumps golf course comments )

2. That the Holy Grail witch scene is being played out, live, as we speak. Just substitute, "she's a witch" with " she's a racist" Remember, if she floats............

3. Whites can never be the victims, of crimes,unless, of course, you are a too big to fail, or jail, wall street bankster victims. that what you do, you always help the victims, never the perps. This IS what happens, right?

4. ddfd Pmes os p;a,p /a;lp and other code talk from pilots.

Guess my point is that I am glad you feel, as a white person, confident and calm to grab a bite to eat and then window shop in certain areas of our country. Heck, we could just start at Smith College and feel the hate filled eyes wish harm upon white males. Do you really think people are making this issue up?
As an actual, substantive issue for white males? Yes, quite made up.
By a bunch of whiny mama's boys, and those who feed them this nonsense for their own political gain.

Of course there are parts of our great country where I as a white guy would be pretty dumb to go on a dark night (actually, I'm not worried in the least bit during the day) but then again I'm pretty sure my African American and Hispanic friends would also stay out of those alleys at night too!

And sure, some of those feminist women are pretty strident at times about us men, no doubt.

But all in all, would I swap being a white guy in my generation for being a black or hispanic guy in my generation...nope. Not a close call.
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

old salt wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:39 pm

Which has nothing to do with what Trump said.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Mucc:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... story.html

President Trump’s online insults directed at me on Monday were predictable after I publicly said that he’s unfit for office. The tenor of his abuse only reinforces my thinking: I can no longer in good conscience support the president’s reelection.

This isn’t a Road to Damascus moment; my concerns have been building publicly for a while. And I’m not seeking absolution. I just want to be part of the solution. The negatives of Trump’s demagoguery now clearly outweigh the positives of his leadership, and it is imperative that Americans unite to prevent him from serving another four years in office.

When I decided to support Trump’s candidacy and later to work in his administration, it wasn’t because I agreed with all of his policies or liked every aspect of his personality. As former New York mayor Ed Koch used to say, “If you agree with me on nine out of 12 issues, vote for me. If you agree with me on 12 out of 12, see a psychiatrist.”

My public praise of the man was over the top at times, but my private estimation of him was more measured. I thought Trump, despite his warts, could bring a pragmatic, entrepreneurial approach to the Oval Office. I thought he could be the reset button Washington needed to break through the partisan sclerosis. I thought he would govern in a more inclusive way than his campaign rhetoric might have indicated, and I naively thought that, by joining the administration, I could counteract the far-right voices in the room.

I thought wrong. And, yes, many of you told me so.

Even after leaving the administration, I supported the president based on my belief that the positive results achieved during his time in office, especially concerning the economy, outweighed the corrosive effects of his unpresidential behavior. Most notably, his pro-business governance has driven unemployment to record lows for almost every segment of the population and boosted wage growth — even if his lack of tact in trade negotiations with China now threatens to cause a recession. However, in the yes-or-no matter of supporting the president, I have reached a tipping point.

For those paying attention, my public criticism of the president has been mounting over the past two years. His response to the neo-Nazi march in Charlottesville was repellent. I was appalled by the administration’s child-separation policy along the southern border. His ranting about the news media as the “enemy of the people” was dangerous and beyond the pale. But the final straw came last month when Trump said on Twitter that four congresswomen — all of them U.S. citizens, and three native-born — should “go back and help fix the totally broken and crime infested places from which they came.”

While it’s difficult and embarrassing to admit my errors in judgment, I believe I still have the ability to make amends.

I’ve been accused of turning on Trump only because he turned on me. If that were the case, the time to be vindictive would have been after I agreed to sell my company to serve in the administration, only to be used as a hatchet man and then summarily fired after 11 days as White House communications director simply because I used naughty words to tell a reporter, whom I had mistakenly trusted, the truth about bad people.

I broke from Trump because not only has his behavior become more erratic and his rhetoric more inflammatory, but also because, like all demagogues, he is incapable of handling constructive criticism. As we lie on the bed of nails Trump has made, it’s often difficult to see how much the paradigm of acceptable conduct has shifted. For the Republican Party, it’s now a question of whether we want to start cleaning up the mess or continue papering over the cracks.

