Johns Hopkins 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Nereo12

Re: Johns Hopkins 2020

Post by Nereo12 »

The important for them is to build a team that with the years can return to the golden era
Homer

Post by Homer »

wgdsr wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:06 pm
jhu06 wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:03 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:11 pm Drexel hired Tucker Durkin as an assistant: https://twitter.com/Chris_Jast/status/1 ... 6910623745
Really surprised they don't have a running list of all the hopkins alumni/ex petro players coaching d1 in the media notes. Need to add for next year. Maybe IL can do a story on coaching trees. Would be interesting to see which coaches have the most of their ex players coaching the d1 game.
my guess would be messere from west genny.
Messere among high school coaches for sure. Extraordinary lineage.

For college coaches, it's probably not literally the most, but Keith Bugbee from Springfield College definitely deserves beyond an honorable mention... 4 former players are current D1 head coaches (Brian Brecht, Nick Myers, Jason Miller, Andrew Baxter), which is remarkable for a D3 program.

I suspect the actual answer though, at least if we're talking college coaches producing D1 HC's, is Pressler.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Homer wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:32 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:11 pm Drexel hired Tucker Durkin as an assistant: https://twitter.com/Chris_Jast/status/1 ... 6910623745
Really surprised they don't have a running list of all the hopkins alumni/ex petro players coaching d1 in the media notes. Need to add for next year. Maybe IL can do a story on coaching trees. Would be interesting to see which coaches have the most of their ex players coaching the d1 game.

For college coaches, it's probably not literally the most, but Keith Bugbee from Springfield College definitely deserves beyond an honorable mention... 4 former players are current D1 head coaches (Brian Brecht, Nick Myers, Jason Miller, Andrew Baxter), which is remarkable for a D3 program.

I suspect the actual answer though, at least if we're talking college coaches producing D1 HC's, is Pressler.
there are at least 6 right now from wg.
pressler has that many?
Homer

Post by Homer »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:51 pm
Homer wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:32 pm

there are at least 6 right now from wg.
pressler has that many?
Sorry if I wasn't clear... was agreeing with Messere as the obvious answer if we're considering both HS and college coaches. If we restrict it just to the latter -- Pressler has 5 right now that I can think of: Murphy, Cassese, Chemotti, Wray, Poli. Certainly wasn't trying to take anything away from Messere.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Used to be more but off the top of my head Dave Urick still has at least three in Tambroni, Fedorjaka and Gravante. Kerwick on and off, both Mark and guy Van arsdale have been d1 coaches. Bunch of D3 coaches as well.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

How come no players from Calvert Hall on JHU roster?
viper

Post by viper »

stupefied wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:11 am How come no players from Calvert Hall on JHU roster?
Obvious answer is the Bryan Kelly - Joe Bresci connection which not only continued the UNC pipeline, but also opened the OSU pipeline (when Bresci was there). If your last name is Kelly and you are from CHC - you are born with only those two options. If your name is not Kelly, there is still a good chance you will pick one of the two. UNC and OSU typically scrimmage at the Hall every fall and it's not unheard of to see Myers or Bresci show up on campus from time to time.

Many of the other D1 CHC grads also stay within the state tuition zone, ending up at Towson, UMD, Salsbury, etc.

As such, it's not atypical for Hopkins to have none to just one or two from CHC. Hopefully Tyler Dunn can represent CHC at Hopkins as well as some of his fellow alumni have (Brown, Huntley, Lightner, Castranova, etc).
HowieT3

Post by HowieT3 »

runrussellrun wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:47 am

....is email contact allowed, prior to that Sept. 1 date? No.

Or in person chats? No.

steve naive observes not much has changed. Who enforces these self imposed recruiting violations? The other teams because if they hear about them, they'll turn you in.
exactly
52 70 72 99
03 06 11 19 21
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

HowieT3 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:09 pm

Or in person chats? No.

steve naive observes not much has changed. Who enforces these self imposed recruiting violations? The other teams because if they hear about them, they'll turn you in.
exactly
Turn them in, to whom?

You really think a D1 coach is going to rat on a peer?
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
HowieT3

Post by HowieT3 »

runrussellrun wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:12 pm

Or in person chats? No.

exactly
Turn them in, to whom?

To the NCAA. Why not? It's a recruiting violation. Other sports do it all the time. How devastating would it be to a program to lose a full scholarship when they only have 12.6 to begin with? Syracuse lost a championship because of the car loan co-signing stuff. No one turned them in? They turned themselves in?
52 70 72 99
03 06 11 19 21
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Speaking of coaching trees, Lehigh just hired John Crawley as its new offensive coordinator. He's moving quickly up the ranks. There was a clip of him that went semi-viral a few weeks back of him drawing up a play on the whiteboard for the Atlas in the PLL while head coach John Paul kind of just stood there and watched. He clearly knows his X's and O's.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... taff/55086
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:50 am
NOVALax2015 wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:20 am Per Ty Xanders:
Cody Ince '20, M, McDonogh (Md.) / @FCA_MD_Lax has committed to Johns Hopkins. Great athlete at SSDM who is strong off the ground and can run all day.
A promising shortstick defensive midfielder, Ince showed excellent athleticism and a high compete level at the IL Invitational. His approach to contested groundballs stood out, as he was strong off the wings and when going from defense to offense.

