Navy 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
oldjayfan

Re: Navy 2020

Post by oldjayfan »

old salt wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:10 pm This pity party is not helping RS find work.
What "pity party"? Who needs work? still has 2 years on his contract, genius...haters gonna hate..
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

oldjayfan wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:27 pm
laxxygilmore wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:59 am
kramerica.inc wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:00 pm
oldjayfan wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:08 am Yep, coach Sowell stayed classy even on his way out...a few need to look in the mirror...haters gonna hate!

Good day!
For you returning players, please make the transition for the next coach easier then I had it...
Coach Sowell.
:roll:
Coach Sowell's message to the Navy team and supporters...
https://www.capitalgazette.com/sports/n ... story.html

In a message to the team’s supporters, Sowell wrote, “All, before the word hits the streets, I want you to hear it from me….I am no longer the head coach at Navy!! It’s a sad day for me, yes, it was a total surprise! For you returning players, please make the transition for the next coach easier then I had it. I’ll be rooting for you!! Coach Sowell.”
Coach Byrne's message to the Notre Dame team and supporters...
https://college.jumpforward.com/MailSys ... -164457438

Byrne wrote...
Friends, Parents, Alumni of ND Lacrosse

Late yesterday afternoon I accepted a position at Harvard to become the next Head Coach at the University.

It would be a tremendous understatement to say that this was one of the most difficult decisions of my adult life. As you all know Notre Dame is more than the physical buildings or the history and traditions. It is an ethos, a spirit that permeates the place and ultimately seeps into your bones and your own being. You transmit it to your children and extended family and if you are luck they embrace it as well.

I was fortunate enough to be here long enough to see and feel all of that happen and more. I was able to Coach and mentor my Godson Will Corrigan and watch my own son Pierre become a great, selfless, kind, team first middle for ND, just as Will had done and modeled before him. I watched my daughter compete at ND and blossom into a beautiful smart woman now heading to Med School. I proudly watched my wife firmly establish herself as a talented and compassionate physician in town as she delivered 100's of babies into the world, many of them connected to ND in some way. I spent more nights in hotels rooms on the road with KC, Brian Fisher, Rob Simpson, Matt Karweck, Kevin Anderson, Neil Hutchinson, Jon Rodak, Kevin Dugan, Jason Lamb than I can remember. What I will remember of those nights are the stories, and the laughter in the retelling that never seemed to get old.

I was able to meet and get to know 100's of players and their parents. The players, some who are now firmly in their 40's with their own young families and others just starting the real world as graduates are some of the finest people I've ever met. They were open to the message of what ND was about and the pathway it could provide for their sons as people, players and members of the ND Community. They embraced the uniqueness of my family and welcomed them as their own making all of my kids feel like they were part of the brick and mortar of Arlotta. Your sons, the players were a joy to coach, a pleasure to mentor, cared for each other, protected one another, competed at the highest level and left here fortified for the world with their values enhanced and intact to face the world.
That true success is the ultimate honor for a coach, to know you played a role in delivering on the promises made in recruiting, having young men embrace the opportunities and see the finished product shine, on the practice field, in the locker room, on the graduation stage, in the NCAA Tourney or in their personal and professional lives.

I watched Coach Corrigan steward the program to incredible heights, proud of the part I played as his assistant coach. He saw that your 4 years here should be more than what happens on the field. His radical candor regarding what ND Lacrosse should be about invigorated our recruiting and set the trajectory for the last 15 years. I was honored to be his assistant and proud of all of our accomplishments together. I will forever grateful that he took a chance on me in the summer of 2006 to come back to ND.

If you are reading this and you are a former player that I coached, thank you for believing in the vision we had for ND and the program. If you are a parent, I hope we delivered on what was promised and that your son left here the kind of man, teammate, person, son you hoped he could If you are an alum, thank you for supporting this special place, and making myself and family feel so welcome and appreciated.

I can't thank you all enough for my time here, you all gave me more than I could ever give you in return.

Take Care & God Bless.

GB
Coach Byrne is a consummate professional and class act. Notre Dame is most fortunate to now have Coach Wellner, another consummate professional and class act, as their new defensive coach. Hopefully, Navy vs. ND will be on the MLax schedule in 2020 and beyond.

