Maryland 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Peter Brown

Re: Maryland 2020

Post by Peter Brown »

Seahawk wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:01 am They all sat in HS. No reason to think they won’t sit again. If they didn’t want to sit they had plenty of options at lower DI schools or even higher DIII schools with equivalent academic options. My guess is they are betting on themselves to win the job and if they don’t, they will have to decide whether to sit (and contribute/compete again) or leave and start the process over at another school. No one is “given” a position. For UMD, competition will likely put the better player on the field increasing the chance of TEAM success. That’s the coaches goal every year, regardless which player comes, stays or leaves. Recruit the best, let them compete, and then play the game. We’ll see what happens next Spring.

Really? :roll:

You don't think Chase Scanlan was "given" a position at 'Cuse? Christ, he was 'given' jersey #22 as a transfer (ie: hasn't even played one second yet in the Dome!). Maybe he'll ride the pine, I guess.

Do you think that Gray will sit at UNC?

Will Burkinshaw sit at Penn?

I understand your thought; it's just that it's naive.

When an exceptional player transfers, there's a bit more to it than 'he'll need to compete for the role'. And when there's already a surplus of talent at that role (*like at CP), you can bury your head in the sand all day chanting 'compete compete compete'; the reality is the Terps have a logjam at this role with some serious talent and the happiness chant won't last.

How Tills has decided (or will decide lol - doubtful) is really the burning issue...not that at least one player will be sorely disappointed. If you feel that they will all be one happy kumbaya squad, I think you underestimate these kids' competitiveness.
oldjayfan

Post by oldjayfan »

Comparing AA's to Brandau's transfer situation. Am I missing something?
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

oldjayfan wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:37 am Comparing AA's to Brandau's transfer situation. Am I missing something?

Yes (but you're a Hopkins fan so I forgive your inability to see the larger picture).

You're missing that the Terps will enter this season with 3 exceptionally gifted goalkeepers all of whom have at least 2 years of playing time left. To think that this will simply be a case of 'let the best man win and all will be fine' is overlooking the obvious which is: Tills overplayed his recruiting hand here with at least one if not two players (unless there is another unknown issue).

And the situation doesn't get any better in the Fall of '21 when CHC's goalie enters the fray.
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

Peter Brown wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:41 am
oldjayfan wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:37 am Comparing AA's to Brandau's transfer situation. Am I missing something?

Yes (but you're a Hopkins fan so I forgive your inability to see the larger picture).

You're missing that the Terps will enter this season with 3 exceptionally gifted goalkeepers all of whom have at least 2 years of playing time left. To think that this will simply be a case of 'let the best man win and all will be fine' is overlooking the obvious which is: Tills overplayed his recruiting hand here with at least one if not two players (unless there is another unknown issue).

And the situation doesn't get any better in the Fall of '21 when CHC's goalie enters the fray.
My view is that the Terps usually carry 4 goalies and Brandau filled the 4th spot.
Brandau is a bit better than might have been expected for this spot, which doesn't seem like a bad thing, and if he wins the starting job, so be it.

As we have been assured by countless posters that 1 of goalies will transfer out, it shouldn't affect the CHC goalie at all. That being said, the CHC goalie has not signed his letter of intent yet, and that is the main worrisome thing in this situation for Terp fans.

The situation does toughen up the level of competition for Morris and McNaney, but Brandau is also a talented goalie just starting out, so the competition is reasonably fair (I.e., Brandau is not an established D1 AA goalie).

Perhaps in the Spring the loser of the competition will be disgruntled about lack of playing and transfer out. This is sad. Of course, the Terps will still maintain Tillman's choice of the 3 in this situation.

One thing that I do not know is why Brandau left Georgetown. He was getting playing time. UMd is often viewed as a "safety school" for in-state residents.
Live Free or Die!
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

What makes a safety school a safety school varies. Mine was UNC. I was out of state.

