Sensible Gun Safety

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
wahoomurf

Re: Sensible Gun Control

Post by wahoomurf »

Trinity wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:27 pm Trump golfed all day. Then promised to address the mental illness issue tomorrow. Not his. His supplicant’s. I don’t imagine he’ll sing Amazing Grace.
AMAZING GRACE?Wasn't she one of the 5 or 6 "little flowers" Epstein offered to DD-K a few years ago? Perhaps I'm confusing that AG with the "fluff girl" that kept JOHNNY "The WADD" Holmes "focused"?
DMac

Post by DMac »

No, this is amazing Grace singing...well, Amazing Grace (like no other).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6s-NRCChB9A
LandM

Post by LandM »

CU77
There were enough calls to police on the Parkland kid but nothing got done. He has his rights. But when you create laws to protect everyone and everything something has to give. Based on readings today, same in Ohio and I will assume same in TX. What laws are gonna protect who? And no one is gonna stop illegal guns, pick a weapon, look no further then parts of any major city.

My kid got a concussion against UVA. Tell wife in 3rd period and he played old school until end of game. At tailgate trainer says he was ambulanced to hospital. Ask if it was concussion- HIPPA. Get to hospital and because he is over 18 he has to authorize us. HIPPA. Two hours later they get him back seeing with two eyes and he consents. We could have helped through the process.

There needs to be rules and laws not questioning that. But rationale people may break a few and understand the consequences. Irrational people take advantage of laws to do irrational things. As Andersen wrote, tweak what is in place and not grandstand and point fingers and curse on tv and in print and say look at what I am doing. To me that just causes an irrational person to be a martyr. Lots of blame to go around. IMHO start on mental health - bi-polar is a nasty thing.

Finally in my recent travels if you honestly believe people in Wyoming, Montana, North and South Dakota, Nevada, parts of CO, Texas, Kansas, Iowa, Nebraska, Indiana (I will stop) are gonna give up their high powered guns you would be sorely mistaken.
Best
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

LandM wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:28 pm CU77
There were enough calls to police on the Parkland kid but nothing got done. He has his rights. But when you create laws to protect everyone and everything something has to give. Based on readings today, same in Ohio and I will assume same in TX. What laws are gonna protect who? And no one is gonna stop illegal guns, pick a weapon, look no further then parts of any major city.

My kid got a concussion against UVA. Tell wife in 3rd period and he played old school until end of game. At tailgate trainer says he was ambulanced to hospital. Ask if it was concussion- HIPPA. Get to hospital and because he is over 18 he has to authorize us. HIPPA. Two hours later they get him back seeing with two eyes and he consents. We could have helped through the process.

There needs to be rules and laws not questioning that. But rationale people may break a few and understand the consequences. Irrational people take advantage of laws to do irrational things. As Andersen wrote, tweak what is in place and not grandstand and point fingers and curse on tv and in print and say look at what I am doing. To me that just causes an irrational person to be a martyr. Lots of blame to go around. IMHO start on mental health - bi-polar is a nasty thing.

Finally in my recent travels if you honestly believe people in Wyoming, Montana, North and South Dakota, Nevada, parts of CO, Texas, Kansas, Iowa, Nebraska, Indiana (I will stop) are gonna give up their high powered guns you would be sorely mistaken.
Best
They can have the gun. Tax the hell out of the ammo and the weapons.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

attaboy TLD, keep the riff raff away from their Constitutional rights. Gotta keep remembering to forget that this country is about those that can pay.
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
CU77

Post by CU77 »

LandM wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:28 pmFinally in my recent travels if you honestly believe people in Wyoming, Montana, North and South Dakota, Nevada, parts of CO, Texas, Kansas, Iowa, Nebraska, Indiana (I will stop) are gonna give up their high powered guns you would be sorely mistaken.
And we could have said the same about smoking 50 years ago. Or about driving drunk. Or about gay marriage.

Times change, people change, attitudes change. The longest journey begins with a single step.
Typical Lax Dad

runrussellrun wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:56 pm attaboy TLD, keep the riff raff away from their Constitutional rights. Gotta keep remembering to forget that this country is about those that can pay.
The Government can give away free muskets with ammo.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

CU77 wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:22 am
LandM wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:28 pmFinally in my recent travels if you honestly believe people in Wyoming, Montana, North and South Dakota, Nevada, parts of CO, Texas, Kansas, Iowa, Nebraska, Indiana (I will stop) are gonna give up their high powered guns you would be sorely mistaken.
And we could have said the same about smoking 50 years ago. Or about driving drunk. Or about gay marriage.

