Washington College 2020

D3 Mens Lacrosse
mdline

Washington College 2020

Post by mdline »

WAC is releasing profiles of the incoming freshman class. Thus far:

Nate Shaffer, Def, Kettle Run HS VA - 1st team all-region, 2nd team all-state
Brady McFalls, Att, Boyertown HS PA - PAC 10 POY, PAC 10 1st team, Mercury All Area
Logan Clefisch, Att, Owen J Roberts HS PA - PAC 10 1st team
TC White, Def, Bullis School MD - All IAC HM, Defensive MVP
Cole Bauer, Att/Mid, Archmere Acad DE - All-American, all-state
Robert Eigenrauch, Goalie, CE Jordan HS NC - all-state, all-region, conf POY
Tommy Ferrick, Mid, Daniel Hand HS CT - 1st team all-state, 1st team all conf
Jack Winters, Def, St. Joseph's Prep PA - 1st team all-league (PCL), Defensive MVP
Dylan O'Mara, Def, Cherokee HS NJ - 1st team all-conf
swf

Re: Washington College 2020

Post by swf »

Sho’men have it all; good school, beautiful campus, great Lax history, great conference, generational history (Grieves), beautiful facilities (stadium); Baltimore or Annapolis resident – want a pleasant spring afternoon, drive over to C’town catch a lax game – dinner and a leisurely drive home; WOTS with a Coliseum like thrill of watching controlled violence. Years past behind the stadium state, local and campus police kept groups of students from ripping into each other while the Salisbury players ran a gauntlet of beer throwing frat boys – and never broke ranks.

2017 and 2018 OT games broke both teams. Cost the Gulls two NCs and the Sho’men the rest of their seasons. Booyah.

My suggestion for a way forward is to ask Casey Grieves (2019) who ran Hobart for a year. Hobart is the D 3 standard with a D I mantle; D I schedule with D 3 restrictions on a beautiful campus with terrible winter weather. Back in D 3 they’d trounce the nattering NESCAC nabobs and give Salisbury/Berkman a run for his legacy.

What’ll it take to get WAC on that track?
formerwclaxer

Post by formerwclaxer »

To get back on track? I really don't know. I believe it starts with the President and Administration. Lacrosse has to become a big deal again to the school. Trust me, at Salisbury, York, Gettysburg, Wesleyan, etc the team gets great help and encouragement from the top. I have heard the new President is much more supportive to sports in general. I suspect available financial aid may be an issue. WC is expensive and does not have a huge endowment. I was surprised with the selection of the new AD a few years ago. No coaching experience and lack of lacrosse connection that I could see. I thought new blood was needed but it didn't happen.

WC does have much going for it as outlined by swf. But the lacrosse legacy has gradually been diminishing for sure over the last 15 years. Things change in life and it's a new lacrosse world out there. However, I would be proud to see them consistently be one of the top teams in the Centennial and a top 20 team every few years. Lacrosse was a big part of my WC experience as it was for my uncle, wife, brother and son. We would love to see them" get back on track". They seem to have a nice new recruit class coming in this season. Go Shoremen.
formerwclaxer

Post by formerwclaxer »

Just noticed that last season's most effective FO man, only a freshman, not listed on this year's returning roster. Too bad.
d3blood1

Post by d3blood1 »

The Shoremen are done. they haven't been relevant for a couple years now, and with the recent success of Ursinus and F&M along with the consistency of gburg and Dickinson, they will continue to find themselves outside the top 4. Its ashame, due to the rich lacrosse culture WAC has. Unfortunately, it looks like wac is far from contender status and the shoremen are pretty irrelevant other than a miracle game (still a loss) against salisbury
thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

The problem with WAC is that its been too long. The kids these days don't remember them being good.

Same with H-SC. Both those teams used to be regular D3 bullies.

