Johns Hopkins 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
HopFan16

Re: Johns Hopkins 2020

Post by HopFan16 »

Yeah, outside of the extended Kelly family, Ohio State has been more Calvert Hall-heavy than UNC.

Tinney coaching there certainly won't hurt the Hopkins pipeline—not that it needs any help, I think it's perfectly adequate.

The goalie Brandau is transferring to Maryland after having visited Hopkins and UMass. Third big-name transfer to visit Homewood this offseason but ultimately decide to go elsewhere. Seems like a weird decision IMO from both a potential PT and academic situation (coming from GTown) but who knows. Best of luck to the kid. Can't fathom that the other two UA All-American goalies in College Park, including this year's MVP, are thrilled with this. But I suppose you could make the same argument at Hopkins (we DO have two UAAA goalies) even if Brandau's path to playing time likely would have been much easier here.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... land/55088
Laxter

Post by Laxter »

10 10 2 wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:23 am Brian Kelly does not steer his top players towards UNC. Outside of the Kelly family, the only notable CHC grad over the past 10 years to go to Carolina was Evan Connell.
Doesn’t Cole Herbert go to Calvert Hall? That said, maybe it is mostly the Kellys.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Laxter wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:19 pm
10 10 2 wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:23 am Brian Kelly does not steer his top players towards UNC. Outside of the Kelly family, the only notable CHC grad over the past 10 years to go to Carolina was Evan Connell.
Doesn’t Cole Herbert go to Calvert Hall? That said, maybe it is mostly the Kellys.
Yup, Frankie, Patrick, Steven, Timmy all to UNC; couple of other Kellys went to Ohio State and Rutgers. Evan Connell was the only other CHC player I see on the rosters from 2010-18, until Maher on '19 roster.

Huge # of Gilman players though, perhaps partly as a result of prior Gilman head coach Matthews an alum. 2 McBrides, Holman, Emala, Matthai, Halpert, Walker, Matthews, Brown. Most of those were major players for UNC. Matthai was captain of the 2016 Championship team.

Bunch of BL, some St. Pauls, Severn, St. Mary's, Loyola, etc as well.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

And yet, UNC only has one title in recent history, while sporting fraudulent “academics”.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

I pretty much reject the entire underlying assumption of that Calvert Hall question. Who cares? The roster in the fall will include at least one kid from most top tier Maryland/DC area private schools: Boys Latin, McDonogh, Loyola, St. Mary's, St. Paul's, Severn, Landon, Bullis, Gonzaga, DeMatha, Paul VI. 2020 class has two more Boys Latin, a McDonogh, and a Calvert Hall. They're doing just fine in the area and there have been great CH players to come through Homewood in recent years and there will be more to come. "How come no players from Calvert Hall on JHU roster" suggests there is a specific reason why this is the case, and there isn't. There's no "there" there. Someone asked the same question about McDonogh some years back—after Bobby's brother Joe came through there weren't many (if any, I don't remember exactly) McDonogh players on the roster for awhile until suddenly there were...Faby and then Valis and then Shure and now this Ince kid next year. It's not like the pipeline to any of these schools just mysteriously shuts down. Sometimes you go a year or two or three without a guy from a specific school because that's how recruiting works.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:28 pm And yet, UNC only has one title in recent history, while sporting fraudulent “academics”.
I'm not a UNC fan, but that's a pretty low, cheap shot, wombat.
There's been no evidence that the lax team was anywhere near that 2010 scandal, from the prior 15 years. It was Football focused. I looked for evidence of basketball as well, but didn't find much mention.

Nearly every school (certainly including Hopkins) has courses considered to be easier, 'gut' courses. UNC apparently took 'gut' courses to an extreme level and coaches directed players into them. Outright fraud. They deserved the penalties and scorn they received.

However, If someone doesn't think Hopkins has had (and has) gut courses, and that lax players knew/know what they were/are, they would need to be incredibly naive, or woefully defensive. I'd assume that Hopkins and UNC lax players alike have sought out some gut courses to balance out with more challenging academic work.

