All Things Environment

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
youthathletics

Re: Climate Change & The Environment

Post by youthathletics »

Maybe Climate change is doing some good. ;) :lol:

I Chose Not To Have Kids Because I’m Afraid For The Planet
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

youthathletics wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:14 am Point of view with graphs: https://twitter.com/dbirch214/status/11 ... 91649?s=20
Cherry picking data - first years are chosen to be high and it is terminated before you see even higher. Sad!
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

RedFromMI wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:47 am
youthathletics wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:14 am Point of view with graphs: https://twitter.com/dbirch214/status/11 ... 91649?s=20
Cherry picking data - first years are chosen to be high and it is terminated before you see even higher. Sad!
It's really unfortunate that we don't do a better job at educating our children on how to understand data, graphs, etc.

That's true, regardless of one's political view.
Statistics that confirm one's view need to be examined most closely for confirmation bias.
Which scientists actually do with one another, sometimes imperfectly, but the whole ethic of science is to examine critically the data and experiments of others to achieve better and better understanding.

But the less educated in our citizenry are the most easily fooled, which is why we see the highest rates of science denial among the least well educated.

Just one of many reasons why better public education is so important to our democracy.
Otherwise our citizenry makes poorly informed decisions.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:15 am
It's really unfortunate that we don't do a better job at educating our children on how to understand data, graphs, etc.

Statistics that confirm one's view need to be examined most closely for confirmation bias.
Which scientists actually do with one another, sometimes imperfectly, but the whole ethic of science is to examine critically the data and experiments of others to achieve better and better understanding.

But the less educated in our citizenry are the most easily fooled, which is why we see the highest rates of science denial among the least well educated.

Just one of many reasons why better public education is so important to our democracy.
So your ever so polite verbiage is your way of saying that those of us that don't agree with the uber intelligent PhD scientist type folk is that we are a bunch of uneducated stupid effing morons... got it. I will post this for you... you need a little bit of education in your narrow minded little world. I hope you invest the 8 minutes it takes to watch it. George uses some bad words so if you choose to watch it... please don't be offended.
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=ge ... &FORM=VIRE
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

cradleandshoot wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:45 pm

So your ever so polite verbiage is your way of saying that those of us that don't agree with the uber intelligent PhD scientist type folk is that we are a bunch of uneducated stupid effing morons... got it. I will post this for you... you need a little bit of education in your narrow minded little world. I hope you invest the 8 minutes it takes to watch it. George uses some bad words so if you choose to watch it... please don't be offended.
Seen it before. Not exactly relevant, as Carlin is not much of an expert. He is a comedian. If you base your decision making on that rant I feel sorry for you. Notice his conclusion that humanity as a species is doomed, and there is nothing you can do about it. I disagree. His rant is more a commentary on the fact that most of us do not like change, but there is not any real argument here as Carlin is arguing against a straw man (save the _planet_).

Now I don't think you are an uneducated stupid effing moron. But when you post some graph you got off of twitter without any appreciation of the bias in the presentation you are being intellectually lazy. And almost every opponent of doing something to mitigate the clear human impact on the environment (which as Carlin correctly points out won't hurt the planet) uses tricks like this. They are the ones being intellectually dishonest by promoting crap (just like the tobacco company "scientists" who tried to keep the cigarette industry humming along).

But what mitigating human caused impact to long term climate will do is help to protect ourselves long term, not the planet itself, by making the bad effects of climate change to be minimized. And the funny thing about it is that by doing so we actually help ourselves in other ways - one example being the creation of new industries and technologies. Those are areas where our country has excelled in the past, and can certainly do so again.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

RedFromMI wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:13 pm

Seen it before. Not exactly relevant, as Carlin is not much of an expert. He is a comedian. If you base your decision making on that rant I feel sorry for you. Notice his conclusion that humanity as a species is doomed, and there is nothing you can do about it. I disagree. His rant is more a commentary on the fact that most of us do not like change, but there is not any real argument here as Carlin is arguing against a straw man (save the _planet_).

