Pre-2020 summer transfers

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Cooter

Re: Pre-2020 summer transfers

Post by Cooter »

TheBigIguana wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:51 pm
Cooter wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:27 pm
TheBigIguana wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:03 pm Maryland definitely over recruits. They have top 100 recruits transferring out every year. No other program has that problem.
Sometimes the rankings are wrong, and we are still dealing with early recruits.
While it does look like Tillman has over-recruited a bit at attack, although Tillman does use attackmen at midfield, the Terps just have 3 goalies and 3 FOmen heading into the fall. Tillman also needed to bring in transfer LSM Ubriaco to shore up the defense (a ranked recruit).

I think Tillman recruits the way he needs to to be a success at UMd.

I have noticed that you, Hopkins' fans, Big Iguana, have gotten pretty content at not competing for the title these days, but at UMd we still like to be among the top contenders. :P
My school has the same number of titles as Maryland in the last decade and went out in the same round of the tournament this year as the Terps so I'm not exactly sure what you are talking about. It's possible to compete without telling kids things that you can't possibly uphold.
How do you know Tillman tells kids thing he can't possibly uphold? Do you think he promises most of these top 100 recruits starting time as freshmen. Tillman can't even be sure himself how things will go and certainly a top coach needs some level of depth at each position.
Live Free or Die!
PulpExposure

Post by PulpExposure »

Realguy wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:40 am In 2017 Maryland had 26 Freshman and Sophomores on 50 man roster for the National Championship team. By the end of 2019 , 11 were no longer Terps. Conversely, Duke had 21 Freshman / Sophomores on a 42 man roster I 2017 and by the end of 2019 all 21 still remained with the team. UVA had 23 / 44 respective frosh/soph to roster size in 2017 Tiffany's first year so these aren't even his recruits. By the end of the 2019 all but 3 out of the 23 were no longer on the roster. So unless I am missing something there definitely is a force or reason that caused 40 % of those kids not to stick around and let's not forget the 3-4 recruits that don't make out of fall ball and on to the spring roster. Those 3-4 players roughly make up 25 % of the incoming recruits so that only makes you think What the heck is happening each and every year from the time they hit campus in late August until Christmas break. I think with the new portal mania you may see 5-6 kids enter the portal prior to the break unless something changes.Kids and parents today want instant gratification, together with social media everyone wants to post how great their life is.
So I'm a proud Terp (4 degrees from the system actually), but honestly, there's a big difference academically from Maryland to Duke and Virginia. Most kids know they're not going to be able to live as a pro lacrosse player - so I do think kids know that it's probably worth it to stick around at Duke or Virginia even if you're not getting playing time. You're talking about two of the best schools in the country. Maryland is a good school, but it's not in that same tier of education - so if you're not getting playing time there, I can imagine a lot of kids would rather find another college where you can still play lax and get a decent degree.

There's a wee bit of a confounding factor in that analysis.
Voyuer

Post by Voyuer »

Does anyone know if there is a set roster limit in NCAA mens D1 lax. The rulebook says unlimited substitutes ,so not in the rulebook, but assume the NCAA has set limits on roster spots or each conference does?? I know I have seen teams that only keep 42 and those teams that seem to have 60+ on the sidelines for home games.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Xanders twitter
Hopkins rising sophomore Taite Cattoni (@BuryLax, Conn.) has entered the NCAA's transfer portal, according to a source
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Voyuer wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:10 pm Does anyone know if there is a set roster limit in NCAA mens D1 lax. The rulebook says unlimited substitutes ,so not in the rulebook, but assume the NCAA has set limits on roster spots or each conference does?? I know I have seen teams that only keep 42 and those teams that seem to have 60+ on the sidelines for home games.
Believe ACC has a limit for conference games. Also believe NCAA uses one during playoffs but not during the season
reLAX

Post by reLAX »

Peter Brown wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:14 am C'mon everybody...doesn't anyone know where G-town's Brandau will land? Where is Ty Xanders when you need him?!?!

My lacrosse feed is so boring right now. Even the Hopkins posters here are demoralized...their feed has zero false hope, only an earned, bitter vibe. I hardly enjoy the schadenfreude anymore. They're like the Bagel Boss guy on Bay Shore LI yesterday complaining about being 5' tall on dating sites and having women make fun of him all day. Then the big guy just decks him to the ground.
Hear brandau visiting CP...
reLAX

Post by reLAX »

Cooter wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:58 pm
TheBigIguana wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:03 pm Maryland definitely over recruits. They have top 100 recruits transferring out every year. No other program has that problem.
While it does look like Tillman has over-recruited a bit at attack, although Tillman does use attackmen at midfield, the Terps just have 3 goalies and 3 FOmen heading into the fall. Tillman also needed to bring in transfer LSM Ubriaco to shore up the defense (a ranked recruit).