There are aspects of his lacrosse IQ that he can clean up, but Ince has the potential to become a standout SSDM at the next level, wrapping up his commitment to Hopkins this week.
Sounds good to me.

Last two commits have been from Calvert Hall and McDonogh. I seem to recall someone a few months back saying Petro was struggling to get local kids. Hmm, that couldn't have been a lie, could it???
I think you are referring to me but I didn’t say Petro couldn’t recruit Baltimore and Maryland but that the team is better when there are more of those kids on the team from Baltimore/Maryland.

That isn’t to say other areas should be ignored only there is a still deep pool of players in the area that should be a prime focus.
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:29 pm Speaking of coaching trees, Lehigh just hired John Crawley as its new offensive coordinator. He's moving quickly up the ranks. There was a clip of him that went semi-viral a few weeks back of him drawing up a play on the whiteboard for the Atlas in the PLL while head coach John Paul kind of just stood there and watched. He clearly knows his X's and O's.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... taff/55086
Always loved Crawley. Wish him well!
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

HowieT3 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:17 pm
runrussellrun wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:12 pm

Or in person chats? No.

exactly
Turn them in, to whom?

To the NCAA. Why not? It's a recruiting violation. Other sports do it all the time. How devastating would it be to a program to lose a full scholarship when they only have 12.6 to begin with? Syracuse lost a championship because of the car loan co-signing stuff. No one turned them in? They turned themselves in?
I seem to recall a Cuse goalie who had some kind of beef turned them in.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

The association launched an investigation into Syracuse in 1993, after former player Jerry DeLorenzo accused the program of wrongdoing in an article printed in the Syracuse Post-Standard. DeLorenzo, who played goalie for the Orange in the late 1980s, alleged that Simmons improperly gave him $40 in cash, that Syracuse assistant coach John Desko helped to fix his grades and that the university improperly sued him for an overdue tuition bill of more than $5,000. The paper also reported that an improper car loan was made, attracting the NCAA's attention.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/ezed ... rosse-team
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

44WeWantMore wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:55 pm
The association launched an investigation into Syracuse in 1993, after former player Jerry DeLorenzo accused the program of wrongdoing in an article printed in the Syracuse Post-Standard. DeLorenzo, who played goalie for the Orange in the late 1980s, alleged that Simmons improperly gave him $40 in cash, that Syracuse assistant coach John Desko helped to fix his grades and that the university improperly sued him for an overdue tuition bill of more than $5,000. The paper also reported that an improper car loan was made, attracting the NCAA's attention.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/ezed ... rosse-team
That's what you call a teammate! I wonder if he makes it back to the alumni game?
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
ptjhu

Post by ptjhu »

viper wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:43 am
stupefied wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:11 am How come no players from Calvert Hall on JHU roster?
Obvious answer is the Bryan Kelly - Joe Bresci connection which not only continued the UNC pipeline, but also opened the OSU pipeline (when Bresci was there). If your last name is Kelly and you are from CHC - you are born with only those two options. If your name is not Kelly, there is still a good chance you will pick one of the two. UNC and OSU typically scrimmage at the Hall every fall and it's not unheard of to see Myers or Bresci show up on campus from time to time.

Many of the other D1 CHC grads also stay within the state tuition zone, ending up at Towson, UMD, Salsbury, etc.

As such, it's not atypical for Hopkins to have none to just one or two from CHC. Hopefully Tyler Dunn can represent CHC at Hopkins as well as some of his fellow alumni have (Brown, Huntley, Lightner, Castranova, etc).
Just don't understand all of these Calvert Hall kids going to Chapel Hill. Don't their parents want them to learn how to read, write and think?
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

I heard that NC campus visits are nothing short of amazing. Hard thing for a HS boy to turn down.
Laxter

Post by Laxter »

ptjhu wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:04 pm
viper wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:43 am

Just don't understand all of these Calvert Hall kids going to Chapel Hill. Don't their parents want them to learn how to read, write and think?
As an outsider, it certainly appears that Kelly steers his top players to UNC (or OSU as plan B). It would be funny to watch a Lars, Danowski or Petro (with Dunn as the exception I guess) recruit one of those kids and have them actually go there. I think this is especially true for UVa who is a rival. I can’t remember a kid from CHC ever ending up at UVa out of HS since Kelly has been the coach. If that did happen, I would think JB would not be a happy camper. Lol. There was a kid named Brett Wagner in the early 2000s who matriculated as a grad transfer but that was it. I get his sons and nephews wanting to go to UNC, but what about all the others that he steers to ol Chapel Hill? It’s comical at this point. Reminds me of the u19 selection process in terms of looking shady from the outside. Shouldn’t kids be able to explore all their options rather than just following a pipeline to one of two schools based on who their coach is and who their coach’s friends are?
10 10 2

Post by 10 10 2 »

Brian Kelly does not steer his top players towards UNC. Outside of the Kelly family, the only notable CHC grad over the past 10 years to go to Carolina was Evan Connell.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”