CNN Says 'White Men' are the Biggest Terror Threat in US

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Typical Lax Dad

Re: CNN Says 'White Men' are the Biggest Terror Threat in US

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

old salt wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:30 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:21 pm
old salt wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:08 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:40 pm
youthathletics wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:36 pm What does it prove?
You here to defend McVeigh also? I can’t tell.
Not defending or excusing anyone. Pointing out what happened, how & why.

A PTSD diagnosis would have been an opportunity for intervention.
Sure.
Remember this ?
https://www.politico.com/magazine/story ... uge-214089
I sure do. I mentioned those two here earlier today....Sherlock. I wondered why these two shooters weren't included when someone, Forevelax possibly, did a rundown of mass shootings.
“I wish you would!”
LandM

Post by LandM »

MD and Doc,
My sister in law is bi-polar. Everyone in my immediate family including my 91 year old father-in-law has a restraining order against her. I will not list the stupid things she has said or done. In 58 years of life I am locking my doors both home and car for the first time. It sucks. If anyone thinks those two are/were right in the head - man oh man. My wife and I have gone to bi-polar classes to educate ourselves perhaps some of you out here should do the same. Mental healthcare is sorely lacking.
Typical Lax Dad

LandM wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:50 pm MD and Doc,
My sister in law is bi-polar. Everyone in my immediate family including my 91 year old father-in-law has a restraining order against her. I will not list the stupid things she has said or done. In 58 years of life I am locking my doors both home and car for the first time. It sucks. If anyone thinks those two are/were right in the head - man oh man. My wife and I have gone to bi-polar classes to educate ourselves perhaps some of you out here should do the same. Mental healthcare is sorely lacking.
Absolutely.
“I wish you would!”
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:32 pm
a fan wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:25 pm
old salt wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:16 pm Maybe now (if the GOP has a future), but not before Trump.
FoxNation. That's what started it. The arrival of Trump simply proved what FoxNation is: it's not the voice of conservative America. If it was, Trump's poll numbers among FoxNation would be near zero.

FoxNation is the voice of anger and division. Of blaming others, rather than championing conservative ideas.
The pushback started long before FNC. When did El Rushbo go national ?
Same time, roughly. Mid-late 90's.
a fan

Post by a fan »

LandM wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:50 pm Mental healthcare is sorely lacking.
Another place the free market doesn't work.
old salt

Post by old salt »

a fan wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:56 pm
old salt wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:16 pm Maybe now (if the GOP has a future), but not before Trump.
FoxNation. That's what started it. The arrival of Trump simply proved what FoxNation is: it's not the voice of conservative America. If it was, Trump's poll numbers among FoxNation would be near zero.

FoxNation is the voice of anger and division. Of blaming others, rather than championing conservative ideas.
Same time, roughly. Mid-late 90's.
Limbaugh went national 8 years before FNC launched ('88 -- "96).
...then it took several years for FNC to get nationwide cable access.
a fan

Post by a fan »

Yes. But it took time to build his audience.

I was really pretty flat out stunned with a quote Rush gave to a caller who was plainly a frustrated real conservative, when she asked "what does the Republican party stand for anymore".

Rush clearly didn't understand she was to the right of him. He figure her for a lefty. So he said "whatever the the Dems are for, we're against".

Almost drove the car off the road. Floored by his honest, although I promise you his loyal listeners didn't register what just happened.

Fox has NOTHING to do with conservatism. It's about keeping the party going, and keeping the R's in power.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Not at all, asking your for an answer to the question?
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
LandM

Post by LandM »

a fan,
The free markets - need capital and an incentive -ROI. No ROI, no incentive. Bringing it to market are folks way smarter then I.
a fan

Post by a fan »

That's the business side.

