Johns Hopkins 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
OCanada

Re: Johns Hopkins 2020

Post by OCanada »

The answer to your first question yes. It should be quite something and a valuable addition.

As to the rest I don’t know but will ask when I can. I can’t speak to the administrative structure anymore. I don’t know enough
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

With a new AD announced, guess Petro better win the 'ship or he may be rolling over his 403(b).
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

I'm not as concerned about the structure - all 3 people were in fairly similar positions at the university so this is some shuffling to give 2 of the 3 people fancier titles and likely a bit more money.

And a nice troll by forever.... but Ms. Baker does need to address the elephant in the room (this is not a reference to Petro's weight or meant to denigrate women's lax or the DIII sports) that is the head coach of the athletic team that still matters to more than the others. We are what - 3 to 4 months from the signing period for the 2020 class? We are 3 and half weeks or so from potential announcements on 2021's? I would think those young men and their parents would want to know what is going on - maybe they already do - but unlike some other things - I don't see the benefit of keeping it a secret if decisions have been made. If you are extending him - announce it loud and proud - if you are not - or waiting for 2020 (and I am sorry - there is nothing that is going to be exceptionally different about this team from last year and there are at least two obvious juggernauts for next year - UVA and Penn State) then Plan B better be something.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

New AD sounds highly qualified. Congratulations to both her and Hopkins.

New AD still reports to the old AD, so not sure there will be any major changes.

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

SteelHop. My daughter’s spouse is AD at an educationally same tier Dllll school. An internal hire w/o a national search as far as they knew. All but one AD was an internal hire in recent times. Scottie, Calder were both internal and now this one.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

pcowlax wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:27 am
44WeWantMore wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:32 am Take care, with thy harpooning.
It is customary to have two harpoons reposing in the crotch, respectively called the first and second irons.

But these two harpoons, each by its own cord, are both connected with the line; the object being this: to dart them both, if possible, one instantly after the other into the same whale; so that if, in the coming drag, one should draw out, the other may still retain a hold. It is a doubling of the chances. But it very often happens that owing to the instantaneous, violent, convulsive running of the whale upon receiving the first iron, it becomes impossible for the harpooneer, however lightning-like in his movements, to pitch the second iron into him. Nevertheless, as the second iron is already connected with the line, and the line is running, hence that weapon must, at all events, be anticipatingly tossed out of the boat, somehow and somewhere; else the most terrible jeopardy would involve all hands. Tumbled into the water, it accordingly is in such cases; the spare coils of box line (mentioned in a preceding chapter) making this feat, in most instances, prudently practicable. But this critical act is not always unattended with the saddest and most fatal casualties.
Melville?
The double negative give it away?
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Read it back in the day on, as cliche as this is, a summer on Nantucket and the Cape. Dense, dense, but beautiful writing and any nautical description of the boat or the hunt/hunting is pretty distinct.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Harpoon and crotch.

Ouch.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

steel_hop wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:29 am
OCanada wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:32 pm UA has had its problems in the last few years.

Alanna is working on a major impact project on campus in addition to her normal duties.

I was wondering when the press release would come out
So do you mean to say that Alanna was in charge of the new Student Center going up (or will go up) where or near the Mattins Center?

Honestly, the entire move raises all kinds of questions.
1) Reading this link https://hub.jhu.edu/2019/08/06/student- ... tructuring demonstrates why college education costs outpace inflation. Does one really need a vice provost for student health and well-being when you have a vice provost for student affairs which doesn't even cover the Dean of Student Life's role.

