Johns Hopkins 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
44WeWantMore

Re: Johns Hopkins 2020

Post by 44WeWantMore »

And my wife, I tell you, she's no bargain either. No, really. She's fat. My wife, she's so fat, she has gravity. Satellites orbit *her*. And my kid, no right hand. Let me tell you, no right at all. But my boss, oh, my boss, he says no athletic admissions any more. I mean none! No respect, that's what I got, no respect; no respect at all.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
DMac

Post by DMac »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:14 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:46 pm
DMac wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:56 pm Am a little surprised to see young Petro as all left....can he go rightie too (this is not a criticism)?
He just finished his freshman season...that he's so good with one hand means he's well ahead of the curve. Plenty of time to work on that off hand.

Murphy and Grimes both made the U19 Team USA 30-man training roster. Grimes was one of just seven rising high school seniors to make the cut. The rest are rising high school freshmen.

https://teamusa.uslacrosse.org/us-under ... ining-team
To my eye, he did not appear constrained to one hand. But he definitely has a sweet spot.
But sheesh, we're back to talking about young kids on the Hopkins thread!
Geezuz H, MDlax, I simply asked a question figuring some of the Hop folks had seen this fragile child play and/or knew a whole lot more about him than what can be seen in the highlight video. Not to mention I clearly stated no criticizm was intended. Perhaps you remeber my stance on being able to go with both hands from the several times I posted it way back in the LP days. I'm not nearly as big on it as most folks are and would go as far as to say the necessity (as viwed by most) to be able to do so is highly overrated. The Gaits are just one (collectively) example of why I feel the way I do, they had virtually no right hand but were mighty effective. Cody Jaimeson, no right...there's quite a list of very good one handed players.
I watched the video again, could you watch it again and give me the time(s) to click on to see young Petro fire a righty shot?
As Rodney would say, tough crowd!!!!!
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

51percentcorn wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:12 pm little surprised no one else has posted this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdnqS179A3Y

Young child is handful - very first highlight is ridiculous
Is this Varsity? Either way, Harvard will be a better fit :D
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

51percentcorn wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:24 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:14 pm But sheesh, we're back to talking about young kids on the Hopkins thread!
This is a little different MD - I only brought him up because his father is the coach and was an all time great player. It doesn't take a genius to see if he grows a little bit, gets his knee healthy, works hard - he is going to be something special. If Petro is the coach in the spring of 2023 there's maybe a greater than 50/50 shot he goes to Hopkins. If Petro is not the coach and the separation was perhaps less than amicable I put it at near zero. It's a long way off. I promise there will no other discussions of rising high school sophs from me
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:14 pm But I'm hearing rumblings that Hop is having some issues getting the guys they want.
May or may not be true. Could be some opponents' wishful thinking!
Interesting rumblings. I'm not naive enough to think no one is talking to no one but given the new rules - Petro and his brethern can't reach out to 2021's until September correct? That seems like a lot of grapevine to traverse but I wouldn't know. We'll find out Sept 1 or soon thereafter.
....is email contact allowed, prior to that Sept. 1 date? Or in person chats? steve naive observes not much has changed. Who enforces these self imposed recruiting violations?
exactly
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

51percentcorn wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:24 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:14 pm But sheesh, we're back to talking about young kids on the Hopkins thread!
This is a little different MD - I only brought him up because his father is the coach and was an all time great player. It doesn't take a genius to see if he grows a little bit, gets his knee healthy, works hard - he is going to be something special. If Petro is the coach in the spring of 2023 there's maybe a greater than 50/50 shot he goes to Hopkins. If Petro is not the coach and the separation was perhaps less than amicable I put it at near zero. It's a long way off. I promise there will no other discussions of rising high school sophs from me

