Quinnipiac 2019

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Rockhopper

Quinnipiac 2019

Post by Rockhopper »

According to IL, Quinnipiac has suspended team activities pending the results of an investigation into alleged student misconduct.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... team/53100
Tdemling6

Re: Quinnipiac 2019

Post by Tdemling6 »

Ridiculous. Suspend the players that are guilty of the misconduct and the head coach. I get it's a team but let the innocent boys play. You would never see a university do this with basketball or football unless it was massively serious.
shaadb-man

Post by shaadb-man »

Most of the this has to do with hazing (program suspensions in general that is, maybe or maybe not this particular case. I do not know as it hasn't been released, but that would be my guess).. why does the coach get suspended? Is he at the off campus house cheering them on. The players need to take responsibility sometimes. They go through countless team, athletic, and student life meetings that tell them that this is not acceptable yet this continues to happen.
Tdemling6

Post by Tdemling6 »

shaadb-man wrote:Most of the this has to do with hazing (program suspensions in general that is, maybe or maybe not this particular case. I do not know as it hasn't been released, but that would be my guess).. why does the coach get suspended? Is he at the off campus house cheering them on. The players need to take responsibility sometimes. They go through countless team, athletic, and student life meetings that tell them that this is not acceptable yet this continues to happen.
100% agree with you hear. It's a culture in lacrosse and among sports in general that I don't think anyone is proud of. I have head people defend this behavior and say stuff like let college kids be college kids and have some fun. That is utterly wrong. I hope we see changes in lacrosse and across all college athletics.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

It's possible they don't know if the coaches were aware of whatever was going on and if so when they were aware of it, and how they did (or didn't) respond to it. That's what the investigation is for. The suspension doesn't necessarily mean further punitive action will be taken against the coaching staff. Until we know exactly what was going on here I think it's probably best not to blame any individual or group of individuals—but by the same token, probably shouldn't excuse anyone immediately either.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Rolling suspensions seems to be the answer, eh blue jay fans?
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
ramrod

Post by ramrod »

IL updated their story and the coaches have not been suspended
Update, 2:45 p.m. on Sept. 24:

This story originally included the line: "Sources have told IL that the suspension includes all coaches…" IL received clarification from a university spokesman on Monday afternoon that that is incorrect — the men's lacrosse team coaches have not been suspended.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

ramrod wrote:IL updated their story and the coaches have not been suspended
Update, 2:45 p.m. on Sept. 24:

This story originally included the line: "Sources have told IL that the suspension includes all coaches…" IL received clarification from a university spokesman on Monday afternoon that that is incorrect — the men's lacrosse team coaches have not been suspended.
Anyone actually have a real clue as to what happened?
Not a wild guess, but actual insight?
cuseman4133

Post by cuseman4133 »

Some details coming out on Quinnipiac. Not surprising.

https://twitter.com/CFJastrzembski/stat ... 6218050561
118:24 #HHH
sguy9

Post by sguy9 »

Blown way out of proportion. Coaches were not suspended. Not hazing, just underage drinking.
seriously?

Post by seriously? »

There's a couple of beers and then there's stupid.

Look at Penn State...
sguy9

Post by sguy9 »

Look at Penn State...
Are you delirious? Remind me to stay out of your team locker room.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

sguy9 wrote:Blown way out of proportion. Coaches were not suspended. Not hazing, just underage drinking.
Who are you suggesting blew this out of proportion? The school?

What are the actual facts and how do we know?
Given the actual facts, what should have been done and why?

I'm not saying you are wrong, sguy9, but are you certain and how do you know?

Not knowing ANY of the facts of this instance, my very general opinion is that schools are in quite a bind when it comes to underage drinking that is excessive and becomes known beyond the individual himself. Tragedies really do occur and schools really do get held responsible and accountable if they knew what was going on in specific instances and failed to take action.

For instance, Harvard had a serious issue last spring with its lax team holding a party that included many of the HS seniors slated to join the team this fall. Heavy drinking, then very sloppy, offensive behavior by several of the recruits in a public pizza joint towards some young women who happened to be Harvard athletes. Senior captains were suspended for a game and multiple of those recruits lost their offers of admission. It didn't hit the press, but that's what went down, as I've heard directly from one of last year's seniors and from multiple parents. I've not heard anyone (yet) say that the response wasn't appropriate, indeed last year's graduate said the team had thought they might lose the season altogether and were relieved that didn't happen.

On the other hand, the challenges for the schools and the kids are that when things do go wrong, often the incentive is to hide the behavior, even to the point of not taking a drunken, passed out student to the hospital...out of fear that the behavior will be known and then punished..tragedy in the works...
seriously?