I assume Tillman talked to the CHC goalie before accepting the transfer. Other coaches as well.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

OCanada wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:59 pm What makes a safety school a safety school varies. Mine was UNC. I was out of state.
/quote]
LOL
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Peter Brown wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:24 am
wgdsr wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:31 pm man, the terp offseason is just full of innuendo!!! imagine if instead of kraus' goal, he ended up hitting the pipe?!?! it'd be bedlam.

so let's go ahead and assume that there are 3 future hall-of-famers here. i mean, they've earned it. what is the downside, or am i missing something? is it certain locker room strife? cliques? guys taking sides, tearing the team apart? the 3rd string guy running onto the field on a mandown and causing maryland eternal embarrassment? dogs and cats living together?
what?

Couple notes (*wgdsr might be a lost cause here, boys):

1. Did you actually ever play lax? :lol: If so, you might recall a relatively consistent theme in every lacrosse locker room: the goalie is the introverted, sitting-on-a-powder-keg loner in the corner talking to himself, stewing over yesterday's perceived slights at practice or in the classroom, hating you-me-and-everyone else; lacrosse is the only outlet between them and homicide. Goalies don't sign up to College Park lax to pick four-leaf clovers on the quad reciting poetry (which I'm guessing you think is an option?); goalies somehow don't mind hard rubber balls being shot at their padless outer-regions at 100 mph, shattering bones and causing internal bleeding. To me that takes a special kinda guy. Guess what really good goalies don't particularly enjoy? Sitting on a bench. The anger builds up like a cauldron...teammates can sense unhappy teammates which is generally not a good ingredient for team success. Shocking, I know.

2. Did anyone claim all three are hall-of-famers? No? Didn't think so. Would all three like to? You're GD right they would. These boys are ferocious competitors. Today though is your lucky day, because here's a free lesson you shouldn't (but probably will) forget: the surest path to NOT getting into a Hall of Fame is by not playing.

Apparently some folks think these three (and 4 as of Fall of '21) are content to ride the pine, whoever wins the role wins, and oh-gee-wheee, if I let in a bonehead goal Tills will replace me in a country minute but hey dem's da breaks but my confidence won't be shot, no sirreee. Until I see Brennan O'Neill actually score a goal for Duke, he sucks. It's fantasyland in the heads of some posters here.
another rant.
here is what i (think we) know:
-maryland brings in a lot of good players, at all positions.
-maryland has players transfer out. (and in). at a lot of different positions. for a multitude of reasons probably, but i would guess one of the leading ones is not seeing enough p.t. a number of them have done pretty well.
-maryland will continue to do this and have this happen.

here is what i haven't heard/seen much of:
-maryland's season getting blown up because some players, unhappy with their p.t., have undermined the rest of the team because of that perspective.

here is what i expect will happen in 2020:
-one or 2 goalies might see significant p.t. @ maryland.
-maryland will do pretty well.
-a goalie (or who knows? maybe more? maybe other guys, too?) will transfer to another school. or they'll stay. then it'll be 2021.
seriously?

Post by seriously? »

So then why did Brandau choose Maryland? He had a spot at Georgetown and the education is probably at a higher level than Maryland. (Don't anybody get in a snit. Look at acceptance numbers.) So what was he thinking? Or what was he promised? ORRR, did he put his hat in the ring and there were no takers??
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

seriously? wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:43 pm So then why did Brandau choose Maryland? He had a spot at Georgetown and the education is probably at a higher level than Maryland. (Don't anybody get in a snit. Look at acceptance numbers.) So what was he thinking? Or what was he promised? ORRR, did he put his hat in the ring and there were no takers??
Can you elaborate on "education at a higher level"? Does Georgetown teach a higher level of accounting or finance theory that is being withheld from Maryland or other state schools? Seriously, what body of knowledge and wisdom is he giving up by sitting in Maryland classrooms versus Georgetown classrooms?
Homer

Post by Homer »

Peter Brown wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:02 am the surest path to NOT getting into a Hall of Fame is by not playing.
Apparently you've never read the Hopkins thread.

I think they're opening the new Evan Zinn wing later this summer.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Homer wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:26 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:02 am the surest path to NOT getting into a Hall of Fame is by not playing.

