Loyola University Lacrosse 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
shaadb-man

Re: Loyola University Lacrosse 2020

Post by shaadb-man »

houndace1 wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:17 pm Other transfer news...

Riley Seay from Bellarmine is transferring to loyola after a 39 point season (30 goals, 9 assists).

Also, 6’1 midfielder, Jack Decker from Marist is transferring from Marist to loyola as well.

Perhaps these two additions will help organically replace the production from the loss of Scanlan
Not even close
Justafan

Post by Justafan »

Interested to see how pridemore does. Seems like he can be really good. But I am not sold on him yet.

Seay will be interesting. If you look at all his stats, he did well in points. But he also only shot somewhere around 20% or so. He takes a lot of shots and misses a ton. That always scares me. But definitely seems to have the potential to be good.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

blue angels wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:45 am
HopFan16 wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:06 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:17 pm And let me add this too. I don't think Shack by his senior year was really all that good, but still he played nearly every second of every game. I'm sure you can say that he scored 50+ points etc..., but my eyes and many others thought he was very slow relative to competition, and I am not sure he actually caused any wins.
This part in particular gets worse the more you look at it. Speaking of Spencer, he's the only player in the Greyhounds' 36-year history as a D1 lacrosse team with more career points than Stanwick. Shack's measly 209 "not all that good," "not causing any wins" points would be good for SECOND ALL-TIME in Loyola's history. Third if you count Hanley, who played in the late 70s when the team was D2.

Clown show. Nearly rivals your "Loyola is going to be better without Pat Spencer" take but I honestly don't think anything can ever top that one.
Well.....Look out for Ross Pridemore who is going to break all of Spencer’s records. He’s a great attack man
Blue angels and the other UVA fans who frequent this thread. Pridemore was originally a recruit for UVA, former No 1 overall before school transfers/injuries etc. For those of you watched film or in person, what can you say of him in terms of attributes/tendencies?
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

houndace1 wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:43 pm
blue angels wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:45 am
HopFan16 wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:06 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:17 pm And let me add this too. I don't think Shack by his senior year was really all that good, but still he played nearly every second of every game. I'm sure you can say that he scored 50+ points etc..., but my eyes and many others thought he was very slow relative to competition, and I am not sure he actually caused any wins.
This part in particular gets worse the more you look at it. Speaking of Spencer, he's the only player in the Greyhounds' 36-year history as a D1 lacrosse team with more career points than Stanwick. Shack's measly 209 "not all that good," "not causing any wins" points would be good for SECOND ALL-TIME in Loyola's history. Third if you count Hanley, who played in the late 70s when the team was D2.

Clown show. Nearly rivals your "Loyola is going to be better without Pat Spencer" take but I honestly don't think anything can ever top that one.
Well.....Look out for Ross Pridemore who is going to break all of Spencer’s records. He’s a great attack man
Blue angels and the other UVA fans who frequent this thread. Pridemore was originally a recruit for UVA, former No 1 overall before school transfers/injuries etc. For those of you watched film or in person, what can you say of him in terms of attributes/tendencies?
Made All New England as a 9th Grader at Taft in the tough Founders league which was unheard of so had plenty of talent. Then was involved in something like 4 or 5 school transfers. Don't know the exact details of the UVA disconnect with the staff change and Lost track after that. I was obviously kidding, per the constant Hyperbole and poor form bad mouthing of other team's players by 1 of your team's fans
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

shaadb-man wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:38 pm

Riley Seay from Bellarmine is transferring to loyola after a 39 point season (30 goals, 9 assists).

Also, 6’1 midfielder, Jack Decker from Marist is transferring from Marist to loyola as well.

Perhaps these two additions will help organically replace the production from the loss of Scanlan
Not even close
You never know. People scoffed when Loyola picked up an unknown transfer from D2 Gannon all those years ago and it worked out pretty well.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Not even close

For those who don't follow Loyola, please note that Scanlan was not a middie in any traditional sense. He functioned on the Hounds like a 4th attackman, which made for strange offense which occasionally feel prey to Spencer ball watching. It's more analogous to ask if these two pickups replace Duffy/Brown/McGovern.

In any event, these two pickups are further proof that the Hounds in 2020 will be very strong. Had Scanlan stayed at Loyola, I'm not sure if Toomey would have permanently moved him to the 3rd attack spot or kept him in that unusual hybrid role as part attack/part middie. His natural game imo does not mesh well with Olmstead/Lindley's games.