The consumer side is: you need to be able to choose whether or not you buy the good or service.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:29 pm SARCASM [ON}

I wish the economy was really horrible, and more people were out of work, and more soldiers were in the ME, and more minorities were unemployed, and America really sucked and everything was free, and the earth was really on fire from high co2 and temps, and the planet was browner, and more states and countries were under water from ice melting, and we never fought back & we'd just hug it out and hoped it'd all go away, and if we do do nothing about other countries effing us they will be nicer back and not bag us anymore, and oh yea...there were more free stuff, and then even more free stuff, and the one media outlet Fox would just step in line with us everything would be perfect. #VoteDemocrat2020

SARCASM [OFF}
I know sarcasm font is on, but I do wonder if you really think this is how regular Democrats and left of center people, like me, and dislaxxic, and 72 and 77 and others, and elsewhere feel and think. Almost every line of this is abhorrent to me. No sarcasm. I don't expect the President to be perfect, but at least I knew George W. Bush was a good father and husband; that his Dad was a brave man who tried always to be the best he could be under the circumstances. This President loses my vote on a human, not political, level. His "politics," if that's even what you can call this, is just icing on an already baked cake.
Typical Lax Dad

youthathletics wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:13 pm
It proves that everyone with PTSD don't blow up buildings or do you disagree?
Last edited by Typical Lax Dad on Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“I wish you would!”
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:39 pm
It proves that everyone with PTDS don't blow up buildings or do you disagree?
Thanks for the reply. No I do not disagree,
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

What you call 'pushback' really started in '68 with the 'southern strategy' of the Nixon and Agnew GOP campaign, and then again in '72 as the Dems tacked leftward in response to Vietnam and the college protests, civil rights, feminism, etc: For the GOP, 'Law and Order', "the Silent Majority" were appeals to the racist southern Dems and white flight suburban voters of the north. You could even argue that it started with the Goldwater campaign, but that's more of a stretch. But definitely elements.

The objective of the strategy was to appeal to those lesser educated, segregationist white voters of the south who had been hard core Democratic voters and were ticked off at Kennedy and Johnson's choice to back civil rights and the 'War on Poverty'.

I remember well as a 13 year old in '70 in a bar full of watermen and hunters on the Eastern Shore watching the black and white TV above the bar as Agnew delivered William Safire's phrase "nattering nabobs of negativism" about the press, the men cheering vociferously. Many of these working class men were lifelong Democrats, turned GOP for Nixon, away from the hippies, the bra burners, and especially away from civil rights and the violence of the urban riots with the slaying of MLK. That was also the major turning point in the right wing's distrust of the media through the explosion of the Pentagon Papers, My Lai, Kent State, Watergate and the like. And '72 that strategy deepened as the Dem's ended up with a 'Yankee' liberal at the top of the ticket. I canvassed for Nixon in '72, much to my later chagrin.

The Reagan '80 campaign doubled down on the southern strategy blunting Carter's otherwise appeal as being himself from the south, and then rode strongly that strategy in '84 versus a 'Yankee' candidate, especially focusing on appealing to evangelical voters newly organized as anti-abortion, 'family values' voters. But also big overlap with the segregationists. By '88, most all of the segregationists were voting GOP, with just a few old geezers left in Congress still ostensibly Dem, but voting with the GOP frequently.

HW infamously ran the Willie Horton ad, which he later said was his greatest regret in politics, but it was effective in separating the GOP as the party for those folks again, in contrast to a another Yankee liberal with a funny name, Dukakis.

When Clinton emerged as a centrist Dem with a southern drawl that made an enormous difference for the Dems, with all sorts of folks willing to overlook how much of dog in his personal life he was. Add to that gestational political chops and he pulled off quite the upset. So, what did ole Newt Gingrich do? Went back to the roots of the southern strategy.

W played the Texan role well, and made 'compassionate conservative' appealing, along with embracing Hispanics and others of color, not demonizing. And when he rejected Islamaphobia, he further earned my respect. I wish some of my Dem friends would appreciate that more, but I get it that his errors and weaknesses were pretty miserable too.

Obama was then another generational talent, representing a sort of hope for which a lot of folks hungered. I 'voted for the other guy' twice, but I never for a moment was disappointed that America had chosen Obama. And, yeah, the hard right lost their minds over it.

The GOP is every bit as complicit as the Dems in defining itself on the basis of race, and unfortunately for me as a lifelong white R, they've now defined the party as actually accepting the worst sorts of bigotry, indeed celebrating it. So very white. The Dems, by contrast may dominate the African American vote and to a lesser extent the Hispanic vote, but sure are a lot of white Dems! I don't think whites actually feel alienated within the Dem party, just those who believe that whites are superior to people from 's-hole countries'.