We agree. And it's certainly a valid aspect of the discussion about the future of Hopkins lax, coaching, etc. Just wanted to discourage speculation about youngsters best we can. I think the rush to compete for younger and younger players (ironically) hurt Hopkins in specific, and, more importantly, the sport in general.
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:14 pm But I'm hearing rumblings that Hop is having some issues getting the guys they want.
Interesting rumblings. I'm not naive enough to think no one is talking to no one but given the new rules - Petro and his brethern can't reach out to 2021's until September correct? That seems like a lot of grapevine to traverse but I wouldn't know. We'll find out Sept 1 or soon thereafter.
This is playing out this past year with 2020's. You're right about 21's, the direct discussions begin in September. The rumblings are more in the word of mouth of club and HS coaches with various coaches as to the mood of the lax community re Hopkins. As I said, this may be more wishful thinking by opponents than anything real, but that's the rumbling. I wouldn't say its the same as how the community was talking about UVA post scandal and declining performance post '11, but some of the same sorts of implications of some players shying away. But note, it wasn't as if UVA didn't continue to get some top notch players, some of whom were huge impact players in '19 !
Last edited by MDlaxfan76 on Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:28 am This is playing out this past year with 2020's. You're right about 21's, the direct discussions begin in September. The rumblings are more in the word of mouth of club and HS coaches with various coaches as to the mood of the lax community re Hopkins.
Even with the departure of Brookes - a ranked defenseman - isn't Hopkins 2020 class already full (15) and - if you want to believe the pundits - loaded? Grimes, Bauer, McDermott etc. As far as Brookes - even after the departure of Rapine and Colwell (and maybe Foley) - there will be no shortage of 6-ft poles - many also highly ranked - Ruddy, Rodgers, Smith, etc. One has to wonder if Petro's status will have any impact before Nov/Dec when these kids sign NLIs. Again, however, I have no finger on the pulse of the lax community on Hopkins.

With regards to early recruiting and its impact on Hopkins lax performance - I could not agree more
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:14 pm
DMac wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:56 pm Am a little surprised to see young Petro as all left....can he go rightie too (this is not a criticism)?
He just finished his freshman season...that he's so good with one hand means he's well ahead of the curve. Plenty of time to work on that off hand.

Murphy and Grimes both made the U19 Team USA 30-man training roster. Grimes was one of just seven rising high school seniors to make the cut. The rest are rising high school freshmen.

To my eye, he did not appear constrained to one hand. But he definitely has a sweet spot.

Later recruiting should benefit Hopkins.

But I'm hearing rumblings that Hop is having some issues getting the guys they want.
I don’t think any school gets ALL of the guys they want.

So, any example of not getting even just one person can be extrapolated into hyperbole.

I’d tell your sources to take a long walk off a short pier.
As I said, could just be some wishful thinking by opponents, wombat.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

DMac wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:06 pm

Geezuz H, MDlax, I simply asked a question figuring some of the Hop folks had seen this fragile child play and/or knew a whole lot more about him than what can be seen in the highlight video. Not to mention I clearly stated no criticizm was intended. Perhaps you remeber my stance on being able to go with both hands from the several times I posted it way back in the LP days. I'm not nearly as big on it as most folks are and would go as far as to say the necessity (as viwed by most) to be able to do so is highly overrated. The Gaits are just one (collectively) example of why I feel the way I do, they had virtually no right hand but were mighty effective. Cody Jaimeson, no right...there's quite a list of very good one handed players.
I watched the video again, could you watch it again and give me the time(s) to click on to see young Petro fire a righty shot?
Yes, I understood you as not necessarily critiquing but rather just asking whether anyone knew more. I'd only seen him play 'live' so wasn't as focused on the highlight reel. I just didn't notice from his full game play that he was constrained to his left, though obviously he has a wicked lefty shot. He plays on that side, and gets most of his shots off from that side. But his stick work looked like solid both hands, so one would expect that if he has the sorts of personal disciplines that one might expect, he'll be able to 'punish' opponents who over play his left. I also suspect that he's going to develop physically into the sort of player like those you mention who can physically demand their strong hand and get it. The play at the beginning of the video is the sort of play of just imposing one's will to get hands free. This is just MIAA varsity so not college, but nevertheless he's also just a freshman playing mostly older players, most much older. I was impressed watching him play 'live'.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:28 am
This is playing out this past year with 2020's. You're right about 21's, the direct discussions begin in September. The rumblings are more in the word of mouth of club and HS coaches with various coaches as to the mood of the lax community re Hopkins. As I said, this may be more wishful thinking by opponents than anything real, but that's the rumbling.
This "rumbling" sounds like total BS quite frankly. Hopkins has 9 commits in the 2020 top 100, according to IL. So they are getting more than their fair share of guys they want. The 2020 class is actually an argument that Hopkins is still doing quite well on the recruiting trail despite recent mediocre play on the field. I might perhaps buy this line of thinking a little more were it about this upcoming class of '19s, which is still highly ranked but lacks "star power," relatively speaking. Only 6 guys in IL's top 100 and none in the top 20. Only UAAA was the goalie Marcille. Owen Murphy is the highest ranked offensive player at #47. (A few years back he was considered a top 5 attackman in the class but seems to have fallen a bit since then—though he did just make the U19 training roster, so perhaps he'll climb the ladder again.)

