Future Championship Sites

D1 Womens Lacrosse
BCLaxfan02

Future Championship Sites

Post by BCLaxfan02 »

A constant theme in the lacrosse game is "growing the sport". That theme does not appear to be consistent with the locations of the sport's championship locations being 4 years in a row in Maryland. I'm sure this has been discussed before ... why keep the location the same? Does UMD wield power with the NCAA? Seems to provide an advantage to the mid-Atlantic teams. Also, I was at the last two final fours, and Stony Brook was a much more pleasant experience compared to Baltimore. Just my opinion. Any insights would be appreciated.
Twittledee

Re: Future Championship Sites

Post by Twittledee »

I agree, BC. Many cool venues out there. PSU, OSU, and Richmond are three sites that come to mind with nice venues and supportive communities.
BCLaxfan02

Post by BCLaxfan02 »

Yes agreed to spread the sites around (like all D1 sports do?).
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

Agree totally. Stony brook was a great venue. Having it in Maryland so often def advantage to some team's. Def many other places to hold a final 4
BCLaxfan02

Post by BCLaxfan02 »

Has the NCAA given a reason? I cant think of any NCAA championships that are hosted at the same location year over year.
Turtles Lax

Hope the OP has donned his/her tin foil hat.

Post by Turtles Lax »

:roll:

Good grief! First of all, YOUR Natty Champs love to travel (back to back games AT Florida by request of Coach Cathy...graciously accommodated by Coach O’Leary) and if playing in the great state of Maryland, The Hop venue is the LEAST preferred venue in all of Maryland. e.g. The ‘greatest tailgate’ this year, first night, was in a rented space in a church parking lot NOT on The Hop campus. Second night was a 1/2 mile walk away. No worries...but very fan UNFRIENDLY. Add to this was the fact many fans missed the opening draw on Sunday b/c The Hop was wholly unprepared.

So...put another layer in your tin foil hat. :o

Peace, out.

TL
Turtles Lax

That said...

Post by Turtles Lax »

...Towson U is a great venue. Easy parking...relatively easy access...great tailgating sites...for ALL teams.

Remember, (but you should know :| ) teams do not control the venue...sites bid. NCAA selects.

Re: sbu site in 2018, the VERY BEST thing that happened was sbu was NOT PLAYING. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Peace, out.

TL
laxinforlife

Post by laxinforlife »

Barton field at the University of Denver would be an awesome venue for the National Championships!
BCLaxfan02

Post by BCLaxfan02 »

Ha TL love reading your enthusiastic posts. I'm just curious why the NCAA selected MD four years in a row. Just seems inconsistent with all other sports and seems to be off message for "fastest growing sport". It's like having the NCAA Hockey Frozen Four played in Boston four years in a row. Further, Baltimore is the Detroit of the East Coast. There are so many other host city options. Baffling.

Oh and yes SBU > Hopkins for host stadiums. It's relatively brand new and didn't have fold out tables as "Concession Stands". Felt High Schhool-ish.
BCLaxfan02

Post by BCLaxfan02 »

Also, great on YOUR Natty Champs MD for scheduling long distance travel games. But there is a difference in scheduling regular season games.and having the Final Four a bus ride away four years in a row. Understood the NCAA selects the host site. I figure MD, UVA, Georgetown, JMU, etc. uses that nugget as a recruiting tool / advantage.
Bart

Post by Bart »

I believe the host site has to put a bid in to host said championships. NC$$ then chooses site based on bids and the you know what the NC$$ cares about..............
Maryland75

Post by Maryland75 »

The field is always 110 yards x 60 yards, where it is located in relation to any particular school should not make any difference. Northwestern won 5 straight championships at Stony Brook, Penn, Boston University and Towson. None of these locations are anywhere close to Chicago yet they still won. The NCAA picks the site based on the bids and yes I’m sure money and revenue are considered.
BCLaxfan02

Post by BCLaxfan02 »

That is all true, but from a "growing the sport" perspective and competitive balance perspective, the NCAA is not doing the sport a favor by playing the Championship four years in a row in MD. Just my opinion.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

BCLaxfan02 wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:24 am That is all true, but from a "growing the sport" perspective and competitive balance perspective, the NCAA is not doing the sport a favor by playing the Championship four years in a row in MD. Just my opinion.
The last four sites were Baltimore, MD; Stony Brook, NY; Foxborough, MA; Chester, PA.
Turtles Lax

Understood and agree.

Post by Turtles Lax »

To those of you who think the game can be grown by spreading around the Natty ‘Ship sites, TL wholly agrees. GOOD ON YA!

Have missed nary a one since the second greatest Turtles team in the history of the sport beat Georgetown in 2001, TL offers the best site remains Towson...with Gillette Stadium a strong second. sbu is actually a very nice venue, too.

BUT...as noted in another thread, TL believes the BEST way to grow the sport would (will!) be when a team from west of the Mississippi wins a ‘Ship.

And TL (with lotsa pals) will travel ANYWHERE the Natty ‘Ship is contested.

Peace, out.

TL
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

One thing that guarantees at least a decent sized crowd no matter where host is located - and correct me if I am mistaken - I believe the Schoolgirls National Tournament is held in the same location (at a nearby venue) as the National Championship is played. So you already have those 60+ teams (and parents) nearby to attend the games in addition to any other fans.

This could help if attendance is one of the concerns for holding the tournament in a non-traditional area. Not quite sure where this info fits in to growing the game, but just something to keep in mind.
BCLaxfan02

Post by BCLaxfan02 »

wlaxnut wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:39 pm
BCLaxfan02 wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:24 am That is all true, but from a "growing the sport" perspective and competitive balance perspective, the NCAA is not doing the sport a favor by playing the Championship four years in a row in MD. Just my opinion.
The last four sites were Baltimore, MD; Stony Brook, NY; Foxborough, MA; Chester, PA.
Hey wlaxnut, they sure were! I'm referring to the next three seasons in MD.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

BCLaxfan02 wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:45 pm
wlaxnut wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:39 pm
Hey wlaxnut, they sure were! I'm referring to the next three seasons in MD.
Oh—I see
harflax

Post by harflax »

Towson has plenty of parking and is an ideal site. Hopkins has major limitations in regards to parking and concessions.
Bobby-Lax

Post by Bobby-Lax »

The issue of combining D1 + D2 + D3 championships at one site was brought up to the IWLCA championship committee recently. The answer was:

"D1 Coaches and Representatives had no interest in even talking about this topic"

"Gothard (IWLCA Director) was "shocked" at the D1's coach position"

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”