Sensible Gun Safety

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
kramerica.inc

Re: Sensible Gun Control

Post by kramerica.inc »

I hear ya about sound of a pump shotgun. If you were dealing with normal people.
But many encourage you to keep the pump ready to roll, so you don't give away your position in the house and keep the element of surprise.
Because usually the people doing the B&E are not normal people. Most are desperate or whacked out on drugs.
LandM

Post by LandM »

DMac,
In Traverse City seeing mom upright for probably the last time, dementia is a bad thing. New brother-in-law was a gunners mate - now that boy handled some armament :D . He is telling me about his personal cache. Walk into garage, boxes everywhere. Lifts up a sheet painted like boxes, key codes and whammo, eyes become saucers. Buying cigars today, hunting camp tomorrow and having some fun :lol:. 20 miles outside of town and in nowhere.

CU77, rationale people doing rationale things. The only person with access to his safe is my sister. Same with me and my walking partner.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Yes sir, those boys play with big bullets.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9nF_D_kWOg
Am sure it will be an interesting afternoon/evening hanging out with the Gunner's Mate and his toys.

Had a pretty interesting experience on the Intrepid. One of the Navy's old ladies had served her purpose, lived her life, pretty sure it was an old destroyer..might have been a frigate, can't really remember..so she was going to be buried at sea. They towed her out to be used as target practice and sunk. Firing the big guns at her (bigger than the one in the video) BOOM-BOOM-BOOM-BOOM-BOOM, whole ship rattles when they fire those big boys off. Helos dropping stuff by her, jets dropping bombs on her. They blasted the hell out of that boat and I'll tell you this, it aint easy to sink a Navy ship. That went on for a couple of hours....highly entertaining stuff!!
CU77

Post by CU77 »

get it to x wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:42 am Studies have shown that guns in the hands of responsible citizens save more than 80 times the number of lives lost to gun crimes.
Please cite a source.

I posted data earlier in this thread that showed the actual number is closer to 1/4.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

LandM wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:42 am CU77, rationale people doing rationale things. The only person with access to his safe is my sister. Same with me and my walking partner.
And so how is this armament going to save you when your home is broken into? Are you going to ask the intruders to please wait while you open the safe?
LandM

Post by LandM »

CU77,
Two hairy four legged kids. If the dog does not get you, the cat will. No guns in our house, not allowed by wife. When your time is up, it is up.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Sorry, I read your post as saying that you had a gun safe with guns in it.

So I now have no idea what you were trying to say about guns and their utility.
LandM

Post by LandM »

CU77,
Guns in Canandaigua are kept at my walking partners house, no guns in CO or home on wheels. The only two who can key in are me or walking partner; both spouses - NOPE as they hate them but since mine is more adamant, he has the vault. At my sisters house only my brother-in-law and sister can key in. Being rationale and responsible. BTW do not lock doors except CO as we rent the place out occasionally, cars are left open to. Not one issue.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

And so why does your walking partner have the vault? What purpose does he think it serves to have guns in a vault?
LandM

Post by LandM »

So we can have fun and a nutball does not get ahold of them. My wife and you would get along on this. Grew up with them, played with them and not giving them up. I hate golf, although I have to play a few times every year, sponsorship stuff. I am good for nine then hit the 19th hole......I am good for about the same amount of time - always safe, on private property and way more fun to me :lol:
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Fun. So you can have "fun".

Take a look at this picture:

This is Veronika Elizabeth Weiss. Five years ago, on the last day of her life, she was shot seven times, "in the chest and lower pelvic area" (per the coroner's report) by a nutjob who also shot up 9 other people during his rampage. He hated women because they wouldn't f*** him, and was out to kill as many as possible.

This happened less than a mile from my office.

It would have been far worse if another young woman (name unknown) had opened the door to her sorority when the killer knocked; he was out to kill as many women as possible. Some premonition told her not to open the door that day. I'm sure that young woman, and all the others in her sorority, have thought about this every single day, and will for the rest of their lives.

But hey, your "fun" is totally worth it! Everyone needs to have full access to weapons of mass destruction. Can't interfere with "fun"! No siree.
DMac

Post by DMac »

That's over the top, 77, I don't think many people are saying everyone should have access to weapons of mass destruction (and I know your sarcasm font is on here). Guns are fun and that's what most of the hundreds of millions in the country are used for. Unfortunately we have a few bad apples in our barrel of people. What to do?
LandM

Post by LandM »

CU77,
Next week I make my annual pilgrimage to Arlington and see two friends then fly to Dallas and pick up my son and drive to Sugarland, TX. My son is named after him and then I see my adopted kids for a few days and head home. Yep, it stays with you every day. I am the last person to make light of unfortunate situations like this young person who had her whole life ahead of her. In friends situations and hers, certainly blame the politicians or blame the circumstance, or the gun or whatever you want including the taxpayer that voted for the politician, it does not bring them back. Lots of blame that can go around.