Now, I wouldn't be shocked if one or two more 2020s flip before the NLI date, but Hopkins surely won't be the only school where that happens.
DMac

Post by DMac »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:01 am

Yes, I understood you as not necessarily critiquing but rather just asking whether anyone knew more. I'd only seen him play 'live' so wasn't as focused on the highlight reel. I just didn't notice from his full game play that he was constrained to his left, though obviously he has a wicked lefty shot. He plays on that side, and gets most of his shots off from that side. But his stick work looked like solid both hands, so one would expect that if he has the sorts of personal disciplines that one might expect, he'll be able to 'punish' opponents who over play his left. I also suspect that he's going to develop physically into the sort of player like those you mention who can physically demand their strong hand and get it. The play at the beginning of the video is the sort of play of just imposing one's will to get hands free. This is just MIAA varsity so not college, but nevertheless he's also just a freshman playing mostly older players, most much older. I was impressed watching him play 'live'.
Well, then why this snarky remark?
Have you watched the video? I'll ask again, where do I click on the video to see young Petro going right handed with the ball in his stick? A pass, a shot, a dodge...anything? The only thing you'll see him do right handed is when he's using one hand to go over the top of a player on the ride to try to strip the ball (which he does successfully a couple of times), and I'd bet that's because he's a another right handed person who plays lacrosse lefted handed (like the Gaits and many others).
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

But his dad firmly believes that you can't take the ball away :o
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

51percentcorn wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:49 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:28 am This is playing out this past year with 2020's. You're right about 21's, the direct discussions begin in September. The rumblings are more in the word of mouth of club and HS coaches with various coaches as to the mood of the lax community re Hopkins.
Even with the departure of Brookes - a ranked defenseman - isn't Hopkins 2020 class already full (15) and - if you want to believe the pundits - loaded? Grimes, Bauer, McDermott etc. As far as Brookes - even after the departure of Rapine and Colwell (and maybe Foley) - there will be no shortage of 6-ft poles - many also highly ranked - Ruddy, Rodgers, Smith, etc. One has to wonder if Petro's status will have any impact before Nov/Dec when these kids sign NLIs. Again, however, I have no finger on the pulse of the lax community on Hopkins.

With regards to early recruiting and its impact on Hopkins lax performance - I could not agree more
Speaking of McDermott, I watched the Naptown Challenge replay on ESPN—McDermott played for SweetLax (as did a few other Hop commits) against Brett Martin and Team 91 Crush. McDermott can flat out play.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Hopkins has had issues with getting some of the players it wants for a variety of reasons. One of which may become less of an issue with the Bloomberg gift. Others, and I posted about it a few years ago the impression you have to work harder on academics there than other places. Some players want to get away from home. Hofstra has this issue too. Some players want the big school athletic program. ACC used to rule that niche. Now the B1G competes in that area. It has its advantages too. But with the spread of the sport, the growth in numbers of schools fully funding programs eg Notre Dame until not too long ago etc. I have been out of touch with recent developments. I can recall one player whose final two were Princeton and Hopkins and chose Princeton. He replied that honestly he chose Princeton because it would be a lighter academic burden. He became a first teamer. Another player chose Duke because Coach K spent over an hour with him and he loved the hoops program. Every program has kids they want but can’t get. Some programs are self selected first choices. One program this century gitctop players who were very talented but wanted a program that wasn’t as demanding as others academically or on the field.

Petro doesn’t think you can’t take the ball away. He thinks it’s harder l. He believed the risk reward isn’t there with the changes in stick technology eg positioning after the attempt. He doesn’t like over committing though I don’t know his view with the shot clock now
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

DMac wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:40 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:01 am

Well, then why this snarky remark?
Have you watched the video? I'll ask again, where do I click on the video to see young Petro going right handed with the ball in his stick? A pass, a shot, a dodge...anything? The only thing you'll see him do right handed is when he's using one hand to go over the top of a player on the ride to try to strip the ball (which he does successfully a couple of times), and I'd bet that's because he's a another right handed person who plays lacrosse lefted handed (like the Gaits and many others).
To answer your first question it was not intended to come across "snarky", and certainly not to you personally. You and I quite agree on the topic of ER, as I recall. I just think that there's an ironic (for Hopkins), and perhaps unseemly, aspect of discussing kids this young. Usually best to be avoided. That said, I understood the special circumstances of this case and why it was raised on this thread, given other discussions that may be related.