Now I don't think you are an uneducated stupid effing moron. But when you post some graph you got off of twitter without any appreciation of the bias in the presentation you are being intellectually lazy. And almost every opponent of doing something to mitigate the clear human impact on the environment (which as Carlin correctly points out won't hurt the planet) uses tricks like this. They are the ones being intellectually dishonest by promoting dump (just like the tobacco company "scientists" who tried to keep the cigarette industry humming along).

But what mitigating human caused impact to long term climate will do is help to protect ourselves long term, not the planet itself, by making the bad effects of climate change to be minimized. And the funny thing about it is that by doing so we actually help ourselves in other ways - one example being the creation of new industries and technologies. Those are areas where our country has excelled in the past, and can certainly do so again.
Yep. I have a few clients in the auto and aerospace industries. Efficiency gains have been a boon to those industries. A lot of innovation and a lot of new jobs.
“I wish you would!”
Carroll81

Post by Carroll81 »

Michael Moore's new documentary on alternative energy:

https://www.weareiowa.com/news/national ... ve-energy/
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Carlin was a terrific comedian and social commentator. Which didn't make him right all the time, but funny nearly always.

No, cradle, I'm not saying that supporting Trump, or not agreeing with the "uber intelligent PhD scientists type folks," necessarily makes you or any other specific person "uneducated" nor "stupid" nor "effing morons".

I simply said that less educated folks are more likely to be fooled by those who want to fool them with statistics and graphs that falsely represent the actual verifiable data.

Pretty simple. If someone doesn't know how to decipher the data, never learned how, they are easily fooled. Heck of a lot easier than those who do know how to question the data methodology and presentation.

I wouldn't take my car to a cancer doctor, nor my medical problem to a car mechanic. Both could be quite "smart", neither "effing morons". But one is educated in car care the other in medical care.

Of course there are exceptions of doctors who could diagnose a car well too, or a mechanic who could diagnose my medical issue. But I'd never recommend the latter given the stakes. But then again, I'd be careful about the doctor doing a brake job too!

So, yeah, I have more confidence in the "uber intelligent PhD scientist folks" examining scientific data than some knucklehead science denier. But that's just my "narrow minded little world".
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:38 pm

Carlin was a terrific comedian and social commentator. Which didn't make him right all the time, but funny nearly always.

No, cradle, I'm not saying that supporting Trump, or not agreeing with the "uber intelligent PhD scientists type folks," necessarily makes you or any other specific person "uneducated" nor "stupid" nor "effing morons".

I simply said that less educated folks are more likely to be fooled by those who want to fool them with statistics and graphs that falsely represent the actual verifiable data.

Pretty simple. If someone doesn't know how to decipher the data, never learned how, they are easily fooled. Heck of a lot easier than those who do know how to question the data methodology and presentation.

I wouldn't take my car to a cancer doctor, nor my medical problem to a car mechanic. Both could be quite "smart", neither "effing morons". But one is educated in car care the other in medical care.

Of course there are exceptions of doctors who could diagnose a car well too, or a mechanic who could diagnose my medical issue. But I'd never recommend the latter given the stakes. But then again, I'd be careful about the doctor doing a brake job too!

So, yeah, I have more confidence in the "uber intelligent PhD scientist folks" examining scientific data than some knucklehead science denier. But that's just my "narrow minded little world".
https://uk.news.yahoo.com/university-ba ... Zw55TYAoN3 So is this how the uber educated PhD weeds are going to save the planet? You brainwash a bunch of stupid young skulls full of mush into banning cheeseburgers as their way of saving the planet. You just don't get it MD... George Carlin was a brilliant observer of what we all do and say. You probably missed the most prophetic line he had to say. I will paraphrase for you... save the freaking planet... we human beings have not figured out how to save ourselves... how are we going to save the freaking planet? The planet doesn't need a bunch of lily white limousine liberals have to save it. The planet will be fine... the people are freaked... but the planet will be fine.