I have noticed that you, Hopkins' fans, Big Iguana, have gotten pretty content at not competing for the title these days, but at UMd we still like to be among the top contenders. :P
My school has the same number of titles as Maryland in the last decade and went out in the same round of the tournament this year as the Terps so I'm not exactly sure what you are talking about. It's possible to compete without telling kids things that you can't possibly uphold.
How do you know Tillman tells kids thing he can't possibly uphold? Do you think he promises most of these top 100 recruits starting time as freshmen. Tillman can't even be sure himself how things will go and certainly a top coach needs some level of depth at each position.

Coach Tillman is a Straight shooter. He has told players in the past they may never see any playing time. It’s their choice to stay or go. It’s also a case of a highly ranked big fish in a little pond going to a big pond where he may not be the best. Or feels he is the best and should be playing. And he isn’t. So he has to accept that and stay or not accept that and believe he will be a big time star at another program. It’s perfectly acceptable and reasonable for a player to want to play. So go to a place you can.
Orbsty and fight for the job. Big time recruits in HS don’t always translate to good college players. It’s a tough thing to accept.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

AreaLax wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:44 pm
Voyuer wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:10 pm Does anyone know if there is a set roster limit in NCAA mens D1 lax. The rulebook says unlimited substitutes ,so not in the rulebook, but assume the NCAA has set limits on roster spots or each conference does?? I know I have seen teams that only keep 42 and those teams that seem to have 60+ on the sidelines for home games.
Believe ACC has a limit for conference games. Also believe NCAA uses one during playoffs but not during the season
not sure about the former (though don't know why they would do that) and the latter used to be true (nc$$ likes to save crumbs where they can).
most limits on rosters for lacrosse are going to be based on what your own athletic department limits you to (as well as a function of your admissions office if your school is difficult to get into). and either can change year-to-year.

fwiw, i have seen a roster of over 70 at one point for a team. and into the 60s for a number of others.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

reLAX wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:55 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:14 am C'mon everybody...doesn't anyone know where G-town's Brandau will land? Where is Ty Xanders when you need him?!?!

My lacrosse feed is so boring right now. Even the Hopkins posters here are demoralized...their feed has zero false hope, only an earned, bitter vibe. I hardly enjoy the schadenfreude anymore. They're like the Bagel Boss guy on Bay Shore LI yesterday complaining about being 5' tall on dating sites and having women make fun of him all day. Then the big guy just decks him to the ground.
Hear brandau visiting CP...
what did tillman tell him about pt?
TheBigIguana

Post by TheBigIguana »

Cooter wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:58 pm

I'm willing to bet he tells them they have a chance to play because I don't see any recruit at that level saying "Yes coach I'll totally come to Maryland to ride the bench." On defense they tend to let guys learn the system before starting. But on offense the guys who are the best play. At best kids who don't play early tend to work themselves to second midfield. Look at this years top offensive players. Fairman, Wisnauskis, Bernhardt, Long and DeMaio all played early. Dubick is the only one who didn't. These kids aren't idiots. They figure out pretty quickly that they are not going to get on the field. But Maryland seems to be the only team that stacks so many recruits that someone leaves every year simply because their path to the field is too clogged. I don't think that's doing right by the players.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Wisnauskis and DeMaio both Red-shirted their freshman year. While Wisnauskis did it at Cuse it still gave him a year of college training before seeing the field.
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

TheBigIguana wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:00 pm I'm willing to bet he tells them they have a chance to play because I don't see any recruit at that level saying "Yes coach I'll totally come to Maryland to ride the bench." On defense they tend to let guys learn the system before starting. But on offense the guys who are the best play. At best kids who don't play early tend to work themselves to second midfield. Look at this years top offensive players. Fairman, Wisnauskis, Bernhardt, Long and DeMaio all played early. Dubick is the only one who didn't. These kids aren't idiots. They figure out pretty quickly that they are not going to get on the field. But Maryland seems to be the only team that stacks so many recruits that someone leaves every year simply because their path to the field is too clogged. I don't think that's doing right by the players.
Actually, Will Snider started most of the season on the first midfield for the Terps. His production wasn't high, and he got beat out by Long near the end of the season. Certainly Snider had his opportunity to play. If Monahan had stayed with the Terps, he most likely would have played last Spring.

Recruits don't sign their letters of intent until November of their senior year, so they can always switch off up till that point.
Live Free or Die!
Realguy

Post by Realguy »

Cooter wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:13 am
TheBigIguana wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:00 pm I'm willing to bet he tells them they have a chance to play because I don't see any recruit at that level saying "Yes coach I'll totally come to Maryland to ride the bench." On defense they tend to let guys learn the system before starting. But on offense the guys who are the best play. At best kids who don't play early tend to work themselves to second midfield. Look at this years top offensive players. Fairman, Wisnauskis, Bernhardt, Long and DeMaio all played early. Dubick is the only one who didn't. These kids aren't idiots. They figure out pretty quickly that they are not going to get on the field. But Maryland seems to be the only team that stacks so many recruits that someone leaves every year simply because their path to the field is too clogged. I don't think that's doing right by the players.
Actually, Will Snider started most of the season on the first midfield for the Terps. His production wasn't high, and he got beat out by Long near the end of the season. Certainly Snider had his opportunity to play. If Monahan had stayed with the Terps, he most likely would have played last Spring.

