Sensible Gun Safety

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
ardilla secreta

Re: Sensible Gun Control

Post by ardilla secreta »

That section is north of Temple. Closer to LaSalle U.
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

Surprising how many people still leave cars unlocked and home doors and windows unlocked. It’s the easiest way to become a victim as criminals usually take the path of least resistance. In the 80’s my parents home in a quiet part of Los Angeles County was broken into 3 times before they finally got a security system. After that, no more issues as the criminals move on to the next house. In the meantime, two vintage shotguns were stolen on the first attempt. Who knows how many times they were used in criminal acts or deaths instead of on their intended use, pheasants.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

LandM wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:24 am TLD,
When the nut job with his brother used a pressure cooker (maybe we should ban them as well) and holed up on the backyard stored boat - all this live coverage with 100's of police officers my wife asked what would you do. Small little armament strategically placed, boat is gone but it saves the taxpayer allot of money. Would not surprise me if the kid gets out at some point, my brother made me do it.

BC had the opportunity to off OBL but rules of engagement - no kids get killed - well look who took after daddy? Thankfully he and dad got what they deserved.

Doc none of your proposals will survive - DMac is correct - do you honestly believe the Philly guy was using legal, properly stored guns, check out Chicago for legally, properly stored guns. Take a drive to Tijuana - gun salad and cheap. You are not gonna stop that but what you are gonna do is create a very large and hostile crowd who are responsible and rationale.
You must have me confused with someone else because I don’t believe all guns should be banned. We need more reasonable control and more than anything a change in gun culture. I don’t want a general weapons ban. You must have me confused with someone else. For every cowboy that likes to play with guns, 85 ordinary citizens want some form of control.

Nice to see that you support extra judicial killing in the USA.
“I wish you would!”
LandM

Post by LandM »

TLD,
You referenced Philly police bombing - I googled it - 1985, MOVE. All I said was there was a much easier method to avoid that situation. Used the example of the nutball who holed himself in a boat after killing at least 4 people, and injuring 264 others. Required how many hours of police time, court time and your tax dollars get to pay for said killer to have a life. Guessing he will be using the brother excuse before my lifetime is up.

Love to see your stat on 85 to 1 - all the polls said Trump was not gonna be President yet here we are.

You made a bad assumption about me on extrajudicial killing.
Typical Lax Dad

LandM wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:51 am TLD,
You referenced Philly police bombing - I googled it - 1985, MOVE. All I said was there was a much easier method to avoid that situation. Used the example of the nutball who holed himself in a boat after killing at least 4 people, and injuring 264 others. Required how many hours of police time, court time and your tax dollars get to pay for said killer to have a life. Guessing he will be using the brother excuse before my lifetime is up.

Love to see your stat on 85 to 1 - all the polls said Trump was not gonna be President yet here we are.

You made a bad assumption about me on extrajudicial killing.
Trump was pretty much always within the margin of error and the trend was in his favor late. I don’t rely on “headlines”. As for extra judicial killing, I may have misread your post about blowing up the boat in the backyard with the suspect in it. If I did, my mistake.
Last edited by Typical Lax Dad on Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“I wish you would!”
old salt

Post by old salt »

ardilla secreta wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:56 am That section is north of Temple. Closer to LaSalle U.
TV is saying it's near Temple campus & showing Temple's red & white " T " logo on med ctr entrance.
old salt

Post by old salt »

foreverlax wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:30 am
old salt wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:08 am Bring in Mumia to negotiate.

Great recruiting look for Temple.
...odd sense of humor
Better than no sense of humor. TV is linking the location to Temple's campus.
The Mumia ref was in reply to this :
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:58 pm Shooter holed up in Philly..... the police dept. should drop a bomb on him like the last situation in Philly.
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

old salt wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:34 pm

...odd sense of humor
Better than no sense of humor. No. When you have to explain why something is funny, it's most likely not.TV is linking the location to Temple's campus.
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:58 pm Shooter holed up in Philly..... the police dept. should drop a bomb on him like the last situation in Philly.
old salt

Post by old salt »

foreverlax wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:37 pm

...odd sense of humor
Better than no sense of humor. No. When you have to explain why something is funny, it's most likely not.TV is linking the location to Temple's campus.
Pointing out the premise & why it was not odd.
Not explaining why it was funny, or not.
Typical Lax Dad

old salt wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:47 pm

...odd sense of humor
Was it not widely known that the Philadelphia police dropped a bomb on a holed up suspect? I am not sure many people found a nexus between this shooter and Temple? You know what is a bad look? The terrorist in the US Coast Guard....that’s a bad look.
“I wish you would!”
old salt

Post by old salt »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:52 pm

...odd sense of humor
Was it not widely known that the Philadelphia police dropped a bomb on a holed up suspect? I am not sure many people found a nexus between this shooter and Temple? You know what is a bad look? The terrorist in the US Coast Guard....that’s a bad look.
If you say so, finding reason to say something negative about the Philly PD when they appear to have performed professionally.
You might think they were just being uppity.

