Sensible Gun Safety

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
jhu72

Re: Sensible Gun Control

Post by jhu72 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:26 pm
LandM wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:57 pm CU77,
First, I am an independent - I vote for the person not the label - here is an idea - let the I's select which primary to vote in and let them cast one vote either R or D for now - might have different caste of people;

Second, do a more thorough background check - people can wait an extra few days if they have nothing to hide. Make it a three week process or whatever amount time authorities need. TSA is a pain in the arse, do I think it is effective - NOPE. IMHO when your time is up, your time is up and no law enforcement agency is going to buy me extra time and I refuse to live in fear of some nutjob but if people feel better, go for it;

Third, mental health - that to me is the issue. This country worries more about the 90 year mom then the 15 year old kid who might be struggling and since both parents work, he/she gets no attention.......how are you gonna fix that. Excluding LV, these are young people who have acted out and the police cannot do anything - why - we have laws - maybe tweak the laws or actually get rid of a few, free college means free mentors, some of these kids need help. People have rights but laws have made it to the point where a really bad person gets a hall pass and then whamo - how do you suggest that gets fixed?
Totally agree on the I's voting in whatever primary they wish...some states allow that, most do not. Federal gov't has no say.

I'd add a fourth, go after the hate networks and interdict those encouraging violence and hate.

Fifth, no more 'dark web'. Shut it down.

The technology makes that impossible. Just a wackamole game. You can hurt it, but you can't kill it. Actually there are aspects of the dark web that are useful if you worry about civil liberties. Every thing has its yin and yang, its light and its dark, its good and bad.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

jhu72 wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:02 pm
First, I am an independent - I vote for the person not the label - here is an idea - let the I's select which primary to vote in and let them cast one vote either R or D for now - might have different caste of people;

Second, do a more thorough background check - people can wait an extra few days if they have nothing to hide. Make it a three week process or whatever amount time authorities need. TSA is a pain in the arse, do I think it is effective - NOPE. IMHO when your time is up, your time is up and no law enforcement agency is going to buy me extra time and I refuse to live in fear of some nutjob but if people feel better, go for it;

Third, mental health - that to me is the issue. This country worries more about the 90 year mom then the 15 year old kid who might be struggling and since both parents work, he/she gets no attention.......how are you gonna fix that. Excluding LV, these are young people who have acted out and the police cannot do anything - why - we have laws - maybe tweak the laws or actually get rid of a few, free college means free mentors, some of these kids need help. People have rights but laws have made it to the point where a really bad person gets a hall pass and then whamo - how do you suggest that gets fixed?
Totally agree on the I's voting in whatever primary they wish...some states allow that, most do not. Federal gov't has no say.

I'd add a fourth, go after the hate networks and interdict those encouraging violence and hate.

The technology makes that impossible. Just a wackamole game. You can hurt it, but you can't kill it. Actually there are aspects of the dark web that are useful if you worry about civil liberties. Every thing has its yin and yang, its light and its dark, its good and bad.
True, but shutting down the evil holes is a worthwhile endeavor, whackamole as it may be.
LandM

Post by LandM »

MD,
72 is unfortunately right. First company we worried about Russian and Bulgaria hacking. Fast forward, pick a country and continent, $200,000 a year for a certified network engineer. Too bad those people could not figure out a more prudent lifestyle :D. Unfortunately the nutballs with the finger on the trigger did not have the help to do the same.

DMac,
Getting off the floor again. Those Aggies are tough motherfr''s. Served with two and they love their rings :D . My good friend retired as a general a few years ago. His adopted daughter is all of 5' and a buck. Cute and respectful kid got lost and just received pics of her at Benning doing her first jump. The pack has to weigh more then she does :lol: Anyway good luck to both. When people ask about the millennials - NOPE.
Best
ABV 8.3%

Post by ABV 8.3% »

jhu72 wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:02 pm

No grey area ?
oligarchy thanks you......same as it evah was
ABV 8.3%

Post by ABV 8.3% »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:19 pm

[/quote]

True, but shutting down the evil holes is a worthwhile endeavor, whackamole as it may be.
[/quote]

Who is the decision maker as to what is evil? mediabias ? What the heck.......pathetic
oligarchy thanks you......same as it evah was
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

Going to Extremes Against Guns

Strassel's observation -
The weekend’s shootings in El Paso, Texas, and Dayton, Ohio, inspired the entire liberal-media complex to chant “gun control,” reflexively and predictably. A favorite demand is to expand background checks—never mind that these mass shooters, and those of recent years, bought their guns legally and therefore passed such checks. Another is an “assault weapons” ban—never mind that “assault” weapons function in the same way as tens of millions of other semi-automatic rifles that would remain in circulation.

But the Democratic presidential candidates went further. It is not enough, they insisted, to expand background checks or limit types of firearms going forward. What is needed is to take guns away and to make it harder for law-abiding Americans to own them. They at least get credit for being more honest about the left’s gun intentions.
Her solution -
Mass shootings are a terrible problem, but they won’t be solved with gun regulation. And no competitive politician will be rewarded for offending law-abiding gun owners—and the Constitution—with radical proposals that won’t achieve their objectives. Democrats write off gun-owning America at their peril.
She has nothing....
CU88

Post by CU88 »

FLOTUS Twitter has image of her and o d with the newly orphaned child, who had been discharged but brought back to hospital for PR image.

https://twitter.com/FLOTUS/status/1159511786695069697

r hero o d is giving the "Thumbs Up"!?!