So, let's get off the meme that the Dems stoke the racial divisions and Trump is just the natural 'pushback'. He's the result of many decades of the
GOP very consciously going after that old segregationist south vote, and the suburban white flight vote.
Typical Lax Dad

youthathletics wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:51 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:39 pm
It proves that everyone with PTDS don't blow up buildings or do you disagree?
Thanks for the reply. No I do not disagree,
Not you......Last week a guy was making excuses for a liar, this week a mass murderer / terrorists....for two years defending a guy with no morals, no honor or integrity. Man how the mighty have fallen. It's pathetic.
“I wish you would!”
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

seacoaster wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:33 pm
youthathletics wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:29 pm SARCASM [ON}

I wish the economy was really horrible, and more people were out of work, and more soldiers were in the ME, and more minorities were unemployed, and America really sucked and everything was free, and the earth was really on fire from high co2 and temps, and the planet was browner, and more states and countries were under water from ice melting, and we never fought back & we'd just hug it out and hoped it'd all go away, and if we do do nothing about other countries effing us they will be nicer back and not bag us anymore, and oh yea...there were more free stuff, and then even more free stuff, and the one media outlet Fox would just step in line with us everything would be perfect. #VoteDemocrat2020

SARCASM [OFF}
I know sarcasm font is on, but I do wonder if you really think this is how regular Democrats and left of center people, like me, and dislaxxic, and 72 and 77 and others, and elsewhere feel and think. Almost every line of this is abhorrent to me. No sarcasm. I don't expect the President to be perfect, but at least I knew George W. Bush was a good father and husband; that his Dad was a brave man who tried always to be the best he could be under the circumstances. This President loses my vote on a human, not political, level. His "politics," if that's even what you can call this, is just icing on an already baked cake.
I get it seacoaster. I don’t like the guys verbose ramblings either, but he is our president and we are currently running quite smoothly as a country. Certainly he is ruffling feathers in a cut throat atmosphere. Politics is a crappy business, the difference with Trump, IMO, is he is the same guy behind closed doors as he is in public; flawed? certainly. I respect that because in my line of work I see daily the BS of the suit and tie c-suite types lying out their arse shitting on everyone, then blow smoke up your arse when they need something. I prefer straight shooters that just tell like it like it is.

Call it a differing of opinion or growing up on a working farm cutting tobacco and planting and picking produce 70 hours a week. at age 13. I’ve sat at a board room table with Team Trump....they are great negotiators that know their facts, but when you challenge them without confrontation, with specific expertise, they have proven respectful. Don’t get me wrong, the downside is that they’ll often write you off if you win It’s not a zero sum game with them....and that is their downfall.

In the end, I know Trump has a short time historically in office, and the next crew will balance things out when he’s gone. For now, he’s trying new tactics to move the needle....that’s okay with me, we all complaint anyway.

Have a good evening.
~Livy

MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:52 pm
LandM wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:50 pm MD and Doc,
Absolutely.
I'm with you, LandM, bipolar folks can swing darn widely. And some dangerously.
I'm not at all taking issue with being careful in such situations.
And condolences to you and your family, including your sister-in-law. Tough business.
a fan

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:37 pm Politics is a crappy business, the difference with Trump, IMO, is he is the same guy behind closed doors as he is in public
So you prefer someone that you know is an ***hole all the time. This doesn't make sense. Ford, Reagan, Bush, Carter, Clinton, Bush, and Obama.....all of them were the same at home as they were at the office. Last POTUS we had that was two faced was Tricky Dick.
youthathletics wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:37 pm I prefer straight shooters that just tell like it like it is.
You're saying this about a man who can't utter one single word without lying. You understand that, right?
youthathletics wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:37 pm I’ve sat at a board room table with Team Trump....they are great negotiators that know their facts, but when you challenge them without confrontation, with specific expertise, they have proven respectful.
Trump literally has fewer facts at his disposal than any POTUS we've ever had.

