Loyola University Lacrosse 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
thatsmell

Re: Loyola University Lacrosse 2020

Post by thatsmell »

Being in ANY part of Baltimore City will have it's issues. No matter where you are, you will always have something that borders poverty, and crime.
Loyola's issue is mostly to the East. York Rd before it changes to Greenmount.

Any time kids are mugged it happens when they walk south on York Road from the bars on Belvedere Sq. Loyola is fortunate it has buffer neighborhoods of Homeland and Kerneway between the formal campus and York. But the issues still remain because the area still gets traversed by students, usually after a few beers.

Hopkins is a tad further South and their issues are to the east and south. They are fortunate that Hampden has gentrified the last few years. But they are still close to N Ave which is a warzone.
I never knew no Godfather. I got my own family, Senator."
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

I don’t know about now but 25th Street was usually as far as anyone ventured on foot. North Ave is 19th Street in s numerical ordering. Six blocks or less is not far if you are desperate for money.

Schools like Yale, Columbia, USC etc all have similar issues. The list is lengthy
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

The reality is, Both Hopkins and Loyola have young, unknowing (possibly intoxicated), wealthy(er) kids from out of town, just a few blocks away.

Both universities are a target rich environment for those desperate for an easy buck or looking to do such crimes.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

OCanada wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:34 pm I don’t know about now but 25th Street was usually as far as anyone ventured on foot. North Ave is 19th Street in s numerical ordering. Six blocks or less is not far if you are desperate for money.

Schools like Yale, Columbia, USC etc all have similar issues. The list is lengthy
Yale has gentrified out quite a bit over the last 25 years, you have to really have no idea where you are going to wander into bad areas these days, though of course they are still there and are spaced throughout New Haven. Columbia area is still rough, can’t say anything about USC.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

I was last in New Haven over 15 tears ago. Did a drive through campus but that was it. Thx for the update
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

pcowlax wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:24 pm
OCanada wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:34 pm I don’t know about now but 25th Street was usually as far as anyone ventured on foot. North Ave is 19th Street in s numerical ordering. Six blocks or less is not far if you are desperate for money.

Yale has gentrified out quite a bit over the last 25 years, you have to really have no idea where you are going to wander into bad areas these days, though of course they are still there and are spaced throughout New Haven. Columbia area is still rough, can’t say anything about USC.
University of Pennsylvania is another one
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Notwithstanding the fact that for Hopkins the unsafe areas are only those on the east, south, and west sides of campus (the only safe exit is their north side, which leads to Loyola), the other woefully inadequately safe campus in America is Trinity College in Hartford CT. I mean, this school gives Hop a run for its money, so to speak. Trinity doesn't even have the one safe relief side valve that Hop does with its north; Trinity is surrounded 360-degrees by abject gang-bangin' nuttiness.

If I had kids and they demanded to attend Trinity, I'd consider dropping them in via parachute. Of course, Hopkins is not too different than that, let's be honest here.

;)
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Peter Brown wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:48 pm Notwithstanding the fact that for Hopkins the unsafe areas are only those on the east, south, and west sides of campus (the only safe exit is their north side, which leads to Loyola), the other woefully inadequately safe campus in America is Trinity College in Hartford CT. I mean, this school gives Hop a run for its money, so to speak. Trinity doesn't even have the one safe relief side valve that Hop does with its north; Trinity is surrounded 360-degrees by abject gang-bangin' nuttiness.

If I had kids and they demanded to attend Trinity, I'd consider dropping them in via parachute. Of course, Hopkins is not too different than that, let's be honest here.

;)
Does Homewood have a parking lot next to field to pull into ? Might have to rent a Range Rover Sentinel for that road trip
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Yes there is a parking garage close by on San Martin Drive
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Can we switch this back to lacrosse... you know the whole point of this forum website, instead of being passive-aggressive between two neighboring schools in the middle of baltimore? Instead of getting political or waging attacks against demographics/school locations of said school, how about we actually put more energy into the discussion of who comes back for both school's teams? How about we discuss the matchup next year at Ridley that will happen around Feb 18-20th where hopefully it doesn't snow again?

Talk about Toomey and how he usually finds diamonds in the rough on the recruiting trail while Petro takes the blue chips to form stacked teams. Talk about their coaching staffs and how they might develop the kids they recruit. IDK talk about schemes, how/why each team didn't get as far as they wanted to in previous seasons with the talent they had. Talk about incoming recruits who can make an impact, geez anything lacrosse related regarding Johns Hopkins and Loyola Maryland.

Edit: yes i know this is already discussed ad nauseum on every school's forum but still, it's better to read insight and analysis of us arm chair quarterbacks about our teams we root for, than reading posts about campus safety/ student demographics / security.
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

houndace1 wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:32 pm Can we switch this back to lacrosse... you know the whole point of this forum website, instead of being passive-aggressive between two neighboring schools in the middle of baltimore? Instead of getting political or waging attacks against demographics/school locations of said school, how about we actually put more energy into the discussion of who comes back for both school's teams? How about we discuss the matchup next year at Ridley that will happen around Feb 18-20th where hopefully it doesn't snow again?

Talk about Toomey and how he usually finds diamonds in the rough on the recruiting trail while Petro takes the blue chips to form stacked teams. Talk about their coaching staffs and how they might develop the kids they recruit. IDK talk about schemes, how/why each team didn't get as far as they wanted to in previous seasons with the talent they had. Talk about incoming recruits who can make an impact, geez anything lacrosse related regarding Johns Hopkins and Loyola Maryland.