The Hopkins thread to me is really sad Elizabethan literature: drab, unattractive, and woefully repetitive, hanging on to history while the present is one massive steaming mound of cow guano. Even the Lacrosse Hall of Fame and USLacrosse couldn't stand the stench, disengaging for northern Baltimore County. Methadone clinic shootings two blocks from campus...no students in the stands on game day; whoever plays Hopkins at Homewood, it's always a home game in the stands for the visitors.

To think local kids used to look up to that program. The love and action is at the RAC or Unitas anymore.
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

keno in reno wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:09 pm
seriously? wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:43 pm So then why did Brandau choose Maryland? He had a spot at Georgetown and the education is probably at a higher level than Maryland. (Don't anybody get in a snit. Look at acceptance numbers.) So what was he thinking? Or what was he promised? ORRR, did he put his hat in the ring and there were no takers??
Can you elaborate on "education at a higher level"? Does Georgetown teach a higher level of accounting or finance theory that is being withheld from Maryland or other state schools? Seriously, what body of knowledge and wisdom is he giving up by sitting in Maryland classrooms versus Georgetown classrooms?
Lets be honest here, a Georgetown degree is more valuable than a Maryland degree. How much that matters in the real world these days is debatable but the fact is it's a better degree.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Georgetown is, in general, more difficult to be accepted at. This does not mean it provides a better education.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Peter Brown wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:02 am
wgdsr wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:31 pm man, the terp offseason is just full of innuendo!!! imagine if instead of kraus' goal, he ended up hitting the pipe?!?! it'd be bedlam.

so let's go ahead and assume that there are 3 future hall-of-famers here. i mean, they've earned it. what is the downside, or am i missing something? is it certain locker room strife? cliques? guys taking sides, tearing the team apart? the 3rd string guy running onto the field on a mandown and causing maryland eternal embarrassment? dogs and cats living together?
what?

1. Did you actually ever play lax? :lol: If so, you might recall a relatively consistent theme in every lacrosse locker room: the goalie is the introverted, sitting-on-a-powder-keg loner in the corner talking to himself, stewing over yesterday's perceived slights at practice or in the classroom, hating you-me-and-everyone else; lacrosse is the only outlet between them and homicide. Goalies don't sign up to College Park lax to pick four-leaf clovers on the quad QUAD? It's called the MALL, there is NO quad on College Parks campus, unless you are counting the 'green space' of South Hill Dorms reciting poetry (which I'm guessing you think is an option?). Guess what really good goalies don't particularly enjoy? Sitting on a bench. The anger builds up like a cauldron...teammates can sense unhappy teammates which is generally not a good ingredient for team success. Shocking, I know.

2. Did anyone claim all three are hall-of-famers? No? Didn't think so. Would all three like to? You're GD right they would. These boys are ferocious competitors. Today though is your lucky day, because here's a free lesson you shouldn't (but probably will) forget: the surest path to NOT getting into a Hall of Fame is by not playing. There are the "best", allegedly , (UA/AA's), rotting on the pine on many teams, at every position. Hopkins best goalie saw NO time, but goalie coach Quin (hopkins spelling) doesn't like Mass wholes ;)
Apparently some folks think these three (and 4 as of Fall of '21) are content to ride the pine, whoever wins the role wins, and oh-gee-wheee, if I let in a bonehead goal Tills will replace me in a country minute but hey dem's da breaks but my confidence won't be shot, no sirreee. Until I see Brennan O'Neill actually score a goal for Duke, he sucks. It's fantasyland in the heads of some posters here.
Regarding O'neill , tremendous player. Hoping he stays healthy. But, let's be honest and introspective. Do you fall in line with the camp that certain "areas" or "leagues" create better talent because they play against better talent, so they are all talented?
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Peter Brown wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:54 am
Homer wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:26 pm

The Hopkins thread to me is really sad Elizabethan literature: drab, unattractive, and woefully repetitive, hanging on to history while the present is one massive steaming mound of cow guano. Even the Lacrosse Hall of Fame and USLacrosse couldn't stand the stench, disengaging for northern Baltimore County. Methadone clinic shootings two blocks from campus...no students in the stands on game day; whoever plays Hopkins at Homewood, it's always a home game in the stands for the visitors.