This isn't a simple "rebuild," Thew momentum is lost. It's a startup at a place with a great history. We're just not sure the president supports the program.
I never knew no Godfather. I got my own family, Senator."
RetiredCardinal

Post by RetiredCardinal »

Cuseplayer1

Post by Cuseplayer1 »

Wow
Last edited by Cuseplayer1 on Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
COGULL

Post by COGULL »

d3blood1 wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:29 am The Shoremen are done. they haven't been relevant for a couple years now, and with the recent success of Ursinus and F&M along with the consistency of gburg and Dickinson, they will continue to find themselves outside the top 4. Its ashame, due to the rich lacrosse culture WAC has. Unfortunately, it looks like wac is far from contender status and the shoremen are pretty irrelevant other than a miracle game (still a loss) against salisbury
thatsmell wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:04 pm The problem with WAC is that its been too long. The kids these days don't remember them being good.

Same with H-SC. Both those teams used to be regular D3 bullies.

This isn't a simple "rebuild," Thew momentum is lost. It's a startup at a place with a great history. We're just not sure the president supports the program.
Maybe I haven't seen WC play enough to agree with you, but the last two years they've played "really" tough games again SU and sure looked better than they're being described. Although I'm a Salisbury fan, I'm pulling for WC to be relevant & competitive. The WOTS is such a great rivalry and the last two games have been exciting to watch.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

swf wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:01 am Sho’men have it all; good school, beautiful campus, great Lax history, great conference, generational history (Grieves), beautiful facilities (stadium); Baltimore or Annapolis resident – want a pleasant spring afternoon, drive over to C’town catch a lax game – dinner and a leisurely drive home; WOTS with a Coliseum like thrill of watching controlled violence. Years past behind the stadium state, local and campus police kept groups of students from ripping into each other while the Salisbury players ran a gauntlet of beer throwing frat boys – and never broke ranks.

2017 and 2018 OT games broke both teams. Cost the Gulls two NCs and the Sho’men the rest of their seasons. Booyah.

My suggestion for a way forward is to ask Casey Grieves (2019) who ran Hobart for a year. Hobart is the D 3 standard with a D I mantle; D I schedule with D 3 restrictions on a beautiful campus with terrible winter weather. Back in D 3 they’d trounce the nattering NESCAC nabobs and give Salisbury/Berkman a run for his legacy.

What’ll it take to get WAC on that track?
When you say ran I assume you mean was on the team on Grieves right? He played a little bit on man up, but wasn’t a regular that year. Came with a friend from HS and as I understand it, the culture for grieves was a better fit under the prior HC that recruited him than Coach raymond. Glad he did well at wac and had high hopes for him in Geneva but he wasn’t lighting it up like a few FR we’ve had since
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
mdline

Post by mdline »

WASHFAN

Post by WASHFAN »

WOTs 4/11 EASTER WEEKEND....Road trip!
swf

Post by swf »

If it's half as exciting as the last two years, it'll be a great game.
WASHFAN

Post by WASHFAN »

Can’t wait for WOTS! Awful quiet in C-town...concern? Or holiday lull?
COGULL

Post by COGULL »

WASHFAN wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:09 am Can’t wait for WOTS! Awful quiet in C-town...concern? Or holiday lull?
Great games & fan attendance !- One of those traditions and hidden gems that make DIII lacrosse great!
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

WASHFAN wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:09 am Can’t wait for WOTS! Awful quiet in C-town...concern? Or holiday lull?
What is there to talk about?
WASHFAN

Post by WASHFAN »

Well... freshmen to make roster (released 4 days ago) faceoff recruit.. howthe 2020 class is going, who is on the scrimmage schedule?
Zonesurgeon

Post by Zonesurgeon »

New class unfortunately looks pretty thin. Things may be taking a step backwards this year in C-town. Hoping to be proven wrong as a strong WAC team only helps the DIII landscape. All that being said, I can't wait to get down there in March this year and hear the banjo ring in the season. That tradition has got to be up there with the best in college sports. Would put it at a close second or third for best intro in college sports behind the Clemson Football run down the hill and maybe enter sandman for Virginia Tech Football. Curious what you guys think about it.
mdline

Post by mdline »

The roster shows 17 current freshmen. From a numbers perspective, that represents a sizable cohort of kids. 'Thin class' might be a reference to next year's freshmen class or talent, but the numbers are good as far as freshmen on campus now goes.
WASHFAN

Post by WASHFAN »

Saw they announced Captains, real honor for Rosario to make it as a junior he’s a great goalie, as for next years class of freshmen I hear they have 14 committed so far....

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”