2) Why wasn't the AD opening publicily announced and outside candidates looked at? We couldn't find another Daniels lapdog out there? I am sure there are plenty.
-only metric for success of a hopkins ad is what happens to the men on memorial day. period. nothing against what the baseball team did against gettysburg. Also give the men the Hopkins lacrosse social media handles. No one hears Hopkins lacrosse and thinks janine tucker.
-"hopkins student life" is an oxymoron. Brody spent his entire Presidency running task forces to address this+they created matin center-not great and razed the row houses pushing off campus student living further away. This led to increased security costs and major issues with neighbors not thrilled with relocated students throwing parties.
-student wellness (suicide prevention) is important, but that's not a vice provost level job. Hopkins is one of the most expensive schools on the planet in part because of all these goofy titles they create to throw on brochures designed purely to appeal to affluent mothers, and the pc crowd.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Very myopic take on the position of AD. It’s far more comprehensive than merely men’s lax on Memorial Day. The
jhu7276

Post by jhu7276 »

JHU has never emphasized "student health"...as I've said many times before Baltimore and JHU are NOT for everyone...

unless I'm totally out of touch with reality students don't go to JHU for the frills....it's a very serious academic place
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Truth
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

jhu7276 wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:48 pm JHU has never emphasized "student health"...as I've said many times before Baltimore and JHU are NOT for everyone...

unless I'm totally out of touch with reality students don't go to JHU for the frills....it's a very serious academic place
That's not the attitude to take when our fearless leaders are seeking a USN&WR Top-10 ranking.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

jhu7276 wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:48 pm JHU has never emphasized "student health"...as I've said many times before Baltimore and JHU are NOT for everyone...

This is slowly changing for the better. Johns Hopkins will never be a “lifestyle” school, but from all reports life is improving there. More women and greater diversity have made Hopkins a more pleasant and enjoyable place. Student amenities are getting better, and the new student center will be a game changer. Add need-blind admissions and Johns Hopkins is becoming a first choice for more students each year.

Hopkins isn’t the same lovable grind it used to be ... a good thing.

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
HowieT3

Post by HowieT3 »

No student, regardless of the level of seriousness, wants to be at a place where the ceiling is falling down around them. Is having a Recreation Center with treadmills, etc., for free student use really that much of a frill, especially since there's no commercial counterpart in Charles Village? You'd probably be surprised how much it is used. Is having more quiet places to study or meeting rooms for joint projects a frill? One person's "frill" is another person's "basic, universal amenity". The whole school doesn't fit in AMR's I and II anymore.
DocBarrister wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:40 amThis is slowly changing for the better. Johns Hopkins will never be a “lifestyle” school, but from all reports life is improving there. More women and greater diversity have made Hopkins a more pleasant and enjoyable place. Student amenities are getting better, and the new student center will be a game changer. Add need-blind admissions and Johns Hopkins is becoming a first choice for more students each year.

Hopkins isn’t the same lovable grind it used to be ... a good thing.

DocBarrister 8-)
Bloomberg's most recent donation will definitely help with making admissions more need-blind.
52 70 72 99
03 06 11 19 21
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

The cutthroat, super competitive reputation that the school has really only exists for a select few majors, almost all of them in the sciences. My undergrad experience in the humanities was extremely rewarding and, while difficult, not at all cutthroat. The majors/minors that the vast majority of the lacrosse teams partake in—economics, political science, finance, business, international relations, etc.—are by no means "easy" but they are a far cry from biomedical engineering. Maybe it was the friend group I found myself in, but when I was there, people seemed stressed the normal amount, but they also knew how to have fun. It seemed like a pretty balanced college experience. That said, the student center is much-needed and while I don't think "recruiting better SSDMs" was among its stated goals, it probably can't hurt to have a nice new building on campus to hang out in that isn't the dungeon-like library (though from what I gather, the team spends most of its time on campus in the Cordish center anyway).

Pat Foley was part of the team that won the Lake Placid tournament that also included Tehoka Nanticoke and several other current D1 players. I have no idea what, if anything, this means for his playing status. With the team due to report in a couple weeks, my guess is this has been settled already, but no one in the know wants to share. I guess we'll find out soon enough if #8 will be back for a final hurrah. I certainly hope he is—he really turned his play up a notch toward the end of the season, looking at times like a man possessed. Kid wanted to win. So I hope he gets a chance to carry that over into the spring of 2020. If not, Rapine and Colwell will have to step up and there will be no shortage of talented (if unproven) options to replace him on the close D unit.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Lacrosse, the economics of education and the importance of the undergrad degree have all experienced significant change not only since I attended but in the last 20 years.