Interestingly, some of the 'gut' courses I took at Dartmouth back in the '70's are some of my most memorable. "Oceans" was an easy A, but was fascinating. "Earth, Wind and Fire" (Earth, Moon, and Planets) was an amazing course. Learned a ton, though certainly not the sort of challenge as Constitutional Law with Starzinger (think One L socratic method). So, I'm not opposed to taking 'easier' courses, as long as they do require attendance and attention to the material, and the material is actually broadening of one's knowledge base. Great teaching is what matters, not the grading.

I'd also point out that UNC's lax title was in 2016, meaning that in the 'recent history' of the last decade, they've actually won a title rather than zero. Glass houses.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:02 am I pretty much reject the entire underlying assumption of that Calvert Hall question. Who cares? The roster in the fall will include at least one kid from most top tier Maryland/DC area private schools: Boys Latin, McDonogh, Loyola, St. Mary's, St. Paul's, Severn, Landon, Bullis, Gonzaga, DeMatha, Paul VI. 2020 class has two more Boys Latin, a McDonogh, and a Calvert Hall. They're doing just fine in the area and there have been great CH players to come through Homewood in recent years and there will be more to come. "How come no players from Calvert Hall on JHU roster" suggests there is a specific reason why this is the case, and there isn't. There's no "there" there. Someone asked the same question about McDonogh some years back—after Bobby's brother Joe came through there weren't many (if any, I don't remember exactly) McDonogh players on the roster for awhile until suddenly there were...Faby and then Valis and then Shure and now this Ince kid next year. It's not like the pipeline to any of these schools just mysteriously shuts down. Sometimes you go a year or two or three without a guy from a specific school because that's how recruiting works.
I agree, though this is likely coming because Calvert Hall has gone all-in with its lax program. More of a 'why aren't we getting more players from the top local program?' kind of question.

But you're right, Hopkins has had, and will likely continue to have, players from all the top local programs.

The more interesting question might be why a player like Jacob Stover chooses Loyola over Hop, or was that a miss by Petro?
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:30 am
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:28 pm And yet, UNC only has one title in recent history, while sporting fraudulent “academics”.
There's been no evidence that the lax team was anywhere near that 2010 scandal, from the prior 15 years. It was Football focused. I looked for evidence of basketball as well, but didn't find much mention.

Nearly every school (certainly including Hopkins) has courses considered to be easier, 'gut' courses. UNC apparently took 'gut' courses to an extreme level and coaches directed players into them. Outright fraud. They deserved the penalties and scorn they received.

However, If someone doesn't think Hopkins has had (and has) gut courses, and that lax players knew/know what they were/are, they would need to be incredibly naive, or woefully defensive. I'd assume that Hopkins and UNC lax players alike have sought out some gut courses to balance out with more challenging academic work.

Interestingly, some of the 'gut' courses I took at Dartmouth back in the '70's are some of my most memorable. "Oceans" was an easy A, but was fascinating. "Earth, Wind and Fire" (Earth, Moon, and Planets) was an amazing course. Learned a ton, though certainly not the sort of challenge as Constitutional Law with Starzinger (think One L socratic method). So, I'm not opposed to taking 'easier' courses, as long as they do require attendance and attention to the material, and the material is actually broadening of one's knowledge base. Great teaching is what matters, not the grading.

I'd also point out that UNC's lax title was in 2016, meaning that in the 'recent history' of the last decade, they've actually won a title rather than zero. Glass houses.

I laughed with WOMBAT's post. It is kind of funny.

That all said, if the Heels had been cheating at 'football academics', they're certainly not getting any bang for the buck-effort; they've been about as consistently bad at football as any D1 team I can envision. However, their pre-game tailgates and post-game Carolina Inn parties are out of this world! So there's that ;)
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

I didn’t specifically say any lacrosse player took any fraudulent course, now did I?

My view of UNC as an entire institution, and the farce that is the NC$$, is my point. In addition to the point UNC only has one title. The two were not linked, aside from being in the same post.

