Sensible Gun Safety

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
MDlaxfan76

Re: Sensible Gun Control

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

CU77 wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:31 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:14 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:09 pm How is this guy still alive? Please explain. Walked into Walmart with two guns and body armor.....how is he not dead?

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/10/us/walma ... index.html
Indeed, in many a scenario the police would have shot first, asked questions later
Why? It's an open-carry state. The guy was totally within his rights.

This is what open-carry is supposed to be good for: plenty of good guys with guns to stop bad guys with guns.

We need many many more such guys in open-carry states.
We need a sarcasm emoji.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:09 pm How is this guy still alive? Please explain. Walked into Walmart with two guns and body armor.....how is he not dead?

Indeed, in many a scenario the police would have shot first, asked questions later...'small' difference being skin color...but am I being too sensitive?
It’s easy to get someone killed. It’s this easy:

Shopping...Walmart sells “pellet” guns....in an open Carry State.
“I wish you would!”
CU77

Post by CU77 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:33 pm
CU77 wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:31 pm It's an open-carry state. The guy was totally within his rights.

This is what open-carry is supposed to be good for: plenty of good guys with guns to stop bad guys with guns.

We need many many more such guys in open-carry states.
We need a sarcasm emoji.
No sarcasm at all. The residents of open-carry states should know what kind of society they've signed up for.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:45 pm

Indeed, in many a scenario the police would have shot first, asked questions later...'small' difference being skin color...but am I being too sensitive?

Yup. Painful to listen/watch.
Check out that video, CU77.
Typical Lax Dad

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:04 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:45 pm

Yup. Painful to listen/watch.
Check out that video, CU77.
Guy was on his way to a barbecue....stopped in Walmart....just talking on the phone and picked up a pellet gun that was laying on the shelf....it’s that easy to get someone killed. You see him posing a threat to anyone at all? The police supposedly were “afraid for their safety”. Came in with guns blazing. This guy had 0.3 seconds to “drop his weapon”....Another guy walks in with a rifle, handgun and body armor and he is probably at home eating wings and beer.
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

“I wish you would!”
DMac

Post by DMac »

Very sad as well as infuriating on a bunch of different levels. Am glad you asked the question, TLD. First time I've seen that video, while watching I was wondering wth he was doing cuz he sure didn't look like he was getting ready to shoot the place up to me (easy from the seat on my couch too).
If he were shooting the place up he could have done a whole lot of damage before the cops got there, they can't be everywhere all the time and that's why some/many feel they need to protect themselves and not count on anyone else to do it....you've got no time for that.
The interrogation is classic, you can end up in jail for many years as an innocent person through intimidation and a cop with blinders on focused only on you.
Talk to my lawyer, officer, cuz I aint sayin' jack to you.
(no offense intended to Trinity or 6X6...seem like mighty good people to me)
Typical Lax Dad

DMac wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:30 pm Very sad as well as infuriating on a bunch of different levels. Am glad you asked the question, TLD. First time I've seen that video, while watching I was wondering wth he was doing cuz he sure didn't look like he was getting ready to shoot the place up to me (easy from the seat on my couch too).
If he were shooting the place up he could have done a whole lot of damage before the cops got there, they can't be everywhere all the time and that's why some/many feel they need to protect themselves and not count on anyone else to do it....you've got no time for that.
The interrogation is classic, you can end up in jail for many years as an innocent person through intimidation and a cop with blinders on focused only on you.
Talk to my lawyer, officer, cuz I aint sayin' jack to you.
(no offense intended to Trinity or 6X6...seem like mighty good people to me)
Dude was at the store getting ready to go to a barbecue and picked up a pellet gun that was laying on the shelf. Police didn’t give him a chance to live. What was his crime? He’s dead.
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

Great police work here also.
“I wish you would!”
DMac

Post by DMac »

Being black and holding a pellet gun in Walmart is of absolutely no advantage. I'm not so sure it's all that much more advantageous to be white while holding a pellet gun in Walmart either. Cops come in all hyped up (gotta be, serious mission by all accounts from the info they've been given), adrenaline rushing, hammer back.
Can't say drop it and pull the trigger at the same time (virtually).
Whole thing is just awful.
Typical Lax Dad

DMac wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:04 pm Being black and holding a pellet gun in Walmart is of absolutely no advantage. I'm not so sure it's all that much more advantageous to be white while holding a pellet gun in Walmart either. Cops come in all hyped up (gotta be, serious mission by all accounts from the info they've been given), adrenaline rushing, hammer back.

Guy walked in to a Walmart with a rifle, handgun and body armor and is drinking bud lite tonight. Better training. Ohio is an open carry state. Set a perimeter and engage the suspect if nobody is in imminent danger. Bad policing. We have people in many jobs that are just not fit for what they do.
“I wish you would!”
CU77

Post by CU77 »

If people didn't have to be terrified of dudes with guns, these incidents wouldn't happen either.