Is he proud that both parents were murdered and the child is an orphan?

DEPLORABLE
by cradleandshoot » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:57 am
Mr moderator, deactivate my account.
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
This is cradle and shoot signing out.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

CU88 wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:08 am FLOTUS Twitter has image of her and o d with the newly orphaned child, who had been discharged but brought back to hospital for PR image.

https://twitter.com/FLOTUS/status/1159511786695069697

r hero o d is giving the "Thumbs Up"!?!

Is he proud that both parents were murdered and the child is an orphan?

DEPLORABLE
Steven Miller & Company have gotten to Twitter and gotten rid of the image...they know it's a loser for Dear Leader...

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

(satire)
"This orphan is just tremendous. Everyone's talking about him. Tremendous. He asked to meet. Melania has him because—not many people know this—orphans have germs, maybe his parents' blood is still on him, but he's a great kid, great kid. I autographed the death certificates." Kieran Healy.
“I don’t take responsibility at all.” —Donald J Trump
DMac

Post by DMac »

You'll like this one, CU77, at least the good guy ran the bad guy off.
A bystander who saw the shooting took out his own gun and fired several rounds at the suspect, who then ran back to his car, a dark-colored Sedan, and fled the scene, police said.
https://www.yahoo.com/gma/gunman-run-2- ... ories.html
CU88

Post by CU88 »

Trinity wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:40 am (satire)
"This orphan is just tremendous. Everyone's talking about him. Tremendous. He asked to meet. Melania has him because—not many people know this—orphans have germs, maybe his parents' blood is still on him, but he's a great kid, great kid. I autographed the death certificates." Kieran Healy.
r's love o d
Attachments
Orphan.jpg
Orphan.jpg (58.27 KiB) Viewed 1875 times
by cradleandshoot » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:57 am
Mr moderator, deactivate my account.
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
This is cradle and shoot signing out.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

ABV 8.3% wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:33 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:19 pm

[/quote]

Who is the decision maker as to what is evil? mediabias ? What the heck.......pathetic
[/quote]

Absolutely, this is dangerous territory, I agree with '72 on that.

God forbid the 'decision maker' is say, a fascist or other authoritarian who shuts down all dissent.

But it's not as if we don't address these questions in other, quite similar situations. We don't just sit on our hands and say woe is me, there's nothing government can do to protect us from harm.

In our society of representative democracy, we have various checks and balances to ensure that we address challenges like this in a distributed fashion, not vesting too much power in any one part of our gov't or too much power in the hands of any one individual or group of individuals.

For instance, we legislate that it is illegal to do violence or incite violence or panic that leads to harm of others. We vest police powers in local, state and federal levels to investigate criminals and to enforce these laws, however we restrict those powers in various ways to prevent police powers being used improperly, and we provide various forms of adjudication in the court system to ensure that is actually the case. It's not perfect, but it's a heck of a lot better than anarchy or dictatorship.

We do this with drug cartels, we do it with foreign terrorists, we do it in all sorts of situations in which our representative democracy has concluded that taking action is worthwhile to the benefit of protecting us. That's the whole point of our system.

Of course, this is why I continuously raise the specter of authoritarianism, which I see as a clear and present danger to our system.
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

Nice Washington Post article on the National Firearms Act of 1934, which got the machine gun off the street:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/history/ ... r-weapons/
CU77

Post by CU77 »

DMac wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:21 pm You'll like this one, CU77, at least the good guy ran the bad guy off.
A bystander who saw the shooting took out his own gun and fired several rounds at the suspect, who then ran back to his car, a dark-colored Sedan, and fled the scene, police said.
https://www.yahoo.com/gma/gunman-run-2- ... ories.html
Yeah, love it. :roll:

Here's how that article starts:
A gunman and his accomplice are still on the run after killing two people on a major highway in Texas during rush hour Thursday evening, authorities said.
Pure luck that the idiot bystander shooting off his gun didn't hit some other bystander while firing "at" the suspect (who he couldn't manage to hit).

Remove all guns from this scenario, and two more innocent people are still alive.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

How is this guy still alive? Please explain. Walked into Walmart with two guns and body armor.....how is he not dead?

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/10/us/walma ... index.html
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
CU77

Post by CU77 »

I'd like to see a lot more of this in open-carry states.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:09 pm How is this guy still alive? Please explain. Walked into Walmart with two guns and body armor.....how is he not dead?

Indeed, in many a scenario the police would have shot first, asked questions later...'small' difference being skin color...but am I being too sensitive?
DMac

Post by DMac »

MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

DMac wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:17 pm This one's pretty crazy.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-49308016
Good thing he had a couple of shotguns, not an assault rifle.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:14 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:09 pm How is this guy still alive? Please explain. Walked into Walmart with two guns and body armor.....how is he not dead?

Indeed, in many a scenario the police would have shot first, asked questions later
Why? It's an open-carry state. The guy was totally within his rights.

This is what open-carry is supposed to be good for: plenty of good guys with guns to stop bad guys with guns.

We need many many more such guys in open-carry states.

Return to “POLITICS”