And that was mainly to make fun of the PineSt types who linger here.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:39 am
HopFan16 wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:02 am I pretty much reject the entire underlying assumption of that Calvert Hall question. Who cares? The roster in the fall will include at least one kid from most top tier Maryland/DC area private schools: Boys Latin, McDonogh, Loyola, St. Mary's, St. Paul's, Severn, Landon, Bullis, Gonzaga, DeMatha, Paul VI. 2020 class has two more Boys Latin, a McDonogh, and a Calvert Hall. They're doing just fine in the area and there have been great CH players to come through Homewood in recent years and there will be more to come. "How come no players from Calvert Hall on JHU roster" suggests there is a specific reason why this is the case, and there isn't. There's no "there" there. Someone asked the same question about McDonogh some years back—after Bobby's brother Joe came through there weren't many (if any, I don't remember exactly) McDonogh players on the roster for awhile until suddenly there were...Faby and then Valis and then Shure and now this Ince kid next year. It's not like the pipeline to any of these schools just mysteriously shuts down. Sometimes you go a year or two or three without a guy from a specific school because that's how recruiting works.
I agree, though this is likely coming because Calvert Hall has gone all-in with its lax program. More of a 'why aren't we getting more players from the top local program?' kind of question.

But you're right, Hopkins has had, and will likely continue to have, players from all the top local programs.

The more interesting question might be why a player like Jacob Stover chooses Loyola over Hop, or was that a miss by Petro?

Petro would have sat Stover for 3 years and inserted him only when 3 LongGuyland goalies broke their legs. Jacob knew what was up. We all do.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Peter Brown wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:39 am

That all said, if the Heels had been cheating at 'football academics', they're certainly not getting any bang for the buck-effort; they've been about as consistently bad at football as any D1 team I can envision. However, their pre-game tailgates and post-game Carolina Inn parties are out of this world! So there's that ;)
You got my point.

Folks around here often need to lighten up and quit being so damn serious.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:40 am

I didn’t specifically say any lacrosse player took any fraudulent course, now did I?

My view of UNC as an entire institution, and the farce that is the NC$$, is my point. In addition to the point UNC only has one title. The two were not linked, aside from being in the same post.

I had an initial chuckle too, but it was kind of a sick chuckle, then a realization of the irony.
Glass houses'. Hopkins has gut courses, zero titles in last decade.

But yeah, the single sentence clearly was suggesting a connection. Two clauses connected by an "And yet".

But ok, you were just poking PineSt for drill.

In the ACC I'm a UVA fan, not UNC, but I do know a whole bunch of the UNC players from the last decade as so many played with my son at Gilman or club ball. Including his good friend and classmate, the captain of the Championship team. So, I read the joke from that perspective.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Peter Brown wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:39 am

Actually they've had an inconsistent record, not 'consistently bad'. Up and down. They haven't won the ACC since 1992 after Florida State joined, but they've been #2 a few times, gone to Bowls, etc. Apparently that wasn't 'good enough'. Money corrupts. Post scandal, reduction in scholarships, etc, but have actually done decently.

Totally agree with Wombat's disdain for NCAA.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:54 am

I had an initial chuckle too, but it was kind of a sick chuckle, then a realization of the irony.

But yeah, the single sentence clearly was suggesting a connection. Two clauses connected by an "And yet".

In the ACC I'm a UVA fan, not UNC, but I do know a whole bunch of the UNC players from the last decade as so many played with my son at Gilman or club ball. Including his good friend and classmate, the captain of the Championship team. So, I read the joke from that perspective.
One person I have a lot of respect for: the UNC player who witnessed Huguely’s abusive behavior and called it out. A shame no one at UVa listened to him.

Hopefully times are changing on how players treat each other, including their women’s team colleagues.

Social media hopefully helps in that regard.

Oh, and count me as one who abhors “lax bro” bull hockey.

Act like decent human beings. Not dipshits.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:15 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:54 am

One person I have a lot of respect for: the UNC player who witnessed Huguely’s abusive behavior and called it out. A shame no one at UVa listened to him.

Hopefully times are changing on how players treat each other, including their women’s team colleagues.

Social media hopefully helps in that regard.

Oh, and count me as one who abhors “lax bro” bull hockey.