Edit: yes i know this is already discussed ad nauseum on every school's forum but still, it's better to read insight and analysis of us arm chair quarterbacks about our teams we root for, than reading posts about campus safety/ student demographics / security.
you're not very familiar with the hopkins thread. granted, it's been dormant lately, but still...
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

houndace1 wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:32 pm how about we actually put more energy into the discussion of who comes back for both school's teams?
loyola thread... defense will be top 5 (sorry, top 3), though they were 29 last year and couldn't keep up with yale with spencer scoring every time on offense and losing maybe the best goalie in div 1 without a known replacement... because they have most all the same defenders back and the fogo beat army and lafayette at faceoffs late in the year.

offense will be better even though they lose 2/3 of the production, no mids back with over 7 goals, losing arguably the best attackman in the nc$$ for a while, the 2nd most productive frosh mid ever, and their 2 main guys back already having had huge years in '19.
gonna be yuuuge.

also, hopkins is gonna be awesome.
they have a lot of ua's.
molo

Post by molo »

Pretty early but accurate prediction. Last year Loyola started strong with convincing wins over UVA and JHU despite the shortcomings revealed in the Towson loss. They stumbled a bit in conference play but rallied to knock SU out of the NCAAT.
With the loss of their best player ever, a solid goalie, and the guy who would have been their best returning player, they may need to win the PL to make the NCAAT unless they upset some OOC foes.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

wgdsr wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:18 pm
houndace1 wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:32 pm how about we actually put more energy into the discussion of who comes back for both school's teams?
loyola thread... defense will be top 5 (sorry, top 3), though they were 29 last year and couldn't keep up with yale with spencer scoring every time on offense and losing maybe the best goalie in div 1 without a known replacement... because they have most all the same defenders back and the fogo beat army and lafayette at faceoffs late in the year.

offense will be better even though they lose 2/3 of the production, no mids back with over 7 goals, losing arguably the best attackman in the nc$$ for a while, the 2nd most productive frosh mid ever, and their 2 main guys back already having had huge years in '19.
gonna be yuuuge.

also, hopkins is gonna be awesome.
they have a lot of ua's.

Sarcasm alert above.

That Wahoo beatdown can not happen soon enough; it'll be uglier than Garden City beating New Hyde Park 34-0!

Let's go Hounds!!
Last edited by Peter Brown on Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

molo wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:06 pm Pretty early but accurate prediction. Last year Loyola started strong with convincing wins over UVA and JHU despite the shortcomings revealed in the Towson loss. They stumbled a bit in conference play but rallied to knock SU out of the NCAAT.
With the loss of their best player ever, a solid goalie, and the guy who would have been their best returning player, they may need to win the PL to make the NCAAT unless they upset some OOC foes.

:lol:

Molo knows as much about Loyola as I do about dress shopping.

Release the Kracken, boys!
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

houndace1 wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:32 pm Can we switch this back to lacrosse... you know the whole point of this forum website, instead of being passive-aggressive between two neighboring schools in the middle of baltimore? Instead of getting political or waging attacks against demographics/school locations of said school, how about we actually put more energy into the discussion of who comes back for both school's teams? How about we discuss the matchup next year at Ridley that will happen around Feb 18-20th where hopefully it doesn't snow again?

Houndace1: you got to stomp on these blue yahoo's when they are down, and never let them up. We can talk lax all day long, but right now, before school has even begun, and a week now removed from Lake Placid, there is only one item on my agenda, and that is throwing gasoline on the dumpster fire known as Blue Jay lacrosse. Whatever angle we can find, let's exploit, and then drive their page count back to zero.

I say we beat them this year by more than 6 like last year...what do you think? I'm still smarting from our girl's losing to their girl's team. Talk about an upset.
NovaHound

Post by NovaHound »

Nah, not worth the energy... :lol: Hopkins :?:
NovaHound

Post by NovaHound »

But I am excited about the upcoming season. Lot of returning starters. Can't talk about what Hounds lost to graduation. New team. Gonna be exciting. Have heard that Pridemore has slimmed down which has to improve his quickness. Also hear the trip to Portugal was awesome for the team and really bonded an already "tight/close" locker room.

Will be interesting to see the incoming Frosh in a few of the Fall scrimmages.

And that's all I got.... ;)
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

NovaHound wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:25 am But I am excited about the upcoming season. Lot of returning starters. Can't talk about what Hounds lost to graduation. New team. Gonna be exciting. Have heard that Pridemore has slimmed down which has to improve his quickness. Also hear the trip to Portugal was awesome for the team and really bonded an already "tight/close" locker room.

Will be interesting to see the incoming Frosh in a few of the Fall scrimmages.

And that's all I got.... ;)
Did you see the new bus that the school revealed yesterday on their social media pages? Its muchhh better than what the athletic teams used to travel in for away games
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

molo wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:06 pm Loyola may need to win the PL to make the NCAAT unless they upset some OOC foes.
Yup, another, regular year for the Hounds and any team outside of the ACC and Big 10.

:lol:

Personally excited to see the new-look Hounds. Lots of good, young talent and some underrated guys coming back.
I never knew no Godfather. I got my own family, Senator."

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”