D1 Mens Lacrosse
admin
Site Admin

Re: Cornell 2020

Post by admin »

SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

The 1976 national championship game still ranks as the most exciting and best quality lacrosse game I’ve ever been in the stands for. The number of AAs on both sides was amazing. The streaky scoring kept everyone on the edge of their seats. Eamon showed why he’s still considered by many to be the sport’s pre-eminent QB. French was unstoppable. Mackesey put on a goalie clinic. Everyone knew exactly what Maryland was going to do with seconds left in regulation to tie it, yet Urso still managed to do It. What a game!
VeryRustyRed

Post by VeryRustyRed »

I was at the game as well. For many years it was referred to as "the greatest lacrosse game ever played."
Urso, however, did not score Maryland's tying go at the end of regulation. He initiated the play at mid-field with 6 seconds left and sprinted down the middle before dishing off to a Maryland team mate on the right wing.
Cornell went on to win in a 4 minute OT (they may have played two 4 minute OT's, I don't recall).
laxpert

Post by laxpert »

I'm almost certain it was Greg Rumpf a freshman from Suffern NY that scored the tying goal. The old rules allowed for two overtime periods followed by sudden death, if my memory serves me correct that game ended after the first overtime.
Gobigred

Post by Gobigred »

Two four-minute OTs, a much fairer way to decide a game in which 20+ goals-scored is the norm.

Greg Rumpf scored Maryland's tying goal to send the game to OT.

Did Chris Kane play in this game or was he injured?
Gobigred

Post by Gobigred »

laxpert wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:08 pm I'm almost certain it was Greg Rumpf a freshman from Suffern NY that scored the tying goal. The old rules allowed for two overtime periods followed by sudden death, if my memory serves me correct that game ended after the first overtime.
SI article on the game said "overtime consists of two mandatory four-minute periods followed by sudden death if necessary."
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

It was two OT periods.

The question in many minds was why with so little time left wasn’t someone on top of Urso.

Great game. There have been a few absolute classics
Last edited by OCanada on Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nomofogo

Post by nomofogo »

Vince Shanley covered for Chris Kane and did an outstanding job. Ithaca native Teddy Marchell on defense really performed. As mentioned earlier Goalie Dan Mackessey had 28 saves which stood as a record for many years.
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

Cornell trailed 7-2 at the half. Two 4 minute OT periods were played. Maryland scored the first OT goal to make it 13-12 and the Big Red scored the final 4 goals for a final score 16-13. The 16th goal was scored by Mike French (his 7th goal with Mike also earning 4 assists) on a backward feed from Eamon McEneaney who had an easy shot for a goal but decided to take the assist. A historic goal indeed. The best part of the game was the all night after game party in Hartford at the home of Bill Marino's girlfriend Stacy Savin. What a blast!
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

Very Rusty - I never said Urso scored that tying goal. My point was more to Ocanada’s comment - They should have put a defenseman on top of him. Urso was going to take the final shot in regulation, else find the open man.
Mr. Webber

Post by Mr. Webber »

The 1976 national championship game was unforgettable.

Regional Bias Department: Thinking about that game reminded me that both of the late goals described above -- Frank Urso's laser to pull Maryland within one and Greg Rumpf's equalizer with six seconds left in regulation (assisted by Urso) -- were scored by guys from New York State at a time when then there only a handful of Northerners on Maryland's roster, at most. Sorry, just had to acknowledge that NYS pride. Regional grudges were so much more intense back then.
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

I just took a look at Eamon’s photo. For you youngsters, his gloves look like some of the first pairs of fabric, rather than leather or vinyl, gloves. So much lighter and more resistant to becoming waterlogged. I almost think they were as big a technology change as the sticks, as that vintage plastic head/metal handle (remember they were oval back then, you old farts?) didn’t really save your forearms until the Brine Superlights with octagonal aluminum handles came out a few years later.

Notice the finger tape - a small sacrifice of fingers when cutting out the entire finger and palm area of your gloves was still legal and necessary to have any feel for your stick.

Ahh, the old days. Lol
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

MD had 5 from NY and 3 from N.J.
DMac

Post by DMac »

SCLaxAttack wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:04 pm I just took a look at Eamon’s photo. For you youngsters, his gloves look like some of the first pairs of fabric, rather than leather or vinyl, gloves. So much lighter and more resistant to becoming waterlogged. I almost think they were as big a technology change as the sticks, as that vintage plastic head/metal handle (remember they were oval back then, you old farts?) didn’t really save your forearms until the Brine Superlights with octagonal aluminum handles came out a few years later.

Notice the finger tape - a small sacrifice of fingers when cutting out the entire finger and palm area of your gloves was still legal and necessary to have any feel for your stick.

Ahh, the old days. Lol
But you could never "grow the game" with that kind of clunky old equipment because it would be way too hard for youngsters to learn how to pass and catch.
What a crock that is.
another fan

Post by another fan »

Cornell and Maryland to scrimmage on 10/13 at St. Anthony's on Long Island.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Via Patrick B. McEneaney... As they say “when the truth becomes legend print the legend”.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

CU77

Post by CU77 »

VeryRustyRed wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:38 pmI was at the game as well.
Me too. (And at least one poster here was on the field …)

My sig gives the links to the Sports Illustrated articles on each of Cornell's three national championships.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Just to emphasize how much things have changed...

I spent the entire game on the sideline photographing the action. I was a student taking a photography course at the time and had checked out a beautiful 500mm zoom Canon lens from my school photo equipment dept just for the occasion. I had no credentials what-so-ever but was not bothered by anyone the entire game. I looked like your average soph college student at the time but I think the very impressive lens was enough to establish any bonafides :D
VeryRustyRed

Post by VeryRustyRed »

Things have certainly changed. At many of the Ivy venues, spectators were allowed to stand on the sidelines, just off the playing field. And there were no nets along the end-lines.
Princeton used to play on a grass field next to Palmer Stadium. I remember standing at the end line behind the goal one year and caught a number of shots that were "air-mailed"...followed by suggestions "suit him up."
Not only are non-accredited spectators no longer allowed on the sidelines, I wouldn't even want to try to catch, barehanded no-less, an air-mailed rocket-like shot today.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”