2020 Elections - Trump FIRED

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Farfromgeneva

Re: 2020 Elections - A Reckoning

Post by Farfromgeneva »

holmes435 wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:28 pm I hear that a lot. "It won't work over here because of yada yada yada"

So if we see countries like Germany, Denmark, Sweden, the Netherlands, France or others doing something successfully and better than we do, we shouldn't even attempt it because we're bigger. Or we shouldn't try because they have unrelated issues in-country that aren't as good as the US.

We used to roll up our sleeves and get to work when we saw a good idea. Now we're so divided we won't give an idea a second glance if it doesn't come from our group.

And as far as healthcare goes, I'm not hearing much in the way of any plans or solutions from the right side of the aisle. Just complaints.
I haven’t complained at all, just even though I don’t really stand with them on most topics, took issue with making the idea that because were not #1 in healthcare and some don’t want to model after those above due to many legitimate reasons and think you grossly overestimate the total quality of life over I europe or Canada, as someone else just pointed out, missing the true costs of their “better” care when all transfer pricing is tallies up and also reject your implicit argument that scale doesn’t matter. Every public or more generous proposal makes the argument that scale matters but in a positive manner only. Or at least only discuss the gains and try to make the costs as opaque as possible. I’m suggesting there’s not nearly enough analysis on the true costs and is the scale could have a detrimental effect. It’s all theory but to put it in play the onus is on the ones proposing change, especially rational change, to make the case, not the other way around. Persuade skeptics, opponents or others, don’t just point and cry at the other side because they’re being whatever they are being (lots of sh**ty things I’ll concede/agree).

There’s a very legitimate argument to devise something unique to our country, ideally with as much participation as possible but at least a plausible supermajority or some kind (ie not 50.1%) rather than adopt someone else’s who’s been deemed successful that isn’t just bad boy tea party/trump/flyover/maga whatever you want cohort opposition to adopting someone else plan for ourselves.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
a fan

Post by a fan »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:34 pm I’m suggesting there’s not nearly enough analysis on the true costs and is the scale could have a detrimental effect. It’s all theory but to put it in play the onus is on the ones proposing change, especially rational change, to make the case, not the other way around. Persuade skeptics, opponents or others, don’t just point and cry at the other side because they’re being whatever they are being (lots of sh**ty things I’ll concede/agree).
You're not making sense.

You're asking that we come up with a system that doesn't exist, and forecast that it will work well using no data.

The reason policy wonks suggest we model our new system on Canada's or Finland's, or simply to expand Medicare is that we have decades of data from each system, so that we can make an educated guess as to how it might function if we tried it in the US.

What you are arguing is ---bollocks to that "because" that data is imperfect and may not apply to the much larger country that is America. "Therefore", we should instead make up a brand new system.

That's silly.
a fan

Post by a fan »

LandM wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:50 pm Holmes - I placed this in here because you used the term ignorance. Here are three great examples just driving around North America the past two weeks:
1. Go to a pub in Canada and just talk to regulars - they really are not all that happy with their healthcare system and they are really unhappy with the taxes they pay. Shopping in Canada, having a beer and shot at the pub - man not sure how the average person survives up there - it is double US and most patrons we encountered who had lived in the states want to move back after the family issues are resolved. Informal 11 plus pubs probably 60 people but we did get an earful.
2. During same said pub conversations not allot of happy folks either with Trudeau nor his dad and the UK thing - do not get them started :lol: We were actually told the US government was better run country - swear on a stack of bibles, I rolled out of the bar stool a few times and it was not from too many drinks :D
You're in Western Canada during an energy boom. What did you think you'd hear?

Ask them again when the bust cycle hits.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Isn't it more about corruption, greed, bonuses, lobbyists, and the raping (no vasline) of patients in the US? How many ads do you see on TV in a day encouraging you to check with your doctor for the pill that's going to make you feel better and improve your life? No way pill pushers should be allowed to advertise (entice/encourage) the way they do.
https://www.consumerreports.org/prescri ... edication/
The whole game is crooked, health for profit (gluttonous profit) is a paradise for the immoral and unethical. See insulin.
a fan

Post by a fan »

I will never understand how you can possibly look at the US system and say anything other than....we need to blow this up and start from scratch.

