The Nation's Financial Condition

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
a fan

Re: The Nation's Financial Condition

Post by a fan »

Yes. Regressive taxation.

But that leaves out all the benefits they're getting....the supply side of the regressive taxation.

You tax all transactions evenly. Then you use some that money to help the poor.

And the tax itself would float around one percent. A nothing tax to a even a poor person buying groceries. But it all adds up.
CU88

Post by CU88 »

a fan wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:47 pm Ah, you need an update. Trump's about to add another massive spending bill.

Anyone else notice the board's Republicans never post on this thread? :lol:
If a Democrat wins the presidency in 2020, I predict there will be an explosion of chin stroking, sternly-worded op-eds, and endless Fox News segments about how we suddenly need to cut spending and take deficits seriously.

And it will all be repeated here by the now silent r's...
by cradleandshoot » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:57 am
Mr moderator, deactivate my account.
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
This is cradle and shoot signing out.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
old salt

Post by old salt »

By 2021 the military will be rebuilt, the border crisis will be under control & we can return to spending caps. .:mrgreen:.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

I am ignorant to this part of finance but have run across two people in the last few months who have been advocates of the current economy that are in private practices, one of which works for the former wife of the founder of BET at a resort, who’s bonus is based on a percentage oF the ETIBA oF their business. Both had not received a bonus of any significant value until 2017 over the past 6 plus years.

I’m not smart enough to connect the dots, but each have said business is better than its ever been in a very long time. Corporation are spending their cash and appear to be helping many businesses and employees.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

a fan wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:04 pm
HooDat wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:56 pm Take it a step further and get rid of income tax altogether and (I think I may have said this before) ..... go to a federal sales tax.
I'm assuming you mean a consumption tax, and anytime a good or service is exchanged, a tax is levied?

Sales tax connotes only retailers pay in.
HooDat wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:56 pm To soften the blow for the poor (I can't believe I am going to say this...) perhaps this is where UBI would be useful.
You can do anything you like for the poor. We'd be swimming in money if we installed this tax.
yes - actually a transaction tax.
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

youthathletics wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:03 pm I am ignorant to this part of finance but have run across two people in the last few months who have been advocates of the current economy that are in private practices, one of which works for the former wife of the founder of BET at a resort, who’s bonus is based on a percentage oF the ETIBA oF their business. Both had not received a bonus of any significant value until 2017 over the past 6 plus years.

I’m not smart enough to connect the dots, but each have said business is better than its ever been in a very long time. Corporation are spending their cash and appear to be helping many businesses and employees.
GDP for all of last year was 2.99%. Expectations for this year are well under that...
CU88

Post by CU88 »

youthathletics wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:03 pm I am ignorant to this part of finance but have run across two people in the last few months who have been advocates of the current economy that are in private practices, one of which works for the former wife of the founder of BET at a resort, who’s bonus is based on a percentage oF the ETIBA oF their business. Both had not received a bonus of any significant value until 2017 over the past 6 plus years.

Nothing like the Big Federal Credit Card to keep the good times rolling...
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

CU88 wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:14 am

until the bill comes due.

But hey, you know how to fix that? INFLATION. That is why the fed keeps trying to tell people inflation isn't high enough. Who cares that housing and education costs are putting the average family up to their eyeballs in expenses/debt - the 0.1% paid cash for their houses and they need the stimulus to keep the good times rolling! :roll:
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

HooDat wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:41 am
youthathletics wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:03 pm I am ignorant to this part of finance but have run across two people in the last few months who have been advocates of the current economy that are in private practices, one of which works for the former wife of the founder of BET at a resort, who’s bonus is based on a percentage oF the EBITDA of their business. Both had not received a bonus of any significant value until 2017 over the past 6 plus years.

But hey, you know how to fix that? INFLATION. That is why the fed keeps trying to tell people inflation isn't high enough. Who cares that housing and education costs are putting the average family up to their eyeballs in expenses/debt - the 0.1% paid cash for their houses and they need the stimulus to keep the good times rolling! :roll:
I am a bit confused by both your responses. My original comment was that a couple people a know/met, one at a 5 star resort, in Va, essentially was not making cash like it has been in the recent coupe years, based on their corporate bonus structure. Meaning, more and more people are spending their discretionary income, to include business meetings and C-Suite getaways for corporate America.

Does that not indicate, by some metric, and maybe it is EBITDA in this case, that by allowing the wealthy to have more discretionary income they in return hire more, spend more, and give out more bonuses?
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:45 pm
HooDat wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:41 am
youthathletics wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:03 pm I am ignorant to this part of finance but have run across two people in the last few months who have been advocates of the current economy that are in private practices, one of which works for the former wife of the founder of BET at a resort, who’s bonus is based on a percentage oF the EBITDA of their business. Both had not received a bonus of any significant value until 2017 over the past 6 plus years.

I am a bit confused by both your responses. My original comment was that a couple people a know/met, one at a 5 star resort, in Va, essentially was not making cash like it has been in the recent coupe years, based on their corporate bonus structure. Meaning, more and more people are spending their discretionary income, to include business meetings and C-Suite getaways for corporate America.

Does that not indicate, by some metric, and maybe it is EBITDA in this case, that by allowing the wealthy to have more discretionary income they in return hire more, spend more, and give out more bonuses?
Probably a bump from Government contractors doing off-sites and high performer events... good for the resort so it’s good for the employees....if it’s that spot in Leesburg, for instance, that pretty much describes it. Also some companies are picking that spot as the dollar goes a little further there than it does at Ritz Carlton in Naples or Orlando.
“I wish you would!”
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Salamander Resort. Middleburg,Va all their resorts are booming over the past 2 years, according to staff.
~Livy

Typical Lax Dad

youthathletics wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:40 pm Salamander Resort. Middleburg,Va all their resorts are booming over the past 2 years, according to staff.
Propped up by the government spending. Not sure if Ocean House in RI or Equinox in VT are doing as well.
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

“I wish you would!”
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

That is actually quite promising. Reading between the lines, it seems people realize they need to self regulate their own spending. They enjoyed the highs of stable recovery and are now pulling back. Although, I would prefer to see comparisons of same time last year instead of month to month to see how it compares based on the the season of vacation, post tax deadline in April, etc.
~Livy

Typical Lax Dad

youthathletics wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:18 am
That is actually quite promising. Reading between the lines, it seems people realize they need to self regulate their own spending. They enjoyed the highs of stable recovery and are now pulling back. Although, I would prefer to see comparisons of same time last year instead of month to month to see how it compares based on the the season of vacation, post tax deadline in April, etc.
Ten year trend has been good.
“I wish you would!”
CU88

Post by CU88 »

Where is that 4% the r's promised us?

The government says the U.S. economy grew more slowly in 2018 than it previously estimated, downgrading its estimate from 3% to 2.5%.

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/07/ ... ap-1436630
a fan

Post by a fan »

Wait, so Trickle Down didn't work?

Are you SURE? Because they told us that "this time" it was certain to work.
a fan

Post by a fan »

It will become "a problem", the moment a Dem takes the White House.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

a fan wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:17 pm It will become "a problem", the moment a Dem takes the White House.
No problem there a Fan. The nation just has to shift gears and tax the nation all the way back to prosperity. It is such a magical formula you can make it happen without cutting one thin dime of spending. Like with Houdini and all magicians... it's just an illusion
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:

Return to “POLITICS”