Act like decent human beings. Not dipshits.
We're in agreement, though I'd suggest that most lax players aren't actually the 'lax bro' types that have been so much of the marketing image for the sport. But some definitely are and I'm with you in its rejection. The 2000's were pretty darn bad in that way. Glad to see that Rabil is maturing in how he positions himself in the sport. But the 'lax bro' commentating is still factor, as is much of the IL content. But at least the blatant misogyny has been tamped down hard.

My affiliation with UVA was growing up the son of a former 3X AA there, goalie for their first National Championship team, captain in '54. Like him, I was horrified by the cultural issues there, very pleased to see what Tiffany appears to be emphasizing. My affiliation with Hopkins was growing up backing up the goal, my primary venue for seeing top college games, lots of alum friends. I'm also the lone non-alum on the board of Center for Leadership Education in the Whiting School.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

On I think 3 occasions I sat adjacent to or behind your dad. Coincidence. I discovered his accomplishments at the last one. I liked him a lot. It turned out our views had several common elements. I think I mentioned this but if not I wanted to be sure I took this opportunity
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

I get it but my response to that would be: again, who cares why he picked Loyola? It could have been one of a million reasons. I know you're not necessarily implying this but Hopkins shouldn't be expected to get every single top-tier player in the area. There are a lot of excellent lacrosse/university options in the Maryland/DC/Virginia/Philly area. Petro is getting his fair share of the best players in the area (arguably the very best one in the 2020 class is coming to Homewood)—the problem for him I think is making the more out of what he's already getting. And getting bigger SSDMs.

With respect to Calvert Hall—I would argue that it makes sense that the better they are as a program, the more their guys will go to schools throughout the country and not just Hopkins/other local schools. It opens them up to a lot more options. Suddenly every D1 coach in the country is scouting all their guys and that leads to offers that may not necessarily have been there before they were considered arguably the best high school program in the country. Would also point out that probably the second best high school team in the country (maybe the best?), Culver, is sending quite a few kids Petro's way.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

OCanada wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:34 pm On I think 3 occasions I sat adjacent to or behind your dad. Coincidence. I discovered his accomplishments at the last one. I liked him a lot. It turned out our views had several common elements. I think I mentioned this but if not I wanted to be sure I took this opportunity
Thanks, yes you did.
Pop was always willing to share his opinions :D ...fun to watch a game with, though he could be awfully tough on his beloved Hoos.
He'll be missed.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:45 pm

I get it but my response to that would be: again, who cares why he picked Loyola? It could have been one of a million reasons. I know you're not necessarily implying this but Hopkins shouldn't be expected to get every single top-tier player in the area. There are a lot of excellent lacrosse/university options in the Maryland/DC/Virginia/Philly area. Petro is getting his fair share of the best players in the area (arguably the very best one in the 2020 class is coming to Homewood)—the problem for him I think is making the more out of what he's already getting. And getting bigger SSDMs.

With respect to Calvert Hall—I would argue that it makes sense that the better they are as a program, the more their guys will go to schools throughout the country and not just Hopkins/other local schools. It opens them up to a lot more options. Suddenly every D1 coach in the country is scouting all their guys and that leads to offers that may not necessarily have been there before they were considered arguably the best high school program in the country. Would also point out that probably the second best high school team in the country (maybe the best?), Culver, is sending quite a few kids Petro's way.
Agreed.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Don't mean to irk the JHU faithful but some answers to my question on Calvert Halll elevate rather than answer. Making no inferences, just noting and asking.

As responded, Im aware kids from MIAA and other local powerhouses are visible and being recruited by many but Im aware that many are still going to JHU as stated so wouldn't it make sense there would be at least some trickle in from Calvert Hall ? Certainly use to be, Ryan Brown included.

If JHU has a pipeline into a nationally recognized Culver then would it not be logical that some connection exists with Calvert as it does with BL .

I asked about the absence of CHP on 19 'JHU roster but believe there was the same absence on 17 and 18 rosters as well as in recruiting classes of 2019 and 2020. That is some stretch, 5 years if Im counting correctly .

That just seems rather odd to me a

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”