I wonder if Coach Byrne will be vilified by the Harvard "faithful" like Sowell was. Also, Byrne wasn't dismissed at ND, left on his own--you guys sure like to conflate the issue.. No debating that RS was dealt a bad hand at Navy and yet he took them to the tourney and even won a game--despite the haters. Oh, and 4 * victories in a row; and a Hopkins win and a Loyola win and a win in the Dome. Not great, I agree...but, let's see how the future goes for Navy the next 8 years...PL is getting tougher and tougher..

Yes lil' wombat, I got RS's Navy retirement rollover funds and have them in a variety of sectors. Pretty good for an M.D., eh sport?
There’s a Harvard thread you can go visit for posting messages like this one.
laxxygilmore

Post by laxxygilmore »

"Dealt a bad hand at Navy" surely is debateable -- just "folded" on the hand way too soon IMHO. Interesting snap-shot below regarding those 8 W's noted over 8 seasons 2012-2019...

1-5/.166 vs. Hopkins ----- W in 2012
1-5/.166 vs. Loyola ------- W in 2016
4-6/.400 vs. Army ----------N* Ws in 2015-2018
1-1/.500 vs. Syracuse -----W in 2018
1-0/1.000 vs. Yale ---------W in 2016
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
8-17/.320 vs. above of the overall 21-48/.304 vs. Top 30 opponents and 54-56/.490 vs. all opponents 2012-2019.

If not for those 8 Ws over 8 seasons, could have been 13-56/.188 vs. Top 30 opponents and 46-64/.418 vs. all opponents 2012-2019.

Navy MLax historical context snap-shot since NCAA established in 1971…following the impressive 1928-1970 era of USILA, whereby Navy MLax won 17 USILA Championships (12) or Co-Championships (5) under head coaches Finlayson; Moore and Bilderback.

NCAA Starting in 1971…
YEARS***HEAD COACH******GAMES W-L******W SEASONS*****NCAAT APPEARANCES

’71-‘72***Bilderback*******18-8/.692******2 of 2/1.000****2 (1FF / 1QF)
’73-‘82***Szlasa************85-44/.658****10 of 10/1.000**10 (1RU / 5FF / 4QF)
’83-‘94***Matthews********84-61/.579******8 of 12/.666***7 (4QF / 4RD1)
’95-‘11***Meade***********142-97/.594****10 of 17/.588***7 (1RU / 2QF / 4RD1)…PLT Championships @ 5 of 8/.625
’12-‘19***Sowell************54-56/.490*****3 of 8/.375*****1 (QF)…PLT Championships @ 0 of 8/.000
'20-'##?***Amplo************TBD**************TBD**************TBD

The 1971-2011 era @ 329-210/.610 with W seasons @ 30 of 41/.731 and 26 NCAAT appearances.
or 4 HC's avg. era @ 82-52 /.612 with W seasons @ 7.5 of 10.2/.735 and 6.5 NCAAT appearances each.
Vs. R. Sowell era @ 54-56 /. 490 with W seasons @ 3 of 8 /.375 and 1 NCAAT appearance.

IMHO, Navy MLax Mids will recover quickly from the disappointing results and experience of the 2012-2019 era. IMHO, AD Gladchuk is correct in his view this time that new head coaching leadership was needed...

Gladchuk said. “It just felt the program was at a point when it had grown stagnant and needed to be refreshed. I felt as though we had hit our ceiling under Rick’s leadership. Navy lacrosse needed a fresh start with some new perspectives.”

...and to restore Navy MLax to his long history of sustainable success prior to 2012-2019.

Best wishes for success to Coach Amplo; his assistant coaches; his staff and his Mids.

GO NAVY LACROSSE in 2020+
Last edited by laxxygilmore on Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
laxpere

Post by laxpere »

Mr3Putt wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:01 am Amplo did a nice job w the staff. Come September, it’s time to pull away from the dock and let RS go away. Time to move on.
gymman1031 wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:32 pm People have talked about Navy's expectations. Here is what I think Navy can do with the right coach:
1. often make the Patriot League Title game
2. make several postseason appearances, either with the automatic bid or as an at-large
3. have multiple Top 100 players in each of their recruiting classes
4. considering the region they are in and their awesome stadium, lead the NCAA in regular season attendance several times
5. make the Patriot League Tournament Semifinals most years
6. get to the NCAA Tournament Quarterfinals multiple times
7. if all goes right, at least one trip to the Final Four, and maybe beyond
8. Have a respectable or better record against that team on the Hudson!
As Mr3Putt says, it's close to time to pull away from the dock...time to move on. How about starting now?

