OCanada

Re: U-19 tryouts

Post by OCanada »

Ireland had had dual citizen players too, at least men

Richie Moran coached the Irish men at one time as I recall
Homer

Post by Homer »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:52 am What makes you think players “more likely to contribute” were not selected last time? How many “inferior” kids were selected? In 2012 we were on the verge of losing and all hell was breaking out...we should just make it .... first 30 kids that sign up are on the training team..... Winning or competing is unimportant.
I think you're reading a lot more into this than what I actually said. I never said anything about "inferior" players being selected this cycle or any other. I agree with you about the challenge the coaches face sorting through such a deep talent pool. Others have criticized their choices, not me. I'm not specifically defending them, either -- I simply don't have enough knowledge to have an informed opinion one way or another.

The question was raised whether one should prioritize selecting the most coherent and competitive team vs. the best individual collection of players, to the extent that there's a conflict between them. That's what I was responding to. This was the post:
pcowlax wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:21 pm And what is your goal with the selection anyway? Is it literally to select the best 25 players accounting for position or is it trying to put together the team that is most likely to win? Those are certainly not always concurrent. Plenty of straight all star teams across all sports have fallen short due to lack of glue guys or players who excel at the little things but don’t have dazzling skill.
His words, not mine. Maybe pcowlax knows enough to have a solid sense of which approach the U19 coaches are taking; I don't. All I'm saying is I don't think what he's describing is necessarily the best way of managing an age-level developmental team that's supposed to be supporting the overall national program.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Homer wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:39 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:52 am What makes you think players “more likely to contribute” were not selected last time? How many “inferior” kids were selected? In 2012 we were on the verge of losing and all hell was breaking out...we should just make it .... first 30 kids that sign up are on the training team..... Winning or competing is unimportant.
I think you're reading a lot more into this than what I actually said. I never said anything about "inferior" players being selected this cycle or any other. I agree with you about the challenge the coaches face sorting through such a deep talent pool. Others have criticized their choices, not me. I'm not specifically defending them, either -- I simply don't have enough knowledge to have an informed opinion one way or another.

The question was raised whether one should prioritize selecting the most coherent and competitive team vs. the best individual collection of players, to the extent that there's a conflict between them. That's what I was responding to. This was the post:
pcowlax wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:21 pm And what is your goal with the selection anyway? Is it literally to select the best 25 players accounting for position or is it trying to put together the team that is most likely to win? Those are certainly not always concurrent. Plenty of straight all star teams across all sports have fallen short due to lack of glue guys or players who excel at the little things but don’t have dazzling skill.
His words, not mine. Maybe pcowlax knows enough to have a solid sense of which approach the U19 coaches are taking; I don't. All I'm saying is I don't think what he's describing is necessarily the best way of managing an age-level developmental team that's supposed to be supporting the overall national program.
I definitely agree that the process could use a little more transparency. US Lacrosse is now running these regional ID camps. I am hoping with the next cycle we see the benefits of this approach. Under the current system, there are so few chances to be evaluated against like competition that a good chunk of the selection is based on “reputation”. I hope the new approach isn’t just a money grab. I am more puzzled by the reduction in the tryout pool from 122 for 2012 to 104 this cycle.
Last edited by Typical Lax Dad on Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
“I wish you would!”
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

This is about the money plain and simple.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Dip&Dunk wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:45 am This is about the money plain and simple.
U$ Lacrosse and NC$$.

And Camp$.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”