Times change, people change, attitudes change. The longest journey begins with a single step.
Yup, let's legalize weed and provide safe places to shoot heroin.....we're on the right track.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:09 am
runrussellrun wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:56 pm attaboy TLD, keep the riff raff away from their Constitutional rights. Gotta keep remembering to forget that this country is about those that can pay.
The Government can give away free muskets with ammo.
tim mcviegh , or would that be Lord Jeff Amherst.....the original north american terrorist. Neither used guns.
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
hooligan88

Post by hooligan88 »

Trinity wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:41 pm The tough guy Texas shooter spells Trump’s name out in guns on his Facebook page and mimics his racist language. Then he shoots babies. Let’s talk about video games.
This was proven to be fake!!!
hooligan88

Post by hooligan88 »

ggait wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:51 am Keith Edwards
‏ @keithedwards

2019 mass shootings:

🇦🇹 0
🇩🇰 0
🇫🇮 0
🇩🇪 0
🇮🇹 0
🇮🇪 0
🇱🇺 0
🇨🇭 0
🇬🇧 0
🇭🇺 0
🇪🇸 0
🇵🇹 0
🇸🇬 0
🇸🇦 0
🇧🇪 0
🇸🇪 0
🇦🇺 0
🇫🇷 0
🇳🇿 1
🇳🇱 1
🇧🇷 1
🇨🇦 1
🇲🇽 3
🇺🇸 249
12:49 PM - 3 Aug 2019

FYI, all of these countries have video games and crazy people.

It also depends on how these countries report the crime. Most will not report it right, just to look good. its called censorship.
hooligan88

Post by hooligan88 »

In London guns and knives are banned. Here is a article of the murders for this year so far.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/8273147/l ... rate-2019/
hooligan88

Post by hooligan88 »

Some of the moronic post on here make me wonder. Especially the racist rants against so called "white" people. there have 250 mass shooters this year. And they come from all races. In fact there are far less whites than others. So please look around for the correct info. BTW, i am a Native American. So i am coming from a non biased view. As far as i know none of the 250 suspects were Native. But i usually do not care about the ethnicity. But the media sure likes to parade the white shooters around.
DMac

Post by DMac »

youthathletics wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:31 am

Yup, let's legalize weed and provide safe places to shoot heroin.....we're on the right track.
C'mon youth, this kind of talk comes from frustration no doubt but has little to nothing to do with the problem at hand. I do lean toward yes, legalize them, though and here's why:
https://mises.org/wire/ending-gun-viole ... g-drug-war

As for CU77's suggestion for starting with one step, how bout anyone on antidepressants has to give up their right to buy/own guns? If you didn't watch this when I posted it earlier, watch it and you'll understand the reason for my suggestion.
https://www.cchrflorida.org/antidepress ... shootings/
I don't know the law in other states but I do know if you get a medical marijuana prescription here in NY you give up your right to have a gun. Marijuana isn't (never has) effecting people the way these prescription drugs are (and there are tons and tons of people who these are pushed on legally), so why aren't all those folks who are suffering from anxiety prohibited from getting guns? Your children need antidepressants, they give up their right to have a gun. You need Xanax, turn in your guns to get the prescription. I realize it's a complex issue but I do believe that's one step in the right direction.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

hooligan88 wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:19 am Some of the moronic post on here make me wonder. Especially the racist rants against so called "white" people. there have 250 mass shooters this year. And they come from all races. In fact there are far less whites than others. So please look around for the correct info. BTW, i am a Native American. So i am coming from a non biased view. As far as i know none of the 250 suspects were Native. But i usually do not care about the ethnicity. But the media sure likes to parade the white shooters around.
ok, I'll bite hooligan. (I responded to you also on another thread).

Seems to me that you are conflating the gun issue with the racial hate ideology issue.

They're not the same, though they do overlap at times.

But they should be addressed separately.

The gun violence over drugs and gang turf, and reciprocal revenge violence is not racially motivated. Separate those out from the rest of the violence classified as 'mass shootings". They're relevant to the gun discussion, but not to the racial motivation discussion.

Excluding the drug-related violence, you'll find that, yes, there is a predominance of white shooters beyond the demographics. But is this really about 'race'? I don't think so, at least not necessarily.

But where it definitely IS about race is when the motivations have to do with white supremacy/white nationalism hate ideology. That's way, way up...according to the FBI. Not that it hasn't been a thread over the years, but it's dramatically accelerated in the last few years.

I believe that Chris Wray said last week that 40% of domestic terror interdictions in the past year were specifically related to white racism.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

DMac wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:45 am
youthathletics wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:31 am

C'mon youth, this kind of talk comes from frustration no doubt but has little to nothing to do with the problem at hand. I do lean toward yes, legalize them, though and here's why:
https://mises.org/wire/ending-gun-viole ... g-drug-war

As for CU77's suggestion for starting with one step, how bout anyone on antidepressants has to give up their right to buy/own guns? If you didn't watch this when I posted it earlier, watch it and you'll understand the reason for my suggestion.
https://www.cchrflorida.org/antidepress ... shootings/
I don't know the law in other states but I do know if you get a medical marijuana prescription here in NY you give up your right to have a gun. Marijuana isn't (never has) effecting people the way these prescription drugs are (and there are tons and tons of people who these are pushed on legally), so why aren't all those folks who are suffering from anxiety prohibited from getting guns? Your children need antidepressants, they give up their right to have a gun. You need Xanax, turn in your guns to get the prescription. I realize it's a complex issue but I do believe that's one step in the right direction.
The better terms than legalize or legalization are probably decriminalize and decriminalization. Take the profit out, but control access, help with addiction, etc. Discourage usage, but get the criminals out of the process.
LandM

Post by LandM »

TLD
A Native is given a lax stick on birth in Upstate as I have been told. A rancher kid is given a pellet gun upon birth and is slowly trained to use the big boys. Someone has to ensure the cows, sheep and horses are not prey. In high school most of my friends were rancher kids and most took over the ranch. Every truck had a rack with multiple guns and ammo under the seat. Trucks were never locked and never an incident. You can tax the he$$ out of them but that is not gonna change a thing IMHO. In my travels did not see the racks as they were visible on the person.

