Progressive Ideology

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Brooklyn

Re: Progressive Ideology

Post by Brooklyn »

The progressive Squad stands for everything that is truly American while Trump is just the opposite:

It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
CU77

Post by CU77 »

thatsmell wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:48 pm No talk about the left eating itself with the Pete Buttigieg op ed by Dale Peck in the New Republic?
It was taken down. For a discussion, see Andrew Sullivan in NYMag.

But the main reason why intolerance on the left is currently much less important than intolerance on the right is that, as of now, the vast majority of political power is held by the right. At the federal level, the right controls the Presidency (and therefore, as CiC, all branches of the military), all Cabinet Secretaries, the Senate, and the Supreme Court. All the left can do is shout on twitter, and block legislation in the House. The right can do (and is doing) much much much more.
a fan

Post by a fan »

CU77 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:40 pm

But the main reason why intolerance on the left is currently much less important than intolerance on the right is that, as of now, the vast majority of political power is held by the right. At the federal level, the right controls the Presidency (and therefore, as CiC, all branches of the military), all Cabinet Secretaries, the Senate, and the Supreme Court. All the left can do is shout on twitter, and block legislation in the House. The right can do (and is doing) much much much more.
This. Intolerance on the left is---I agree completely---- annoying. Really annoying. And in some cases like the "it's cool to interrupt a Republican at dinner" both rude and really dangerous.

Intolerance on the right, currently, is being written into policy and law. Big, big, big, big difference.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:59 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:29 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:03 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:29 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:20 am
jhu72 wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:20 am
jhu72 wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:56 am … anyone arrested in the incident?

… anyone identified in the incident?

… kudos to 6ft for his investigative journalism. I don't believe historians have ever noted that Nazi Brown Shirts had "egged" Jews as one of their tactics. I thought they beat them up with wooden bats, iron bars and killed them with guns. This finding puts a new light on how vile the Nazi Brown Shirts really were.
Just helping 6 ft out, this individual looks more like a Nazi Brown Shirt victim. Michelle Malkin knows how to paint a picture of violence. Problem is, she never tells the whole story. She seemed to miss this photo of one of her victims - John Blum - taken earlier in the day.

John Blum Portland Photo.jpg

Strange he doesn't look so innocent in this photo. Where is the gay guy in a skirt he was protecting?

John Blum Later in the day.jpg

Michelle Malkin's hero victim.

I don't know, but this could be why only right wing rags are running with 6 ft's Nazi Brown Shirt story or Michelle Malkin's garbage.
Where is the photo with his weapon up his *ss?
72 is still looking diligently. In the meantime, yet again, during one of these donnybrooks someone will get killed. Is that worth the price for this idiotic nonsense? I know I am poking fun at these clowns, but inevitably some one on one side or the other will die and for what purpose? Maybe the whole point is to find a martyr to rally the people on your side to go beat some one to death as well on the other side. Sounds like a perfectly reasonable strategy to me. :roll:
You mean killed like the girl in Charlottesville?
That is exactly what I meant. Its only a matter of time. Thinking that the insanity of that day in Charlottsville might make both sides re-evaluate what they were doing. That is not the case... business as usual. Two sides filled with hate, anger and rage that will never stop justifying why they are angry and filled with rage. They would just as soon beat each other to death and justify their reasons for doing so. Today it is clubs and the like. How long before they break out the big guns and really have some fun?

In your mind, what is the equivalent to this type of march?

Looks like no one wanted to answer that question, TLD.
thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

a fan wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:55 pm

This. Intolerance on the left is---I agree completely---- annoying. Really annoying. And in some cases like the "it's cool to interrupt a Republican at dinner" both rude and really dangerous.

Intolerance on the right, currently, is being written into policy and law. Big, big, big, big difference.
I’be heard this a few times before. I get Trumps hateful rhetoric. What examples can you give of intolerance that’s being written into policy.
I never knew no Godfather. I got my own family, Senator."
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

thatsmell wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:09 pm

I’be heard this a few times before. I get Trumps hateful rhetoric. What examples can you give of intolerance that’s being written into policy.
Over here dude:

https://immigrationforum.org/article/fa ... ettlement/

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/19/politics ... index.html
“I wish you would!”
a fan

Post by a fan »

thatsmell wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:09 pm I’be heard this a few times before. I get Trumps hateful rhetoric. What examples can you give of intolerance that’s being written into policy.
Pretty good start here---- https://fortune.com/2019/06/22/pride-mo ... gbt-trump/

(snip)More recently, the Supreme Court upheld the Trump administration’s ban on transgender people serving in the military, and the Department of Health and Human Services proposed a rule change that could threaten healthcare protections for the transgender community.(snip)

(snip)Congress has made moves toward fighting discriminatory policies by introducing the Equality Act. If enacted, the Equality Act would prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex, gender identity, and sexual orientation.