I challenge my fellow Republicans to summon the nerve to speak out on the record against Trump. Defy the culture of fear he has created, and go public with the concerns you readily express in private. Hold on to your patriotism, and help save the country from his depredations. And to members of the so-called resistance, please leave room on the off-ramp for those willing to admit their mistakes.

My personal odyssey took longer than it should have, but I’m not concerned with being on the right side of history — I’m determined to ensure that good people are the ones who end up writing it."
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

seacoaster wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:09 am Mucc:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... story.html

President Trump’s online insults directed at me on Monday were predictable after I publicly said that he’s unfit for office. The tenor of his abuse only reinforces my thinking: I can no longer in good conscience support the president’s reelection.

This isn’t a Road to Damascus moment; my concerns have been building publicly for a while. And I’m not seeking absolution. I just want to be part of the solution. The negatives of Trump’s demagoguery now clearly outweigh the positives of his leadership, and it is imperative that Americans unite to prevent him from serving another four years in office.

When I decided to support Trump’s candidacy and later to work in his administration, it wasn’t because I agreed with all of his policies or liked every aspect of his personality. As former New York mayor Ed Koch used to say, “If you agree with me on nine out of 12 issues, vote for me. If you agree with me on 12 out of 12, see a psychiatrist.”

My public praise of the man was over the top at times, but my private estimation of him was more measured. I thought Trump, despite his warts, could bring a pragmatic, entrepreneurial approach to the Oval Office. I thought he could be the reset button Washington needed to break through the partisan sclerosis. I thought he would govern in a more inclusive way than his campaign rhetoric might have indicated, and I naively thought that, by joining the administration, I could counteract the far-right voices in the room.

I thought wrong. And, yes, many of you told me so.

Even after leaving the administration, I supported the president based on my belief that the positive results achieved during his time in office, especially concerning the economy, outweighed the corrosive effects of his unpresidential behavior. Most notably, his pro-business governance has driven unemployment to record lows for almost every segment of the population and boosted wage growth — even if his lack of tact in trade negotiations with China now threatens to cause a recession. However, in the yes-or-no matter of supporting the president, I have reached a tipping point.

For those paying attention, my public criticism of the president has been mounting over the past two years. His response to the neo-Nazi march in Charlottesville was repellent. I was appalled by the administration’s child-separation policy along the southern border. His ranting about the news media as the “enemy of the people” was dangerous and beyond the pale. But the final straw came last month when Trump said on Twitter that four congresswomen — all of them U.S. citizens, and three native-born — should “go back and help fix the totally broken and crime infested places from which they came.”

While it’s difficult and embarrassing to admit my errors in judgment, I believe I still have the ability to make amends.

I’ve been accused of turning on Trump only because he turned on me. If that were the case, the time to be vindictive would have been after I agreed to sell my company to serve in the administration, only to be used as a hatchet man and then summarily fired after 11 days as White House communications director simply because I used naughty words to tell a reporter, whom I had mistakenly trusted, the truth about bad people.

I broke from Trump because not only has his behavior become more erratic and his rhetoric more inflammatory, but also because, like all demagogues, he is incapable of handling constructive criticism. As we lie on the bed of nails Trump has made, it’s often difficult to see how much the paradigm of acceptable conduct has shifted. For the Republican Party, it’s now a question of whether we want to start cleaning up the mess or continue papering over the cracks.

I challenge my fellow Republicans to summon the nerve to speak out on the record against Trump. Defy the culture of fear he has created, and go public with the concerns you readily express in private. Hold on to your patriotism, and help save the country from his depredations. And to members of the so-called resistance, please leave room on the off-ramp for those willing to admit their mistakes.

My personal odyssey took longer than it should have, but I’m not concerned with being on the right side of history — I’m determined to ensure that good people are the ones who end up writing it."
In baseball terms, that was a good cut at the ball.
Better than letting the strike go past with no swing.
Problem is that he was pitching bean balls for the other team for so long, tough to root for him now.

Maybe this is an honest effort to get right with his conscience. If so, ok.
Keep swinging.
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

"DA MOOCH" showed up the Artists and Authors annual charity softball in EH. He recieved an ovation.Doubt that would happened last year.

A refreshing change.The town is still getting rid of the stench left by DD-K, Lilly Boy Lindsey and Trumpspawn #1.

🌼🌺Breathe and enjoy!

BTW the horse show begins next week.What the horses leave behind smells so much better than the Trump Brigade.

Return to “POLITICS”