When farfromgeneva talks about how big America is....i want to know why we don't have the cheapest drugs in the world? Our purchasing power is sitting on the sidelines while we're being raped by pharmaceutical companies.

And did anyone see the post that showed that 100% of the drugs approved by the FDA in a ten year span received Federal R&D money?

So where's our cut of the profits? Oh, right, we don't demand that. We just give the money away so that McConnell and Pelosi can get their campaign checks every year.

Canada pays half of what we pay per year. Half. And we can't do better? Come on.
LandM

Post by LandM »

Afan,
I think the good peoples of ND, TX, and PA have benefited from the same. They are hard working people making a buck.

My Canada point is maybe that is not a business model to follow. I saw the good, bad, and ugly with my wife in chemo and radiation. I have mocked the VA for being 70% could be 100% when we get done with PTSD and CTE disability - that is your tax dollars. Blow it up it will not bother me nor most but free is not free as someone has to pay for it. I wrote a few pages back that maybe some hard decisions need to be made. It frees up allot of cash flow but the emotions get in the way but IMHO free for everyone is not the right answer and that also comes from professionals in Montreal, Toronto, Geneva, Paris, Berlin and let me know when I should stop.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

LandM wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:13 pm Afan,
I think the good peoples of ND, TX, and PA have benefited from the same. They are hard working people making a buck.

My Canada point is maybe that is not a business model to follow. I saw the good, bad, and ugly with my wife in chemo and radiation. I have mocked the VA for being 70% could be 100% when we get done with PTSD and CTE disability - that is your tax dollars. Blow it up it will not bother me nor most but free is not free as someone has to pay for it. I wrote a few pages back that maybe some hard decisions need to be made. It frees up allot of cash flow but the emotions get in the way but IMHO free for everyone is not the right answer and that also comes from professionals in Montreal, Toronto, Geneva, Paris, Berlin and let me know when I should stop.
We could very easily develop a subsidized system. I have client that is a big pharma concern, 80% EBITDA margin which will soon cross 2 bills. Public money helped. And guess what, no taxes.... this is what is coming next:

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/health/wha ... an-for-you

The drug seller just bought the customer. Yeah....this will be good for the customer.
Last edited by Typical Lax Dad on Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
LandM

Post by LandM »

Afan
Also in Canandaigua you can get a 30 pack Coors light for $23 and Jim or Jack at 750 ML for $15. In Canada Coors pack is almost $50 ($35 after conversion) and the sidecar is 2.5 times. Someone is paying for that.

Plus we got a 30% roughly discount using a US cc and US cash and transferring money 30% to the dollar. Someone is paying for that.
Typical Lax Dad

LandM wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:25 pm Afan
Also in Canandaigua you can get a 30 pack Coors light for $23 and Jim or Jack at 750 ML for $15. In Canada Coors pack is almost $50 ($35 after conversion) and the sidecar is 2.5 times. Someone is paying for that.

Plus we got a 30% roughly discount using a US cc and US cash and transferring money 30% to the dollar. Someone is paying for that.
In West Va. cigarettes are cheap. They cost $10.00 in Mass. I wonder why?
old salt

Post by old salt »

Andersen wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:31 am
Russian bots are pushing Tulsi attack on Harris with a hashtag.
You got that right. Lot's of weird stuff around Tulsi and Russia/Putin.
Don't forget Jill Stein & Moscow Mitch.
ABV 8.3%

Post by ABV 8.3% »

old salt wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:34 am
Tulsi Gabbard, what weird stuff? She's monsterous too :roll:

Yes, I got the "playbook" emails from the DNC

3. constant talking points to destroy Tulsi

Syrian toadie
Hates homo's
russian bot

24/7....keep the lies.....I mean narrative, going.
Last edited by ABV 8.3% on Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
oligarchy thanks you......same as it evah was
Andersen

Post by Andersen »

Yep, the fix is in again. :roll:
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

LandM wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:50 pm Holmes - I placed this in here because you used the term ignorance. Here are three great examples just driving around North America the past two weeks:
1. Go to a pub in Canada and just talk to regulars - they really are not all that happy with their healthcare system and they are really unhappy with the taxes they pay. Shopping in Canada, having a beer and shot at the pub - man not sure how the average person survives up there - it is double US and most patrons we encountered who had lived in the states want to move back after the family issues are resolved. Informal 11 plus pubs probably 60 people but we did get an earful.
2. During same said pub conversations not allot of happy folks either with Trudeau nor his dad and the UK thing - do not get them started :lol: We were actually told the US government was better run country - swear on a stack of bibles, I rolled out of the bar stool a few times and it was not from too many drinks :D
Yeah, you're gonna get different opinions in a country with 30+ million people. I work with a few guys around Toronto on some lacrosse stuff and their opinion is 180 from a lot of that - they also send me messages about Trump once in a while and just can't believe the stuff he says and does and how terrible they think he is.

We also chat about healthcare once in a while when discussing injuries and things surrounding games and tournaments and they can't believe the hoops I have to jump through to get insurance and then see a doctor if I actually get hurt. These guys aren't upper crust elites either, they're in construction and pretty happy with their lot.
ABV 8.3%

Post by ABV 8.3% »

Andersen wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:39 am Yep, the fix is in again. :roll:
For whom?

Sabre rattling Lizzie ? How did she vote on the scandalous budget buster yesterday?

Oh, that's right, the only US Senator's running for President that actually did vote was Gillabrand & Bennett. Kamaala, Booker, Bernie, and of course Liz couldn't be bothered. Or, is it something else.

DO YOUR JOB ! You are paid to VOTE. Do IT. Where they even in DC yesterday, or out stumping?
ABV 8.3%

Post by ABV 8.3% »

1. Go to a pub in Canada and just talk to regulars - they really are not all that happy with their healthcare system and they are really unhappy with the taxes they pay. Who isn't ? Shopping in Canada, having a beer and shot at the pub - man not sure how the average person survives up there - it is double US and most patrons we encountered who had lived in the states want to move back after the family issues are resolved. Informal 11 plus pubs probably 60 people but we did get an earful. Weed is free, and LEGAL now. :?: ;) gouge away.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiUNDeuBbi8

2. During same said pub conversations not allot of happy folks either with Trudeau nor his dad and the UK thing - do not get them started :lol: We were actually told the US government was better run country - swear on a stack of bibles, I rolled out of the bar stool a few times and it was not from too many drinks :D My experience is that most people who go drinking in a bar are unhappy, especially if alone.
3. Last night we parked at a park outside of Glacier in Montana AWESOME ! - Sioux and Blackfoot owned - spoke with the camp manager and they do not allow tent camping as a grizzly and two cubs have been dumpster diving so they have traps set-up. They have six tepees set-up which they want to rent but the grizzly. He is both Sioux and Blackfoot - he said the big open field on the 4th of July was used for fireworks, bands, smores, and traditional dance. Now who would have thought that a group oppressed would celebrate the 4th in that manner? Well, "sioux" is a hateful term for the Lakota's. Like calling an Irish guy a mic. Other tribes came up with that term. Oppression: since the dawn of man. Then to shock, he also said he was a Christian, now who would have thought that - he started with the sweat lodge, moved to Catholicism, and now Christian. In fairness, he had no clue what a lacrosse stick was all about - "a net catching a ball" is how he termed it:shock: They still play boreball in Baltimore. I know right.....