CU77
Used Copenhagen from 12 to 24 - stopped as dentist stated I would lose my front teeth and get cancer and be dead in a few years - no law or tax required, rational thinking;
In my small world of Canandaigua, Telluride, and PSU football - biggest issue is DUI. Need a law - yes - need multiple laws and levels no. Habits changed a bit but it is a great marketing tool for Uber and Lyft;
Gay marriage - when I was in the military there was no Don't ask policy - did I serve with gays, yes did anyone really care - NOPE. As the officer I was suppose to report did I or anyone that I know do it - NOPE. 95% of the people I served with did not care BUT the politicians got to thump chest for a law that said gays could not serve being overturned by a law that said they could serve. Laws and media hype from a small band of people;
Finally my nephew gets married - 4th bridesmaid was 6'5", 250, full beard, hairy arms and legs with tats, could have played football anywhere. He wore the same blue dress as his fellow bridesmaids. I thought it was awesome my liberal wife, aunt and uncle's jaws dropped. My mom was piped in via facetime and I had to cut the volume as she said multiple times that my dad would be rolling in his grave. Spent 30 minutes with and getting to know the person. My wife is still mentioning daily how he kept his hand on my shoulder - wish he could have gotten the left shoulder to loosen a bit :D
We all evolve and change and IMHO you do not need a law for that.
Best
ggait

Post by ggait »

A rancher kid is given a pellet gun upon birth and is slowly trained to use the big boys. Someone has to ensure the cows, sheep and horses are not prey. In high school most of my friends were rancher kids and most took over the ranch. Every truck had a rack with multiple guns and ammo under the seat.
But the rancher kids don't grow up around, own or use machine guns or sawed off shot guns. Because those have been effectively banned since the 1930s. They also don't grow up around flame throwers and rocket launchers.

We had the AR-15/big mag issue mostly handled from 94-04. Even freaking Reagan supported the ban!!!! Had we simply continued that reasonable policy (perhaps with some needed revisions), those ranch kids wouldn't have grown up around them and relatively few people would own them. Since the newest legal ARs would now be 25 years old.

Instead we dumbly re-opened that toothpaste tube in 2004, due to a bunch of NRA propaganda, hysteria and campaign contributions. Instead of having the AR issue become even smaller and smaller as more time passed, we started adding a million new ARs to the pile every year.

Beyond idiotic.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
Typical Lax Dad

LandM wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:30 am TLD
A Native is given a lax stick on birth in Upstate as I have been told. A rancher kid is given a pellet gun upon birth and is slowly trained to use the big boys. Someone has to ensure the cows, sheep and horses are not prey. In high school most of my friends were rancher kids and most took over the ranch. Every truck had a rack with multiple guns and ammo under the seat. Trucks were never locked and never an incident. You can tax the he$$ out of them but that is not gonna change a thing IMHO. In my travels did not see the racks as they were visible on the person.

CU77
Used Copenhagen from 12 to 24 - stopped as dentist stated I would lose my front teeth and get cancer and be dead in a few years - no law or tax required, rational thinking;
In my small world of Canandaigua, Telluride, and PSU football - biggest issue is DUI. Need a law - yes - need multiple laws and levels no. Habits changed a bit but it is a great marketing tool for Uber and Lyft;
Gay marriage - when I was in the military there was no Don't ask policy - did I serve with gays, yes did anyone really care - NOPE. As the officer I was suppose to report did I or anyone that I know do it - NOPE. 95% of the people I served with did not care BUT the politicians got to thump chest for a law that said gays could not serve being overturned by a law that said they could serve. Laws and media hype from a small band of people;
Finally my nephew gets married - 4th bridesmaid was 6'5", 250, full beard, hairy arms and legs with tats, could have played football anywhere. He wore the same blue dress as his fellow bridesmaids. I thought it was awesome my liberal wife, aunt and uncle's jaws dropped. My mom was piped in via facetime and I had to cut the volume as she said multiple times that my dad would be rolling in his grave. Spent 30 minutes with and getting to know the person. My wife is still mentioning daily how he kept his hand on my shoulder - wish he could have gotten the left shoulder to loosen a bit :D
We all evolve and change and IMHO you do not need a law for that.
Best
In parts of Ohio, kids are given a football upon birth. We have too many guns with too easy an access in this country.

Return to “POLITICS”