I'm not disagreeing with you about the video nor that players with the right attitude and physicality can do really well, though quite dominant handed. I just don't recall getting the sense, when watching the games I saw 'live', that he was so one handed as to avoid using his off hand. I'd think I'd have noticed had that been the case, as it does become pretty apparent when watching some Canadian players that they almost never use the off hand. That's fine, and they adapt their style and tactics to that constraint. The best do so quite well!

BTW, I encouraged my son, who does everything else right-handed but first picked up a stick left-handed, to focus on that as his strong hand for the first years of his play. I later encouraged him to spend 2X the time taking shots with his off-hand. He was always stronger with the original dominant hand, but more than competent with the off-hand. When he switched to the goal in 8th grade he continued as a lefty, but was unusually adept at being able to switch hands to an outlet pass or off a dodge or ground ball or simple change of direction. Most goalies look like a fish out of water if pressured on their strong hand, but he was comfortable. In drills with field players he did the same hand switching as everyone else, and just made it a habit in all his casual throwing the ball around to catch with one hand and throw with the other, then reverse. Toward the end of his college career, he was beginning to experiment with switching hands in the net to throw off shooters but injuries got in the way of summer ball play when experimentation is easier and lower risk. Would have been fun to see...
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:19 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:28 am
This is playing out this past year with 2020's. You're right about 21's, the direct discussions begin in September. The rumblings are more in the word of mouth of club and HS coaches with various coaches as to the mood of the lax community re Hopkins. As I said, this may be more wishful thinking by opponents than anything real, but that's the rumbling.
This "rumbling" sounds like total BS quite frankly. Hopkins has 9 commits in the 2020 top 100, according to IL. So they are getting more than their fair share of guys they want. The 2020 class is actually an argument that Hopkins is still doing quite well on the recruiting trail despite recent mediocre play on the field. I might perhaps buy this line of thinking a little more were it about this upcoming class of '19s, which is still highly ranked but lacks "star power," relatively speaking. Only 6 guys in IL's top 100 and none in the top 20. Only UAAA was the goalie Marcille. Owen Murphy is the highest ranked offensive player at #47. (A few years back he was considered a top 5 attackman in the class but seems to have fallen a bit since then—though he did just make the U19 training roster, so perhaps he'll climb the ladder again.)

Now, I wouldn't be shocked if one or two more 2020s flip before the NLI date, but Hopkins surely won't be the only school where that happens.
As I said, it may be all wishful thinking by opponents.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Haters.

Or, in millennial speak: haterz.
DMac

Post by DMac »

I did think you were jumping on me for commenting on the youngster's seemingly one handedness, MDlax, my bad for misinterpreting. The kid's got a rocket.
By the time my natural righty middle one was his age, you'd be hard pressed to tell what his natural hand was. Then again, I started making him feel comfortable with his left from pretty much day one.
;)
I hung that stick over his face, was the first think he saw every time he opened his eyes for months. :lol:
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Took me a moment to notice the stick.
NOVALax2015

Post by NOVALax2015 »

Per Ty Xanders:
Cody Ince '20, M, McDonogh (Md.) / @FCA_MD_Lax has committed to Johns Hopkins. Great athlete at SSDM who is strong off the ground and can run all day.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

NOVALax2015 wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:20 am Per Ty Xanders:
Cody Ince '20, M, McDonogh (Md.) / @FCA_MD_Lax has committed to Johns Hopkins. Great athlete at SSDM who is strong off the ground and can run all day.
A promising shortstick defensive midfielder, Ince showed excellent athleticism and a high compete level at the IL Invitational. His approach to contested groundballs stood out, as he was strong off the wings and when going from defense to offense.

There are aspects of his lacrosse IQ that he can clean up, but Ince has the potential to become a standout SSDM at the next level, wrapping up his commitment to Hopkins this week.
Sounds good to me.

Last two commits have been from Calvert Hall and McDonogh. I seem to recall someone a few months back saying Petro was struggling to get local kids. Hmm, that couldn't have been a lie, could it???

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”