Post by seriously? »

sguy9 wrote:
Look at Penn State...
https://www.npr.org/2018/08/01/63452467 ... zing-death

Think bigger picture
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Not out of proportion at all. The outlier seems to be sguy. Not very long ago one major program almost cancelled their season. Various programs in the last decade have altered their definition of what is acceptable
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

seriously? wrote:
sguy9 wrote:
Look at Penn State...
https://www.npr.org/2018/08/01/63452467 ... zing-death

Think bigger picture
It’s no big deal until someone dies....my guess is that the parents got an emergency room bill....
“I wish you would!”
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

MDlaxfan76 wrote:
sguy9 wrote:Blown way out of proportion. Coaches were not suspended. Not hazing, just underage drinking.

Not knowing ANY of the facts of this instance, my very general opinion is that schools are in quite a bind when it comes to underage drinking that is excessive and becomes known beyond the individual himself. Tragedies really do occur and schools really do get held responsible and accountable if they knew what was going on in specific instances and failed to take action.

For instance, Harvard had a serious issue last spring with its lax team holding a party that included many of the HS seniors slated to join the team this fall. Heavy drinking, then very sloppy, offensive behavior by several of the recruits in a public pizza joint towards some young women who happened to be Harvard athletes. Senior captains were suspended for a game and multiple of those recruits lost their offers of admission. It didn't hit the press, but that's what went down, as I've heard directly from one of last year's seniors and from multiple parents. I've not heard anyone (yet) say that the response wasn't appropriate, indeed last year's graduate said the team had thought they might lose the season altogether and were relieved that didn't happen.

On the other hand, the challenges for the schools and the kids are that when things do go wrong, often the incentive is to hide the behavior, even to the point of not taking a drunken, passed out student to the hospital...out of fear that the behavior will be known and then punished..tragedy in the works...
Why didn't this hit the press? SHould it now? It's not illegal to have an excel spreadsheet rating people by looks, yet we heard ALL about that. Remember, it's the stuff that isn't reported . The power of the dry quill.
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

runrussellrun wrote:
MDlaxfan76 wrote:

Why didn't this hit the press? SHould it now? It's not illegal to have an excel spreadsheet rating people by looks, yet we heard ALL about that. Remember, it's the stuff that isn't reported . The power of the dry quill.
I agree, it merited at least people knowing that a line had been drawn by Harvard. In my discussions with various parents I heard unanimity of view that the behavior was well beyond the pale and the withdrawal of admission offers was appropriate. And these were a couple of the very top recruits so a significant loss from a W-L perspective.

I did try to discuss it on the former LP but the moderators had a view that anything not actually reported publicly shouldn't be 'reported' on LP. Same was the case on some pretty outrageous behavior by the former assistants at HU during their 2-year tenure. And by a former HC at my own alma mater.

My sense was that there was/is an attitude of trying to protect the schools, the sport, and in the LP case, selectively protecting particular coaches.

My own view is that these are important issues and should be discussed as transparently as we can.

On the excel spreadsheet, I think that too was entirely appropriate for public coverage and discussion, just as is HU's recent dismissal of their new diving coach.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Part of the issue LaxPower has was separating the wheat from the chaff. In theory a published report has been vettted for authenticity. Some very outrageous statements have been made by posters for whatever reasons. Not all facts get reported either. There are still some interesting hanging chads on various lax issues I know about . In my experience fans of a particular progrN will deny facts, make up facts and in general rally to protect the program. On the flip side others will do the opposite.

Not an easy question to answer. I generally like the published report standard in order to avoid the anarchy of not having one.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Acanada wrote:Part of the issue LaxPower has was separating the wheat from the chaff. In theory a published report has been vettted for authenticity. Some very outrageous statements have been made by posters for whatever reasons. Not all facts get reported either. There are still some interesting hanging chads on various lax issues I know about . In my experience fans of a particular progrN will deny facts, make up facts and in general rally to protect the program. On the flip side others will do the opposite.

Not an easy question to answer. I generally like the published report standard in order to avoid the anarchy of not having one.
Quite fair position, albeit the net effect is to keep issues covered up and not discussed. We know the instincts of various institutions has been, and will be, to cover anything and everything up that they can get away with, and that, at least in my opinion, is detrimental to addressing serious issues before they get much worse.

My own view is that if one has close knowledge of a serious situation that view is useful to our understanding of any particular such issue but shouldn't be considered as determinative of certain truth. That's why discussion and alternate views can compete for credibility. It's not that hard to gauge who is worth listening to based upon looking at the body of their prior posts. For instance, I'm highly suspicious when someone posts just a handful of times attacking someone or some program...but if a frequent poster who has built up credibility raises an issue that should be weighed more heavily. Doesn't mean the new poster should be ignored, but it's easy to see why their post would be weighed less in the discourse.

To my mind, the culture of our sport and the safety of our kids are far more important to address than just what play a coach calls from the sideline...

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”