The House was able to pass the act thanks to the transformative midterm elections, which saw a record number of women and minority representatives elected. The Republican-controlled Senate, however, has not voted on the matter, and Trump has voiced disapproval of the legislation.
(snip)
Typical Lax Dad

a fan wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:27 pm
thatsmell wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:09 pm I’be heard this a few times before. I get Trumps hateful rhetoric. What examples can you give of intolerance that’s being written into policy.
Pretty good start here---- https://fortune.com/2019/06/22/pride-mo ... gbt-trump/

(snip)More recently, the Supreme Court upheld the Trump administration’s ban on transgender people serving in the military, and the Department of Health and Human Services proposed a rule change that could threaten healthcare protections for the transgender community.(snip)

(snip)Congress has made moves toward fighting discriminatory policies by introducing the Equality Act. If enacted, the Equality Act would prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex, gender identity, and sexual orientation.

The House was able to pass the act thanks to the transformative midterm elections, which saw a record number of women and minority representatives elected. The Republican-controlled Senate, however, has not voted on the matter, and Trump has voiced disapproval of the legislation.
(snip)
Those people don’t count.
“I wish you would!”
old salt

Post by old salt »

thatsmell wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:48 pm No talk about the left eating itself with the Pete Buttigieg op ed by Dale Peck in the New Republic?

Not surprisingly, all of Peck's critiques were exactly in-line with the intolerence and hate that Brookie regularly levels against the right.
.:shock:. ...Peck really brings it.

...a gay parody of heteronormative bourgeois domesticity

It's reassuring to learn you're probably not homophobic if you spell theatre with a -re.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

thatsmell wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:09 pmWhat examples can you give of intolerance that’s being written into policy.
SCOTUS just ruled, 5-4, that extreme partisan gerrymandering is just fine with them. And most state legislatures are controlled by the right. This cements their control, and gives them a big boost in the House.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:45 pm

… kudos to 6ft for his investigative journalism. I don't believe historians have ever noted that Nazi Brown Shirts had "egged" Jews as one of their tactics. I thought they beat them up with wooden bats, iron bars and killed them with guns. This finding puts a new light on how vile the Nazi Brown Shirts really were.
Just helping 6 ft out, this individual looks more like a Nazi Brown Shirt victim. Michelle Malkin knows how to paint a picture of violence. Problem is, she never tells the whole story. She seemed to miss this photo of one of her victims - John Blum - taken earlier in the day.

Strange he doesn't look so innocent in this photo. Where is the gay guy in a skirt he was protecting?

I don't know, but this could be why only right wing rags are running with 6 ft's Nazi Brown Shirt story or Michelle Malkin's garbage.
72 is still looking diligently. In the meantime, yet again, during one of these donnybrooks someone will get killed. Is that worth the price for this idiotic nonsense? I know I am poking fun at these clowns, but inevitably some one on one side or the other will die and for what purpose? Maybe the whole point is to find a martyr to rally the people on your side to go beat some one to death as well on the other side. Sounds like a perfectly reasonable strategy to me. :roll:
That is exactly what I meant. Its only a matter of time. Thinking that the insanity of that day in Charlottsville might make both sides re-evaluate what they were doing. That is not the case... business as usual. Two sides filled with hate, anger and rage that will never stop justifying why they are angry and filled with rage. They would just as soon beat each other to death and justify their reasons for doing so. Today it is clubs and the like. How long before they break out the big guns and really have some fun?

Because the answer is quite obvious. The equivalent is everytime antifa puts on their black hoods and ventures forth with their baseball bats and cement shakes to hand out their own special brand of justice. For a smart guy MD sometimes you hide it quite well.. In my mind if you get beat up by a white nationalist or an antifa protester you still bleed red and you still feel the same pain.
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Can you give ONE example of "intolerance" being written into law or policy? This HAS to be one of those!

https://www.federalregister.gov/documen ... le-housing

and

https://www.federalregister.gov/documen ... -islanders

Again....can NOT stand tRump as a human being. Doesn't mean he's not doing some good, eh???? :shock: :shock:
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:04 am

Because the answer is quite obvious. The equivalent is everytime antifa puts on their black hoods and ventures forth with their baseball bats and cement shakes to hand out their own special brand of justice. For a smart guy MD sometimes you hide it quite well.. In my mind if you get beat up by a white nationalist or an antifa protester you still bleed red and you still feel the same pain.
Ok, so you've answered. And I quite agree that ANTIFA violence is wrong. So do most opponents of right-wing fascist groups and ideology. Portland, certainly a liberal city overall, is considering banning masks in protests. Makes sense.

Most of the anti-fascist protestors who show up are not Antifa, don't wear masks, etc, and are non-violent. I happen to know one such regular protestor who teaches anti-violence methods for protestors. Antifa undermines and disrupts these non-violent oppositions to the fascist groups and give right-wingers something to point to in 'whataboutist' fashion.

https://www.adl.org/resources/backgroun ... the-antifa

But I'm not sure its actually the same as the Charlottesville march by the neo-Nazi style groups. I'm not aware of Antifa showing up to march or protest other than in opposition to announced fascist marches/protests. Has Antifa, for instance, announced a march is some town in Alabama to terrorize its white residents?

