Maryland 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Peter Brown

Re: Maryland 2020

Post by Peter Brown »

Drcthru wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:00 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:43 am
Matnum PI wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:34 am Georgetown is, in general, more difficult to be accepted at. This does not mean it provides a better education.

I guess you could say that about any two Schools, but in National Rankings Georgetown is ranked significantly higher. It's not an opinion its a fact, Maryland is a fine school but its not Georgetown, just like Towson is not Hopkins, Villanova is not Penn, Hofstra is not Harvard, etc. It's just reality.

Every college mentioned in this post is 'better' than Hopkins. Hopkins is a dystopian, unromantic, sordid, misfortuned, child labor endorsing undertaking. Just a gross campus with no students. The lacrosse team can't beat Stevenson.
Sorry you weren't accepted at Hopkins.

I have so much to say about this post above....

argh.jpg
argh.jpg (55.8 KiB) Viewed 2889 times
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Russell always has a problem with reading comprehension and staying on topic. In this case trying to switch from ranking of schools nationally eh GT with ranking lacrosse teams.

Also learned when you get entangled with a skunk..,
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Peter Brown wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:41 am
DMac wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:52 pm cthru it, Peter, don't take the bait. Can't come fresh out of the cell sayin' anything about a dreary Hopkins campus or any of that kind of stuff.
:D

I am on probation. I do realize. I will only direct my ire at IL, not Hopkins.

By the way, Loyola will beat Hop comfortably this coming year...watch. I'm nervous about Towson beating Hop, but in Towson's stead, UMBC will come in and teach the Jays about lacrosse. I saw a professional lacrosse game on TV last night (I can't tell which team is which, nor what country they represent, so don't ask me about teams); the Towson alum performed unreal: Sundae, Woodall, Goodrich...surprised they did not beat the Terps and roll through the Hoos too...those Tigers are absolute beasts.

Also, why am I on the Terps' thread...I am a Loyola fan.
page counts? :D
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Best thing about the Loyola campus is its location next to Evergreen House and Guilford. They add a lot to the ambiance .
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

OCanada wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:13 am Russell always has a problem with reading comprehension and staying on topic. In this case trying to switch from ranking of schools nationally eh GT with ranking lacrosse teams.

So it's my fault that when you mentioned the word ranking, after talking about NCAA lacrosse games, step daughters playing lacrosse, that I should have known you were talking about ACADEMIC rankings.....not pre-season D1 teams ranking. :roll: got it.

But, it sure seemed like I was responding to a lacrosse discussion. Which I will do now, again. SHould Maryland be ranked above Hopkins, or just ranked lower in B1G rankings? Tillman tinkered too much with the tournament championship game planning and shamed Maryland by losing to "them" twice. But, the Terps actually won and went further than Hopkins.

So, where do YOU see Hopkins and Maryland ranked in the pre-season polls ?
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

I don’t play that Gabe generally and definitely do not engage with you. Next time follow the notestream
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

runrussellrun wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:28 pm
OCanada wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:13 am Russell always has a problem with reading comprehension and staying on topic. In this case trying to switch from ranking of schools nationally eh GT with ranking lacrosse teams.

So it's my fault that when you mentioned the word ranking, after talking about NCAA lacrosse games, step daughters playing lacrosse, that I should have known you were talking about ACADEMIC rankings.....not pre-season D1 teams ranking. :roll: got it.

But, it sure seemed like I was responding to a lacrosse discussion. Which I will do now, again. SHould Maryland be ranked above Hopkins, or just ranked lower in B1G rankings? Tillman tinkered too much with the tournament championship game planning and shamed Maryland by losing to "them" twice. But, the Terps actually won and went further than Hopkins.

So, where do YOU see Hopkins and Maryland ranked in the pre-season polls ?
Terps...preseason Top 3.

JHU....depending on Foley's status...preseason Top 10 (closer to 10 than 5).
Homer

Post by Homer »

runrussellrun wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:43 am 15.