Here is my point of view MD. Since around 1974 when we were young high school sophomores we were taught that the planet... do to human activity was suffering from GC( global cooling) in a nutshell the best and brightest minds of that era predicted planet earth was going to turn into a gigantic ice cube. In the 45 years since I have personally witnessed one miserably failed prediction after another from the best and brightest minds of science. When you have a 50 year tradition of being 100% wrong in everything you have predicted... you tend to lose credibility in my eyes. I have always been a very untrusting person of those I don't know and trust. IMO the 72nd chicken little brigade members are full of chickendip. I have said this many times on this thread and I will repeat it because I believe it to be true...

Planet earth doesn't need our help. Planet earth will do what it wants, when it wants, how it wants and where it wants. If you believe as many here do that we can do anything to change that... Can we do anything to stop the Caldera from erupting in Yellowstone Park? Will eliminating the internal combustion engine stop that from happening? If we all stop eating cheeseburgers will the planet become more foregiving and save us all? It astounds me that some of you simple minded humans believe we have the power to engage the clutch on our big blue planet and shift it into reverse. If the earth is getting warmer it is not the fault of humans... always changing is what our planet does. Thinking that we can change that is the hight of ignorance in my opinion.

That being said we should all be good stewards of our planet. I consider myself to be a fanatic when it comes to doing my part and cleaning up where and when i can. There is a wonderful Fredrick Law Olmstead designed park that runs from the Seneca Park Zoo and parallels the Genesee River all the way to Lake Ontario. It is a 3 mile round trip that i walked my dogs on for years. Sadly my yellow lab is too old for the hike. I haves never ventured on these trails without a trash bag in hand to clean up after all the inconsiderate jerks that leave all manner of debris. i have removed everything imaginable... you name it. Used condoms, crack baggies, needles, broken booze bottles fast food containers and on more than a few occasions human feces.

You want me to be worried about the planet in 50 or 100 years... lets backtrack to something George Carlin said... save the freaking planet... we humans have not figured out how to save ourselves I have not walked those trails in awhile now... if i did so... i guran damn tee you i would pick up the same sheepdip i have for years. Maybe some of these PhD types should take a walk in the park with some garbage bags in their hands and pick up some of the items our fellow humans leave behind. MD have you ever had to pick up a used condom and dispose of it for the person that left it behind? A bunch of stupid college morons that think they can save the planet by not eating cheesburgers. Good for them... symbolism over substance. They are involved in a meaningless gesture that means nothing. You stupid college shlubs if you want to help clean up your planet venture forth into any local park with a garbage bag and have it. If you think you can save the planet... a much higher authority than any of us is in charge of that.
Bob Ross:
Typical Lax Dad

cradleandshoot wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:27 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:38 pm

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/university-ba ... Zw55TYAoN3 So is this how the uber educated PhD weeds are going to save the planet? You brainwash a bunch of stupid young skulls full of mush into banning cheeseburgers as their way of saving the planet. You just don't get it MD... George Carlin was a brilliant observer of what we all do and say. You probably missed the most prophetic line he had to say. I will paraphrase for you... save the freaking planet... we human beings have not figured out how to save ourselves... how are we going to save the freaking planet? The planet doesn't need a bunch of lily white limousine liberals have to save it. The planet will be fine... the people are freaked... but the planet will be fine.

Here is my point of view MD. Since around 1974 when we were young high school sophomores we were taught that the planet... do to human activity was suffering from GC( global cooling) in a nutshell the best and brightest minds of that era predicted planet earth was going to turn into a gigantic ice cube. In the 45 years since I have personally witnessed one miserably failed prediction after another from the best and brightest minds of science. When you have a 50 year tradition of being 100% wrong in everything you have predicted... you tend to lose credibility in my eyes. I have always been a very untrusting person of those I don't know and trust. IMO the 72nd chicken little brigade members are full of chickendip. I have said this many times on this thread and I will repeat it because I believe it to be true...