To think local kids used to look up to that program. The love and action is at the RAC or Unitas anymore.
CLap clap. This is the lacrosse topic world, will leave alone the society elites surrounded by seedy, subpar, seepage of which they only care about getting that welfare check (grant) to study why kids growing up 200 yards from Hopkins campus struggle in school. But, wait, Loyola lacrosse is doing weller than Avian carrying Blue birds with annoying calls, so it CAN'T be Baltimore. Hmmmm........
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

Matnum PI wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:34 am Georgetown is, in general, more difficult to be accepted at. This does not mean it provides a better education.

I guess you could say that about any two Schools, but in National Rankings Georgetown is ranked significantly higher. It's not an opinion its a fact, Maryland is a fine school but its not Georgetown, just like Towson is not Hopkins, Villanova is not Penn, Hofstra is not Harvard, etc. It's just reality.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Matnum PI wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:34 am Georgetown is, in general, more difficult to be accepted at. This does not mean it provides a better education.

I guess you could say that about any two Schools, but in National Rankings Georgetown is ranked significantly higher. It's not an opinion its a fact, Maryland is a fine school but its not Georgetown, just like Towson is not Hopkins, Villanova is not Penn, Hofstra is not Harvard, etc. It's just reality.

Every college mentioned in this post is 'better' than Hopkins. Hopkins is a dystopian, unromantic, sordid, misfortuned, child labor endorsing undertaking. Just a gross campus with no students. The lacrosse team can't beat Stevenson.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

runrussellrun wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:37 am
Peter Brown wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:02 am

what?

1. Did you actually ever play lax? :lol: If so, you might recall a relatively consistent theme in every lacrosse locker room: the goalie is the introverted, sitting-on-a-powder-keg loner in the corner talking to himself, stewing over yesterday's perceived slights at practice or in the classroom, hating you-me-and-everyone else; lacrosse is the only outlet between them and homicide. Goalies don't sign up to College Park lax to pick four-leaf clovers on the quad QUAD? It's called the MALL, there is NO quad on College Parks campus, unless you are counting the 'green space' of South Hill Dorms reciting poetry (which I'm guessing you think is an option?). Guess what really good goalies don't particularly enjoy? Sitting on a bench. The anger builds up like a cauldron...teammates can sense unhappy teammates which is generally not a good ingredient for team success. Shocking, I know.

2. Did anyone claim all three are hall-of-famers? No? Didn't think so. Would all three like to? You're GD right they would. These boys are ferocious competitors. Today though is your lucky day, because here's a free lesson you shouldn't (but probably will) forget: the surest path to NOT getting into a Hall of Fame is by not playing. There are the "best", allegedly , (UA/AA's), rotting on the pine on many teams, at every position. Hopkins best goalie saw NO time, but goalie coach Quin (hopkins spelling) doesn't like Mass wholes ;)
Regarding O'neill , tremendous player. Hoping he stays healthy. But, let's be honest and introspective. Do you fall in line with the camp that certain "areas" or "leagues" create better talent because they play against better talent, so they are all talented?

If O'Neill chose Hopkins to attend, Petro would bench him for three years before testing him as a senior in a February game with freezing sleet.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Do kids from the L.I. Katholic league even bother visiting Hopkins campus?
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

xxxxxxx wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:10 amI guess you could say that about any two Schools, but in National Rankings Georgetown is ranked significantly higher. It's not an opinion its a fact, Maryland is a fine school but its not Georgetown, just like Towson is not Hopkins, Villanova is not Penn, Hofstra is not Harvard, etc. It's just reality.
Xxxxxxx, you're conflating a school's brand with their reality. Nike may be "the best" but, for my wide feet, Asics is far superior. And, my feet aside, Nike being seen as the best, even if the US News and World Report says so, does not make them the best. Far and wide, people may feel passionately that Michael Jackson was the King of Pop. But this doesn't make this true. What it does prove to be true is that Michael had a good publicist. (As a semi-aside, Howard Stern was bothered by Michael becoming the King of Pop simply because he said he was the King of Pop so, tongue in cheek, Howard said he was the King of all Media. And, sure enough, ironically, Howard became regularly referred to as the King of all Media. Kind of funny.)
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”