Recruits don't sign their letters of intent until November of their senior year, so they can always switch off up till that point.
Last edited by Realguy on Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Realguy wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:59 pm If you say so....Not ! Do you even know what an exit meeting is ? If a kid bounces the next fall , he has been told that he doesn't have a shot and that's what happened to Monohan. The player gets called into a meeting surrounded by every coach on the staff and gets berated to the point that the kid wants to quit.
I don't doubt that Tillman would give an honest assessment of where a player stands and what they need to do to see more playing time, but I doubt that he and his staff do what you're suggesting. Just not Tillman's style.

Let's not forget that Tillman has a history of playing "program guys" who develop later in their careers. Dubick, Will Snider, Christian Zawadzki, Russ Masci, Nick Mannis, Danny Dolan, Wes Janeck, Colin Giblin, Michael Adler, Ben Chisolm, Adam Dimillo, Bobby Gribbin. That's just off the top of my head.

If Tillman was doing what some of you are saying he does (in college football, they refer to it as processing players), you wouldn't see that many players earning time that late in their careers. They'd all be processed. You'd see a mix of returning starters with a bunch of freshman/transfer starters.
TheBigIguana

Post by TheBigIguana »

Snider doesn't really prove your point since he played 7 games on second midfield as a junior and started for half the season as a senior and he's the best example of an offensive player getting playing time late in their career. The Terps recruiting is TOP level. There is no shame in bringing in great players that will deserve to play early. But do they need to recruit 5+ top 100 attack/offensive midfield players in every class? I'd say no they should be more straightforward about how much players actually have a chance at playing.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

TheBigIguana wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:44 pm

Snider doesn't really prove your point since he played 7 games on second midfield as a junior and started for half the season as a senior and he's the best example of an offensive player getting playing time late in their career. The Terps recruiting is TOP level. There is no shame in bringing in great players that will deserve to play early. But do they need to recruit 5+ top 100 attack/offensive midfield players in every class? I'd say no they should be more straightforward about how much players actually have a chance at playing.
So you think the recruits don't know who is on the roster or who has committed?
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

DMac wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:54 pm Of course the gist of unreal's posts is that playing lacrosse at UMD is challenging (just as it is everywhere else) and that part is real. Bringing in the SEALs and folks drowning in pools is way over the top and a lot BS. How many of those laxers at UMD drop out cuz they couldn't cut the mustard?
https://sealgrinderpt.com/blog/navy-sea ... seal.html/
Realguy needs to get real and come on and say, okay, I got a little carried away with myself and exaggerated the hell out of the whole picture.
JFTR, being out in a rowboat at 0430 is certainly no BFD, and no college coach with half a brain is putting his players in life threatening situations.
Cut the muster! Look it up.
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Look what up, the making of SEALs at UMD?
The badgering and belittling of laxers at UMD?
How I survived lacrosse at UMD despite all the abuse?
Why Tils is the meanest SOB in all of college lacrosse?
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

TheBigIguana wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:44 pm But do they need to recruit 5+ top 100 attack/offensive midfield players in every class? I'd say no they should be more straightforward about how much players actually have a chance at playing.
I don't know that the Terps recruit 5+ top 100 attack/offensive midfielders in every class. Going by Inside Lacrosse's ranking:
The Terps only have 4 in the 2020 class so far: Jack Koras, Eric Malever, Gabe Goforth, Michael O'Connell
The Terps only had 3 in last years class: Kyle Long, George Wichelns, and John Geppert.

This fall's freshmen class has: N.DeMaio, D.Pallonetti, Jack Brennan, Jack Sawyer, Dawson Wynne in IL's top 100 rising seniors
Dawson Wynne might be more of a two-way midfield recruit, than an offensive midfielder.
For the 2017 class the Terps had in IL's Power 100: Bubba Fairman, James Avanzato, Roman Puglise, and Wade Oursler
It is true that A.DeMaio joined the previous Spring, but Puglise so far has played ssdm - so 4

For 2016 class the Terps had in IL's power 100: Jared Bernhardt, Russell Masci, Drew Harrison, Jack Wilson.

4 looks more like the average to me.
Live Free or Die!
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Ty Yanko transfers from Hobart to back north of the border. The NEC has played some great lacrosse the past few years, and I’d kind of hoped Yanko could fill a role with some of Hobart’s other fine Canadian talent.
Ty Yanko in his second year of BC Jr A ball really had a turnaround season.
https://www.bcjall.com/news/new-west-s- ... k-to-canad

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”