If we are going to repatriate funds - does the grizzly and her cubs get to participate?
Best
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

ABV 8.3% wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:21 am
old salt wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:34 am
Tulsi Gabbard, what weird stuff? She's monsterous too :roll:

Yes, I got the "playbook" emails from the DNC

3. constant talking points to destroy Tulsi

Syrian toadie
Hates homo's
russian bot

24/7....keep the lies.....I mean narrative, going.
Embarrassing...Kamala is toast & Tulsi kicked her arse, oops, I mean Russia did :lol: . https://www.instagram.com/p/B0pT9IWn4Zl ... pU0/?hl=en
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Typical Lax Dad

I didn’t know calling a Lakota “Sioux” was a slur. Can you link something that documents that. I believe it’s a sub tribe and Lakota can very much be proud of the heritage. I just did not know that Sioux was considered a slur. I know people that call anyone “Asian” a “Chiney” and that is definitely a slur. I correct the clowns. Same goes for “mic”...no question about the intent. An honest inquiry... not me ball busting.

EDIT: found it. Learned something new today: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oglala

My only question regarding the equivalency of "Sioux" versus say "mic" is whether the person, generally, using the term Sioux knows that it is offensive.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

ABV 8.3% wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:37 am
Andersen wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:39 am Yep, the fix is in again. :roll:
For whom?

Sabre rattling Lizzie ? How did she vote on the scandalous budget buster yesterday?

Oh, that's right, the only US Senator's running for President that actually did vote was Gillabrand & Bennett. Kamaala, Booker, Bernie, and of course Liz couldn't be bothered. Or, is it something else.

DO YOUR JOB ! You are paid to VOTE. Do IT. Where they even in DC yesterday, or out stumping?
I'd generally agree, but I wouldn't sweat Senators or Reps being on the Campaign trail during legislative sessions, unless the vote is going to be close. This wasn't going to be close.

I'm not as concerned about "You are paid to VOTE" as "You are paid to Represent us" meaning you are paid to understand the issues and legislate appropriately. That means actually understanding the issues, meaning lots of committee work, hearings, meetings with various experts, listening to constituents, working with fellow legislators to craft better solutions, etc. Voting is just the last step.

The process of campaigning, whether locally or nationally, should be mostly about listening and learning, crafting a vision for the future. I'm cool with that being these folks' priority...but when legislation is going to be close, they should indeed be voting.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:02 am I didn’t know calling a Lakota “Sioux” was a slur. Can you link something that documents that. I believe it’s a sub tribe and Lakota can very much be proud of the heritage. I just did not know that Sioux was considered a slur. I know people that call anyone “Asian” a “Chiney” and that is definitely a slur. I correct the clowns. Same goes for “mic”...no question about the intent. An honest inquiry... not me ball busting.

EDIT: found it. Learned something new today: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oglala

My only question regarding the equivalency of "Sioux" versus say "mic" is whether the person, generally, using the term Sioux knows that it is offensive.
Interesting, I was unaware as well.

Hopefully, the Ogala folks who find it problematic are reasonably tolerant of those simply uninformed, as "Sioux" in common parlance certainly isn't intended as a slur...that is unless you are Ojibwe! :)

I agree that 'mic' and all sorts of other such terms are intended to be offensive, quite a difference.

Folks tend to get bent out of shape when asked to alter their language, as if the request is labelling them as 'racist' due to their past usage. But that's not at all the point of the request, rather it's simply to inform as to the preferred terminology going forward. Seems to me that if someone gets bent out of shape and persists in using language considered offensive by those it describes, NOW we're moving toward a 'racist' choice.

Lots of such situations.

I confess that I'm struggling with the gender stuff as it seems that there's little consensus as to how to navigate that terrain. I don't have any problem if someone lets me know what they'd prefer as pertaining to them specifically, but awful tricky otherwise!

In general, I think we need to cut each other some slack and look at the totality of a person's heart with regard to respect for the feelings of others, and not be too judgmental of less informed 'mistakes' in language.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

What does the "C" stand for in the NAACP?

Use that word today....oh boy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCCssEas6LE
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"

Return to “POLITICS”