And surely we can agree that the amount of terrorist deaths caused by white nationalist followers is orders of magnitude greater than any attributable to Antifa?

So, no, I don't agree that the answer is 'obvious'.
a fan

Post by a fan »

runrussellrun wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:22 am

Can you give ONE example of "intolerance" being written into law or policy? This HAS to be one of those!

https://www.federalregister.gov/documen ... le-housing

and

https://www.federalregister.gov/documen ... -islanders

Again....can NOT stand tRump as a human being. Doesn't mean he's not doing some good, eh???? :shock: :shock:
Did you read the EO's? Those are nothing burger declarations that carry no legal power. Come on, man.

And you'd like these policies, in they actually had power? Allowing the Federal government to dictate local zoning policies? I didn't peg you as that sort.
ChairmanOfTheBoard

Post by ChairmanOfTheBoard »

It was taken down. For a discussion, see Andrew Sullivan in NYMag.

this thread is headed towards WAI

that stands for whataboutism, and it's only allowed when convenient
There are 29,413,039 corporations in America; but only one Chairman of the Board.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:42 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:04 am

Ok, so you've answered. And I quite agree that ANTIFA violence is wrong. So do most opponents of right-wing fascist groups and ideology. Portland, certainly a liberal city overall, is considering banning masks in protests. Makes sense.

Most of the anti-fascist protestors who show up are not Antifa, don't wear masks, etc, and are non-violent. I happen to know one such regular protestor who teaches anti-violence methods for protestors. Antifa undermines and disrupts these non-violent oppositions to the fascist groups and give right-wingers something to point to in 'whataboutist' fashion.

https://www.adl.org/resources/backgroun ... the-antifa

But I'm not sure its actually the same as the Charlottesville march by the neo-Nazi style groups. I'm not aware of Antifa showing up to march or protest other than in opposition to announced fascist marches/protests. Has Antifa, for instance, announced a march is some town in Alabama to terrorize its white residents?

And surely we can agree that the amount of terrorist deaths caused by white nationalist followers is orders of magnitude greater than any attributable to Antifa?

So, no, I don't agree that the answer is 'obvious'.

Most of the anti-fascist protestors who show up are not Antifa, don't wear masks, etc, and are non-violent.

They must do a remarkable job of hiding behind the people with the masks and the bats and the cement shakes. Funny how not a damn one of them stood up and tried to protect that poor young man whose civil rights were so callously abused as he was publicly defiled and humiliated. Where were they MD? Are they invisible or are they just a bunch of cowards who won't call out the criminals among them? I guess they understand what will happen to them if they themselves stand up to the angry hate filled Antifa mobs. They are no damn different than the people they protest against. They should be treated the same way as the white supremacists. They should both be treated by law enforcement as terrorists groups and dealt with accordingly.
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
Typical Lax Dad

When I see Antifa hang a guy from a tree, I will see the equivalency.
“I wish you would!”
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

One could argue ANTIFA is a newer form of the KKK, only problem, they are afraid to go into the rural locales like in the olden days. For fear of not having police to protect them from getting their a$$ whooped.

It's all a media game. No one is any more racial like it was decades ago and likely much less if these days. We need to stop arguing over ridiculousness.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Typical Lax Dad

youthathletics wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:33 pm One could argue ANTIFA is a newer form of the KKK, only problem, they are afraid to go into the rural locales like in the olden days. For fear of not having police to protect them from getting their a$$ whooped.

It's all a media game. No one is any more racial like it was decades ago and likely much less if these days. We need to stop arguing over ridiculousness.
The JDL is the new Neo-nazi group?
“I wish you would!”
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

cradle and youth,

I don't think anyone here is condoning Antifa's violence. Pretty sure those tactics are roundly condemned,

Their goals are another matter. Unlike the "KKK", they are not demonstrating or standing for the supremacy of one race over another, indeed they stand in direct opposition to such racial supremacy ideology.

The problem we all have with them is the violent tactics. Their belief is that violence must be met with violence, lest fascism gain control and 'it's too late'. That has some historical basis, but it surely must be a last resort.

And it seems that way too many of the Antifa folks are spoiling for physical conflict, just as are the far right groups. So both get what they want when the violence breaks out.

But yes, I can quite assure you that most of the liberal protesters in various marches are indeed anti-violence. They are definitely the majority in most situations. At least until the violence begins and they have to give way.

When non-violent protestors come face to face with those with clubs, and those happily using them, the non-violent protestors have no choice but to give way. Either right or left, the clubs take over.

But guys, I made the ask, can't we agree that the number of deaths in the past decade due to right wing extremist terrorist acts is orders of magnitude greater than any caused by Antifa? I'm not sure there's even been one death caused by Antifa, but I wouldn't want to die on that bridge, so let's just say that the right wing extremist caused deaths dwarfs Antifa's???

There's no equivalency.

Return to “POLITICS”