If you honestly believe you are going to take a ranchers gun in NV, good luck. I keep using the words responsible and rationale. Every gun owner I know we operate with the utmost care,fire in the middle of nowhere, and ensure everything is maintained, cared for and properly stored. Responsible and rationale. Why punish us over nutballs?

Lots of ways someone can try and fix the issue but IMHO outlawing them is not one of them as then you may have a gunfight on your hands.
Best
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Shooter holed up in Philly..... the police dept. should drop a bomb on him like the last situation in Philly.
“I wish you would!”
old salt

Post by old salt »

Bring in Mumia to negotiate.

Great recruiting look for Temple.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

DMac wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:45 pm That's over the top, 77, I don't think many people are saying everyone should have access to weapons of mass destruction (and I know your sarcasm font is on here). Guns are fun and that's what most of the hundreds of millions in the country are used for. Unfortunately we have a few bad apples in our barrel of people. What to do?
It’s not a “few bad apples,” it is A LARGE NUMBER OF BAD APPLES.

What to do?

Ban all assault-style rifles.
Ban all semiautomatic weapons.
Ban all handguns.
Require background checks for all gun transactions.
Require all gun owners to be licensed and all guns to be registered.
Require all ammunition to have unique identifiers that are registered to specific licensed gun owners.
Require all registered guns to be stored in police lockers and then signed out when gun owners want to have “fun” hunting or at the gun range ... with instant background checks each time (exception: special licenses for rural dwellers who rely on non-semiautomatic rifles and shotguns for subsistence hunting and self-defense against wildlife).
Impose massive taxes on all gun purchases to offset the high societal costs of gun violence.

Do all of that, and you could cut down gun deaths by around 30,000 a year.

More than worth it.

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
LandM

Post by LandM »

TLD,
When the nut job with his brother used a pressure cooker (maybe we should ban them as well) and holed up on the backyard stored boat - all this live coverage with 100's of police officers my wife asked what would you do. Small little armament strategically placed, boat is gone but it saves the taxpayer allot of money. Would not surprise me if the kid gets out at some point, my brother made me do it.

BC had the opportunity to off OBL but rules of engagement - no kids get killed - well look who took after daddy? Thankfully he and dad got what they deserved.

Doc none of your proposals will survive - DMac is correct - do you honestly believe the Philly guy was using legal, properly stored guns, check out Chicago for legally, properly stored guns. Take a drive to Tijuana - gun salad and cheap. You are not gonna stop that but what you are gonna do is create a very large and hostile crowd who are responsible and rationale.
DMac

Post by DMac »

DocBarrister wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:44 am
DMac wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:45 pm That's over the top, 77, I don't think many people are saying everyone should have access to weapons of mass destruction (and I know your sarcasm font is on here). Guns are fun and that's what most of the hundreds of millions in the country are used for. Unfortunately we have a few bad apples in our barrel of people. What to do?
It’s not a “few bad apples,” it is A LARGE NUMBER OF BAD APPLES.

What to do?

Ban all assault-style rifles.
Ban all semiautomatic weapons.
Ban all handguns.
Require background checks for all gun transactions.
Require all gun owners to be licensed and all guns to be registered.
Require all ammunition to have unique identifiers that are registered to specific licensed gun owners.
Require all registered guns to be stored in police lockers and then signed out when gun owners want to have “fun” hunting or at the gun range ... with instant background checks each time (exception: special licenses for rural dwellers who rely on non-semiautomatic rifles and shotguns for subsistence hunting and self-defense against wildlife).
Impose massive taxes on all gun purchases to offset the high societal costs of gun violence.

Do all of that, and you could cut down gun deaths by around 30,000 a year.

More than worth it.

DocBarrister 8-)
I should have done a better job with the wording of the question.
What, realistically, to do?

Do your recommendations go into effect after we gather up the 350-400,000,000 guns along with the trillions of rounds of ammo so we can start all over again at zero?
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

old salt wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:08 am Bring in Mumia to negotiate.

Great recruiting look for Temple.
...odd sense of humor
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

USA is #1 in gun ownership and #104 in violent crime. Great Britain has virtually no private gun ownership (possession of handguns is illegal) and yet USA has less than 1/4 the number of violent crimes per 100,000 people. Correlation?

Many are calling for a sharp knife ban in England. Next we will have to bubble wrap everyone so 100% safety is assured. :roll:
"I would never want to belong to a club that would have me as a member", Groucho Marx

Return to “POLITICS”