How is the number 15 for ranking Blue Jays? Only Robert Morris lost my wider goal margin than Hopkins did in the first round of the NCAA last year. (Usually Hopkins wins that role every first round ;) )

Wouldn't logic dictate that Hopkins be pre-season ranked, at the highest, at 15? Essentially where they finished last year, even with the gift invitation.
Say we concede the premise that this particular measure gives us Hopkins' "true" end-of-season ranking for 2019. (It'd be 14, not 15 -- you seem to have missed UMBC -- but still let's for the sake of argument accept your basic point.) Why would logic dictate that Hopkins be ranked there "at the highest" for the following preseason? Do all teams inevitably either stay the same or decline? If any team falls back from last year, doesn't another team have to move up? Why is it not conceivable that Hopkins might be better in 2020 than they were in 2019?
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Homer wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:48 pm
runrussellrun wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:43 am 15.

How is the number 15 for ranking Blue Jays? Only Robert Morris lost my wider goal margin than Hopkins did in the first round of the NCAA last year. (Usually Hopkins wins that role every first round ;) )

Wouldn't logic dictate that Hopkins be pre-season ranked, at the highest, at 15? Essentially where they finished last year, even with the gift invitation.
Say we concede the premise that this particular measure gives us Hopkins' "true" end-of-season ranking for 2019. (It'd be 14, not 15 -- you seem to have missed UMBC -- but still let's for the sake of argument accept your basic point.) Why would logic dictate that Hopkins be ranked there "at the highest" for the following preseason? Do all teams inevitably either stay the same or decline? If any team falls back from last year, doesn't another team have to move up? Why is it not conceivable that Hopkins might be better in 2020 than they were in 2019?
better than a .500 record?

Conceivable, sure.

Cleveland State, Vermont, Detroit Mercy, UNC, Villanova all had the same regular season record, 8-7. Is it not conceivable that any of these 5 teams will do better this year?

How about Robbie Mo? Who did they lose to graduation? exactly
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Treading gently here, I aver that there exists one program in all of D1 that enjoys pollster confirmation bias. Said program is not really all that good as evidenced by constant shellackings incurred over the past 5-10 years. Said program is in fact 4th of 5 programs in a 30 mile radius. Said program would be #5 of the 5 programs if the current #5 gets its act together soon.

So let it be written, so let it be done.
Homer

Post by Homer »

Peter Brown wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:06 am Treading gently here, I aver that there exists one program in all of D1 that enjoys pollster confirmation bias. Said program is not really all that good as evidenced by constant shellackings incurred over the past 5-10 years. Said program is in fact 4th of 5 programs in a 30 mile radius. Said program would be #5 of the 5 programs if the current #5 gets its act together soon.
In that case, thank goodness for unbiased observers like Peter Brown.

runrussellrun wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:05 am
Cleveland State, Vermont, Detroit Mercy, UNC, Villanova all had the same regular season record, 8-7. Is it not conceivable that any of these 5 teams will do better this year?

Still not sure what "exactly" the point is that all this is supposed to convey....
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Homer wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:50 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:06 am Treading gently here, I aver that there exists one program in all of D1 that enjoys pollster confirmation bias. Said program is not really all that good as evidenced by constant shellackings incurred over the past 5-10 years. Said program is in fact 4th of 5 programs in a 30 mile radius. Said program would be #5 of the 5 programs if the current #5 gets its act together soon.

Still not sure what "exactly" the point is that all this is supposed to convey....
Point is, Hopkins is a mid tier program. Along with 30 other D1 programs. And just like all mid tier programs, when given an opportunity to actually play for a championship (n$aa invite) they often perform well. Yup, UNC fits the mold perfectly. (8-6 record, thumped by two CAA teams )

No basis for a top ten ranking. Not for this team. What's the change going to be? we'll let them "play" box lacrosse. Only, we won't teach them HOW to acatually play BOX lacrosse, and still teach (dictate) or team slide packages, always, when playing box lacrosse. (meaning, they were NOT playing BOX lacrosse. )

Penn St. knew this concept, especially the first time they played last year.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

runrussellrun wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:29 pm
Homer wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:50 pm