Planet earth doesn't need our help. Planet earth will do what it wants, when it wants, how it wants and where it wants. If you believe as many here do that we can do anything to change that... Can we do anything to stop the Caldera from erupting in Yellowstone Park? Will eliminating the internal combustion engine stop that from happening? If we all stop eating cheeseburgers will the planet become more foregiving and save us all? It astounds me that some of you simple minded humans believe we have the power to engage the clutch on our big blue planet and shift it into reverse. If the earth is getting warmer it is not the fault of humans... always changing is what our planet does. Thinking that we can change that is the hight of ignorance in my opinion.

That being said we should all be good stewards of our planet. I consider myself to be a fanatic when it comes to doing my part and cleaning up where and when i can. There is a wonderful Fredrick Law Olmstead designed park that runs from the Seneca Park Zoo and parallels the Genesee River all the way to Lake Ontario. It is a 3 mile round trip that i walked my dogs on for years. Sadly my yellow lab is too old for the hike. I haves never ventured on these trails without a trash bag in hand to clean up after all the inconsiderate jerks that leave all manner of debris. i have removed everything imaginable... you name it. Used condoms, crack baggies, needles, broken booze bottles fast food containers and on more than a few occasions human feces.

You want me to be worried about the planet in 50 or 100 years... lets backtrack to something George Carlin said... save the freaking planet... we humans have not figured out how to save ourselves I have not walked those trails in awhile now... if i did so... i guran damn tee you i would pick up the same sheepdip i have for years. Maybe some of these PhD types should take a walk in the park with some garbage bags in their hands and pick up some of the items our fellow humans leave behind. MD have you ever had to pick up a used condom and dispose of it for the person that left it behind? A bunch of stupid college morons that think they can save the planet by not eating cheesburgers. Good for them... symbolism over substance. They are involved in a meaningless gesture that means nothing. You stupid college shlubs if you want to help clean up your planet venture forth into any local park with a garbage bag and have it. If you think you can save the planet... a much higher authority than any of us is in charge of that.
The people behind Impossible Burger must have put these folks up to this! Is George Carlin dead?
“I wish you would!”
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

The Burger Manifesto does not comfort this grandfather.
“I don’t take responsibility at all.” —Donald J Trump
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

cradle,

That was indeed quite the screed.

Yes, I've picked up a heck of a lot of trash, including used condoms, off of my own property roadside, and on many a community clean-up. I have 40 acres with about 800 yards of roadside where knuckleheads toss trash out their windows or even pull over and dump. Drives me a bit crazy, but then I remember back to the '60's when we were still 'sinking' beer cans into the Chesapeake Bay...thankfully we've improved, though far from enough.

What I observe is that there's a strong correlation with various forms of addiction in the trash. Liquor bottles, cigarette packs, and fast food packaging dominate the trash. Folks who are killing themselves appear to not bother to consider impact on others. It's also observable that if trash is not picked up, the pace of trash chucked increases, whereas kept clean discourages that pace. These observations, unsurprisingly at least to me, happen to be in line with what 'behavioral science' tells us about human behavior.

I entirely disagree with you with regard to whether mankind does and can have an impact on climate change. Your view is based on a virulent anti-science bias.

Got it.
You're not a scientist, not trained in the rigors of science, and resent being 'preached' to by those who are.
That's a natural human behavioral reaction.

History is replete with science deniers. History tells us the science deniers are most often wrong.

I, of course, agree with being skeptical.
Indeed, that's the nature of science, to be skeptical, to examine, to test, to challenge existing 'knowledge'.

And I agree that ultimately the earth itself will 'survive' for millennia to come.
The question is whether mankind will survive, and if so, whether that will mean enormous trauma in the process of that survival.

Can we avoid, delay that trauma, mediate it?

Well, we're not going to do so without 'science'.
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

Yes - the planet doesn't care.

In fact, to a bug, a tossed aside beer can is the best house they have ever found.

We offend ourselves. We offend ME.

But MD - your screed about "SCIENCE DENIERS" aside - you have to admit that the scientific community has done itself no favors when they manipulate statistics and/or outright lie to get published, get grant money or for what ever reason they do so.