In any event, for the stalkers on here, Loyola will indeed be a stronger team next year, heresy as it may sound to some. My only open question remains the goalie spot...Stover ironically is a tougher piece to replace than Pat. If somehow Brandau chooses Loyola, that would be intriguing. Not sure it fully solves the hole, but it clearly would fill part of it. It might also cause an issue with the incoming freshman.

Have at it!
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Peter Brown wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:21 am

Not even close

For those who don't follow Loyola, please note that Scanlan was not a middie in any traditional sense. He functioned on the Hounds like a 4th attackman, which made for strange offense which occasionally feel prey to Spencer ball watching. It's more analogous to ask if these two pickups replace Duffy/Brown/McGovern.

In any event, these two pickups are further proof that the Hounds in 2020 will be very strong. Had Scanlan stayed at Loyola, I'm not sure if Toomey would have permanently moved him to the 3rd attack spot or kept him in that unusual hybrid role as part attack/part middie. His natural game imo does not mesh well with Olmstead/Lindley's games.

In any event, for the stalkers on here, Loyola will indeed be a stronger team next year, heresy as it may sound to some. My only open question remains the goalie spot...Stover ironically is a tougher piece to replace than Pat. If somehow Brandau chooses Loyola, that would be intriguing. Not sure it fully solves the hole, but it clearly would fill part of it. It might also cause an issue with the incoming freshman.

Have at it!
Seay could replace Duffy in terms of outside shooting. Duffy was a volume shooter for outside rips and shooting on the run. From what other posters say about Seay's game, he takes a lot of shots but misses a bunch too,similar to Romar Dennis maybe?
EDIT: his highlight tape shows predominantly lefty, able to find cutting players for an assist, or shoot sidearm and overhand. Nose for digging out ground balls. Pretty much a skillset like Duffy
Also found this scouting report on Pridemore from Recruiting rundown from about 3 years ago.

College coaches say: “His IQ stands out more than anything. The most valuable players to recruit are goalies and X attackman and he’s definitely the most polished kid in terms of pure skill… I see him quarterbacking Virginia’s attack as soon as [Ryan] Lukacovic graduates.”
Ty’s Take: Earning 1st Team All-Western New England honors in a league dominated by 18 and 19-year-olds, Pridemore made a statement this spring when he led Taft School (Conn.) in scoring with 23 goals and 23 assists. On top of that, he was one of just eight 2018’s in the entire Under Armour Underclass event and ended up as Upstate’s 2nd leading scorer, following that up with excellent showings at Maverik Showtime and with the SweetLax program. After a year that also saw him start at running back on the varsity football team, he’ll now head to McCallie School (Tenn.) in Chattanooga, just a few hours from his birthplace of Atlanta. Slick, shifty and dynamic, he’s the prototypical quarterback who turns the corner impeccably, unselfishly sets up teammates well and buries everything with time and room. For that, Ross Pridemore earns the No. 1 spot in the first Class of 2018 rankings.

Yes its 3 years ago and at that point the kid was young, but he took the spot away from Epstein and Jacob Kelly in that timespan.

Finally PB, these hot takes of yours are like gravity. Because the board takes up a fair amount of pages now between our posts, the hotter the take, the bigger the dissentment, and the greater the attraction. Sounds like ESPN's first take, or FS1''s Undisputed.
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
Hounds01

Post by Hounds01 »

houndace1 wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:44 am

Not even close

Have at it!
Seay could replace Duffy in terms of outside shooting. Duffy was a volume shooter for outside rips and shooting on the run. From what other posters say about Seay's game, he takes a lot of shots but misses a bunch too,similar to Romar Dennis maybe?
EDIT: his highlight tape shows predominantly lefty, able to find cutting players for an assist, or shoot sidearm and overhand. Nose for digging out ground balls. Pretty much a skillset like Duffy
Also found this scouting report on Pridemore from Recruiting rundown from about 3 years ago.

College coaches say: “His IQ stands out more than anything. The most valuable players to recruit are goalies and X attackman and he’s definitely the most polished kid in terms of pure skill… I see him quarterbacking Virginia’s attack as soon as [Ryan] Lukacovic graduates.”
Ty’s Take: Earning 1st Team All-Western New England honors in a league dominated by 18 and 19-year-olds, Pridemore made a statement this spring when he led Taft School (Conn.) in scoring with 23 goals and 23 assists. On top of that, he was one of just eight 2018’s in the entire Under Armour Underclass event and ended up as Upstate’s 2nd leading scorer, following that up with excellent showings at Maverik Showtime and with the SweetLax program. After a year that also saw him start at running back on the varsity football team, he’ll now head to McCallie School (Tenn.) in Chattanooga, just a few hours from his birthplace of Atlanta. Slick, shifty and dynamic, he’s the prototypical quarterback who turns the corner impeccably, unselfishly sets up teammates well and buries everything with time and room. For that, Ross Pridemore earns the No. 1 spot in the first Class of 2018 rankings.