Hopefully, Coach Amplo is pivoting to the plan to solve the offensive problems that plagued Navy Lacrosse v.2019, that gray cloud, and meet gymman's expectations.
Has Healthy Debate or SonnySide seen any indication that the transition is over and the hard work has started? Any missives to current and/or former players?
Handful of firsties, but the rest of the roster is fairly full, what happens next?
What's the over/under on Navy Lacrosse wins to keep the natives from becoming restless again? My guess is six.
Go Navy Lacrosse v.2020!
“The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall.” Vince Lombardi
"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are...." John Wooden
oldjayfan

Post by oldjayfan »

Let's go FUrman!!
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

I don’t see the bad hand RS was supposedly dealt. He didn’t do his homework before and after arriving. As opposed to the new FB coaches who did.

I don’t understand why he was surprised. He was hired to raise the team higher than Richie did. There were a group of older wealthy alums who were apparently thinking Navy could turn back the clock to the 1950s/1960s. There was no spring FB practice then.

Richie took them to the finals and were it not forchis goalie suffering a shoulder injury that prevented him from lifting his hand above his shoulder likely wins a title. The lax world thought he got a bad deal from the AD. RD also got a huge salary for the time. He was not the first choice of the Academy or even the second
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

I do not believe the new OC and DC have been around much as of yet. likely still winding down from recruiting and moving. Many of the players have stopped in and had a chat with coach. Lacrosse contact period begins late next week, so I'd guess that a chance for them to settle in to the Annapols area and get tings rolling.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
oldjayfan

Post by oldjayfan »

OCanada wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:26 am I don’t see the bad hand RS was supposedly dealt. He didn’t do his homework before and after arriving. As opposed to the new FB coaches who did.

I don’t understand why he was surprised. He was hired to raise the team higher than Richie did. There were a group of older wealthy alums who were apparently thinking Navy could turn back the clock to the 1950s/1960s. There was no spring FB practice then.

Richie took them to the finals and were it not forchis goalie suffering a shoulder injury that prevented him from lifting his hand above his shoulder likely wins a title. The lax world thought he got a bad deal from the AD. RD also got a huge salary for the time. He was not the first choice of the Academy or even the second
Amplo was not the first choice, or even the second..RM has been killing it at Furman, btw...
How did football do last season?? :oops:
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Killing what...the ones position light bulbs of the scoreboard,very true? ;)
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Oldjajfan. You do know Navy replaced it’d defensive coaches right? What they did last year in FB is irrelevant. Your question is revealing though.

RS got a big pay raise to under perform the previous coach.
oldjayfan

Post by oldjayfan »

Keep conflating, eh? Does Navy overpay its lacrosse coach relative to the rest--yes! Is that RS's fault, or Amplo's fault? Would ask your employer for less $$? Navy has a tough row to hoe, best of luck.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Keep slurping RS.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

The answer to your question is after dismissing RM the way Chet did and getting rejected by numerous coaches they had to pay more than the market to sign RS and get a coach. Comparison not conflation; the difference between how the FB team did it and the lax team back then. Illustrative. I could day the same about volleyball and water polo or....

Amplo is doing everything right from what I hear.
oldjayfan

Post by oldjayfan »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:37 am Keep slurping RS.
Oh, is wittle wombat still trolling?
oldjayfan

Post by oldjayfan »

OCanada wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:05 am The answer to your question is after dismissing RM the way Chet did and getting rejected by numerous coaches they had to pay more than the market to sign RS and get a coach. Comparison not conflation; the difference between how the FB team did it and the lax team back then. Illustrative. I could day the same about volleyball and water polo or....

Amplo is doing everything right from what I hear.
So, Amplo is getting paid less? Even though Chet threw the Brink's truck at Tillman, Toomey & Chemotti before hiring him? Let's not let facts get in the way of your argument! The only thing RS did wrong in the early days was follow Coach Meade..PS I could care less about the FB team, volleyball or glee club..
laxxygilmore

Post by laxxygilmore »

USNA's Glee Club is special on so many levels - the pride and joy of USNA friends, fans and even foes, around the world...

runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

laxxygilmore wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:59 am

Coach Sowell's message to the Navy team and supporters...

