2020 Elections - Trump FIRED

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Typical Lax Dad

Re: 2020 Elections - A Reckoning

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

DMac wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:53 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:18 am
DMac wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:21 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote
I don't recall the 'formula' that was once used,
The one drop rule.
TLD wrote
If most people here didn’t know her and ran into Kamala at a grocery store, I don’t think they would think she was anything other than another black lady.
I absolutely would not see Kamala as "another black lady". No more so than I'd see the Great Cocker as a Great Dane. Wouldn't see her as a Swede, but likely a Latino.
Funny re not seeing Harris as 'black'. I know quite a few 'black' women of various complexions and likely mixed heritages. All of them would self-identify with the 'black experience' in America, none would deny their African roots as part of their ethnic heritage. BTW, quite a few latinos have some or a lot of African heritage, so perhaps that's what you're 'seeing'.

But I'd agree that I wouldn't see her simply as 'another black lady'.
She's too attractive looking (to my eyes) to simply be "another" anything.
Which one is the Black lady, which one is the Latino lady?
That's why I wouldn't see Kamala as a Black lady.
I am thirsty
“I wish you would!”
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote
The one drop rule.
TLD wrote
If most people here didn’t know her and ran into Kamala at a grocery store, I don’t think they would think she was anything other than another black lady.
I absolutely would not see Kamala as "another black lady". No more so than I'd see the Great Cocker as a Great Dane. Wouldn't see her as a Swede, but likely a Latino.
Funny re not seeing Harris as 'black'. I know quite a few 'black' women of various complexions and likely mixed heritages. All of them would self-identify with the 'black experience' in America, none would deny their African roots as part of their ethnic heritage. BTW, quite a few latinos have some or a lot of African heritage, so perhaps that's what you're 'seeing'.

J Lo likely has some African heritage too, as J Lo’s parents are from Puerto Rico, 80% of whom have African heritage. In that picture she appears darker skinned than in most pics, probably with some bronzer or sun.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:51 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote
The one drop rule.
TLD wrote

J Lo likely has some African heritage too, as J Lo’s parents are from Puerto Rico, 80% of whom have African heritage. In that picture she appears darker skinned than in most pics, probably with some bronzer or sun.

Pretty darn attractive pair of gals, though I doubt we'll see Harris clothed that way...
DMac

Post by DMac »

Which one never smoked pot?
(trick question)

Surely it's reasonable to think that someone would be (more) apt to indentify her as a Latino in a super market.
Typical Lax Dad

DMac wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:13 pm Which one is the Black lady, which one is the Latino lady?

Which one never smoked pot?
(trick question)

Surely it's reasonable to think that someone would be (more) apt to indentify her as a Latino in a super market.
Most people would call all of them black (or worse), but some may say Kamala is not a "real" black.....I would bet my retirement that all of them have been called worse at some point in their lives ;) All smoked pot at some point, if I had to bet!
“I wish you would!”
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

I can't believe are having a discussion about Kamala's "blackness"

But, what I do think puts off some people is a sense that she is opportunistic about claiming various aggrieved status bona fides.... My understanding is that she chose to be sworn in as an Indian-American, not a black, congress-woman? Those kinds of calculations strike hollow with many folks.
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

anyone ever hear the story about the first time Snoop smoked pot with WIlly? Apparently, Snoop had never been more high in his life..... :shock: :lol:
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
old salt

Post by old salt »

HooDat wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:29 pm I can't believe are having a discussion about Kamala's "blackness"

But, what I do think puts off some people is a sense that she is opportunistic about claiming various aggrieved status bona fides.... My understanding is that she chose to be sworn in as an Indian-American, not a black, congress-woman? Those kinds of calculations strike hollow with many folks.
It will become an issue when she proposes her plan for reparations.
DMac

Post by DMac »

HooDat wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:29 pm I can't believe are having a discussion about Kamala's "blackness"
Nay, nay, nay, it's not about her "blackness"....

...^ this.
I did hear hear Snoop tell his Willie story.
Gotta love Snoop, he's had quite an influence on Martha.
(click on at 1:35)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8wOs1On0pk
Last edited by DMac on Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:54 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:51 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote
The one drop rule.
TLD wrote

She's got her Alex Rodriguez rub on!
Typical Lax Dad

She won’t be the first person to use their heritage opportunistically. I had always thought she was black. Didn’t know until recently she had East Indian heritage. No big deal.
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

DMac wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:46 pm
Nay, nay, nay, it's not about her "blackness"....

