Loyola University Lacrosse 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
NovaHound

Re: Loyola University Lacrosse 2020

Post by NovaHound »

Ok - I feel like it's time to crawl out of my hole now that we are truly in the dog days of summer - even my dogs hate it and appreciate the nice A/C I have for them. And we're trying to equal the Hopkins thread page count :lol:

Savio - I though he was the most courageous player for the Hounds last year and they dodged a bullet because he literally took every face off and remained uninjured. I think PB has already mentioned this several times. Look at what happened to Towson late in the year when Woodall went down...and that game against Towson was probably Savio's worst. I think you'll also see an improved uptick in wing play for the Hounds next year.

I read one Post that stated that Olmstead could move to Middie - he's good enough to do it if that's what the Coaches feel they need. He played that position a few times last season if I recall. :o The Coaches have players that can play and will put them in the right place. Unless some Attack phenom emerges we haven't seen I expect Olmstead to remain where he is. :)

The other piece - who replaces Spencer? Well you don't really replace a Pat even up. It's going to take improved play by the entire offense to plug that hole. That is why I agree with PB that this team will have a new look and a new vibe. Players are going to step up their game because they know what is missing and Spencer could just singlehandedly take over a game and propel the Hounds. He's not there so it's their time to shine. 8-)

It's going to be interesting early in the season as the players, some new faces included, learn their roles and where and when (and how) they can contribute. The team will build its chemistry through out the season and I expect them to look and play really good in late April and May when it counts. I've got to think the Coaches are excited about this season too as they have something new to build upon - lax without #7. I can see them taking more chances on defense and the transition game with Spencer gone, and with Savio and crew performing better. I believe they are going to be excited to see how the team plays and responds.

The team is certainly going to look different and let's just hope it is a "good look" :D

And bank on whatever Peter Brown (PB) says.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Peter Brown has made the Loyola thread an enjoyable read. This still makes me chuckle.

"My lacrosse feed is so boring right now. Even the Hopkins posters here are demoralized...their feed has zero false hope, only an earned, bitter vibe. I hardly enjoy the schadenfreude anymore. They're like the Bagel Boss guy on Bay Shore LI yesterday complaining about being 5' tall on dating sites and having women make fun of him all day. Then the big guy just decks him to the ground."

Bagel Boss guy (ie: the current state of Johnny Hopkins lacrosse, angry at being 5' tall):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmTNIaat6eg
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

We should be careful about making page counts a goal...glorifying godless statistics like page counts are fingerprints of a program like Johnny Hop (just imagining Hopkins lax is wearying; a Homewood game is sadder than an alcohol-free funeral on a cold drizzly day).

On the other hand, this is the land of wolves now and we should seize every throne available to us.

“You will not survive here. You are not a wolf, and this is a land of wolves now.”
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

I have some good news regarding recruiting again.

Just got another 2020 recruit. Brings the total to now a full 12 scholarship recruiting class.
New guy just decommitted from Air Force, and committed to us yesterday. Name is Dylan Binney from The Woodlands HS, Texas. Attackman. 4 Star Recruit. His write up is really great!

By my math, and if IL corrects their star ratings, the total star count now jumps to 32 stars total and the #7 ranked recruiting class for 2020.
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

houndace1 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:43 am I have some good news regarding recruiting again.

Just got another 2020 recruit. Brings the total to now a full 12 scholarship recruiting class.
New guy just decommitted from Air Force, and committed to us yesterday. Name is Dylan Binney from The Woodlands HS, Texas. Attackman. 4 Star Recruit. His write up is really great!

By my math, and if IL corrects their star ratings, the total star count now jumps to 32 stars total and the #7 ranked recruiting class for 2020.

Whoa! Of course everyone wants to be at Loyola...there's nothing to dislike. Charley: kudos!! Success attracts success.

We're gonna need to spot opponents a few goals just to keep games close; I almost feel sorry for 'em.

Looked at the YouTube 'eyes don't lie' tapes of young Mr. Binney...excellent ball and field sense (the uncoachable part of lacrosse); solid speed, good dodging, great lefty crank. How fun will the RAC be the next couple of years?!?!?!
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Brandau chose the Terps to matriculate to. That will present a real issue there imo...their backup last year is a VERY good goalie whom I felt was patiently biding his time, so there's no way he is waking up today feeling great.

There's just no perfect solution for any of these kids when they transfer. Someone is bound to get upset. And ftr, I'm not sure the Hounds would have been a great home for Brandau either. We have Shafer waiting, with an AA goalie coming in. Who among them would have been content to sit?

Alright, let's move along. So far as I can tell, we did great in the off-season (thanks Houndace1 for keeping us informed!), now's the time to determine where to put the pieces. Charley and squad have a lot to ponder over the next month.

Let's get at it!
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Bit surprised by the choice . Thought his landing would be a IVY or
lateral to a JHU type. Brandau likely starts as their goalie stock not that deep nor that accomplished at college level. Of course Tillman would never make any promises but he might have been winking. Loyola and others would likely have presented a cloudier picture . Do feel for the original hopefuls bumped by any of these transfers
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Looks like we just rely on the goalie competition between Shafer (Junior), Tabor (Senior), Whitaker (Sophomore) and incoming freshman Teitelbaum. Tabor has been waiting 3 years for literally any game time experience. Shafer got playing time in some games this year, most notably in the lafayette game where he made a couple saves.