Yes its 3 years ago and at that point the kid was young, but he took the spot away from Epstein and Jacob Kelly in that timespan.

Finally PB, these hot takes of yours are like gravity. Because the board takes up a fair amount of pages now between our posts, the hotter the take, the bigger the dissentment, and the greater the attraction. Sounds like ESPN's first take, or FS1''s Undisputed.
With all due respect, these two transfers are coming from middle to bottom tier programs... There was a reason they did not go bigger...you have bateman, cox, swindell, cain , wigley, are all solid middies that can play

I do believe that Pridmore will be the third attack, has great vision and can shoot

I do think loyola will be better as a team without scanlon... cut the virus out and good things will happen
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

houndace1 wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:44 am

Not even close

Have at it!

Indeed.

I can tell by many of the dissenters here who say a Hounds' fan like myself has no idea what he's talking about when I aver that the 2020 version will trump the 2019 version of Loyola Lax, they are in effect exposing themselves as completely oblivious to what ailed our team last year (which PSU took great advantage of). Our biggest weaknesses last year were 1) defensive communication 2) occasional FOGO wing boneheadness and 3) offensive ball-watching. I believe that all 3 will be significantly improved based on the facts previously laid out.

My fanlax forum opposition sees Pat Spencer and says, 'how can you be better when you lose such a superstar!??!' The whole can often be greater than the sum of the parts is my retort. It's too easy to think one guy can pull a team, or even two guys. More often than not, it's about how well the team (not one guy) gels on the field. I see our defense as being SIGNIFICANTLY better next year; our FOGO position will be excellent, not simply good; and our offense has the potential to be way more complete (Lindley is a leader...watch).

If my fanlax dissenters would focus more on Stover's absence (the real problem for our 2020 team), I'd give them proper respect. ;)
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

I understand your points. I have seen teams led by a couple of individuals with a complete team approach win titles.

I don’t know enough about LC fo want to try and predict how they will do in 2020. I do believe Spenser made players better with his ability to see the field, get the ball where it needs to be when it needs to be there and distort defenses. I expect the production of some players to drop in 2020. That said if they can replace or compensate for what they lose I see no reason they cannot be in the discussion
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

OCanada wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:06 am I understand your points. I have seen teams led by a couple of individuals with a complete team approach win titles.

I don’t know enough about LC fo want to try and predict how they will do in 2020. I do believe Spenser made players better with his ability to see the field, get the ball where it needs to be when it needs to be there and distort defenses. I expect the production of some players to drop in 2020. That said if they can replace or compensate for what they lose I see no reason they cannot be in the discussion
Concur with your view. I have no idea how 2020 Loyola will fair with their graduation losses but they have a great coach so only a fool would rule them out of the discussion. That being said, Spencer had 65 assists this season so a true team player and catalyst for the rest of the offensive players. No one else had close to half that number so to somehow assume his loss won't be a significant blow is absurd. Olmstead and Lindley will also receive significantly more defensive attention than was possible with Spencer on the field. They may blossom against it or not. Regardless, I wouldn't bet against Toomey.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Stepping away from the transfer discussion, looks like one of our incoming freshman recruits (listed on IL as a middie, but in this article as attack) was just awarded Midwest High School Player of the Year by USLax. Not shabby considering he's competing against the entire Culver and Brother Rice lineups, among many others. Great job Evan James, and welcome to the RAC!!!! Oh also, his favorite sport besides lacrosse: basketball. Ring a bell anyone? The kid is a goal scorer and feeder. I keep thinking of someone else I knew... ;)

https://www.uslaxmagazine.com/high-scho ... f-the-year

I'm telling you good people...underestimate the '20 Hounds at your peril. We will be significantly better than pre-season predictions.
luvlaxlife

Post by luvlaxlife »

Peter Brown wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:38 am
I'm telling you good people...underestimate the '20 Hounds at your peril. We will be significantly better than pre-season predictions.
I'm more for the guys in blue down the street, but love the optimism you inject into the Forum for Loyola. Much more uplifting to read and creates an enthusiastic energy moving toward fall. Will it come true? Who knows, but it makes the off season more fun than "listening" to the constant negativity and living under the black cloud that envelopes this forum with the other team.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Peter Brown wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:38 am Stepping away from the transfer discussion, looks like one of our incoming freshman recruits (listed on IL as a middie, but in this article as attack) was just awarded Midwest High School Player of the Year by USLax. Not shabby considering he's competing against the entire Culver and Brother Rice lineups, among many others. Great job Evan James, and welcome to the RAC!!!! Oh also, his favorite sport besides lacrosse: basketball. Ring a bell anyone? The kid is a goal scorer and feeder. I keep thinking of someone else I knew... ;)