And he has proven to be unable to negotiate anything with anyone. He's the worst negotiator we've had in office...with Republican Congress at his beck and call he couldn't build his wall, repeal and replace, or sign immigration reform. All three of his main election planks. Total fail.

He's also failed to negotiate with Putin, Kim, Iran, and most of all, China.

So I'm left asking: who the heck are you talking about as "great negotiator"?
youthathletics wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:37 pm For now, he’s trying new tactics to move the needle
I'm more than curious as to what you think what these new tactics are.

You're buying the Trump mythology, and ignoring the scoreboard, just like he likes it. It's like FoxNation with the "Trump's not an insider". Ummmm: he's done skits with the mayor of New York, and had Bill and Hillary at his wedding. You think "regular ol' guys" do that?

Or "he's not a politician". Ummm: he's President of the United States. The top of the heap of politicians. There is no bigger politician.

If Trump did what he and you are claiming? I'd be a supporter. I'd LOVE repeal and replace of a better system than Obama. I'd LOVE immigration reform fixed and signed. I'd LOVE for him to drain the swamp. I'd even be fine with his stupid wall.

I'd also be overjoyed if he was a great negotiator. Deals with Iran, China, and N Korea would make my day. Again, he's done NONE of these things.

I'm left asking you: what are you talking about, my friend? ;)
old salt

Post by old salt »

So, let's get off the meme that the Dems stoke the racial divisions and Trump is just the natural 'pushback'. He's the result of many decades of the
GOP very consciously going after that old segregationist south vote, and the suburban white flight vote.
Thanks for the essay on modern political history. My point is much more narrow than that.
I'm referring to the pushback against excessive, absurd PC & the (D)'s stifling good faith debate by calling everyone who disagrees with them a racist. Maybe you don't see it because you use that tactic yourself. The silent majority may no longer be a majority, neither are they silent.
Typical Lax Dad

a fan wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:57 pm
youthathletics wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:37 pm Politics is a crappy business, the difference with Trump, IMO, is he is the same guy behind closed doors as he is in public
So you prefer someone that you know is an ***hole all the time. This doesn't make sense. Ford, Reagan, Bush, Carter, Clinton, Bush, and Obama.....all of them were the same at home as they were at the office. Last POTUS we had that was two faced was Tricky Dick.
youthathletics wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:37 pm I prefer straight shooters that just tell like it like it is.
You're saying this about a man who can't utter one single word without lying. You understand that, right?
youthathletics wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:37 pm I’ve sat at a board room table with Team Trump....they are great negotiators that know their facts, but when you challenge them without confrontation, with specific expertise, they have proven respectful.
Trump literally has fewer facts at his disposal than any POTUS we've ever had.

And he has proven to be unable to negotiate anything with anyone. He's the worst negotiator we've had in office...with Republican Congress at his beck and call he couldn't build his wall, repeal and replace, or sign immigration reform. All three of his main election planks. Total fail.

He's also failed to negotiate with Putin, Kim, Iran, and most of all, China.

So I'm left asking: who the heck are you talking about as "great negotiator"?
youthathletics wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:37 pm For now, he’s trying new tactics to move the needle
I'm more than curious as to what you think what these new tactics are.

You're buying the Trump mythology, and ignoring the scoreboard, just like he likes it. It's like FoxNation with the "Trump's not an insider". Ummmm: he's done skits with the mayor of New York, and had Bill and Hillary at his wedding. You think "regular ol' guys" do that?

Or "he's not a politician". Ummm: he's President of the United States. The top of the heap of politicians. There is no bigger politician.

If Trump did what he and you are claiming? I'd be a supporter. I'd LOVE repeal and replace of a better system than Obama. I'd LOVE immigration reform fixed and signed. I'd LOVE for him to drain the swamp. I'd even be fine with his stupid wall.

I'd also be overjoyed if he was a great negotiator. Deals with Iran, China, and N Korea would make my day. Again, he's done NONE of these things.

I'm left asking you: what are you talking about, my friend? ;)
We didn’t give them a nickel when they left the conference room.
“I wish you would!”

Return to “POLITICS”