Pre-2020 summer transfers

D1 Mens Lacrosse
wgdsr

Re: Pre-2020 summer transfers

Post by wgdsr »

and none of what maryland is doing is exclusive to them. hopkins, syracuse, some socon teams, caa, bunch of other mid-majors. there's even an ivy or 2 that look like they may be headed down this path, which i'm not sure i thought i'd see. service academies are probably the biggest proponents, maybe for some expected reasons in the other duties and standards that they have. any player/family should be able to see with eyes wide open what the paths may be at any particular school if they can do simple math.

if that's what you sign up for, it shouldn't be surprising or noteworthy that that is what you get.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

It's called realism. The best thing the HC told my son while on a visit before he committed is that I can see you playing a pivotal role by your junior and senior year, maybe your soph year.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Voyuer

Post by Voyuer »

There are certainly programs that always over recruit. So they will have the most transfers. Whether D1 lax players who are not seeing the field, stay and finish four years of lax, depends on how much they love the school and their teammates. Certain schools don't play a lot of guys yet nobody transfers or quits. Other schools/teams seem to always have 3-4 guys no longer on the roster.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

Voyuer wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:18 am There are certainly programs that always over recruit. So they will have the most transfers. Whether D1 lax players who are not seeing the field, stay and finish four years of lax, depends on how much they love the school and their teammates. Certain schools don't play a lot of guys yet nobody transfers or quits. Other schools/teams seem to always have 3-4 guys no longer on the roster.
Exactly, why any prospective student athlete should ask themselves, " Would I still be happy attending college here if I didn't play lacrosse" With injuries, development, etc., things don't always go according to plan but if you are in the right place, less of a need to transfer.
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

Voyuer wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:18 am There are certainly programs that always over recruit. So they will have the most transfers. Whether D1 lax players who are not seeing the field, stay and finish four years of lax, depends on how much they love the school and their teammates. Certain schools don't play a lot of guys yet nobody transfers or quits. Other schools/teams seem to always have 3-4 guys no longer on the roster.
I think I would phrase it more like
"Whether D1 lax players who are not seeing the field, stay and finish four years of lax, depends on how much they like the school versus getting a chance to play lacrosse."
I add the last phrase, because various student athletes put different values on "the chance to play lacrosse" vs academics.
Other things can also influence this - injury, misbehavior, grades, ...
Live Free or Die!
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

I would love to know the name of the school where nobody transfers or quits. I am trying to think of one but can't.
lagerhead

Post by lagerhead »

As soon as a recruit has signed his letter of intent the coach is ACTIVELY looking for his replacement.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

So if a coach has available slots but enough players to field a team, he should:

1) stop recruiting because the team is good enough
2) recruit worse players than are on the roster, so the existing players don't feel bad
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

keno in reno wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:37 pm So if a coach has available slots but enough players to field a team, he should:

1) stop recruiting because the team is good enough
2) recruit worse players than are on the roster, so the existing players don't feel bad
ya, how it's reading.
i prefer to think these are just mantras being reposted so we don't forget them.

if i'm an ad and my coach isn't trying to get the best players he can to fill out his team, years into the future... his results probably are gonna need to be a bar higher than the mendoza/benefit-of-the-doubt line.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

It’s the coach’s job to improve his team. He owes itvgo the players, the coaching staff and his employer.

My first year at Hopkins Scottie has a meeting with us. Tells us that while we are good enough athletically we need to improve our skills but probably won’t see any PT until junior year because roster etc.

One wanted PT and he picked up the phone and called another coach and said he had a player that might fit his program well.

There were kids who would go to him when in HS and ask if they would be a good fit for a different school.
Voyuer

Post by Voyuer »

Henpecked wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:44 pm
I would love to know the name of the school where nobody transfers or quits. I am trying to think of one but can't.
Bucknell went 4 years that i know of...i am sure there are others that have very little attrition.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

C'mon everybody...doesn't anyone know where G-town's Brandau will land? Where is Ty Xanders when you need him?!?!

My lacrosse feed is so boring right now. Even the Hopkins posters here are demoralized...their feed has zero false hope, only an earned, bitter vibe. I hardly enjoy the schadenfreude anymore. They're like the Bagel Boss guy on Bay Shore LI yesterday complaining about being 5' tall on dating sites and having women make fun of him all day. Then the big guy just decks him to the ground.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

I guess some people had not heard of the Bagel Boss guy.

Bagel Boss guy (ie: the current state of Johnny Hopkins lacrosse, angry at being 5' tall):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmTNIaat6eg
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Peter Brown wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:21 am I guess some people had not heard of the Bagel Boss guy.

Bagel Boss guy (ie: the current state of Johnny Hopkins lacrosse, angry at being 5' tall):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmTNIaat6eg

LOL, too funny. Thanks for the good laugh PB
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Looks like a former Hopkins SSDM but with more fire.
TheBigIguana

Post by TheBigIguana »

Cooter wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:27 pm
TheBigIguana wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:03 pm Maryland definitely over recruits. They have top 100 recruits transferring out every year. No other program has that problem.
Sometimes the rankings are wrong, and we are still dealing with early recruits.
While it does look like Tillman has over-recruited a bit at attack, although Tillman does use attackmen at midfield, the Terps just have 3 goalies and 3 FOmen heading into the fall. Tillman also needed to bring in transfer LSM Ubriaco to shore up the defense (a ranked recruit).

I think Tillman recruits the way he needs to to be a success at UMd.

I have noticed that you, Hopkins' fans, Big Iguana, have gotten pretty content at not competing for the title these days, but at UMd we still like to be among the top contenders. :P
My school has the same number of titles as Maryland in the last decade and went out in the same round of the tournament this year as the Terps so I'm not exactly sure what you are talking about. It's possible to compete without telling kids things that you can't possibly uphold.
Dunker

Post by Dunker »

Voyeur: Bucknell defenseman Teddy Mckenzie transferred to DU circa 2013. He played football and lacrosse at Bucknell.

The stuff about Bagel Boy is too funny. It was on the NY TV news channels last night.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Didn't Peter Conley transfer to Duke for his senior year? Or was that a grad transfer?
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Wheels wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:25 pm Didn't Peter Conley transfer to Duke for his senior year? Or was that a grad transfer?
Grad transfer. He spent 4 years at Georgetown
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
HGK25

Post by HGK25 »

Georgetown does not have a one year post grad program as other schools do. That was a factor in Conley - Duke and now Aslanian - ND, playing their RS years away from the Hilltop. Hoyas do have one, possibly two, impact RS returning this year.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”