...^ this.
I did hear hear Snoop tell his Willie story.
Gotta love Snoop, he's had quite an influence on Martha.
(click on at 1:35)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8wOs1On0pk
Snoop and Martha are quite a team. I liked their program. My daughter really liked it.
“I wish you would!”
DMac

Post by DMac »

One would think an unlikely duo but they're highly entertaining together.
As for the "no big deal", agree 100%. Just don't care about the ethnicity, gay, gender, color hair/eyes, etc., only care about the right and best person for the job.
Typical Lax Dad

DMac wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:59 pm One would think an unlikely duo but they're highly entertaining together.
As for the "no big deal", agree 100%. Just don't care about the ethnicity, gay, gender, color hair/eyes, etc., only care about the right and best person for the job.
Martha is something else. She actually had bankers at her house to go over a deal years ago. She made sandwiches and finger food. At the end of the meeting, she charged for the food and handed out a receipt!
“I wish you would!”
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:10 pm

She won’t be the first person to use their heritage opportunistically. I had always thought she was black. Didn’t know until recently she had East Indian heritage. No big deal.
The challenge for mixed heritage folks like Kamala is that white folks definitely see color, but both sides of her heritage aren’t so sure she’s ‘black enough ‘ or ‘East Indian enough ‘ or whatever to fit in with them.

But TLD is right, she undoubtedly has experienced folks calling her one slur or another.

I don’t know about the other white folks on here, but I never experienced worse than ‘yuppie ‘ or ‘wasp’, not exactly suggesting hatred or fear.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:31 pm

I just looked it up and all the contemporaneous news stories noted that she was the first black woman Senator from California and the first Senator of East Indian descent. Exactly accurate.

It blows my mind that many white folks think this is something to actually criticize rather than to celebrate.
old salt

Post by old salt »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:30 pm

I just looked it up and all the contemporaneous news stories noted that she was the first black woman Senator from California and the first Senator of East Indian descent. Exactly accurate.

It blows my mind that many white folks think this is something to actually criticize rather than to celebrate.
How 'bout a quote of some white folks criticizing her for her heritage.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Trump Jr. amplified those attacks when, on Thursday, he shared a tweet sent by one user with the assertion, "Kamala Harris is *not* an American Black. She is half Indian and half Jamaican."
"Is this true? Wow," Trump Jr. asked along with the shared tweet. He later deleted his tweet. A spokesman for Trump Jr. told The New York Times that there had been a misunderstanding.
https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/01/politics ... index.html

But hey, why stop at Junior? Senior seems to have no problem criticizing other black female members of Congress for their heritage. I'm sure you've seen those tweets, os.
old salt

Post by old salt »

CU77 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:21 am
Trump Jr. amplified those attacks when, on Thursday, he shared a tweet sent by one user with the assertion, "Kamala Harris is *not* an American Black. She is half Indian and half Jamaican."
"Is this true? Wow," Trump Jr. asked along with the shared tweet. He later deleted his tweet. A spokesman for Trump Jr. told The New York Times that there had been a misunderstanding.
https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/01/politics ... index.html

But hey, why stop at Junior? Senior seems to have no problem criticizing other black female members of Congress for their heritage. I'm sure you've seen those tweets, os.
Actually no, I haven't. I don't follow tweets.
Trump Jr expressed surprise. That's an attack ?
I was referring to anyone in these forums criticizing Kamala for her heritage.
btw -- I didn't bring it up.

Was Trump criticizing the Congresspersons for their heritage or for their attacks on the USA ?
Were they black female members of Congress ? This is all very confusing.
DMac

Post by DMac »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:30 pm

No one is criticizing anyone's color or ethnicity, just finding it a little confusing.
Coincidentally I caught this gal being interviewed tonight, in the interview she described herself as a person of color.
I can't find that interview, but if you click on this one at 1:18 you can hear her describe her color (might want to close your eyes so as to not have any preconcived ideas of what it might be before listening):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVNYj4R2G2o
My English-French, brunette, brown eyed wife had a more brown/olive skin tone than this gal. Guess the new person of color is anyone who doesn't look like Anna Kournakova.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mQJaXwGPlg

Return to “POLITICS”