But if the good citizens of open-carry states want to kill each other off, well, it's their choice.
Typical Lax Dad

CU77 wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:42 pm If people didn't have to be terrified of dudes with guns, these incidents wouldn't happen either.

But if the good citizens of open-carry states want to kill each other off, well, it's their choice.
The Walmart shopper in Ohio wasn’t carrying a weapon. He just happened to pick up a pellet gun that was misplaced on a shelf while his girlfriend was shopping. On the phone. Police never gave him a chance. That’s just crazy. I am shocked the guy walked into one a couple of days ago loaded up with weapons and police gave him a chance to live....the caller mis-characterized what was happening. May even call it lying.
“I wish you would!”
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

CU77 wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:42 pm If people didn't have to be terrified of dudes with guns, these incidents wouldn't happen either.

Do you feel the same way about the good citizens in Chicago where they want to kill each other and are no open carry laws?
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

DMac wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:04 pm Being black and holding a pellet gun in Walmart is of absolutely no advantage. I'm not so sure it's all that much more advantageous to be white while holding a pellet gun in Walmart either. Cops come in all hyped up (gotta be, serious mission by all accounts from the info they've been given), adrenaline rushing, hammer back.
Except that the argument in the thread above was that Texas is an 'open carry state', and thus had every right to walk in with a gun or guns, which is why a white guy in obvious body armor carrying an assault rifle isn't dead. Lots of rightful panic associated with his entry, virtually no panic with the black guy (other than the caller) picking up a pellet gun from the shelf, and the black guy is dead with zero warning, the white guy alive.

Yes, "it's awful". But let's understand why one guy is dead, the other alive.
It wasn't the actual level of threat posed to the officers.
Nor even any remotely reasonable basis for difference in perceived threat.
Just race.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:55 am

Do you feel the same way about the good citizens in Chicago where they want to kill each other and are no open carry laws?
Let's be clear that "the good citizens of Chicago" absolutely don't want the violence. They're the victims.

Please let's not oversimplify or conflate these horrendous issues.
DMac

Post by DMac »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:42 am
Except that the argument in the thread above was that Texas is an 'open carry state', and thus had every right to walk in with a gun or guns, which is why a white guy in obvious body armor carrying an assault rifle isn't dead. Lots of rightful panic associated with his entry, virtually no panic with the black guy (other than the caller) picking up a pellet gun from the shelf, and the black guy is dead with zero warning, the white guy alive.

Just race.
Yup, I get it, MDlax. Different color/kind of whites too though. Was picturing a scruffy looking white guy with a dark beard wearing a confederate flag hat, he might get called in to 911 too (with the pellet gun in hand). Many factors keeping people in a state of fear these days (see the fleeing crowd in NYC because of backfiring from a motorcycle...a Walmart here was shut down yesterday (or the day before) briefly because of an overreaction to nothing), and cops coming into a situation like this likely have their minds made up that, here we go again, gotta kill this guy. From my seat this death is inexcusable from the call, (that I can understand more than the killing) to the cop who killed him (gave him zero chance). He overreacted but there aint no cop gonna own up to that...so, no charge, nota.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:45 am

Let's be clear that "the good citizens of Chicago" absolutely don't want the violence. They're the victims.

Are you also CU77, MDlaxfan76? ;)
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

DMac wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:25 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:42 am

Just race.
Yup, I get it, MDlax. Different color/kind of whites too though. Was picturing a scruffy looking white guy with a dark beard wearing a confederate flag hat, he might get called in to 911 too (with the pellet gun in hand). Many factors keeping people in a state of fear these days (see the fleeing crowd in NYC because of backfiring from a motorcycle...a Walmart here was shut down yesterday (or the day before) briefly because of an overreaction to nothing), and cops coming into a situation like this likely have their minds made up that, here we go again, gotta kill this guy. From my seat this death is inexcusable from the call, (that I can understand more than the killing) to the cop who killed him (gave him zero chance). He overreacted but there aint no cop gonna own up to that...so, no charge, nota.
dunno about the confederate flag with pellet gun drawing a harsher response than the body armor plus assault rifle.
I'm suspicious of that proposition.

Painfully, simply being black puts someone in far greater jeopardy than being white and actually deserving to be considered dangerous by one's behavior.

The recent example of white guy in body armor and assault rifle was in the context of the very recent shooting, deserving of the highest possible sense of risk, and indeed he was called in as such, with the store being evacuated, folks fleeing in terror. If that armed to the teeth, body armored guy doesn't deserve to be seen as highest possible risk (absent reports of having actually shot people), I don't know what does.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

youthathletics wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:37 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:45 am

Are you also CU77, MDlaxfan76? ;)
No; not sure why you'd even ask.
We don't seem to see this quite the same way.

Or are you just tweaking me for responding to your response to him?
I do see your point, that the 'good citizens of open-carry states' surely don't actually want to "kill each other off" too.
Many of them just want to be able to do so.

Return to “POLITICS”