In a message to the team’s supporters, Sowell wrote, “All, before the word hits the streets, I want you to hear it from me….I am no longer the head coach at Navy!! It’s a sad day for me, yes, it was a total surprise! For you returning players, please make the transition for the next coach easier then I had it. I’ll be rooting for you!! Coach Sowell.”
Coach Byrne's message to the Notre Dame team and supporters...
https://college.jumpforward.com/MailSys ... -164457438

Byrne wrote...
Friends, Parents, Alumni of ND Lacrosse

Late yesterday afternoon I accepted a position at Harvard to become the next Head Coach at the University.

It would be a tremendous understatement to say that this was one of the most difficult decisions of my adult life. As you all know Notre Dame is more than the physical buildings or the history and traditions. It is an ethos, a spirit that permeates the place and ultimately seeps into your bones and your own being. You transmit it to your children and extended family and if you are luck they embrace it as well.

I was fortunate enough to be here long enough to see and feel all of that happen and more. I was able to Coach and mentor my Godson Will Corrigan and watch my own son Pierre become a great, selfless, kind, team first middle for ND, just as Will had done and modeled before him. I watched my daughter compete at ND and blossom into a beautiful smart woman now heading to Med School. I proudly watched my wife firmly establish herself as a talented and compassionate physician in town as she delivered 100's of babies into the world, many of them connected to ND in some way. I spent more nights in hotels rooms on the road with KC, Brian Fisher, Rob Simpson, Matt Karweck, Kevin Anderson, Neil Hutchinson, Jon Rodak, Kevin Dugan, Jason Lamb than I can remember. What I will remember of those nights are the stories, and the laughter in the retelling that never seemed to get old.

I was able to meet and get to know 100's of players and their parents. The players, some who are now firmly in their 40's with their own young families and others just starting the real world as graduates are some of the finest people I've ever met. They were open to the message of what ND was about and the pathway it could provide for their sons as people, players and members of the ND Community. They embraced the uniqueness of my family and welcomed them as their own making all of my kids feel like they were part of the brick and mortar of Arlotta. Your sons, the players were a joy to coach, a pleasure to mentor, cared for each other, protected one another, competed at the highest level and left here fortified for the world with their values enhanced and intact to face the world.
That true success is the ultimate honor for a coach, to know you played a role in delivering on the promises made in recruiting, having young men embrace the opportunities and see the finished product shine, on the practice field, in the locker room, on the graduation stage, in the NCAA Tourney or in their personal and professional lives.

I watched Coach Corrigan steward the program to incredible heights, proud of the part I played as his assistant coach. He saw that your 4 years here should be more than what happens on the field. His radical candor regarding what ND Lacrosse should be about invigorated our recruiting and set the trajectory for the last 15 years. I was honored to be his assistant and proud of all of our accomplishments together. I will forever grateful that he took a chance on me in the summer of 2006 to come back to ND.

If you are reading this and you are a former player that I coached, thank you for believing in the vision we had for ND and the program. If you are a parent, I hope we delivered on what was promised and that your son left here the kind of man, teammate, person, son you hoped he could If you are an alum, thank you for supporting this special place, and making myself and family feel so welcome and appreciated.

I can't thank you all enough for my time here, you all gave me more than I could ever give you in return.

Take Care & God Bless.

GB
Coach Byrne is a consummate professional and class act. Notre Dame is most fortunate to now have Coach Wellner, another consummate professional and class act, as their new defensive coach. Hopefully, Navy vs. ND will be on the MLax schedule in 2020 and beyond.
Can we read Wellners goodbye letter to the Navy community? :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
oldjayfan

Post by oldjayfan »

laxxygilmore wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:34 pm USNA's Glee Club is special on so many levels - the pride and joy of USNA friends, fans and even foes, around the world...

Laxxy— you appear to be on the wrong forum...emphasis on the wrong sy-LOB-al, as usual..
HealthyDebate

Post by HealthyDebate »

Sorry been a while, the sand and ocean have kept me away. I saw a letter from Wellner to the Navy Community. I don’t have it but I’m sure someone does and I’d love for it to be shared. It was very heartfelt. I also know he reached out to the team and sent a letter as well.
I’m excited for next year. I’m going to miss seeing some familiar faces but change is sometimes good and I’m embracing that. I believe the team is as well. Let’s support them and the new staff. OJF it’s time to move on. We can not change what has happened so why continue to debate it. It is what it is.

If someone has Wellner’s letter please post. At the very least we can root for ND when we don’t play them.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

OldJayFan must be getting ..... I have never addressed the issue of Amplo and his salary. Losing can become a habit.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”