From big tobacco, to the falsely predicted ice age they said we would be deep in the middle of by now, to the big oil scientists, to any number of things scientists have falsely pushed for apparent self-gain - they have, more than anything else proven over and over again that they are people. And as such they are just as corruptible as anyone else. As little as twenty years ago Al Gore was gleefully telling us that we would facing environmental catastrophes of epic proportions a few year ago. Hyperbole like that doesn't help.

cradle's point was actually pretty dang moderate - we should do what we can. He points out the religious-like fervor that has gripped the climate change/global warming/I-don't-know-what's-coming-but-it-is-bad movement. Bow down before the catastrophe that is cows farting or you are a "SCIENCE DENIER"!!

As everyone knows, there is nothing worse for a cult member than to be ostracized or labeled as "other"
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Even science screws up, only this time we know about it.

- We have looked at several observations in the area and estimate that the temperature has not been above zero degrees in the area. Our suspicion that plus 4.7 degrees was too hot, kept up, says meteorologist at DMI Herdis Damberg.
~Livy

Typical Lax Dad

HooDat wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:36 am Yes - the planet doesn't care.

In fact, to a bug, a tossed aside beer can is the best house they have ever found.

But MD - your screed about "SCIENCE DENIERS" aside - you have to admit that the scientific community has done itself no favors when they manipulate statistics and/or outright lie to get published, get grant money or for what ever reason they do so.

From big tobacco, to the falsely predicted ice age they said we would be deep in the middle of by now, to the big oil scientists, to any number of things scientists have falsely pushed for apparent self-gain - they have, more than anything else proven over and over again that they are people. And as such they are just as corruptible as anyone else. As little as twenty years ago Al Gore was gleefully telling us that we would facing environmental catastrophes of epic proportions a few year ago. Hyperbole like that doesn't help.

cradle's point was actually pretty dang moderate - we should do what we can. He points out the religious-like fervor that has gripped the climate change/global warming/I-don't-know-what's-coming-but-it-is-bad movement. Bow down before the catastrophe that is cows farting or you are a "SCIENCE DENIER"!!

As everyone knows, there is nothing worse for a cult member than to be ostracized or labeled as "other"
Economic and financial models are often off. Potential investors should just ignore it, because people are often wrong, and just invest randomly.......
“I wish you would!”
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Thank you Hoo… you may be the only voice out there in the wilderness that understands what I am trying to say. We have a brand spanking new congresswomen, who the last time I checked is not an environmental PhD who is advocating spending 35 trillion of our dollars on a GREEN NEW STEAL. Nobody on these threads questions her qualifications. These stupid freaking people want to INVEST 35 TRILLION DOLLARS and the jackwagons here on this thread could give two piles of sheepdip about it. 35 FREAKING TRILLION DOLLARS and we will have saved the planet. Sure we will... you dumbasses can all go lick my left nut. The only thing you people will have done is piss 35 trillion dollars down a very dark rat hole. You must feel a need to compete with the DoD when it comes to wasting taxpayer money... :P
Bob Ross:
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:14 pm

Economic and financial models are often off. Potential investors should just ignore it, because people are often wrong, and just invest randomly.......
actually, just about every financial mind that i respect would agree with you - unless you can invest like Buffett and get access to sweet deals from the US Government, or invest on other forms of insider information..... You ever read "A Random Walk Down Wall Street"? An oldie but a goodie.....

Typical Lax Dad

HooDat wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:52 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:14 pm

actually, just about every financial mind that i respect would agree with you - unless you can invest like Buffett and get access to sweet deals from the US Government, or invest on other forms of insider information..... You ever read "A Random Walk Down Wall Street"? An oldie but a goodie.....
I saw the monkey and the dart board. We should revamp the market. May as well shut down investor relations globally and do away with costly prospectus. Just a one page buy at your own risk. We could do away with Fixed Income and Equity research units also. Make it pure luck because, analysts get it wrong. What do they know.
“I wish you would!”
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:59 pm because, analysts get it wrong. What do they know.
in my experience - very little.

Now Fixed Income analysts know a whole lot. It's the equity ones that can't outperform a dartboard.

Return to “POLITICS”