Also PB, another incoming freshman, Joey Kamish was deemed "Mr. Lacrosse" by the Michigan High School Lacrosse Coaches Association after leading his team to the state championship game against Bloomfield Hills Brother Rice, which i think is a power in the Michigan High School scene. Posted 85 goals and 42 assists in 24 games.
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

houndace1 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:21 am
Peter Brown wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:38 am Stepping away from the transfer discussion, looks like one of our incoming freshman recruits (listed on IL as a middie, but in this article as attack) was just awarded Midwest High School Player of the Year by USLax. Not shabby considering he's competing against the entire Culver and Brother Rice lineups, among many others. Great job Evan James, and welcome to the RAC!!!! Oh also, his favorite sport besides lacrosse: basketball. Ring a bell anyone? The kid is a goal scorer and feeder. I keep thinking of someone else I knew... ;)

Also PB, another incoming freshman, Joey Kamish was deemed "Mr. Lacrosse" by the Michigan High School Lacrosse Coaches Association after leading his team to the state championship game against Bloomfield Hills Brother Rice, which i think is a power in the Michigan High School scene. Posted 85 goals and 42 assists in 24 games.

Thanks! I haven't even seen his highlights til now. Joey Kamish is the real deal. Great first step, dodge, stutter move, and excellent lefty crank with a very capable righty to boot.

Who can not wait to beat UVA in our first game?!?!? And then to think I get to enjoy my crab and beer feast from those two fanlax jokers I bet!

I haven't been so optimistic about a squad in forever. “We came in like lambs and will rule like wolves.” - Francesco Borgia, Third Jesuit Superior General. Rock on.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

luvlaxlife wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:10 am
Peter Brown wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:38 am
I'm more for the guys in blue down the street, but love the optimism you inject into the Forum for Loyola. Much more uplifting to read and creates an enthusiastic energy moving toward fall. Will it come true? Who knows, but it makes the off season more fun than "listening" to the constant negativity and living under the black cloud that envelopes this forum with the other team.

Having a Jesuit heart enables so much joy in life, even though I'm Episcopalian. :lol:

“Laugh and grow strong” ― Ignatius of Loyola

Hounds in '20, baby!
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Peter Brown wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:40 am

Thanks! I haven't even seen his highlights til now. Joey Kamish is the real deal. Great first step, dodge, stutter move, and excellent lefty crank with a very capable righty to boot.

Who can not wait to beat UVA in our first game?!?!? And then to think I get to enjoy my crab and beer feast from those two fanlax jokers I bet!

I haven't been so optimistic about a squad in forever. “We came in like lambs and will rule like wolves.” - Francesco Borgia, Third Jesuit Superior General. Rock on.

Not to play devil's advocate, but what if the 2020 team doesn't achieve the success you predict they will have?

What if they don't:
a). Win the PL
OR
B). Make it to the PL tournament/NCAA tournament
OR
c). Beat UVA, or have a winning record
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

houndace1 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:46 am

Not to play devil's advocate, but what if the 2020 team doesn't achieve the success you predict they will have?

What if they don't:
a). Win the PL
OR
OR

Inconceivable!

Winnie the Pooh forecast our '20 squad many years back by saying these immortal words: I ALWAYS GET TO WHERE I’M GOING BY WALKING AWAY FROM WHERE I HAVE BEEN. New squad, new style.

The PL is there for the taking next year (ie: weaker). Special note of thanks to Chris Gray for helping in that regard!

The NCAA tourney, I've already booked my hotel. Don't worry.

The 'Hoos will be bloviated cocksure NC champs coming out of winter break with all their fraternity benders and hot but crazy coeds, knowing full well that only a compromised referee threw them their game against the Terps, a far superior athletic squad who had a momentary lapse in concentration. Their confidence shall be paper thin coming into '20. We own the Hoos. They are like our favorite dog to play with.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

What if they don't:
a). Win the PL
OR
OR
not that it has to be as bad as above, but the short answer is... i eat like a king.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

wgdsr wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:00 am

What if they don't:
a). Win the PL
OR
OR
not that it has to be as bad as above, but the short answer is... i eat like a king.

Might i also suggest Petes Grill for some food? its near the hopkins campus... OR good ole Miss Shirleys for some quality breakfast.
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”