So who gets PT?
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

stupefied wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:05 pm Bit surprised by the choice . Thought his landing would be a IVY or
lateral to a JHU type. Brandau likely starts as their goalie stock not that deep nor that accomplished at college level. Of course Tillman would never make any promises but he might have been winking. Loyola and others would likely have presented a cloudier picture . Do feel for the original hopefuls bumped by any of these transfers

I don't know about that. I actually think McNaney is good enough to give it a go day 1. Also, Drew Morris the backup was as good a goalie in HS as anyone...and he has been biding his time. I thin Brandau's arrival makes one of them leave...not sure which though.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

houndace1 wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:13 pm Looks like we just rely on the goalie competition between Shafer (Junior), Tabor (Senior), Whitaker (Sophomore) and incoming freshman Teitelbaum. Tabor has been waiting 3 years for literally any game time experience. Shafer got playing time in some games this year, most notably in the lafayette game where he made a couple saves.

So who gets PT?

I think Sam starts, but Teitlebaum from what I have heard is a ferocious competitor and will make Same earn that role. I don't see Tabor or Whitaker getting starting PT, perhaps subbing.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Do you guys realize how insanely well the incoming Loyola lax class is performing this summer? Almost every tourney you see a Loyola incoming frosh winning MVP or close to it. Here is Eric Pacheco, 2x (imo most underrated player in HS):

https://www.uslaxmagazine.com/high-scho ... f-the-west

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... yers/55124 (look for Shannon's write up)
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Saw a pic of Pacheco at the event. Dude is Jacked, doesn't skip the weight room that's for sure
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

The Storm team comprised of a couple Loyola recruits of 2019/2020's lost today by a goal to the JHU comprised team at the IL EPOCH Committed Academy event today.

I only caught the 3rd quarter and onward but look out for Kamish
He had i believe 4 points on the day. Dished two assists and two really nice goals. One was a wraparound shot after dodging behind the cage. Another was off a feed and created space off a great face dodge and scored.

Also Pacheco won a majority of FO's. Commentators stated that hes a blend of being a pure athlete, to one that's also technically sound. Excited to see him develop
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
Lenwood117

Post by Lenwood117 »

Peter Brown wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:49 am Do you guys realize how insanely well the incoming Loyola lax class is performing this summer? Almost every tourney you see a Loyola incoming frosh winning MVP or close to it. Here is Eric Pacheco, 2x (imo most underrated player in HS):

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... yers/55124 (look for Shannon's write up)
Yes your team has all the best kids coming in, lol
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Lenwood117 wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:58 am
Peter Brown wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:49 am Do you guys realize how insanely well the incoming Loyola lax class is performing this summer? Almost every tourney you see a Loyola incoming frosh winning MVP or close to it. Here is Eric Pacheco, 2x (imo most underrated player in HS):

Oh look, lenwood with all of one post parachuting in here to defend the honor of a blue chip program that recruits lead-footed, headcase, personal-stats-focused malcontents.

History is nothing but geography on wheels, lenwood. I'll leave a free ticket at Will-Call so you can join the best and be the best!
Lenwood117

Post by Lenwood117 »

Peter Brown wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:11 am

Oh look, lenwood with all of one post parachuting in here to defend the honor of a blue chip program that recruits lead-footed, headcase, personal-stats-focused malcontents.

History is nothing but geography on wheels, lenwood. I'll leave a free ticket at Will-Call so you can join the best and be the best!
Lead footed headcase, I am confused ?
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Lenwood117 wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:37 am

Any fan of historically-okay lacrosse programs such as _______ ________ (fill in the name: it rhymes with Bon Shopkins) would generally not understand what 'lead-foot' means when most of their team is, in fact, lead-footed. The 'headcase' subject refers to the unfortunate by-product of relying on and therefore recruiting IL/UA rankings of certain high school players who end up at said program, not having the same impact at 20 as they did at 17, causing an irrational swelling of ego relative to talent.

Hasta la vista, lenwoodie.
Lenwood117

Post by Lenwood117 »

Peter Brown wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:20 pm
Lenwood117 wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:37 am

My team is in the Patriot leauge, I was simp;y trying to say in a nice way that all teams have good kids coming in.
Any fan of historically-okay lacrosse programs such as _______ ________ (fill in the name: it rhymes with Bon Shopkins) would generally not understand what 'lead-foot' means when most of their team is, in fact, lead-footed. The 'headcase' subject refers to the unfortunate by-product of relying on and therefore recruiting IL/UA rankings of certain high school players who end up at said program, not having the same impact at 20 as they did at 17, causing an irrational swelling of ego relative to talent.

Hasta la vista, lenwoodie.
Lenwood117

Post by Lenwood117 »

My team is in the Patriot league, I was simp;y trying to say in a nice way that all teams have good kids coming in
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Lenwood117 wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:56 pm My team is in the Patriot league, I was simp;y trying to say in a nice way that all teams have good kids coming in

Hey man, this is the land of wolves now, we say nothing positive about any team other than the Hounds. That said, since you are in the PL league, I will say positive things about you. Bucknell looks to be strong, but the rest I do not expect much this year.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”