The new student union will cost tens of millions and be a huge addition for students.

The expansion along the east side of campus will continue as the school builds on its UPenn approach to development and the student community. I had a roommate stabbed on Calvert near Union Memorial. Lucky to survive. It’s been an issue for a very long time. At one time there was a lot of hostility to the university. That has been mitigated to an extent but the issues of poverty have become stronger in recent times for reasons beyond the university’s control so other approaches are being implemented

I expect a big improvement to the PT facilities. They l ow it needs to be upgraded.

They will all help with recruiting but the Bloomberg consign will provide the soonest impact.

At the moment the private schools with out an endowment that has the critical mass tonprovide meed based side are at a disadvantage to the large state universities and the schools with large enough endowment to be purely need based.

Expensive private schools like Cuse or Hopkins have an uphill slog.

Run the numbers. There are 12.6 athletic scholarships. Compare Hopkins’ costs with PSU or OSU or VA or UNC etc. especially if they can arrange in state tuition. The huge endowments like Yale that can guarantee students won’t have debt when they graduate also have a huge advantage.., over everyone. The power of economics. Purchasing power in the USA is at about the same level as it was 40!years ago. The 2008 recession was a serious event in this context. It is an important date.

It was in the 1980s an alum with sims that would go on to be first teamers and win a title said he would be insane to pay more than 100k per for his kids to go to Hopkins especially as the BA degree was beginning to lose value.

If I were a undergrad I would do a thesis on it. Just tried to hit a few highlights

As Howie observed
johnnyonthegunpowder

Post by johnnyonthegunpowder »

The hokeyness of the PLL and youtube culture of lacrosse lead by Rabil and Harrison nicely mirrors with the demise of the Hopkins image. Put aside the facts of wins and losses, it's the image and idea of Hopkins that needs a life raft more than anything. I mentioned this a while ago, but I think the PLL will turn people off to lacrosse; I think Hopkins is feeling the ripples of the cringe inducing lacrosse media. They are turning lacrosse into ultimate frisbee and fidget spinners, and I say this as someone who really enjoys Dude Perfect.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

OCanada wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:21 pm SteelHop. My daughter’s spouse is AD at an educationally same tier Dllll school. An internal hire w/o a national search as far as they knew. All but one AD was an internal hire in recent times. Scottie, Calder were both internal and now this one.
Thanks. Looking back my point was probably more harsh than it needed to be. And your point that 3 of the last 4 hires have been internal, two of those internal hires had long time ties to Hopkins. Bob Scott was around forever and so was TC. And given that they did a national search for TC's replacement, you would think they would do the same moving forward (also makes me wonder who they wanted to pass over within the department).

To hire someone that has some ties but didn't go to Hopkins and was only around for few years could raise concerns, especially in light of the fact they, didn't look at potential other options with stronger Hopkins connections. I guess my point is that it could be a concern and doesnt look good to hire someone with all of 2 years connection to the school without looking at options outside of the school. I'm biased but I'd wager a good deal that anyone with the gravitas that would want to come home to Homewood (someone in the late 30s or early 40s that has worked in other university ADs) doesn't like Daniels approach though I'll be honest I have no idea who that might be.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

OCanada wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:59 pm

The expansion along the east side of campus will continue as the school builds on its UPenn approach to development and the student community. I had a roommate stabbed on Calvert near Union Memorial. Lucky to survive. It’s been an issue for a very long time. At one time there was a lot of hostility to the university. That has been mitigated to an extent but the issues of poverty have become stronger in recent times for reasons beyond the university’s control so other approaches are being implemented
I don't like Trump in the least but he isn't that wrong with respect to Baltimore. I lived there for a number of years after graduation from Hopkins and I doubt there is enough money to pay me to move back - maybe enough to live in Federal Hill.

But, I've had numerous friends live in the less than ideal parts of DC, Boston, LA and NYC. Many have been mugged, you want to guess where they were mugged - in Baltimore. I know 2 friends that were mugged literally 40 feet from my house near the Schnap Shop and this was in the mid-90s. I doubt much has changed since then.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”