Good look for the Coast Guard for identifying him & helping lock him up while he was still in the wannabe stage.
Typical Lax Dad

old salt wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:12 pm

...odd sense of humor
If you say so, finding reason to say something negative about the Philly PD when they appear to have performed professionally.

Good look for the Coast Guard for identifying him & helping lock him up while he was still in the wannabe stage.
They thought they were performing professionally when they dropped a bomb in that neighborhood....my comment was before the ordeal ended, sport. I am glad they got another criminal off the streets....as for that terrorist, it’s a bad look for the US Coast Guard....you disagree?
“I wish you would!”
old salt

Post by old salt »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:20 pm

...odd sense of humor

They thought they were performing professionally when they dropped a bomb in that neighborhood....my comment was before the ordeal ended, sport. I am glad they got another criminal off the streets....as for that terrorist, it’s a bad look for the US Coast Guard....you disagree?
Of course you know I was referring to the Philly PD's performance in this incident.
...but you couldn't wait to slime the cops.

I think it was a net positive for the USCG to identify a potential threat & remove him before anyone was harmed.
It's an example for what other employers, co-workers, families & acquaintances should do.
He's not a terrorist until/unless he acts.
Typical Lax Dad

old salt wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:41 pm

...odd sense of humor

Of course you know I was referring to the Philly PD's performance in this incident.

I think it was a net positive for the USCG to identify a potential threat & remove him before anyone was harmed.
It's an example for what other employers, co-workers, families & acquaintances should do.
My bad, the potential terrorist was a bad look for the coast guard....you agree? Philly PD did a good job. Hopefully the perpetrator is taken off the street for a long time. I would imagine this is not his first rodeo. As for what others should do, I hold the USCG to a higher standard than Clem down the block.... but I know what you mean.
“I wish you would!”
old salt

Post by old salt »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:49 pm

...odd sense of humor

My bad, the potential terrorist was a bad look for the coast guard....you agree? Philly PD did a good job. Hopefully the perpetrator is taken off the street for a long time. I would imagine this is not his first rodeo. As for what others should do, I hold the USCG to a higher standard than Clem down the block.... but I know what you mean.
You overestimate the ability of the USCG, or any military service, to weed out 100% of the potential bad apples in advance.
...look at how many NCIS & JAG tv spin offs there are, ...as if they were anywhere near representative of reality.
Typical Lax Dad

old salt wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:54 pm

...odd sense of humor

You overestimate the ability of the USCG, or any military service, to weed out 100% of the potential bad apples in advance.
...look at how many NCIS & JAG tv spin offs there are, ...as if they were anywhere near representative of reality.
You didn't understand what I wrote ( or purposely steered away from my point). I stated that I hold the USCG to a higher standard than the average man on the street (vis-a-vis turning in suspected criminals). Do you not expect more our of the USMC than Lenny down the block? I didn't say I expect 0 defects......Not a good look for the USCG but they did a good job handling it.
“I wish you would!”
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
old salt

Post by old salt »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:14 pm

...odd sense of humor

You didn't understand what I wrote ( or purposely steered away from my point). I stated that I hold the USCG to a higher standard than the average man on the street (vis-a-vis turning in suspected criminals). Do you not expect more our of the USMC than Lenny down the block? I didn't say I expect 0 defects......Not a good look for the USCG but they did a good job handling it.
I don't understand the relevancy of linking the USCG to this discussion, for any reason.
Typical Lax Dad

old salt wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:25 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:14 pm

...odd sense of humor

I don't understand the relevancy of linking the USCG to this discussion, for any reason.
I didn't understand the relevancy of Temple University and a "bad look", so I thought of something that was a good example of a bad look.... you don't think that was a bad look? The accused terrorist was a member of the USCG..... that drug dealer in North Philly had nothing to do with Temple unless you are telling me he was taking classes there.
“I wish you would!”
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

get it to x wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:48 am USA is #1 in gun ownership and #104 in violent crime. Great Britain has virtually no private gun ownership (possession of handguns is illegal) and yet USA has less than 1/4 the number of violent crimes per 100,000 people. Correlation?

Many are calling for a sharp knife ban in England. Next we will have to bubble wrap everyone so 100% safety is assured. :roll:
That is, of course, a nonsensical analysis. The appropriate data to be examining is the firearm death rate. On that list, the United States is alone in the top 20 among economically advanced and developed nations. You won’t find any European nations or the developed nations of Asia in that top 20 list.

Who else is in the top 20 firearms death rate list with the United States? Some US territories (US Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico), but also Afghanistan, Guyana, Mexico, El Salvador, Colombia, Jamaica ... you get the picture.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/health/the ... u-s-stands

That’s not a top 20 list the United States should be on. Those who support the gun industry and America’s idolatrous gun culture are morally complicit in the over 37,000 annual gun deaths in our nation.

DocBarrister :|
@DocBarrister

Return to “POLITICS”