Point is, Hopkins is a mid tier program. Along with 30 other D1 programs. And just like all mid tier programs, when given an opportunity to actually play for a championship (n$aa invite) they often perform well. Yup, UNC fits the mold perfectly. (8-6 record, thumped by two CAA teams )

No basis for a top ten ranking. Not for this team. What's the change going to be? we'll let them "play" box lacrosse. Only, we won't teach them HOW to acatually play BOX lacrosse, and still teach (dictate) or team slide packages, always, when playing box lacrosse. (meaning, they were NOT playing BOX lacrosse. )

Penn St. knew this concept, especially the first time they played last year.

With one glaring exception: when Hop bows out of the tourney to which they had no right to be invited, they get smoked at the exit door. Last four appearance exits:

2019: ND over Hop 16-9
2018: Duke over Hop 14-9
2017: Duke over Hop: 16-9
2016: Brown over Hop 17-8

And none of those games was as 'close' as the score appears. :lol:
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Peter Brown wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:44 pm
When you lie, it ruins what is otherwise a generally true statement that Hopkins has struggled quite a bit in the tournament recently.

The Hopkins-Duke 2018 quarterfinal game was a 2-goal affair for much of the second half. Hopkins cut it to 1 with 7 minutes left in the 4th quarter, before Duke pulled away in the final few minutes. To say that game "wasn't as close" as a 6-goal margin is a shameless lie from someone who lives in an alternate reality—though I suppose that's the same reality where losing Pat Spencer will help the Loyola Greyhounds.

The other games, of course, were blowouts. No argument there. Don't need to make stuff up to get the point across.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:57 pm
When you lie, it ruins what is otherwise a generally true statement that Hopkins has struggled quite a bit in the tournament recently.

The Hopkins-Duke 2018 quarterfinal game was a 2-goal affair for much of the second half. Hopkins cut it to 1 with 7 minutes left in the 4th quarter, before Duke pulled away in the final few minutes. To say that game "wasn't as close" as a 6-goal margin is a shameless lie from someone who lives in an alternate reality—though I suppose that's the same reality where losing Pat Spencer will help the Loyola Greyhounds.

The other games, of course, were blowouts. No argument there. Don't need to make stuff up to get the point across.

The issue here is not whether we broke a few rules, or took a few liberties with our female party guests - we did.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

You're kidding yourself if you don't think Duke got a taste of what ACC hoops understands, foul/penalty ratio......which helped hugely to help keep possession with the Hop. 9 to 1 in penalties, Duke to Hopkins.

Whatever excuse voodoo doll you throwin, no one sees it in the air. Don't recall you and yours going all "top ranking for"....Robbie MO because they "only" lost to Maryland by 3 goals, and, in fact, lead for most of the game. Oh, that "argument" didn't happen? exactly
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Peter Brown wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:52 pm

The issue here is not whether we broke a few rules, or took a few liberties with our female party guests - we did.
Honestly I'm just shocked you've seen a movie other than Sicario.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Tillman is busier rearranging his roster than Yankees Cashman.

Close defenseman Nick Grill formerly of Marquette is transferring into Maryland for his senior go. Good player , nice replacement for Corley . Third transfer this postseason for Maryland, Ubriaco and Brandau being others, conveniently plugging or reinforcing holes on the defensive side.

Meanwhile two former Terps named Hinton and Wichens who were highly ranked recruits in recent past have relocated themselves at Jacksonville and LIU

Realguy's script
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

stupefied wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:59 pm Tillman is busier rearranging his roster than Yankees Cashman.

Close defenseman Nick Grill formerly of Marquette is transferring into Maryland for his senior go. Good player , nice replacement for Corley . Third transfer this postseason for Maryland, Ubriaco and Brandau being others, conveniently plugging or reinforcing holes on the defensive side.

Meanwhile two former Terps named Hinton and Wichens who were highly ranked recruits in recent past have relocated themselves at Jacksonville and LIU

Realguy's script

Like the Yankees in baseball.

You can not say Tills isn't brilliant, cause he is.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”